Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[MLB] ... and the crowd chanted "We Want Weder"

Posted by ugarte 
[MLB] ... and the crowd chanted "We Want Weder"
Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: August 23, 2007 10:32AM

As the last run crossed the plate, even the home fans started calling for Weder as the Rangers beat the Orioles 30-3 in Baltimore.

Re: [MLB] ... and the crowd chanted "We Want Weder"
Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: August 23, 2007 11:24AM

The most absurd stat for this game is that Texas pitcher Wes Littleton gets credit for a SAVE for 3 innings worth of work. When he entered the game in the bottom of the 7th, the score was 14-3.

Box Score

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: August 23, 2007 12:21PM

If you're a baseball fan listen to Tim Kurkjian's comments about the game on ESPN.com. He is positively gushing about the game, loving the historical absurdity of it all. Especially the save. I feel exactly the same way.

Hockey is great, but you don't get the same "you never know what you're going to see factor".

Date: August 23, 2007 01:05PM

KeithK
If you're a baseball fan listen to Tim Kurkjian's comments about the game on ESPN.com. He is positively gushing about the game, loving the historical absurdity of it all. Especially the save. I feel exactly the same way.

Hockey is great, but you don't get the same "you never know what you're going to see factor".

Unfortunately with the Red Sox, double digit LOBs is getting all too commonplace help.

For any baseball fans in the Chicago area, I still have a ticket available for the Saturday and Sunday CWS v. BOS games.

Posted by: BCrespi (209.191.175.---)
Date: August 23, 2007 01:52PM

Rita
The most absurd stat for this game is that Texas pitcher Wes Littleton gets credit for a SAVE for 3 innings worth of work. When he entered the game in the bottom of the 7th, the score was 14-3.

Box Score

Yes, the save in that situation is definitely ridiculous, however, my favorite occurence from the game was that Texas only scored in 4 of the 9 innings! Baltimore actually held them scoreless the majority of innings.

That must have been an awful clubhouse to be in. Not only getting drubbed by 27 but then having to sit around and play another game, which they also lost. Brutal.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: August 23, 2007 02:14PM

BCrespi
That must have been an awful clubhouse to be in. Not only getting drubbed by 27 but then having to sit around and play another game, which they also lost. Brutal.
And the manager had just completed a contract extension that morning. I wonder if Mr. Angelos is feeling buyer's remorse about now? :-)

Posted by: Rita (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: August 26, 2007 11:33PM

BCrespi
Rita

Box Score

Yes, the save in that situation is definitely ridiculous, however, my favorite occurence from the game was that Texas only scored in 4 of the 9 innings! Baltimore actually held them scoreless the majority of innings.

Listening to the Mets-Dodger game tonight on ESPN radio, they mentioned this save and that it was due to "3 innings or more of effective relief". I still think you would have to be very ineffective (and inept) to give up an 11 run lead.

Today's "thing that you don't expect to see at a baseball game" is also from the Mets-Dodger game. David "Boomer" Wells put down a bunt single to get on base in the top of the 5th. Wells ended up scoring and tying up the game that the Dodgers went on to win.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: August 27, 2007 11:14AM

Yes, the save rule stipulates "effective" relief for the three inning case (with no score requirements). The definition of effective is left up to the official scorer. If a reliver have up five runs, for example, in three innings I wouldn't consider it effective enough for a save. But I couldn't draw a concrete line.

Wells with a bunt single? Will the wonders never cease?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: August 27, 2007 03:19PM

KeithK

To be fair, Wright couldn't really get a handle on the ball with the ground shaking that much :-P (that's why they call him Boomer, right?)

Date: August 27, 2007 04:18PM

DeltaOne81
KeithK

To be fair, Wright couldn't really get a handle on the ball with the ground shaking that much :-P (that's why they call him Boomer, right?)

Now, now. If that were true, don't you think the USGS earthquake center would have detected it? ;-)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: August 28, 2007 10:35AM

Rita
DeltaOne81
KeithK

Now, now. If that were true, don't you think the USGS earthquake center would have detected it? ;-)

"Do you want to know the terrifying truth? Or do you wanna see me sock a few dingers?!?"

Date: August 28, 2007 12:45PM

DeltaOne81
Rita
DeltaOne81
KeithK

"Do you want to know the terrifying truth? Or do you wanna see me sock a few dingers?!?"

Dingers, please. You know how chicks really dig the long ball! :-P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login