Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Big Win for Men's B-Ball!!!

Posted by JZ '93 
Big Win for Men's B-Ball!!!
Posted by: JZ '93 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 11, 2006 09:35AM

Men's B-Ball beats Northwestern 64-61--first win over a Big Ten team in almost 40 years (Ohio State--1967/68 season). They had their best recruiting season in many years and it seems to be paying dividends immediately (Whitman). Once they are able to add recent USC transfer Collin Robinson next season, I think it will finally be time to do some dancing.

Re: Big Win for Men's B-Ball!!!
Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 11, 2006 11:00AM

That's a monstrous baseball score. Who was the winning pitcher? coffee

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2006 12:40PM

In support of JZ, B-Ball is a frequently used term for hoops; I've never seen baseball referred to as B-Ball

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2006 01:20PM

Cornell. Basketball. Winning.

Really amazing.

Date: November 11, 2006 02:22PM

I know, I know... I just thought it was funny that he/she used "B-Ball" once, then other than the score, never gave one bit of information that revealed what sport it was. I guess my joke just wasn't that funny.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2006 07:33PM

Beeeej
I know, I know... I just thought it was funny that he/she used "B-Ball" once, then other than the score, never gave one bit of information that revealed what sport it was. I guess my joke just wasn't that funny.

Yeah, because with only two sports being referred to as b-ball, it was really hard to tell, since so much baseball is going on in November.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: November 11, 2006 10:46PM

French Rage
Beeeej

Yeah, because with only two sports being referred to as b-ball, it was really hard to tell, since so much baseball is going on in November.

You do get that I actually did understand what sport was being talked about, yes? The point of the joke was that even though I knew, it still required assumptions. Let it go. Sheesh! rolleyes

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: November 13, 2006 12:42PM

Damn! And here I thought we were poised to be on the verge of national recognition in bocce ball.

Little Win for Men's Basketball (ok, Beeej?)
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2006 10:56PM

Hoops holds off Stony Brook 76-72 in the home opener tonight. They shot 67% in the first and 33% in the second. Yikes. They can't shoot 33% for a half and expect to compete in the 14 games that count.

Re: Little Win for Men's Basketball (ok, Beeej?)
Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 13, 2006 11:11PM

Chris '03
They can't shoot 33% for a half and expect to compete in the 14 games that count.

Oh sure they can. This is Ivy league basketball, remember? My friends and I used to make bets on whether or not one of the teams would score 20 points by halftime.

In all seriousness however, it's good to see the team off to a 2-0 start against teams other than like, Ithaca College.

Re: Little Win for Men's Basketball (ok, Beeej?)
Date: November 13, 2006 11:18PM

Who's Beeej? ;-)

- Steve Worona

Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2006 11:48PM

Apparently Cornell's win over a Big-Ten school was not that big of a deal. Harvard defeated Maine at home and received one top-25 vote in the AP poll! Is Harvard expected to win the Ivy League title this season?

[sports.yahoo.com]

The real bad news
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2006 07:35AM

Adam Gore is out for the season with a torn ACL, injured in the Northwestern game.

Re: The real bad news
Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: November 14, 2006 08:46AM

Al DeFlorio
Adam Gore is out for the season with a torn ACL, injured in the Northwestern game.
That's devastating. He's fantastic. The freshmen were already making a major contribution; now they'll have to do the heavy lifting.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hortonpv.ul.warwick.net)
Date: November 14, 2006 10:59AM

What a shame about Gore. With him they would be legitimate Ivy contenders; hard to believe they can remain in the hunt without him. That being said, this is probably the best Freshman class I've seen in my 25 years(!) of following Cornell basketball. Dale is explosive, Wittman tremendously poised and talented, and some of the other Frosh are making solid contributions.

I'm planning to see them next Tuesday at West Point so I can report see first-hand how they are progressing.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: November 14, 2006 11:14AM

Al DeFlorio
Aaaaaaaaaargh!

Of course, compared to last season, this is almost good news. Has anyone seen an update on Grant?

Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: November 14, 2006 05:59PM

A great site for Cornell basketball discussion and information is on the Cornell message board at:

[boards.basketball-u.com]

Hoping to get me more Cornell basketball fans to participate.

Date: November 14, 2006 06:04PM

From the Ithaca Journal:

Khaliq Gant, who suffered a serious neck injury back in January, is back on campus and attending all team functions. “Khaliq is in everything we do,” Head Coach Steve Donahue said. “He's at every practice, all the strength and conditioning sessions, team meetings. He's a tremendous leader and he's helping guys all the time.”

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2006 10:58PM

Northwestern almost lost to DIII Wheaton College Thursday evening. For those who are not familiar with Wheaton Collge, suffice it to say that it is Billy Graham's alma mater.

