Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell fancypants wrestling in NYC - TODAY

Posted by ugarte 
Cornell fancypants wrestling in NYC - TODAY
Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 03, 2007 10:36AM

OK, the wrestling isn't fancypants, the location is.

The match between #5 Hofstra and #16 Cornell is at the New York Athletic Club (59th & 7th) at 1PM today. If Cornell is at full strength, this should be an excellent match. According to USAToday/Intermat/NWCA, between the two schools we have top 20 wrestlers in every class below Hwt., and Hofstra has the higher ranked wrestler at 5 of the 9 remaining weights.

The NYAC has a dress code (business casual on the weekends) but when I called they indicated that they weren't going to apply the dress code to non-members. I'm going to wear a jacket anyway. (Who wants to be the only guy ruining the tweedy image in the stands?) Tickets are $15 at the door, though, again, the guy on the phone made that sound kind of flexible.

This is the second year in a row that Cornell is wrestling at NYAC. Why Cornell doesn't promote this to NYC alumni is a mystery.

Re: Cornell regular pants wrestling in NYC - TODAY
Date: February 03, 2007 10:51AM

Also, at 7PM the Big Red are wrestling @ Columbia. If you don't want to test your luck with All-Access, that should be cool. I won't be there, though. (Hold your tears.)

Re: Cornell fancypants wrestling in NYC - TODAY
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2007 12:30PM

ugarte
OK, the wrestling isn't fancypants, the location is.
Seems to me last year we wore our cute "fancypants" shorts-and-T-shirts outfits for the match with Michigan held at the NYAC.

I'm hoping Occasional-Access will be working this afternoon.

Date: February 03, 2007 01:18PM

Al DeFlorio
It won't be. Nor tonight. Recorded message at the CSTV help line says both webcasts canceled for "technical reasons." I'm pissed.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2007 01:37PM

Al DeFlorio
Al DeFlorio
It won't be. Nor tonight. Recorded message at the CSTV help line says both webcasts canceled for "technical reasons." I'm pissed.

Refund time!

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Rita (---.wave.hicv.net)
Date: February 03, 2007 02:11PM

jtwcornell91
Al DeFlorio
Al DeFlorio

Refund time!

Go for it Al, you don't have much to lose, you have already thrown that $6.95 out the proverbial car window (or burnt it :)). I found that speaking to a supervisor and telling them you were going to inform you credit card company that you were being charged for "services not rendered" helped.

I am surprised that they would have trouble broadcasting from the NYAC; isn't that where the Heisman Trophy Award ceremony is (was?) held?

Date: February 03, 2007 02:18PM

Rita
Go for it Al, you don't have much to lose, you have already thrown that $6.95 out the proverbial car window (or burnt it :)). I found that speaking to a supervisor and telling them you were going to inform you credit card company that you were being charged for "services not rendered" helped.

I am surprised that they would have trouble broadcasting from the NYAC; isn't that where the Heisman Trophy Award ceremony is (was?) held?
Very interesting development. I sent an email to Jeremy Hartigan asking what happened, and he replied by saying these matches were never scheduled to be webcast! And, at about 1:30 today or thereabouts, the "Watch" links disappeared from both the cornellbigred.com and the All-Access web sites. Jeremy said he knew nothing about said links, but would "check" on it. All very strange. I'm beginning to sense what it must have been like dealing with Ari Fleischer.

[The Heisman festouche is from the Downtown Athletic Club, not NYAC, I think. But I'm pretty sure I do recall watching a webcast of a Cornell wrestling match from NYAC last year.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2007 02:19PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: RichH (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: February 03, 2007 03:21PM

Al DeFlorio
[The Heisman festouche is from the Downtown Athletic Club, not NYAC, I think. But I'm pretty sure I do recall watching a webcast of a Cornell wrestling match from NYAC last year.]

The Downtown Athletic Club closed for good in 2002.

[espn.go.com]

The Heismann ceremony has floated around ever since, being held at the Yale Club, the Hilton Hotel New York, and the Nokia Theater, from what I can gather on a brief google session.

Date: February 03, 2007 03:50PM

More importantly, Cornell beat Hofstra 22-18 as Luke Hogle majored the #7 wrestler at 184.

Posted by: Rita (---.wave.hicv.net)
Date: February 03, 2007 04:07PM

RichH
Al DeFlorio

The Downtown Athletic Club closed for good in 2002.

[espn.go.com]

The Heismann ceremony has floated around ever since, being held at the Yale Club, the Hilton Hotel New York, and the Nokia Theater, from what I can gather on a brief google session.

Rich, thank you for clarifying this. It has been many years since I actually watched the Heisman presentation on TV and just remember it happening at an "Athletic Club". I also did not realize that NYC had so many "fancy pants" clubs. It could cause some confusion in setting up the pre- and post-game gatherings for the Cornell-BU series in November ;-).

