Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

"In Search of the Great American Hockey Novel"

Posted by Jacob 03 
"In Search of the Great American Hockey Novel"
Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.carlsl01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 01:04AM

[www.nytimes.com]

Keith Gessen wrote an interesting essay in the NYTimes Book Review this Sunday, focusing on a couple hockey books (the one rendering this post obligatory obviously neither American nor a novel). Apologies in advance for when this inevitably goes registration-only....
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2006 01:16AM by Jacob 03.

Re: "In Search of the Great American Hockey Novel"
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2006 02:00AM

What accounts for the marginal place of hockey in the world of American professional sports? Might it not, in the end, have something to do with its marginal place in the world of American letters?
Yeah. That's why people don't watch hockey. All the sheep who'd rather watch poker on ESPN8 would magically be converted by a wonderfully crafted hockey novel. rolleyes

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: February 21, 2006 09:27AM

You call them "sheep" as if they've been misled, or even forced, into watching poker instead of hockey. There's a reason ESPN shows more poker than hockey, and it's because more people want to watch it. Maybe that'll change after the vast majority of them realize they'll never get rich playing poker themselves, maybe not; but it's not like someone's holding guns to their heads right now.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 10:47AM

I'd like to hold a gun to my roommate's head to make him STOP watching poker (especially during the Olympics!). Help? Anyone?

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 10:37PM

Beeeej
You call them "sheep" as if they've been misled, or even forced, into watching poker instead of hockey. There's a reason ESPN shows more poker than hockey, and it's because more people want to watch it. Maybe that'll change after the vast majority of them realize they'll never get rich playing poker themselves, maybe not; but it's not like someone's holding guns to their heads right now.

Beeeej
And that they will get rich playing hockey? screwy

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 11:28PM

Speaking of hockey literature, how about children's books about hockey players? I remember reading a few in my youth, but I don't remember the authors or titles. There are more now, Matt Christopher having cranked out a shelfful by himself. I don't think any of the ones I remember were by him, but I could be wrong.

1) An American, playing for Dartmouth, is signed by the NY Rangers. This is 1950's, maybe even earlier. He fairly quickly realizes that he really doesn't belong at that level but is just there as a novelty to boost attendance.

2) High school player moves to a new northern Minnesota town and competes with the established star for friends and glory on the ice. Memorable finish.

3) Sequel to #2. Totally unmemorable.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2006 08:36AM

Beeeej
You call them "sheep" as if they've been misled, or even forced, into watching poker instead of hockey.
I call them "sheep" because they're watching what everybody else is watching. If the next big thing is street luge, I have no doubt they'll watch that too.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: February 22, 2006 09:58AM

jmh30
Beeeej
You call them "sheep" as if they've been misled, or even forced, into watching poker instead of hockey.
I call them "sheep" because they're watching what everybody else is watching. If the next big thing is street luge, I have no doubt they'll watch that too.

Amazingly enough, some people actually continue to watch television programming that they enjoy, no matter why they first started watching it. Perhaps you're the exception - you tried watching a very popular program because you'd heard how good it was, saw that it was, indeed, very good, and then stopped watching because you didn't want to be a "sheep"? Somehow I doubt it.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 22, 2006 06:48PM

David Harding
Speaking of hockey literature, how about children's books about hockey players?

Hobey Baker is mentioned in "This Side of Paradise," which is pretty childish.

Oh, oh, you mean books *for* children... ;-)

Date: February 22, 2006 06:51PM

jmh30
Beeeej

Even as the Forum Shadow Minister in Charge of "The Masses are Asses" Portfolio, I don't think people are watching poker because they're lemmings.

I think they keep expecting it to be strip poker, and that they are constantly, bitterly frustrated.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: February 28, 2006 11:28AM

It's not a novel, but Carrier's The Hockey Sweater is my favorite piece of hockey lit:

[www.tundrabooks.com]

If you wanna good laugh at an archetypal Quebecois accent, here's the author's over-the-top reading of the story:

[archives.cbc.ca]

And here is a way cool web site exploring related Canadian cultural themes:

[www.civilization.ca]

Date: March 07, 2006 11:36AM

I recently noticed a book by 90's Colgate goaltender Ken Baker ("They Don't Play Hockey in Heaven," Lyons Press, 2003). It's about him coming back from a tumor to play in the ECHL. I leafed through it briefly but didn't pick it up. Has anyone read it?

Posted by: GoBruno (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 01:44AM

I absolutely devoured it. It's a little sappy at times, but an overall great read.

If you're a fan of minor league hockey and/or memoirs you'll probably like it. And if you're an upstate NY native, some parts will make you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

(Not to nitpick, but the team Baker played for - the Bakersfield Condors - was in the WCHL at the time.)

AJF
Brown '01
ILR '08 :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login