Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Princeton 6 Cornell 10 Lax FINAL

Posted by Jacob '06 
Princeton 6 Cornell 10 Lax FINAL
Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 21, 2007 03:18PM

14:17 CU-Glynn (Pittard)
10:51 PU-Sowanick (Trombino)
8:03 CU-Seibald (Clayton)
7:17 CU-Lewis (Romero)
4:41 CU-Glynn (Bartlett)
2:56 PU-Haynie (Davis)

2nd quarter
14:02 CU-Glynn (Pittard)

3rd
13:58 CU-Clayton
13:03 PU-Davis EMO (Sowanick)
12:50 CU-Pittard(Vedder)
12:38 CU-Bartlett(Calvert)
7:12 PU-Hayes
6:34 CU-Bartlett(Seibald)

4th
13:39 PU-Kovler
11:42 CU-CLayton
8:19 PU-Hayes
Edited 26 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2007 05:02PM by Jacob '06.

Re: Princeton 1 Cornell 3 Lax 7:08 1st quarter
Posted by: oceanst41 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 21, 2007 03:19PM

Lewis for Cornell and Sowanick for Princeton are the other goals.

Re: Princeton 1 Cornell 3 Lax 7:08 1st quarter
Date: April 21, 2007 03:20PM

Well Seibald looks like hes on his game today :)

Re: Princeton 2 Cornell 4 Lax 2:56 1st quarter
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 21, 2007 03:32PM

Do I see Big Red Thunderstix in the crescent? yark

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: Princeton 2 Cornell 4 Lax 14:05 2nd quarter
Date: April 21, 2007 03:37PM

Glynn with the hat trick early in the 2nd quarter.

Re: Princeton 2 Cornell 5 Lax 14:05 2nd quarter
Date: April 21, 2007 03:42PM

Flags left and right here in the 2nd quarter. Currently each team is a man down, but princeton will get a short EMO

Date: April 21, 2007 03:49PM

4:30 left in the half CU with the ball. I don't really understand how we got a stall call there with about a minute and a half of posession. Princeton didn't get one one a 3 minute posession.

Re: Princeton 2 Cornell 5 Lax halftime
Posted by: dbilmes (---.182.178.51.adsl.snet.net)
Date: April 21, 2007 03:59PM

I just spoke to my son who's at the game and he said there's a pretty good crowd, which is good to hear.

Date: April 21, 2007 04:00PM

It is now halftime with CU winning 5-2. Cornell put together a pretty solid half, and McMonagle looks to be in good form with a few really nice saves. We need to try and keep Princeton from getting those long deliberate offensive posessions.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2007 04:01PM

We weren't getting the same good ball movement and resulting shots in the second period. Mitchell is watched by a short stick and rather than trying one-on-one dodges we need to feed him while he's moving in front of the net.

Date: April 21, 2007 04:01PM

dbilmes
I just spoke to my son who's at the game and he said there's a pretty good crowd, which is good to hear.

Yeah, from what I saw online the class councils had a tailgate before the game and gave away 100 free tickets to each class. The crescent side seems to be filled at least up to the tunnels, and even a bit further.

Re: Princeton 3 Cornell 8 Lax halftime
Date: April 21, 2007 04:21PM

I'm having trouble keeping up with all this fast scoring :)

Re: Princeton 5 Cornell 10 Lax 4th
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 21, 2007 04:46PM

Davy in three!

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: Princeton 6 Cornell 10 Lax 5:00 4th
Date: April 21, 2007 04:57PM

Tambroni with a timeout just as we are about to lose the ball after a long time killing. I think a bit over 2 mins left.

Date: April 21, 2007 05:00PM

Reported attendance 10.721 :-O

Re: Princeton 6 Cornell 10 Lax FINAL
Date: April 21, 2007 05:02PM

Huge win to stay undefeated here.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: April 21, 2007 05:03PM

Jacob '06

And this is a *low* scoring game... you wanna do a 16-15? ;)

(got back from my family thing in time to track the last 5 minutes on LaxPower/here)

Date: April 21, 2007 05:07PM

DeltaOne81
Jacob '06

And this is a *low* scoring game... you wanna do a 16-15? ;)

(got back from my family thing in time to track the last 5 minutes on LaxPower/here)

It was mostly those 4 goals in one minute, but there were a ton close together in the syracuse game I guess :)

Date: April 21, 2007 05:13PM

Jacob '06
It was mostly those 4 goals in one minute, but there were a ton close together in the syracuse game I guess :)

Doing these threads during lax games is very much different than hockey. getting the goal/scorers/assists/times probably takes up 75% of the time :) (well, maybe not quite, but a lot).

