Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

UMass 9, Syracuse 7 (F) - no NCAAs for Syracuse

Posted by DeltaOne81 
UMass 9, Syracuse 7 (F) - no NCAAs for Syracuse
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 28, 2007 04:51PM

Just got back from Providence and turned this on...

Now 7-6

Its on ESPNU, btw

Now 8-6

Now 8-7
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2007 05:12PM by DeltaOne81.

Re: UMass 8, Syracuse 7 (5:00 4th)
Date: April 28, 2007 05:00PM

9-7, 3:25

Re: UMass 9, Syracuse 7 (5:00 4th)
Date: April 28, 2007 05:06PM

1:19 left, TO UMass

Re: UMass 9, Syracuse 7 (1:00 4th)
Date: April 28, 2007 05:10PM

17 seconds left, Syracuse gets testy

Re: UMass 9, Syracuse 7 (F) - no NCAAs for Syracuse
Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 28, 2007 05:37PM

Excellent news!

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2007 06:37PM

ugarte
Excellent news!

Unless you're Princeton in which case you may be out now too.

Date: April 28, 2007 06:50PM

Chris '03
ugarte
Excellent news!

Unless you're Princeton in which case you may be out now too.

Well, 'quality wins' and all that are based on RPI, not whether you make the tournament or not (as best I know). So, this doesn't hurt anymore than any other loss (i.e. I don't think there's a cliff factor there).

Of course with Syracuse at #13 before this loss, if it drops them out of the top 15, it very well may hurt them for that reason. The good news for Princeton is that they have a pretty good RPI and pretty good SOS, and those factors have counted for more in the last couple years.

Date: April 28, 2007 07:14PM

But if you consider that the handbook lists results vs. t-15 teams as the #1 factor in selection, ahead of SOS and straight RPI, Princeton is in a pretty poor spot with potentially a 0-3 record in that department.

OT: Chances of facing Albany in the first round?
Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 28, 2007 07:14PM

edit: moved to different thread
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2007 07:23PM by redhair34.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2007 09:40PM

ugarte
Excellent news!

Why?

Date: April 28, 2007 09:48PM

Jim Hyla
ugarte
Excellent news!

Why?

It avoids the potential SU @ CU first round game in two weeks.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2007 01:55AM

Jim Hyla
ugarte
Excellent news!

Why?

And a lot of us REALLY hate Syracuse.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 29, 2007 02:53AM

RichH
Jim Hyla
ugarte
Excellent news!

Why?

You know, that's an emotion that I never really understood. Dislike a team, root against them, yes; hate a school? I know a lot on this board hate Harvard, some hate SU, but I really can't get into it, nor understand it. They never did anything to me except beat my school sometimes. Hatred, oh well.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 29, 2007 09:08AM

Jim Hyla
RichH
Dislike a team, root against them, yes; hate a school?
I believe the word we are looking for here is "hyperbole."

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: April 29, 2007 09:39AM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
RichH
Dislike a team, root against them, yes; hate a school?
I believe the word we are looking for here is "hyperbole."

Exaggerating a little bit, aren't we? :-D

Date: April 29, 2007 11:17AM

Jim Hyla
RichH
Jim Hyla
ugarte
Excellent news!

Why?

You know, that's an emotion that I never really understood. Dislike a team, root against them, yes; hate a school? I know a lot on this board hate Harvard, some hate SU, but I really can't get into it, nor understand it. They never did anything to me except beat my school sometimes. Hatred, oh well.

I think when most people say they 'hate a school', they really mean they dislike and root against their teams. I think very few actually have it out for the professors and administrators :-P

Syracuse had made the NCAA tournament 24 years in a row. Give someone else a chance. Be it the Yankees, the Cowboys/Niners, the Lakers, or whomever, teams that win a lot cause a lot of people to want to see them knock it off, and give someone else a chance. That applies perfectly to Syracuse in lacrosse as well (and JHU, and Princeton, and UVa, and...)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2007 11:45AM

DeltaOne81
I think when most people say they 'hate a school', they really mean they dislike and root against their teams. I think very few actually have it out for the professors and administrators :-P

Syracuse had made the NCAA tournament 24 years in a row. Give someone else a chance. Be it the Yankees, the Cowboys/Niners, the Lakers, or whomever, teams that win a lot cause a lot of people to want to see them knock it off, and give someone else a chance.
I think such feelings can also be a reaction to the arrogance of fans of the team(s) involved. Can be nice to see them shut up for a change.

Date: April 29, 2007 01:02PM

Al DeFlorio
DeltaOne81

Syracuse had made the NCAA tournament 24 years in a row. Give someone else a chance. Be it the Yankees, the Cowboys/Niners, the Lakers, or whomever, teams that win a lot cause a lot of people to want to see them knock it off, and give someone else a chance.
I think such feelings can also be a reaction to the arrogance of fans of the team(s) involved. Can be nice to see them shut up for a change.

Definitely true

Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 29, 2007 02:03PM

Al DeFlorio

Or if they don't shut up, it can be nice/interesting to tune in and see how they react to their team when it loses.

Syracues Lacrosse Forum

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2007 02:59PM

DeltaOne81
Jim Hyla
RichH
Jim Hyla
ugarte
Excellent news!

Why?

Syracuse had made the NCAA tournament 24 years in a row. Give someone else a chance. Be it the Yankees, the Cowboys/Niners, the Lakers, or whomever, teams that win a lot cause a lot of people to want to see them knock it off, and give someone else a chance. That applies perfectly to Syracuse in lacrosse as well (and JHU, and Princeton, and UVa, and...)