[q]"Fear David," indeed

Wheaton nearly pulls off colossal upset

By Adam Rittenberg
Daily Herald Sports Writer
Posted Friday, December 15, 2006

Early in the second half Thursday night, nine Wheaton College fans lined up in the row behind Northwestern?s basket.

Each man had a letter painted on his chest, spelling out a message:

"Fear David."

Make no mistake, Northwestern is anything but a hoops Goliath, a fact proven again Thursday. But Division III Wheaton made sure to bring its slingshots to Evanston -- and it nearly hit its mark.

A surreal atmosphere at Welsh-Ryan Arena nearly produced an equally surreal result. Wheaton center Andy Wiele missed a game-winning 3-pointer as time expired, allowing Northwestern to escape 41-39 in front of 3,542.

The Wildcats (6-2) won their fourth straight game by 2 points or fewer and their fifth straight overall. But unlike victories over Miami and Western Michigan, the Wildcats had nothing to celebrate.

"Definitely relief," said freshman forward Kevin Coble, who led Northwestern with 12 points, 10 after halftime. "We were lucky to get away with that one."

Wildcats coach Bill Carmody likened the game to a season-opening loss to Cornell, a depressing thought given the 34 days separating that disaster from Thursday's near catastrophe. Even in victory, Northwestern continues to struggle in critical areas.

Welsh-Ryan hardly felt like the road for Wheaton. Its fans packed a corner of the arena, with dozens spilling into Northwestern's empty "Wild Side" student section.

Coble, who grew up in Arizona, has several high school friends who attend Wheaton.

"I actually talked to them this morning," Coble said. "They said they were going to bring the whole army out there, and they certainly did."[/q]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 18, 2006 12:33PM

David Harding
For those who are not familiar with Wheaton College, suffice it to say that it is Billy Graham's alma mater.

And Dennis Hastert's.

Home series vs. the Ps
Date: January 13, 2007 11:18PM

Cornell lost (again) to Penn last night.

However, tonight they beat Princeton by TWENTY, holding them to 35 points, lowest for an Ivy game since the shot clock came in apparently.

Re: Home series vs. the Ps
Date: January 14, 2007 09:35PM

Chris '03

However, tonight they beat Princeton by TWENTY, holding them to 35 points, lowest for an Ivy game since the shot clock came in apparently.
And that came after trailing 9-0 early! Princeton must...well...suck.

Date: January 15, 2007 09:17PM

Al DeFlorio
Chris '03

And that came after trailing 9-0 early! Princeton must...well...suck.

The glass-is-half-empty fans would believe that a big win over Princeton correlates to your conclusion ("Princton sucks";) as opposed to Cornell's having climbed the mountain. Sigh. Hard to believe Princeton will be down for more than a couple years, just as you know that two off years for Cornell hockey or lacrosse are anomalies.

Date: January 16, 2007 07:05AM

billhoward
The glass-is-half-empty fans would believe that a big win over Princeton correlates to your conclusion ("Princton sucks";) as opposed to Cornell's having climbed the mountain. Sigh.
The fact that Columbia handled Princeton the night before is not a good sign for the Tigers. Unless, of course, Columbia has "climbed the mountain" coincidentally with us.;-)

Date: January 16, 2007 08:40AM

Columbia and Cornell are both much improved. Princeton was 9-4 coming into Ivy play and had a few nice wins this year including destroying Rice which boasts the NCAA's leading scorer and future NBA draft pick Morris Almond.

Date: January 18, 2007 12:15PM

CornellFan
Columbia and Cornell are both much improved. Princeton was 9-4 coming into Ivy play and had a few nice wins this year including destroying Rice which boasts the NCAA's leading scorer and future NBA draft pick Morris Almond.
Worth noting that among Rice's nine wins this year were the following opponents: Incarnate Word, Paul Quinn, Texas-Permian Basin, Lamar, Prairie View A&M, Western Carolina, and East Carolina. In addition to Princeton, teams beating Rice include North Texas and Belmont. Not sure Rice really counts as a "nice win."

That said, I'm always happy to beat Princeton in basketball. Let's not get carried away yet with its significance, however. This team has nice young talent and is dealing well with injuries. Let's hope it's tendency to blow late leads has been deep-sixed.

Sweet Sweep over Columbia
Posted by: brm93 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 27, 2007 05:44PM

56-51 victory over Columbia--they were down by seven points with less than 5 minutes left in the game. The team is learning from their "growing pains" collapses earlier this season and is now turning the tables, even with two consecutive poor shooting games. They are still very much in the running this year and next year (and beyond) could be really special.