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2007 04:17PM

Rita
Rich, thank you for clarifying this. It has been many years since I actually watched the Heisman presentation on TV and just remember it happening at an "Athletic Club". I also did not realize that NYC had so many "fancy pants" clubs. It could cause some confusion in setting up the pre- and post-game gatherings for the Cornell-BU series in November ;-).

I wouldn't think so. Kind of tough to confuse "Beeeej's Place" with any of the fancy pants clubs. :-D

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 04, 2007 12:49AM

Al DeFlorio
More importantly, Cornell beat Hofstra 22-18 as Luke Hogle majored the #7 wrestler at 184.

A heck of a match that was much closer than the final score. Hogle got lucky to keep from being pinned and unlucky to not get a pin himself. I think if they meet 10 times Hogle wins 3. Fortunately this was one of them. It followed a match at 174 where Joey Hooker came close to upsetting the #14 wrestler in the country, falling 3-2. A very good start for the Big Red.

#4 Rinaldi won a good close one over the #11 wrestler at 197 but was never really in danger. Hofstra's guy made it close by taking Rinaldi down with 5 seconds left but had to release immediately and didn't have time for another shot.

The Hwt. match was the most boring bout I've ever seen. Two galoots waltzing around for 8 minutes. A lot of feints but nobody really tried to shoot. Hammond tried one bull-rush sumo move and almost got a takedown but they landed out of bounds. His first real attempt at a leg shot came with 12 seconds left in OT, succeeded and ended the match (good thing too, the judges probably would have awarded the win to the Pride). The Cornell recap has the score wrong; the final was 3-1. The only points scored in regulation were the escape points that each grappler got by starting down in the second and third periods. Side note: the Hofstra wrestler, Matt Pollack, is a grad student that went to Cornell.

I (and everyone else) was very disappointed that Hofstra didn't send anyone out to wrestle Nickerson. Apparently their 125 tweaked his knee last week against Lehigh and with the Red's surprising success in the higher weights, Hofstra pretty much conceded the match.

The Frey match at 133 was great. He is the #3 wrestler at the weight and was taking on #19. I think Frey got a little tired because he was in control early but faded. He finished strong, though, getting a late reversal to take the lead after the Hofstra wrestler tied it with a takedown. The Hofstra coaches went batshit crazy because they thought their guy should have gotten credit for a takedown in the closing seconds. I couldn't see well enough from my angle, but it looked to me like the ref had this one right.

The strength of Hofstra's lineup is in the middle weights and it showed - had the day started at 141 this would have been considered a great Cornell comeback. Hofstra has the #7 wrestler at 141 and he took down Matt Easter off of the opening whistle and dominated from there, getting the fall at 4:18.

149 was a great match, as Cornell has the #4 wrestler in Jordan Leen and Hofstra's guy is #14. It was close mostly because the Hofstra guy kept backing up. It was a good strategy because Leen is definitely the better wrestler but the refusal to engage made it hard for Leen to successfully attack. Hofstra's coaches went nuts again when their guy got penalized for stalling but he very much deserved it. Close win for Leen.

Hofstra has the #2 wrestler at 157 and he threw Drake Hovis around and mostly rode him, trying to turn him for the pin. Hovis held him off, though; the attempt at a pin probably sacrificed a major victory.

165 was another matchup of ranked wrestlers. Steve Anceravage (#10) took on the #6 wrestler in the country. Anceravage controlled the match early, but slipped on a shot early in the second and ended up unable to hold off what ended up being a pretty easy pin for the Hofstra wrestler.

In other news, Cornell whipped Columbia's ass to kick off the Ivy League season.

Date: February 04, 2007 12:45PM

In other Ivy wrestling action, Penn beat Harvard and Brown DESTROYED Princeton - take a look at the 149 match in particular.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: February 04, 2007 01:33PM

ugarte
In other Ivy wrestling action, Penn beat Harvard and Brown DESTROYED Princeton - take a look at the 149 match in particular.

Awesome. I wrestled in high school with the losing kids brother. He was actually pretty good.

Date: February 04, 2007 04:00PM

ugarte
I had thought Harvard might have a shot at taking Cornell down until they lost their #2-ranked heavyweight. Let's hope we're healthy for both Harvard and, especially, Penn.

Maybe Princeton should have red-shirted Rumsfeld.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2007 10:19PM

Thanks for the detailed recap. It's great to get your perspective.

Date: February 05, 2007 01:35AM

David Harding
Thanks for the detailed recap. It's great to get your perspective.
You're welcome. Glad to do it.

Date: February 06, 2007 09:43PM

Al DeFlorio
I had thought Harvard might have a shot at taking Cornell down until they lost their #2-ranked heavyweight.
Ogunwole story here: [www.thecrimson.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login