To answer Jim, I refer to the comments the right honourable gentleman (Fred) gave some time ago.

Of course I don't HATE the student athletes, non-athletic students, faculty, or staff of any university, otherwise we're no better than Colgate students. ;-) But a certain "hope they lose" feeling is applicable to SU lacrosse due to a certain "entitlement to the NCAA tournament" attitude that followers of their program have. Yes, "hate" was a hyperbole. I can't even say I dislike Syracuse as a team...I'd even say I support them in the greater North vs. South lax war. But yes, I tend to root against them in the context of the Central NY rivalry. I'll be more precise with my visceral language next time, even though it will be less succinct and more difficult to read through a paragraph describing in great detail my exact emotions.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2007 03:06PM by RichH.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 29, 2007 04:08PM

Al DeFlorio

This will just enrage their fans.

It probably would have been better if SU made the tourny, at least for Cornell fans. Desko has now broken their Final Four streak, their NCAA streak, and the USA's dominance. Next year's SU class looks pretty weak on paper, at least by their standard (Desko even admitted recruiting suffered while he was coaching Team USA last summer). If SU starts looking for a new coach I would expect their number one choice to be West Genny's Jeff Tambroni. It might have been better if SU had continued their slide into mediocrity with a bit less drama. SU is now 22-18 over the last three seasons.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2007 04:27PM

RichH
I'd even say I support them in the greater North vs. South lax war.
This issue ran through my mind a number of times while watching the taped Syracuse-UMass game yesterday. By all indications there will be a feeble "North" presence in this year's tournament, and the prospect of an all-"South" final four is very disconcerting.

My sense is there is only one team this year that can prevent that from happening, whereas last year there were four: Syracuse, UMass, Cornell, and Hofstra. Unfortunately, the genii on last year's selection committee stuck three of them in the same quarterfinal bracket.

Re: UMass 9, Syracuse 7 (F) - support your NYS teams
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2007 12:23PM

RichH
I can't even say I dislike Syracuse as a team...I'd even say I support them in the greater North vs. South lax war. But yes, I tend to root against them in the context of the Central NY rivalry.

When a New York State does well, it helps remind the South that lacrosse does exist north of Baltimore, a fact they're willing to forget if even one year passes without more than one northern team in the final four. A generation ago, NYS lacrosse meant Harkness/Moran/Cornell and what else (Ok, Army occasonally, plus runs by Hobart and Cortland), and then Syracuse started getting good ...

Now we've got Cornell, Syracuse, and this year Albany as D1 powerhouses, and Army (until Saturday), Binghamton, Hobart, and Colgate not terrible. Plus Sienna in Loudonville, near Albany, best of its weak conference. Plus Hofstra on Long Island, which probably should have gone the FF last year were it not for the amazing UMass run. A half-dozen NYS teams have been ranked at some point this year. Although after today's poll knocks Albany further down, it might also be that only Cornell is an NYS team in the top ten.

Plus the Division II top teams: Lemonye in Syracuse, winner of two of the last three DII championships; NYIT; Pace. And in DIII, except for #1 and #10, the top teams are currently PA or New England teams or NYS: Ithaca, St. Lawrence, RIT, Nazareth from NYS. There may be a couple others.

Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2007 04:49AM

All this North vs South discussion in lacrosse easily reminds me of the so-called East vs West "rivalry" in college hockey (which I am not even sure it exists).

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: May 01, 2007 09:31AM

I think the N/S issue is much more real than the east/west. Especially the further back you go and the more political tournament selection/national championship annointment was.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 01, 2007 11:54AM

From what I can tell the east/west rivalry in college hockey was very real for a long time. It's still there but it's more of a WCHA vs. everyone else thing now.

Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2007 01:47PM

Agreed. A east-west rivalry is probably more real back when only four teams (two from each geographical region) were invited to the NCAA tournament.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 01, 2007 02:08PM

Even after that, the east/west thing was enshrined in the tournament rules for a long, long time. In the 90's, when the tournament was 12 teams, there were still nominally 6 east and 6 west slots. Then the bottom two of each region crossed over to set up 3E vs. 6W, 4E vs. 5W, etc. in the first round. Now the committee wasn't forced to pick 6 and 6 - regional imbalance often meant that 7W became the sixth "eastern" team. But still, the system codified the east-west split to a degree. IIRC this was fading in the later years of the 12 team tourney since they stopped using the old crossover logic for frist round matchups and the 16 team tourney definitely eliminated all traces of the formal east/west split.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: May 01, 2007 03:59PM

KeithK
IIRC this was fading in the later years of the 12 team tourney since they stopped using the old crossover logic for frist round matchups

I think that part was mostly a coincidence; the stated reason for stopping the crossovers was to prevent student athletes from being killed by terrorists. (No, seriously!)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: schoaff (---.endlessloopsoftware.com)
Date: May 01, 2007 04:42PM

jtwcornell91
KeithK
IIRC this was fading in the later years of the 12 team tourney since they stopped using the old crossover logic for frist round matchups

I think that part was mostly a coincidence; the stated reason for stopping the crossovers was to prevent student athletes from being killed by terrorists. (No, seriously!)

How many players have been killed by terrorists on their way to a tournament game?

See, it worked.

Date: May 01, 2007 08:43PM

jtwcornell91
KeithK

And as a result, Cornell got to stay east and play destroy Quinnipiac (back when they weren't very good... and had no nickname). :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login