Brutal loss against Harvard
Posted by: JohnnieAg'99 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2007 10:24AM

Up by 5 at the end, and they lose with less than a second left on a layup. The women lost to Sucks too.

Re: Brutal loss against Harvard
Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 04, 2007 11:24AM

JohnnieAg'99
Up by 5 at the end, and they lose with less than a second left on a layup. The women lost to Sucks too.

And on a night that Penn lost to Yale to boot. We may be seeing a new age of parity in the Ivies.

Date: February 04, 2007 12:11PM

JohnnieAg'99
According to the cornellbigred.com recap, Harvard was up 63-58. Cornell came back to take a 64-63 lead, then lost it on a--literally--last second lay-up.

What's really disappointing is that Columbia crushed Harvard by 20 the night before, and Harvard could no longer play their top scorer and rebounder, who had run out of eligibility for this weekend's games.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 05, 2007 12:08PM

Al DeFlorio
What's really disappointing is that Columbia crushed Harvard by 20 the night before, and Harvard could no longer play their top scorer and rebounder, who had run out of eligibility for this weekend's games.
How does a players eligibility run out midway through the season like this? I thought eligibility was counted in seasons, not games (apparently I'm wrong).

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 05, 2007 12:27PM

KeithK
Al DeFlorio
How does a players eligibility run out midway through the season like this? I thought eligibility was counted in seasons, not games (apparently I'm wrong).

Harvard is just getting around to starting the second semester so I could see how there is a line here. I certainly recall hearing about players losing eligibilty midseason due to first semester grades. Is this guy a transfer? Maybe he transfered mid-year so his eligibility calendar is off.

Date: February 05, 2007 06:59PM

nyc94
Harvard is just getting around to starting the second semester so I could see how there is a line here. I certainly recall hearing about players losing eligibilty midseason due to first semester grades. Is this guy a transfer? Maybe he transfered mid-year so his eligibility calendar is off.
I think eligibility is measured in semesters. Ugo I?????? on the Cornell basketball team will run out of eligibility after the fall semester next season. I think I read recently that he has chosen NOT to play with the team in the fall for the half-season. Prepping for med school, I think.

Thought I read that the Harvard kid was a 7-footer. Had lots of points and rebounds per game.

Ivy Rookie of the Week (again)
Date: February 06, 2007 11:31AM

Freshman Alex Taylor Tyler was named Ivy rookie of the week.This makes the TENTH time this season the award has gone to a Cornellian (Wittman 5, Dale 4). There have been 11 winners this season. Cornell was off the week they didn't have the winner.

Looks like things are headed in the right direction!

EDIT: I knew I should have just used cut and paste...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2007 12:14AM by Chris '03.

Posted by: bandit1 (132.236.107.---)
Date: February 06, 2007 04:26PM

It's called graduation....In the Ivy League if you don't have a reason to be in school academically, you don't get to play.

Posted by: BCrespi (209.191.175.---)
Date: February 06, 2007 05:07PM

Just because one has completed his graduation requirements, does that mean he has to leave school? I don't feel like that is the case. If I hadn't applied to graduate, so long as I kept paying my tuition, wouldn't I have been allowed to stay and take more courses? Am I totally off-base here?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 06, 2007 06:33PM

bandit1
It's called graduation....In the Ivy League if you don't have a reason to be in school academically, you don't get to play.
Maybe so. But I'd expect that if the kid had graduated then the cornellbigred.com blurb would have said "Harvard was playing its first game without leading scorer and rebounder Brian Cusworth, who graduated after the fall semester" rather than "...who exhausted his eligibility after the fall semester." Now maybe that's expecting a little too much of the Cornell SID [gratuitous dig] but I'm just saying...

THE ROOKIES!!!!!!!!!
Date: February 06, 2007 06:34PM

Actually, his name is Alex Tyler.

Against Harvard, four Cornell freshmen combined for 47 points-- Dale 15 pts, Tyler 14 pts, Wittman 12 points, and rapidly developing Geoff Reeves with 6 points. The night before against Dartmouth, Reeves had a career high 7 points. He is still recovering from a major injury. Alex Tyler had 14 pts, Wittman 14 points, Dale 9 points.

Four freshmen leading the way of a team 4-2 in the Ivy and with an overall winning record AND without Adam Gore and Jason Hartford-- not to mention our USC transfer Collin Robinson and seven footer Jeff Foote from St. Bona.

This team will be a force next year. Get on the bandwagon before it leaves.

Posted by: saff678 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 06, 2007 06:48PM

The Harvard Crimson
The fifth-year senior from St. Louis finished his eighth semester and his Harvard degree in biology this January, rendering him ineligible, as a midyear graduate, to play for the Crimson during the second term.