Yeah, and then there's those stretches where you end up 3 goals behind :), I just put ??? and edit it back later. But its still fun :)

Good of you to step up though, Jacob. Can you take it next week too while Im at Brown? :)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2007 05:14PM by DeltaOne81.

Date: April 21, 2007 05:22PM

DeltaOne81
Jacob '06
Good of you to step up though, Jacob. Can you take it next week too while Im at Brown? :)
See you there, Fred. Let's hope for good weather.

Date: April 21, 2007 05:26PM

Btw, that officially clinches the Ivy autobid, and, at least a share of the title. Worst we can finish is 5-1. Best Princeton can finish is 5-1. And we win the head-to-head. Also all other Ivy teams have at least 2 losses, so there can be no 3 way tie to throw a wrench into it.

Date: April 21, 2007 05:27PM

So, Fred, how does Swam(p)i explain this one? The post? Crossbar? Warm weather?

Date: April 21, 2007 05:46PM

Al DeFlorio

Honestly, I've been thinking all season that actually beating Princeton (especially if by more than a goal or two) might finally be the straw that would break the *#*@&@'s back. Though I may be wrong, especially since he sarcastically jumped the gun on it thi sweek.

I'm sure he'll find some reason to say Cornell is no good. If I had to guess, he'll probably harp on something about a weak schedule, despite the fact that we have a top 5 schedule nationally. But man will he be stretching.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 21, 2007 05:46PM

Announced attendance was over 10,000. Really good showing. Thunderstix were given out to the first couple thousand fans, I believe.

It was nice to see the '77 team honored at halftime.

Posted by: BillCharlton (---.dialup.tpkaks.swbell.net)
Date: April 21, 2007 06:16PM

Because he has underestimated Cornell all year, the LaxSalami(R) is deservedly mired in last place in his own "Big Boyz" competition. I think he put six chips on Princeton this week, helping to ensure that he will remain at the bottom. How is he going to rationalize Virginia's 10 to 9 home squeaker over Dartmouth a week after we pounded them at their place? I bet he still thinks Virginia is the better team.

Date: April 21, 2007 06:30PM

BillCharlton
Because he has underestimated Cornell all year, the LaxSalami(R) is deservedly mired in last place in his own "Big Boyz" competition. I think he put six chips on Princeton this week, helping to ensure that he will remain at the bottom. How is he going to rationalize Virginia's 10 to 9 home squeaker over Dartmouth a week after we pounded them at their place? I bet he still thinks Virginia is the better team.

Clearly the UVa/Dartmouth game was a bit of an anomaly - as UVa is a very good team, and Dartmouth, not so much. That said, he'd gladly write off an anomaly for UVa, and if we had one, he'd be harping on it constantly.

But yes, his dismal failure in the Big Boyz competition has had much to do with him refusing to react to what we've all seen this season, and instead has been trying to fit he results into this pre-conceived beliefs (i.e. pre-season rankings).

That and once he started to go down, he got desperate and made some crazy picks - Vermont over Albany, Army over Duke today. But the record speaks for itself.

Posted by: schoaff (---.endlessloopsoftware.com)
Date: April 21, 2007 07:09PM

Al DeFlorio

<Swami>
This week Cornell beat Princeton, but that's not much of an accomplishment since Princeton is a very weak team having proven that by losing to a very suspect Cornell squad. Princeton also lost earlier this year to Virginia which lost to Duke which lost to Cornell, and we all know how bad Cornell is. In the end Princeton only lost to Cornell by 4 goals and hit two posts during the game which is the same as a win. So this week my rankings are 1) Duke 2) Virginia 3) Princeton. Who knew that Cornell wins over Duke and Princeton by margins so slim the NCAA should count them as losses would fool everyone into thinking they deserved a top 10 ranking.
</Swami>

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 21, 2007 08:10PM

Jacob '06

stolen from a friend's Facebook album...

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dsl2.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 21, 2007 08:21PM

Jacob '06
I don't really understand how we got a stall call there with about a minute and a half of posession. Princeton didn't get one one a 3 minute posession.

If you're trailing, they don't call stalls against you, which makes sense (if you're losing and want to waste time, go right ahead). I also believe the officials won't call a stall if the score is tied.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2007 08:40PM

schoaff
Al DeFlorio

<Swami>
This week Cornell beat Princeton, but that's not much of an accomplishment since Princeton is a very weak team having proven that by losing to a very suspect Cornell squad. Princeton also lost earlier this year to Virginia which lost to Duke which lost to Cornell, and we all know how bad Cornell is. In the end Princeton only lost to Cornell by 4 goals and hit two posts during the game which is the same as a win. So this week my rankings are 1) Duke 2) Virginia 3) Princeton. Who knew that Cornell wins over Duke and Princeton by margins so slim the NCAA should count them as losses would fool everyone into thinking they deserved a top 10 ranking.
</Swami>

Priceless :-)

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dsl2.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 21, 2007 09:03PM

ebilmes
Jacob '06

stolen from a friend's Facebook album...

