Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

M Lax Results 5/4-5/6

Posted by Chris '03 
M Lax Results 5/4-5/6
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 04, 2007 07:17PM

1 and 2 go down in the MAAC. #3 St. Joe's will play #4 Providence Sunday. That makes things interesting for CU. Neither of those teams are automatics to come calling on Ithaca.

PC is a flight south (presumably to Duke) or a bus to Albany or maybe Princeton (if they get a seed).
St. Joe's is 4+ hours to Ithaca, but only about 2 down to any Balto area school.

If Albany goes down in the AE tourney, we may see them in Ithaca. Colgate still has a shot to get in which is an obvious pairing. Otherwise all bets are off on who they send up to Ithaca. Virginia got hosed with UND flying in last year. It was their closest game of the tournament.

Games to watch:
Albany in the AE tourney
Colgate/'Cuse
MAAC title game
Yale/Maryland
I guess Duke/Air Force

Re: M Lax Results 5/4-5/6
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 05, 2007 01:15PM

Toothpaste at NoOrangeJuice is on Time Warner cable channel 3 in Albany. Likely on in Ithaca, too.

Posted by: Rita (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: May 05, 2007 01:24PM

JHU 3 v. Loy 1
5 minutes left in the first.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2007 02:21PM

5-4 Hop very early second half.

Princeton 8, Brown 6 in the third.

Colgate 4, Syracuse 3 at the half.

Maryland 11, Yale 1 at the...it just doesn't matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2007 02:24PM by Al DeFlorio.

Date: May 05, 2007 03:00PM

Colgate 10-4 mid-4th

Princeton 8-7 late

Posted by: Chris '03 (207.210.130.---)
Date: May 05, 2007 03:10PM

gate wins 12-5
Albany holds on to win AE 15-14
Rutgers ends any UMass mirable bid 9-8
yale didn't deserve to make it anyway...
Hop by 3 over loyola with a few minutes left

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.mtholyoke.edu)
Date: May 05, 2007 03:11PM

Princeton squeaks by 8-7

So does Albany, 15-14 over UMBC

Colgate's lead, now 11-5, could leave Princeton in trouble. Their biggest win over Syracuse looks worse each day, almost certain that Syracuse will end up in the 16-20 bracket. That is officially the biggest factor, could Princeton miss the dance?

Date: May 05, 2007 03:18PM

DeltaOne81
Colgate's lead, now 11-5, could leave Princeton in trouble. Their biggest win over Syracuse looks worse each day, almost certain that Syracuse will end up in the 16-20 bracket. That is officially the biggest factor, could Princeton miss the dance?
With a 10-3 record? Princeton? Tierney? Not a chance. [Although I'd love to eat those words.whistle]

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: May 05, 2007 03:18PM

If Colgate squeaks in to the tournament after this win we might be seeing them next weekend (with the MAAC autobid going to a school far from Ithaca).

Date: May 05, 2007 03:23PM

redhair34
If Colgate squeaks in to the tournament after this win we might be seeing them next weekend (with the MAAC autobid going to a school far from Ithaca).

If Colgate gets in you can almost guarantee they'll be in Ithaca. Where else to they go? Albany? I'm not convinced they get a seed and if they do it might a logical opponent for UND to fly in. In the MAAC, St. Joe's could go south to almost anyone, while Providence would make the committee mad travel wise.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2007 03:31PM

Prnceton beating Brown at home by just 1 makes our 3-goal win at Brown seem more reasonable.

Princeton's going to the tournament for sure. Question is how high the Tigers are seeded. Their only name wins were over Syracuse and Dartmouth. Their losses were to quality teams but they're still losses.

Date: May 05, 2007 03:44PM

Al DeFlorio
DeltaOne81
With a 10-3 record? Princeton? Tierney? Not a chance. [Although I'd love to eat those words.whistle]

With basically no quality wins, an RPI in the 10ish range, and a SoS in the 20ish range? They're on the bubble. They may be very well end up being on the right side of it, and the color orange may help, but I can't see them as a lock.

Date: May 05, 2007 03:46PM

DeltaOne81
Al DeFlorio
DeltaOne81

With basically no quality wins, an RPI in the 10ish range, and a SoS in the 20ish range? They're on the bubble. They may be very well end up being on the right side of it, and the color orange may help, but I can't see them as a lock.

And they certainly shouldn't get a seed.

Date: May 05, 2007 03:47PM

DeltaOne81
With one pair of quarterfinals being played at Princeton, they'll be in--with a shot at playing at home on week two.

Date: May 05, 2007 07:19PM

For those arguing Princeton doesn't deserve any of the 16 slots: Name a team you'd not want to be playing in round 2 at Princeton. I'd say, "Princeton."

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2007 07:25PM

I'm thinking we're gonna get Colgate in the first round, wherever we're seeded. Seedings don't necessarily mean much in terms of the quality of your opponent until the quarters. [Siena, you bleepin' weenies...]

Posted by: Chris '03 (137.99.117.---)
Date: May 05, 2007 07:57PM

billhoward
For those arguing Princeton doesn't deserve any of the 16 slots: Name a team you'd not want to be playing in round 2 at Princeton. I'd say, "Princeton."

