Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Newman Arena and Lynah Rink Conflicts

Posted by CornellFan 
Newman Arena and Lynah Rink Conflicts
Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: August 13, 2007 11:53AM

In years past, Cornell basketball's home attendance at Newman Arena suffered somewhat because of competition with simultaneously played Cornell hockey games at Lynah Rink. This year, there are minimal conflicts for Cornell athletics fans. Cornell hockey and basketball will only play home games on the same day on three dates this season.

On January 19 when the Cornell basketball team hosts Columbia, the Big Red hockey team hosts Clarkson. While this is a pivotal league game for all teams involved, there is a possibility that Cornell will set the men's basketball game for an afternoon starting time, thereby allowing the Cornell and Ithaca community to see both events.

On February 29 and March 1, the basketball and hockey teams both host Dartmouth and Harvard. Fortunately for Cornell basketball, neither Dartmouth or Harvard are expected to emerge as "first division" Ivy teams. Therefore, if you were to pick a weekend where you did not need a big home crowd, this would be the weekend.

Overall, the schedule looks promising for drawing crowds to Cornell basketball games. If the team produces wins, there are few excuses left for the Program in failing to sell out Newman Arena.

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Re: Newman Arena and Lynah Rink Conflicts
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: August 13, 2007 12:05PM

CornellFan
On January 19 when the Cornell basketball team hosts Columbia, the Big Red hockey team hosts Clarkson. While this is a pivotal league game for all teams involved, there is a possibility that Cornell will set the men's basketball game for an afternoon starting time, thereby allowing the Cornell and Ithaca community to see both events.
It'd be nice if they could do this more often. Unfortunately, I suppose it's not feasible because of the travel involved for teams playing at Cornell and Columbia on back-to-back dates. For a game against Columbia, though, it seems like it should be possible.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 13, 2007 01:49PM

I always saw the presence of 4,000 people next door as a benefit to home attendance at Newman, not a detriment.

Sure they may have showed up for only 20-25 minutes of the basketball games, but otherwise, how many would be there at all?

Agreed though, the best scenario would be back-to-back games, basketball then hockey.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2007 01:50PM by Jordan 04.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2007 02:22PM

I'll believe Harvard is easy pickings in basketball after we show we can beat them. Last year's games were embarrassments.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: August 13, 2007 02:52PM

CornellFan
Overall, the schedule looks promising for drawing crowds to Cornell basketball games. If the team produces wins, there are few excuses left for the Program in failing to sell out Newman Arena.
You mean, other than historical lack of interest?

(Says a person that went to every home basketball game that didn't conflict with hockey/vacation during my time at Cornell.)

Posted by: ebilmes (---.37.79.126.adsl.snet.net)
Date: August 13, 2007 04:43PM

January 19 is also the weekend at the end of rush week, so attendance can be expected to drop for both events. I remember the hockey games that weekend last year were fairly empty as a result of the invite only events Friday night and then mandatory contacts on Saturday night.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: August 13, 2007 05:00PM

ebilmes
January 19 is also the weekend at the end of rush week, so attendance can be expected to drop for both events. I remember the hockey games that weekend last year were fairly empty as a result of the invite only events Friday night and then mandatory contacts on Saturday night.
When will those silly Greeks learn to get their priorities straight? You schedule your lives around hockey, not the other way around!

Date: August 13, 2007 05:04PM

ugarte
CornellFan
You mean, other than historical lack of interest?
Attendance growth should be expected to lag success on the court/ice/field. While Cornell basketball has been better and looks promising the team hasn't achieved much in the way of game success yet. Being pre-season favorites in the Ivy League isn't likely to sell many tickets to people who weren't going to go anyway. Being pre-season favorites after winning last year's title might be a different story.

Scratch One Off the List!
Date: August 14, 2007 03:05PM

ITHACA, N.Y. -- One change has been made to the upcoming 2007-08 Cornell men's hockey schedule in order to accomodate a national television audience. Cornell will take on Clarkson at 4 p.m. on Sunday, January 20, 2008, at Lynah Rink in a contest that will be televised by ESPNU.

