Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

DC to Durham (NC not NH) Tuesday

Posted by Ben Rocky '04 
DC to Durham (NC not NH) Tuesday
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (129.2.170.---)
Date: March 13, 2007 02:00PM

I might be crazy but I'm thinking of going to Duke for Tuesday's LAX game. Anyone else in the DC-area insane enough to wanna join me?

Re: DC to Durham (NC not NH) Tuesday
Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: March 13, 2007 02:19PM

That's beautiful [*sniff*].

Go over to Cornell's facility near Dupont Circle (22nd & O, NW) and put up a flyer. They get traffic from both Cornell-in-Washington program students who live there and alums visiting the Cornell Club of Washington's offices.

One of my absolute favorite Cornell sports road trips ever was driving down to Chapel Hill from DC with some friends for the first round of the NCAA playoffs in 1988. A huge upset win for Cornell that day.

Re: food in Durham
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.hyperband.com)
Date: March 14, 2007 01:14PM

So, yea, I'm gonna go. Any one know of a good &/or unique restaurant or automat in Durham?

PS: Duke sucks.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 01:41PM

Ben Rocky 04
So, yea, I'm gonna go. Any one know of a good &/or unique restaurant or automat in Durham?

Automat? Is that 1904?=]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 02:12PM

Al DeFlorio
Ben Rocky 04

Automat? Is that 1904?=]
Haven't you heard, Al? What's old is new again! :-P

Posted by: Ken70 (---.254.51.209.conversent.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 02:47PM

Try Foster's Market for good casual food in a comfortable atmosphere. Brunch is popular there.

Brightleaf Square has a number of interesting restaurants and is near campus (East Campus).

Within short walking distance of the lacrosse field is the Washington Duke hotel, good food in an nice hotel restaurant.

Avoid the much hyped Magnolia Grill - very expensive, noisy and wait staff can have an attitude.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 14, 2007 02:51PM

Josh '99
Al DeFlorio
Ben Rocky 04

Automat? Is that 1904?=]
That sounds vile.

Date: March 14, 2007 03:11PM

Josh '99
Al DeFlorio
Ben Rocky 04

Automat? Is that 1904?=]
Actually, I did "hear." Interesting idea to revive it. Suspect I'm one of few here who frequented Automats. Kind of nice to pick out the slice of pie or piece of cake that looked the best.nut

Date: March 14, 2007 03:17PM

Al DeFlorio
Josh '99
Al DeFlorio
Ben Rocky 04

Automat? Is that 1904?=]
Actually, I did "hear." Interesting idea to revive it. Suspect I'm one of few here who frequented Automats. Kind of nice to pick out the slice of pie or piece of cake that looked the best.nut

Too clarify, I used the word 'automat' because I couldn't remember the name of the food establishment frequented by Fry and Bender in Futurama that served food on a conveyer belt. And yes, I did graduate in 1904 :-P

Date: March 14, 2007 03:41PM

Ben Rocky 04
And yes, I did graduate in 1904
All this time I thought we were on the same page politically and now I find out that your avatar is about Donie Bush.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2007 03:55PM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Date: March 14, 2007 04:14PM

Ben Rocky 04
Too clarify, I used the word 'automat' because I couldn't remember the name of the food establishment frequented by Fry and Bender in Futurama that served food on a conveyer belt.
Is that the same conveyor belt where Lucy and Ethel were boxing the chocolates?**]

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: March 14, 2007 04:51PM

Ben Rocky 04
Al DeFlorio
Josh '99
Al DeFlorio
Ben Rocky 04

Automat? Is that 1904?=]

Too clarify, I used the word 'automat' because I couldn't remember the name of the food establishment frequented by Fry and Bender in Futurama that served food on a conveyer belt. And yes, I did graduate in 1904 :-P

The Online has so much useful infotainment you can superhighway out of the tubes. The Futurama place will be the "Food-O-Mat":
[en.wikipedia.org]

And that's fantastic about the new NYC Automat. I have a very vivid memory from my early childhood of my dad taking me to an Automat in New York City and having him tell me to remember the experience since I probably would never have the chance to eat at one again since it was closing. I was under the impression that it was the last automat, but an article I found about Bamn claims the last automat closed in 1991.