Anyone with a good faceoff man...

I don't want to see Navy in the second round... particularly at Navy.
I'm also not keen on UNC, but I'm not sure why.
Princeton would be pretty high on my list of quarters opponents I wouldn't mind seeing actually.

Date: May 05, 2007 08:21PM

We have a medium-short list of team such as Navy and Syracuse we wouldn't want to be paired up against because they have long midfields or faceoff wizards. OTOH, while Cornell 2007 may not be Virginia 2006, there is probably a long list of teams that would not like to be paired up against Cornell under the latest possible game.

Date: May 05, 2007 10:22PM

Loyola's faceoff guy is tough. Played for Yale last year and led the nation.

Date: May 06, 2007 01:46AM

billhoward

I never said they didn't deserve it. I'm just looking objectively at the criteria, and there's no doubt objectively that Princeton is on the bubble. Probably on the 'in'-side of the bubble, but bubble nonetheless.

But considering that, a) its Princeton, b) its Tierney, c) Princeton is hosting, and d) Tierney is on the selection committee, I fully expect to see Princeton there. But seeing as the top 2 criteria are 1) quality wins and 2) SoS, and in neither is Princeton in the top 16, they will be very questionable in doing so (but they will anyway).

Date: May 06, 2007 07:50AM

DeltaOne81
I never said they didn't deserve it. I'm just looking objectively at the criteria, and there's no doubt objectively that Princeton is on the bubble. Probably on the 'in'-side of the bubble, but bubble nonetheless.
Another illustration of the inadequacy of the criteria.

Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2007 10:51AM

DeltaOne81I never said they didn't deserve it. I'm just looking objectively at the criteria, and there's no doubt objectively that Princeton is on the bubble. Probably on the 'in'-side of the bubble, but bubble nonetheless.

But considering that, a) its Princeton, b) its Tierney, c) Princeton is hosting, and d) Tierney is on the selection committee, I fully expect to see Princeton there. But seeing as the top 2 criteria are 1) quality wins and 2) SoS, and in neither is Princeton in the top 16, they will be very questionable in doing so (but they will anyway).[/quote

For what it's worth, Tierney is no longer on the committee. The committee is comprised of Butler associate AD Jon Hind, chair for the 3rd year in a row (interesting since Butler dropped men's lacrosse on the eve of this season leaving their players and the teams on their schedule in a mess), Albany Coach Scott Marr, Maryland Coach Dave Cottle, Hofstra AD Jack Hayes, and Bucknell senior associate AD Tim Pavlechko.

Princeton Sucks Shirt
Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2007 04:48PM

This seemed like as good a thread as any to use for this post.

I was catching the last day of skiing at Sugarbush today and saw a guy with a Princeton sweatshirt. When I looked again I realized under Princeton the word "Sucks" was written clearly with a Sharpie. I asked what school he went to and he said "Cornell". He is on the track team and Princeton is their big rival. Then we talked about how well the lacrosse team has done so far.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2007 08:09PM

With just under an hour until the selections are announced, the tide of opinion (Laxpower, Inside Lacrosse) seems to be moving towards Duke as the top seed. What a bizarre circumstance where a head-to-head victory (on their turf no less) is only considered as a "secondary criteria."

As others have noted, a second seed (I will presume we will get at least that slot) would not seem to have much effect on quality of opponents throughout the tournament. Perhaps the perceived (if not actual) disrespect would work in our favor by adding to the team's collective chip on the shoulder.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dsl2.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 06, 2007 08:20PM

scoop85
With just under an hour until the selections are announced, the tide of opinion (Laxpower, Inside Lacrosse) seems to be moving towards Duke as the top seed. What a bizarre circumstance where a head-to-head victory (on their turf no less) is only considered as a "secondary criteria."

If it was any team other than Duke, I think that the committee would use their subjective powers to make Cornell, the head-to-head winner and undefeated team the no. 1 seed. But with Duke, having them no. 1 is basically going to grab free promotion for the tourney. ESPN and other won't be able to help themselves from at least a blurb about how Duke lax has bounced back and garnered the top seed.

Re: Princeton Sucks Shirt
Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2007 08:47PM

cth95
This seemed like as good a thread as any to use for this post.

I was catching the last day of skiing at Sugarbush today and saw a guy with a Princeton sweatshirt. When I looked again I realized under Princeton the word "Sucks" was written clearly with a Sharpie. I asked what school he went to and he said "Cornell". He is on the track team and Princeton is their big rival. Then we talked about how well the lacrosse team has done so far.

Seems he should have been at the Outdoor Heps instead of skiing, no?

Posted by: BillCharlton (---.dialup.tpkaks.swbell.net)
Date: May 06, 2007 08:50PM

If the committee uses quality wins as the primary selection criterion, I expect to be seeded as low as 4 or 5. In an interview following the Hobart game, Tambroni said that after talking to other coaches he told the team that they could be seeded 3 or worse. Given the weakness of the Ivies this year (essentially no quality wins except for us), this result would not be surprising.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: May 06, 2007 09:03PM

And duke gets #1. They play providence.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: May 06, 2007 09:04PM

And we get the 4 to play towson. We are in the quarters in princeton if we win.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login