The game against Clarkson was originally scheduled to be played at 7 p.m. on Saturday, January 19, 2008, but has been moved with the approval of both schools. Cornell will still play St. Lawrence on Friday, January 18, with an off-day in between the games against the North Country foes.

Additional television arrangements for the upcoming season will be announced as the season gets nearer, but none should require dates of the games to be changed.

Re: Scratch One Off the List!
Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: August 14, 2007 04:07PM

That might actually help avoid rush stuff, though I have no remote idea of the schedule.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: August 14, 2007 05:01PM

CornellFan
ITHACA, N.Y. -- One change has been made to the upcoming 2007-08 Cornell men's hockey schedule in order to accomodate a national television audience. Cornell will take on Clarkson at 4 p.m. on Sunday, January 20, 2008, at Lynah Rink in a contest that will be televised by ESPNU.

The game against Clarkson was originally scheduled to be played at 7 p.m. on Saturday, January 19, 2008, but has been moved with the approval of both schools. Cornell will still play St. Lawrence on Friday, January 18, with an off-day in between the games against the North Country foes.

Additional television arrangements for the upcoming season will be announced as the season gets nearer, but none should require dates of the games to be changed.
That's a first - cornell hockey content in the "other sports" forum. This is good news - now all I have to do is find a bar in my neighborhood with ESPNU.

Date: August 14, 2007 05:27PM

I believe that Time Warner Cable will be adding ESPNU throughout the country. I am not sure when it will take effect. Hopefully by October.

Date: August 14, 2007 05:40PM

CornellFan
I believe that Time Warner Cable will be adding ESPNU throughout the country. I am not sure when it will take effect. Hopefully by October.
When I had TWC (and Dish, for that matter), I had ESPNU. Cablevision sucks.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2007 06:53PM

that sucks. Makes coming home for those games so much harder.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.37.79.126.adsl.snet.net)
Date: August 14, 2007 10:16PM

French Rage
That might actually help avoid rush stuff, though I have no remote idea of the schedule.

It will. I think contacts began at 8 last year. I doubt that factored into their decision, although a full Lynah would look better on TV.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: August 14, 2007 11:39PM

ugarte
CornellFan

That's a first - cornell hockey content in the "other sports" forum. This is good news - now all I have to do is find a bar in my neighborhood with ESPNU.

Could always just join us at Ship of Fools.

Of course when I say "us" I mean "them," since I hope to be at the game. But if I'm not, I'm sure SOF would love to have us.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2007 09:27AM

If you show up in a sports bar and ask for ESPNU, it helps to tell the barkeep what channel it's on on DirecTV or Dish or whatever. They know where ESPN is for sure, but not always the tertiary satellite channels.

Posted by: redGrinch (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 22, 2007 01:27AM

ummm.... isn't that NFC/AFC Championship game weekend? while bars (at least in DC) have been willing to accomodate us during NCAA hoops play.... I think bumping NFL could be completely another story....

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 22, 2007 01:58AM

redGrinch
ummm.... isn't that NFC/AFC Championship game weekend? while bars (at least in DC) have been willing to accomodate us during NCAA hoops play.... I think bumping NFL could be completely another story....

Then it'll probably be OK in New York, since that's beyond the first weekend of playoffs and thus the Giants will be out. :-D

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2007 03:01AM by French Rage.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: August 22, 2007 03:50AM

redGrinch

Well, on the plus side, the NFL will be on network television, so you'd only need to commandeer a TV, not a satellite tuner.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 22, 2007 08:38AM

French Rage
redGrinch

Then it'll probably be OK in New York, since that's beyond the first weekend of playoffs and thus the Giants will be out. :-D
The irony of a Redskins fan saying this is staggering. doh

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: August 22, 2007 02:29PM

redGrinch
ummm.... isn't that NFC/AFC Championship game weekend? ...

I think they call it the Super Bowl these days.

Date: August 22, 2007 04:55PM

Chris '03
redGrinch
ummm.... isn't that NFC/AFC Championship game weekend? ...

I think they call it the Super Bowl these days.
Heh. No.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login