Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Article in SI.com about Cornell Wrestling

Posted by CornellFan 
Article in SI.com about Cornell Wrestling
Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: April 13, 2007 08:13AM

[sportsillustrated.cnn.com]

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Re: Article in SI.com about Cornell Wrestling
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: April 13, 2007 08:25AM

Good article. I found this quote insightful in a lot of ways:

"[The administration doesn't] like it, but they let us do it anyway," Koll says of his musical selections and mascot's behavior. "And it's certainly better to ask for forgiveness than approval. They don't think it's appropriate for an Ivy League setting. Well, guess what? Neither is wrestling. It's a very blue-collar sport. Perhaps it's not fencing, it's not crew, but we can win at the highest level here, and everyone loves winning."

Posted by: Robb (12.46.32.---)
Date: April 13, 2007 10:15AM

Chris '03
Good article. I found this quote insightful in a lot of ways:

"[The administration doesn't] like it, but they let us do it anyway," Koll says of his musical selections and mascot's behavior. "And it's certainly better to ask for forgiveness than approval. They don't think it's appropriate for an Ivy League setting. Well, guess what? Neither is wrestling. It's a very blue-collar sport. Perhaps it's not fencing, it's not crew, but we can win at the highest level here, and everyone loves winning."

Awwwww, poor coach Koll. Doesn't get any support from the administration, does he? Not like the way Cornell pampers and coddles its fencing teams, by golly. Wait? What's that? Cornell CUT its men's fencing team? And only saved the women's team to avoid a title IX lawsuit? Suck it, coach Koll. You have no idea what a lack of adminstration support feels like.

cuss cuss cuss cuss cuss cuss cuss

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 13, 2007 12:27PM

The "Red Man" ?????

I'd have to think the NC$$ would have trouble with that mascot!

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: April 13, 2007 12:44PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
The "Red Man" ?????

I strongly suspect that you are kidding, but... have you ever seen the "Red Man"? Just a dude with full-body paint and a C on his chest. I think the war whoops are a coincidence.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: April 13, 2007 12:54PM

ugarte
Jeff Hopkins '82
The "Red Man" ?????

I strongly suspect that you are kidding, but... have you ever seen the "Red Man"? Just a dude with full-body paint and a C on his chest. I think the war whoops are a coincidence.
So you mean like the scrawny guy at Harvard games with the helmet and the painted chest?

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: April 13, 2007 12:57PM

Robb
Awwwww, poor coach Koll. Doesn't get any support from the administration, does he? Not like the way Cornell pampers and coddles its fencing teams, by golly. Wait? What's that? Cornell CUT its men's fencing team? And only saved the women's team to avoid a title IX lawsuit? Suck it, coach Koll. You have no idea what a lack of adminstration support feels like.

cuss cuss cuss cuss cuss cuss cuss

Not to mention getting handed a sparkling, new wrestling palace. You know...the only wrestling-only facility in the nation? Was it really sorely needed? Ask the baseball, crew, and fencing teams who have had substantial financial support withdrawn over the years. Who is that lobby named for again?

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: April 13, 2007 01:04PM

Josh '99
ugarte
Jeff Hopkins '82
The "Red Man" ?????

So you mean like the scrawny guy at Harvard games with the helmet and the painted chest?
Unless I've made this memory up completely (someone please assure me that I haven't), the last time I saw a picture of Red Man he looked more like Henry Rollins.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: April 13, 2007 01:36PM

Koll is focused on the wrestling team. I doubt he has any sense of how the fans of the hockey program feel slighted w/r/t wrestling. Plus I suspect that comment was made to affect a little "we're badass" tone. I don't think Coach Koll is one of the bad guys.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: April 13, 2007 02:24PM

Wasn't the wrestling center funded almost entirely by donations made specifically to the wrestling program? If you want facilities built or stuff done for the other teams, donate a bunch of money and maybe you'll have your way. :)

Posted by: Robb (12.46.32.---)
Date: April 13, 2007 03:22PM

Jacob '06
Wasn't the wrestling center funded almost entirely by donations made specifically to the wrestling program? If you want facilities built or stuff done for the other teams, donate a bunch of money and maybe you'll have your way. :)

Close, but no cigar. I was on the fencing team with Andrew Stifel. Even after the men's team was cut, his family "specifically" donated the money for the Andrew Stifel Fencing Salle, and Cornell still didn't reinstate the men's team.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 13, 2007 04:58PM

ugarte
Jeff Hopkins '82
The "Red Man" ?????

Sorry, forgot the smiley. blush

I just figured this was another weak-ass invention by Athletics - like huggy bear.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login