Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Bill wrote something short I agree with? My head asplode.

Posted by jeh25 
Bill wrote something short I agree with? My head asplode.
Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 11, 2006 07:44PM

Bill -

Why can't you be short and to the point like this all the time? :-P

[www.pcmag.com]

Seriously, nice article.

Re: Bill wrote something short I agree with? My head asplode.
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 11, 2006 11:35PM

It takes work to write short. Remember the old joke attributed to everyone from Abe Lincoln going forward: "You want I should give a speech? A 10-minute speech, I'm going to need days to prepare. A two-hour speech, I'm ready now."

You ought to see the mail from people who think diesel exhaust is going to topple the redwoods and poison our cities. Yes, diesels aren't yet 100% as clean as the best gasoline engines, but with low-sulfur fuel, better particulate filters, and urea injection, they're going to be pretty much equivalent. I still think half the (car) pollution problem is poor people driving crappy cars who should be buying new catalytic converters rather than, say, food for the baby.

I drove a BMW twin-turbo diesel in Germany last year, one turbo that spins up in a hurry, one that kicks in a second or two later. 0-to-60 in about 6 seconds. No diesel noise inside, just the slightest rumble outside at stoplights. Mileage in the high 30s on a 4,000-pound 5 Series. I'm also getting excited by hybrids, at least as long as the feds are giving you $2,000-$3,000 tax credits to offset the $3,000 premiuim you pay for some of them. One of the nice parts of the job is I have to drive these cars somewhere on weekends, and NJ-to-Ithaca for a lax or hockey game is a reasonable day trip. LGR!

Posted by: Robb (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: May 12, 2006 10:24AM

billhoward
Maine, Massachusetts, New York, and Vermont effectively outlaw diesels, and some automakers say they won't introduce diesel cars until they're allowed in every state.
Yeah, right. Anyone think they'd bother saying that if the states on the list were Alaska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and Vermont? Or that they won't change their tune if Vermont is the lone holdout?

billhoward
New technologies, such as particulate filters (here now) and the injection of urea into the exhaust stream (coming), make diesels even cleaner.
Please, please, please tell me that there's a usage of the word "urea" that I'm not familiar with. barf

Posted by: ugarte (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: May 12, 2006 10:47AM

Robb
billhoward
the injection of urea into the exhaust stream (coming), make diesels even cleaner.
Please, please, please tell me that there's a usage of the word "urea" that I'm not familiar with. barf
I'm not comfortable with Bill's method of delivery either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2006 10:48AM by ugarte.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2006 01:35PM

Think of your form or urea induction as limp-home mode.

This is actually a sticking point. Without urea injected into the downstream diesel exhaust, the car runs just as well but not as clean. The onboard urea tank is good for 12,000-plus miles -- more than an oil change worth, more like a year's worth. But the feds want it to be readily available, like at Pep Boys or Seven-Eleven. The automakers say it's enough to have a true limp home mode that limits you to 40 mph since most likely you'll never run out if replacement is part of an oil change service. And you'd have about a thousand miles of advance warning that the urea tank is running low.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: May 12, 2006 02:48PM

Funny, I usually have to stop and empty my "urea tank" several times during a 1000-mile driving trip.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: May 12, 2006 03:54PM

One can imagine the eureka moment when engineers figured out this method of making diesels cleaner:

"I don't f-ing know?! At this point, I'd try pissing in the thing if I thought that would work."

And science advances.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 12, 2006 04:28PM

Scersk '97
"I don't f-ing know?! At this point, I'd try pissing in the thing if I thought that would work."

While I don't know who discovered this, there is probably a good chance they were German.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: May 12, 2006 05:56PM

nyc94
While I don't know who discovered this, there is probably a good chance they were German.

Well, we all know there are two things the Germans love: David Hasselhoff and watersport videos. Computers in cars and urea are then the natural solutions to any problem.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: May 12, 2006 06:00PM

Perhaps an engineer from a competitor was paid to sabotage the project, but unfortunately for him the plan backfired.:-)

As a shady character, zipping up his pants, slips unseen out the back door:

"What the hell is that smell?"

"I don't know. Start it up and see if we can figure out where it is coming from."

"Wow, that engine is purring better than ever."

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: May 12, 2006 06:03PM

On a little more serious note, I assume the urea is in a liquid form, and not powdered. Urea is a common source of nitrogen in both fertilizers and animal feeds. It can be obtained in liquid or dry form.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 12, 2006 06:14PM

Scersk '97
Well, we all know there are two things the Germans love: David Hasselhoff

And on a less serious note, if you haven't seen it. . .

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: May 16, 2006 07:19PM

Scersk '97
Well, we all know there are two things the Germans love: David Hasselhoff and watersport videos. Computers in cars and urea are then the natural solutions to any problem.

No, no, no. Germans: pooh. Austrians: pee.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login