[www.thecrimson.com]

Date: February 07, 2007 12:35PM

Keith K, Harvard should have mentioned he graduated but for whatever reason did not. There are no automatic fifth years in this league. Makes it tough when a student misses an entire season due to injury but is on target to graduate on time.

Re: THE ROOKIES!!!!!!!!!
Date: February 07, 2007 12:38PM

Wittman, Dale, and Reeves are fantastic young talent for the Big Red...Jeff Foote, although tall is unproven and Hartford has been here for 2 years, leaving him in need of? You guessed it a 5th year.

Posted by: Robb (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: February 07, 2007 02:14PM

bandit1
Keith K, Harvard should have mentioned he graduated but for whatever reason did not. There are no automatic fifth years in this league. Makes it tough when a student misses an entire season due to injury but is on target to graduate on time.
The Ivy League *generally* allows medical redshirts, but you still have to petition for them on a case-by-case basis. See Auger, Vinnie.

Date: February 08, 2007 10:52PM

Robb
bandit1
The Ivy League *generally* allows medical redshirts, but you still have to petition for them on a case-by-case basis. See Auger, Vinnie.
And couldn't you continue playing by going to grad school? I seem to remember the RB Oliaro (sp?) doing that, right?

Date: February 09, 2007 03:26PM

ugarte, only if the student-athlete graduates early would they be able to compete as a graduate student...note Kevin Rooney (football) graduated in 4 years, but still had a year of eligibility. He was not able to compete as a grad student..

Posted by: Robb (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2007 11:04AM

bandit1
ugarte, only if the student-athlete graduates early would they be able to compete as a graduate student...note Kevin Rooney (football) graduated in 4 years, but still had a year of eligibility. He was not able to compete as a grad student..

Yep - the Ivy League wants you to use your 4 years of eligibility in the first 4 years after your initial matriculation date. Competing in your 5th year of "higher education" is (generally, exceptions can be petitioned) a no-no, regardless of whether you're registered as a grad or undergrad in your 5th year.

Date: February 10, 2007 01:15PM

Robb
bandit1
Yep - the Ivy League wants you to use your 4 years of eligibility in the first 4 years after your initial matriculation date. Competing in your 5th year of "higher education" is (generally, exceptions can be petitioned) a no-no, regardless of whether you're registered as a grad or undergrad in your 5th year.
Right. But if you've used three years of eligibility at an Ivy, I think you could go to grad school at a non-Ivy and get your fourth year of eligibility, a la Matt Pollock wrestling this year at Hofstra.

Re: Big Win for Men's B-Ball!!! - start a new thread?
Date: February 10, 2007 01:21PM

Sure, it's a hockey forum, but on this section why not start a new thread for each basketball game? Easier for the rest of us to follow.

Re: Big Win for Men's B-Ball!!! - start a new thread?
Date: February 10, 2007 05:19PM

billhoward
Sure, it's a hockey forum, but on this section why not start a new thread for each basketball game? Easier for the rest of us to follow.
Because we aren't even talking about basketball. I'll start a thread for the Yale game, though. Big, big game.

Date: February 10, 2007 05:22PM

Al DeFlorio
Robb
Right. But if you've used three years of eligibility at an Ivy, I think you could go to grad school at a non-Ivy and get your fourth year of eligibility, a la Matt Pollock wrestling this year at Hofstra.
Tyler Shovlin '05 did the same thing at UNC-Greensboro

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2007 05:44PM by ugarte.

Re: Eligibilty rules
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 05:26PM

The rules change from time to time. There have been a couple of Cornellians who competed as graduate students. I remember Joe Holland '78 sitting out a year when he transferred to Cornell, then staying on for another year of football as a masters student. Shortly after Holland's success, the Ivies passed a rule explictly prohibited graduate students from competing even if they had eligibility left under NCAA rules. Almost 20 years later they relaxed the rule, and Tom Brownlie '98(?) took advantage of the change to play tennis while working on his masters degree. [www.news.cornell.edu] I don't know whether the rule has changed again or whether any other Cornellian has used it since then.

Posted by: Robb (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2007 07:31PM

Al DeFlorio
That makes sense, since it is the Ivies that won't let you compete in the 5th year. As long as you meet the criteria for the NCAA and your grad school, the Ivy rule wouldn't matter.

Date: February 11, 2007 11:03AM

Robb
That makes sense, since it is the Ivies that won't let you compete in the 5th year. As long as you meet the criteria for the NCAA and your grad school, the Ivy rule wouldn't matter.
Another example I just noticed: Yale's lacrosse face-off specialist last year (ranked 3rd in the nation), Dan Kallaugher, is in grad school at Loyola (Maryland) and will be using his fourth year of eligibility this spring.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login