Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

CSTV sucks (lacrosse edition (Hobart section))

Posted by billhoward 
CSTV sucks (lacrosse edition (Hobart section))
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2007 09:16AM

The CSTV camera-work for the Hobart at Cornell lacrosse game May 4 was inspiring in its ability to:

- miss players with the ball
- miss players with the ball as they pass off for goals, or score
- unable to find a Canadian flag without going from the optical zoom to dgital zoom part of the camcorder (was that smog in Ithaca?)
- unable to find the American flag (hint: south of end of the field since about 1915), unable to zoom in, unable to focus
- repeatedly find the window frames of the press box while panning
- have the scoreboard overlay in the upper left corner which sometimes cuts off the view of the goalie (ESPN is terrible at this, too - the producers apparently don't realize that's where the goal is when you capture the game with the goalie on the left of the picture)
- other?

The guy with the camera is probably getting twenty-five bucks for this and his tripod probably recesses into the press box so far he can't help but catch the window frames as he pans. I don't think he or she can be faulted for being the only camera person or having mediocre equipment.

Compare that with the Duke broadcast with multiple cameras and an announcer for the video, not just the radio guys being simulcast. Not to mention the quality of the Duke sports site. (CSTV provides the cornellbigred.com templates and look and feel, so they deserve credit/blame for that, too.)

Let's hope the reports from the sports information office ("we hear you're complaints; we're working on it";) are correct and not just ways to buy time.

Re: CSTV sucks (lacrosse edition (Hobart section))
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2007 10:22AM

good luck finding a sober camera guy on slop day.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.mtholyoke.edu)
Date: May 05, 2007 11:16AM

To be fair, the camera wok is (I believe) not CSTV's fault. Cornell hires the camera men.

Technical difficulties and piss poor customer service are CSTV's fault. Platform incompatibilities are entirely CSTV's fault. Not providing critical games on a pay service in order to boost ratings on a TV channel that 99% of people don't get is CSTVs fault.

Poor camera work, that's all on Cornell. Although I do understand that professional, experienced camera men are far too expensive (and probably near impossible to come by) unless you're a major even with millions watching. But, a little instruction couldn't hurt.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: May 05, 2007 11:40AM

Chris '03

The Scheollkopf announcer is a senior in my fraternity. Based on how he was doing a couple hours earlier, I'm surprised he was able to make it through the lengthy senior night introductions as well as he was.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: May 05, 2007 06:27PM

ebilmes
Chris '03

The Scheollkopf announcer is a senior in my fraternity. Based on how he was doing a couple hours earlier, I'm surprised he was able to make it through the lengthy senior night introductions as well as he was.

The proper state for PA announcing in Schoellkopf is non-sober, as far as I'm concerned. At least that's the state I was in the majority of times I did it.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login