Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Rochester Player of the Year

Posted by CornellFan 
Rochester Player of the Year
Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: March 30, 2007 01:23PM

The Greater Rochester Player of the Year in basketball is a straight A student and is getting attention from Ivy schools. Cornell better be able to get this kid. He is from our backyard.

[www.democratandchronicle.com]

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Re: Rochester Player of the Year
Posted by: dbilmes (---.182.178.51.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 30, 2007 10:15PM

CornellFan
Cornell better be able to get this kid. He is from our backyard.

Perhaps he doesn't want to go to Cornell. Perhaps after living in upstate New York, he wants to go someplace warmer. It's not necessarily a case of Cornell being able to get this kid. A lot depends on whether he wants to spend four more years in upstate New York.

Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: April 02, 2007 08:48AM

Location is a factor for these kids-- but so are the financial aid package, the academic quality of the school, the prospect's compatibility with the coaching staff and the existing players on the team, the opportunity for advancing to the NCAAs and winning an Ivy title, the opportunity for playing time (long-term and near-term), the opportunity to get television appearances, the opportunity to play elite teams on the schedule and the potential to get a pro contract after graduation.

All of these factors play a role in choosing a school in Ivy basketball.

I don't think Cornell has ever lost a kid to another Ivy program simply because of the "location" of Cornell and the lack of desire in staying in upstate New York. Usually-- these decisions come down to the success of the program and the chemistry between the prospective player and the coaches as they form a bond during the recruiting process.

Last kid that we lost from upstate New York to a rival in the Ivy was Ryan Petinilla (who committed to Penn over Cornell). He has since transferred and now plays in the ACC for Virginia.

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2007 04:00PM

As one who migrated from Rochester to Ithaca, one of about 90 my year, a lot of us weren't thinking about Duke or Stanford having better weather. Maybe we should have. It's more along the lines of: We made it through 18 years of winter weather, cold and snow was the norm, and Cornell would continue the norm for four more years.

Also, if the first time you see Cornell is in the fall on a warm early-October day, Cornell is the most beautiful campus possible, and you think of the six months of crappy weather that follows each year as the anomaly. Gad, we were so stupid then.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 03, 2007 04:39PM

billhoward
Also, if the first time you see Cornell is in the fall on a warm early-October day, Cornell is the most beautiful campus possible, and you think of the six months of crappy weather that follows each year as the anomaly. Gad, we were so stupid then.
I first saw Cornell on a nasty, cold, rainy October and I still thought it was the most beautiful campus possible. Actually I don't remember what I thought about the campus beauty that day, but I did think the place was great.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2007 05:03PM

The campus is beautiful in October for the two weeks when the foliage is ablaze, but it's also beatuful in January when it's covered in snow. The hardest part to get through is the dark rainy November night.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Robb (65.203.56.---)
Date: April 04, 2007 06:39AM

jtwcornell91
The campus is beautiful in October for the two weeks when the foliage is ablaze, but it's also beatuful in January when it's covered in snow. The hardest part to get through is the dark rainy November night.
No way - the hardest part to get through is the dark rainy APRIL night. You think it should be Spring already, but it isn't, and there's no hockey. cry

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: April 04, 2007 07:00AM

Robb
jtwcornell91
No way - the hardest part to get through is the dark rainy APRIL night. You think it should be Spring already, but it isn't, and there's no hockey. cry
If it's raining, it's kind of spring. Dark, SNOWY April nights make you want to cry. Winter will never ever end in Ithaca, and you know that it'll be gray slush by morning, just slippery enough to possibly make you fall on your way up or down the Slope/Williams Street.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2007 08:26AM

Having grown up in New York State, I used to dance around the Arts Quad when the April snow finally came. Since I knew spring could not truly begin until that was out of the way.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: April 04, 2007 11:03AM

jtwcornell91
Having grown up in New York State, I used to dance around the Arts Quad when the April snow finally came. Since I knew spring could not truly begin until that was out of the way.

Does a 54 degree temperature drop (with windchill factor) and snow flurries count as "Winter's Last Blast"? It is a good thing that I'm used to this (growing up in CT and living in Ithaca) thus my hat, scarf and gloves were not yet stowed away despite the nice 70 degree weather Indiana had been enjoying and all the buds on the trees.

BRRRRRR from IN.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.179.---)
Date: April 04, 2007 11:21AM

Liz '05
Winter will never ever end in Ithaca...

Trust me, winter in ithaca is nothing... winter in Potsdam is a completely different world...

but the skiing is alot better...

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: April 05, 2007 10:31AM

KeithK
billhoward
I first saw Cornell on a nasty, cold, rainy October and I still thought it was the most beautiful campus possible. Actually I don't remember what I thought about the campus beauty that day, but I did think the place was great.
Maybe the campus beauty that day was taking Psych 101 and thinking what a cool guy the professor seemed to be.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: April 05, 2007 10:41AM

jtwcornell91
Needless to say, I was a little surprised to see the April snow in Times Square this morning.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login