Oh, and Beat Duke!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 05:12PM

KeithK
That sounds vile.
I wasn't endorsing the food quality, just pointing out that it exists.

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.116.---)
Date: March 14, 2007 05:34PM

RichH
And that's fantastic about the new NYC Automat. I have a very vivid memory from my early childhood of my dad taking me to an Automat in New York City and having him tell me to remember the experience since I probably would never have the chance to eat at one again since it was closing. I was under the impression that it was the last automat, but an article I found about Bamn claims the last automat closed in 1991.

Hmmm. Do I hear a groundswell of support for a CU luncheon at the new automat on November 24th before we screw BU?

Date: March 14, 2007 05:57PM

Whats the word on 'Cosmic Cantina' or 'Devine's Restaurant & Sports Bar' ?

Date: March 14, 2007 07:10PM

There's gotta be a great barbecue place somewhere in the Durham area. It's been 26 years since we lived in the Triangle so even if I could remember one there's no guarantee it would be any good.

Edit: I may be able to get a name. Stay tuned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2007 07:12PM by Al DeFlorio.

Date: March 15, 2007 07:42AM

Two suggestions for Carolina barbecue in the Durham area:

Hog Heaven: [triangle.citysearch.com]

Bullock's: [triangle.citysearch.com]

I'm told Hog Heaven is close to the Duke campus.

Posted by: 2 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2007 10:30AM

Ben Rocky 04
Whats the word on 'Cosmic Cantina' or 'Devine's Restaurant & Sports Bar' ?

Cosmic is a favorite of undergrads, especially at night and for freshmen who live nearby. It's really just nasty, fake, Mexican food, though.

The Washington Duke hotel that someone mentioned is very close to the lacrosse field, but it would be a real meal at an upscale, snotty hotel. Since I don't believe you really graduated in 1904, I'm guessing you may not want that.

for bar-type food, my recommendation is to go to main st just southeast of east campus. Devine's is there, as is brightleaf mall and some other spots.

Also, if in a rush, you could get off 85 right at Northsquare mall and get food there. But don't go there after dark--I remember more than a couple shootings in the parking lot.

Hog's Heaven, which someone mentioned, is also not far from 85 if I remember correctly.

And yes, Duke sucks. Make sure they know they're vile idiots--even if only because of public drunkeness and pissing on sidewalks. Hey, we've all done it, but they got caught.

Posted by: Ken70 (---.254.51.209.conversent.net)
Date: March 15, 2007 11:44AM

Sorry, I just know about those few places I mentioned from visiting my daughter during her undergraduate years there.

Duke/UNC- 3/17
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2007 04:48PM

Duke beat UNC today 9-7. The Tar Heels led 6-1 before the Duke defense clamped down.

Just over 74 hours until the big game now...

Duke Game Webcast (Video)
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2007 12:04PM

$3.99 for the game or $9.99 for a month of "ACC Select"

[acc.playonsports.tv]

Yes, it supports the Mac platform.

Re: Duke Game Webcast (Video)
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 20, 2007 11:57AM

Chris '03
$3.99 for the game or $9.99 for a month of "ACC Select"

[acc.playonsports.tv]

Yes, it supports the Mac platform.

Awesome. I signed up last night. The only other option I had was a $10 monthly pass via Duke's regular service. And the test video on the main page worked fine for me on my Mac.

Let Cornell be aware that I am more than willing to pay modest amounts to see their sports, if someone actually bothers to support my platform.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (129.2.170.---)
Date: March 20, 2007 12:53PM

Before I head south, I just wanted to say:

DUKE SUCKS & LGR!

Date: March 20, 2007 01:37PM

Ben Rocky 04
Before I head south, I just wanted to say:

DUKE SUCKS & LGR!

I'll second that and add a Hoot-Hoot, because I'm having a Duke Sucks double feature today. First it's Temple's women's basketball against top-seeded Duke in the NCAA tournament at 5 p.m. (ESPN2), then it's the lacrosse game.

[www.temple.edu]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login