How cool is that!

Date: April 22, 2007 12:02AM

JasonN95
Jacob '06
I don't really understand how we got a stall call there with about a minute and a half of posession. Princeton didn't get one one a 3 minute posession.

If you're trailing, they don't call stalls against you, which makes sense (if you're losing and want to waste time, go right ahead). I also believe the officials won't call a stall if the score is tied.

< lax tutorial > :)

A stall call, first off, doesn't really directly depend on the length of the possession. It means you're not trying to score - its basically an unofficial, subjective shot-clock. If you're shooting and missing or otherwise charging the net, they won't call stalling. If you're just passing it around the outside and dodging, they will.

However, the refs calling stalling doesn't automatically mean you lose the ball. What it means is that you have to keep it in the box. If it comes out of the box, *then* you lose possession.

In the last two minute of the game, the team with the lead is basically automatically put in a 'stall' situation. As soon as they enter the box, they can't step out of it or they lose possession.

< / lax tutorial >

Posted by: Rita (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: April 22, 2007 01:04AM

For any night owls still up (or for those of you coming home from the bars drunk ), if you have CSTV, the replay of the Cornell-Princeton game will be shown at 1:30 am.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2007 01:26AM

ebilmes
Announced attendance was over 10,000. Really good showing. Thunderstix were given out to the first couple thousand fans, I believe.

Awesome showing by the fans.

Thunderstix are lame, though. What, your hands and your lungs aren't good enough?

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2007 11:49AM

ebilmes
Announced attendance was over 10,000.

About 1,300 more than Homecoming. Impressive.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 22, 2007 12:02PM

We were outshot 45-19 (IIRC), yet I also get the impression that we dominated the game. Is it fair to say that Princeton's shooting edge doesn't come close to demonstrating the teams' actual scoring opportunities?

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 22, 2007 12:38PM

Josh '99
ebilmes

Awesome showing by the fans.

Thunderstix are lame, though. What, your hands and your lungs aren't good enough?

Agreed on both counts. Let's just make sure they don't get any closer to Lynah. However, since Athletics aren't looking to improve attendance, we're probably safe.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 22, 2007 12:54PM

ugarte
We were outshot 45-19 (IIRC), yet I also get the impression that we dominated the game. Is it fair to say that Princeton's shooting edge doesn't come close to demonstrating the teams' actual scoring opportunities?

Yes. Our defense did a great job of forcing Princeton to take low percentage shots from the outside. I bet half of their shots didn't even get a sniff of the cage.

Date: April 22, 2007 05:14PM

ugarte
Firstly, it was 45-29.

Secondly, at some point in the first shots were 11-3 Cornell and we were up by two. Early in the second we went up by three, and the whole tenor of the game changed given that lead and Princeton's suspect offense.

Shots were 13-1 Princeton in the fourth, making up most of the difference in the total, when Cornell was playing keepaway and not trying to score--but also managing to turn over the ball six times.

Lastly, as even the Princeton athletics write-up said: "Princeton, outshot 94-34 by Cornell the last two years combined, would outshoot the Big Red 45-29, but the Big Red defense did a great job of forcing shots from the outside, which enabled goalie Matt McMonagle to clean up in the goal."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2007 05:16PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 22, 2007 06:27PM

Al DeFlorio
ugarte
Is it fair to say that Princeton's shooting edge doesn't come close to demonstrating the teams' actual scoring opportunities?
Firstly, it was 45-29.

Secondly, at some point in the first shots were 11-3 Cornell and we were up by two. Early in the second we went up by three, and the whole tenor of the game changed given that lead and Princeton's suspect offense.

Shots were 13-1 Princeton in the fourth, making up most of the difference in the total, when Cornell was playing keepaway and not trying to score--but also managing to turn over the ball six times.

Lastly, as even the Princeton athletics write-up said: "Princeton, outshot 94-34 by Cornell the last two years combined, would outshoot the Big Red 45-29, but the Big Red defense did a great job of forcing shots from the outside, which enabled goalie Matt McMonagle to clean up in the goal."
So... yes?

Date: April 25, 2007 09:38AM

ugarte
So... yes?
Another view from the Syracuse Post-Standard writer blogging during the Cornell-Princeton game: "But I can't emphasize this enough -- Princeton really cannot shoot at all. (Compared this to the Syracuse game, when the Tigers scored 12 goals.) The last half of the quarter was essentially an exercise in firing haphazardly from the outside and not coming close to the cage."

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2007 09:18PM

Interesting write-up on the Cornell-Princeton game on the Swa(la)mi's web site: [www.laxswami.com]

Though not written by Himself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login