Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New Football Commitment

Posted by CornellFan 
New Football Commitment
Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: January 23, 2007 01:52PM

January 23, 2007

Schmeltzer makes his decision
Mark Pszonak
NJVarsity.com

Oradell (NJ) Bergen Catholic already had two players commit to Ivy League programs, and now you can add a third to this list. TE Jadd Schmeltzer, 6-foot-4 and 245-pounds, made his decision on Sunday and spoke to NJVarsity.com about his choice and which other schools were involved until the end.

"I just wanted to let you know that I committed to Cornell," said Schmeltzer, who took his official visit to Ithaca, New York this past weekend and spoke about the experience. "Well I first had a meeting with the baseball coaches, because I am going to play baseball as well. The coaches took me on a tour of the campus and facilities. I also met with an academic advisor and the top gun of my major."

So what will his major be at Cornell?

"I'm going to major in Applied Economics," said Schmeltzer.

With two sports in his future at Cornell, what positions will he be playing?

"Well I was recruited for both tight end and defensive end, but the staff and myself decided that tight end would be best, and for baseball I will pitch and play first base," said Schmeltzer.

Besides Cornell, Schmeltzer was also receiving interest from Virginia Tech, Villanova, and Bucknell, and actually had visits set up with all three schools before his commitment. One of these schools did also give him the option of playing both sports.

"Many schools forced me to do one or the other, which is how I narrowed down my options to those schools," said Schmeltzer. "But the only other school allowing me to do both was Bucknell."

So besides the ability to play both sports, what else put Cornell over the top?

"The experience I had on the visit was awesome," said Schmeltzer. "I have a family friend who loves it at Cornell. Also the opportunity I have both on the football and baseball field, as well as the opportunity in the classes. I also felt accepted by both the recruits who are going and the players who are on the team now."

July 5, 2006
Mark Pszonak
NJVarsity.com

In a recruiting year deep at the tight end position in New Jersey, one player who has been gliding under the radar is Jadd Schmeltzer of Bergen Catholic. NJVarsity.com spoke to the big tight end after his impressive performance at the Rutgers 7 on 7 to find out how his recruiting is going for both football and baseball.

When NJVarsity.com contacted Schmeltzer he was actually in California checking out two of his favorite schools.

"It's going pretty well," said Schmeltzer, who is 6-foot-4 and 245-pounds. "I just actually had a meeting with Cal-Berkley the other day. I loved the campus. It's a very good program, and the academics were just as strong."

Schmeltzer was also able to visit Stanford during his visit, even though the coaching staff was away at the time of his trip. Aside from the two PAC-10 schools, most of his interest is coming from the Ivy League programs.

During the last month, Schmeltzer was not able to attend any summer camps, but did make it to the Rutgers 7 on 7 with his Bergen Catholic teammates.

"It was awesome," said Schmeltzer. "I think it was the best I have ever played. We made it to the final four, but lost by a touchdown."

Also keeping Schmeltzer busy is his baseball recruitment.

"It's going pretty good," said Schmeltzer, who is being recruited as both a pitcher and first baseman. "I'm hearing from all the Ivy League schools, PAC-10 schools and the ACC."

Re: New Football Commitment
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2007 03:56PM

CornellFan
"Well I was recruited for both tight end and defensive end, but the staff and myself decided that tight end would be best..."
"The staff and myself decided...?" Where's ugarte when we need him?

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: January 23, 2007 04:17PM

Al DeFlorio
CornellFan
"Well I was recruited for both tight end and defensive end, but the staff and myself decided that tight end would be best..."
"The staff and myself decided...?" Where's ugarte when we need him?

Usually I'm just subbing for Whelan on routine grammar and spelling (though I cringe when I see myself used that way as well) when I jump in. I don't worry about general English abuse very much unless it is an interesting error. Commonly misused phrases, on the other hand, I like to jump in to correct to maintain the original meaning.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: January 30, 2007 02:54PM

Bergen Catholic produces some serious football talent. That sounds like a great pickup for us.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login