Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

OT - New CU Prez

Posted by Ben Rocky '04 
OT - New CU Prez
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.hyatsv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 03:03PM

Re: OT - New CU Prez
Posted by: KP '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 03:20PM

Interesting. I hadn't heard anything about the search process ... did anyone else?

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 04:01PM

What a shocker, another Middle Aged White Male

Posted by: HeafDog (---.hbo.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 04:06PM

What's with our Iowa fixation? Are they like our farm team or something?

New President on Saturday...
Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: January 20, 2006 01:03PM

Re: New President on Saturday...
Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.cupolice.cornell.edu)
Date: January 20, 2006 02:27PM

If you look at the updated on-line source it will name the new president

Re: New President on Saturday...
Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: January 20, 2006 03:59PM

Here's a good biograpghy:
[chronicle.com]

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: January 20, 2006 04:25PM

Now as a faithful Iowan (along with past member of the faithful), there's some good details in the local newspaper.

[www.desmoinesregister.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2006 04:26PM by Chris 02.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 05:54PM

Does anyone else feel like "Skorton" sounds like a made up name? :-D

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.18.234.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 12:19PM

From the Chronicle:
[q]As Iowa president, Skorton has focused on the university's commitments to diversity, economic development, the health sciences, intercollegiate athletics and public service.[/q]

He can start by canning Andy Noel and bringing in a Big Ten AD... or really anyone with a clue.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.18.234.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 12:30PM

HeafDog
What's with our Iowa fixation? Are they like our farm team or something?

I just want to know if this means the Lynah renovations include a pink visiting locker room.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2006 09:08PM

Will
Not nearly as much as "Hunter Rawlings III" does. :-P

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: January 25, 2006 12:37PM

jmh30
Will
Not nearly as much as "Hunter Rawlings III" does. :-P

Hunter Ripley Rawlings III, if you please.

Beeeej

Posted by: ugarte (12.10.219.---)
Date: January 25, 2006 03:09PM

Chris 02
along with past member of the faithful
There are no past members of the faithful, only lapsed ticketholders.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 27, 2006 12:11PM

Tub(a)
You wanted a pre-teen?

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.law.pitt.edu)
Date: January 27, 2006 02:08PM

Trotsky
Tub(a)
You wanted a pre-teen?

That took you a week? :-P

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 27, 2006 03:19PM

Tub(a)
Trotsky
Tub(a)
You wanted a pre-teen?

That took you a week? :-P
Hey, I forgot this forum even existed...

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.76.184.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 01:06PM

Suddenly I feel really old:
[q]You can learn a lot about a university from e-mail traffic, and about students from Facebook. Facebook has become an interesting mechanism for me to stay in touch with students. I have over 4,000 Facebook friends at Iowa, and I already have 50 or 60 at Cornell. I don't take the stuff off the wall so that other people can see what other people are saying to me.[/q]

That was future Pres. Skorton in today's Sun. [www.cornellsun.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2006 01:07AM

Chris '03
Suddenly I feel really old:
[q]You can learn a lot about a university from e-mail traffic, and about students from Facebook. Facebook has become an interesting mechanism for me to stay in touch with students. I have over 4,000 Facebook friends at Iowa, and I already have 50 or 60 at Cornell. I don't take the stuff off the wall so that other people can see what other people are saying to me.[/q]

That was future Pres. Skorton in today's Sun. [www.cornellsun.com]
For what it's worth, I looked at Pres. Skorton's Facebook wall and there are a number of Iowa students expressing regret at seeing him go. A President who makes a connection with the student body seems like it'd be a wonderful thing to have. (I'm told Rhodes was like that, but I wouldn't know - my first year was also Hunter's.)

Date: February 28, 2006 09:53AM

jmh30
A President who makes a connection with the student body seems like it'd be a wonderful thing to have. (I'm told Rhodes was like that, but I wouldn't know - my first year was also Hunter's.)

Rhodes was, and still is, very much like that. I lingered at Schoellkopf long enough after my commencement ceremonies ended that, as I walked past Day Hall, Rhodes was coming out, and he stopped me and asked what my post-graduation plans were. Within a few years I was working with him at occasional development events, but I left in 2000 - yet to this day, twelve years after I graduated, he continues to greet me by name and ask me if I've ever gotten around to finishing the book I was writing.

It's almost enough to make me go back to working on it. ;-)

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: cth95 (---.uvm.edu)
Date: February 28, 2006 12:38PM

I never had quite that detailed of an experience, but the few times I ran into Rhodes he was always interested in finding out a little about me and my interests. He seemed geniunely interested in what I thought of the school and how things were going for me. I feel very lucky, as did my classmates, that his last year was also my last year. We had him as the speaker at graduation, and he was excellent. I thought that was a fitting close after I had first been so impressed with him during freshman orientation.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.76.184.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 01:05PM

cth95
We had him as the speaker at graduation, and he was excellent. I thought that was a fitting close after I had first been so impressed with him during freshman orientation.

Doesn't everyone have the president as the speaker at commencement?

Posted by: cth95 (---.uvm.edu)
Date: February 28, 2006 01:33PM

I mean he was the keynote speaker. I don't think that is normal. For example, I think Hillary Clinton spoke a few years ago. Feel free, anyone, to correct me if I am wrong.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (209.191.246.---)
Date: February 28, 2006 01:38PM

Cornell doesn't give out honorary degrees, therefore, the keynote commencement speaker is always the president. The fancy/famous person traditionally given the honorary degree at most other colleges and universities gives Cornell's convocation speech. That's the one of which you're thinking.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: February 28, 2006 02:27PM

Jerseygirl
Cornell doesn't give out honorary degrees, therefore, the keynote commencement speaker is always the president. The fancy/famous person traditionally given the honorary degree at most other colleges and universities gives Cornell's convocation speech. That's the one of which you're thinking.

I really like that Cornell does NOT give out honorary degrees (you have to earn it with your blood, sweat, and tears) and I hope this never changes. I also think Cornell's commencement exercises are the best. The pagentry as the professors and graduates march in to Schoellkopf field is second to none and the fact that the only speaker is the University President is very cool and the graduation ceremony itself is short and sweet. I remember my graduation weekend (1999) quite well. It was also the 2nd or 3rd year of the PhD recognition ceremony which is held on Saturday afternoon and allows each graduate to have his/her name and the area of their research announces and receive a presidential handshake. There were several of us who did our PhD research in the same building and we, my dog included, all marched together on Sunday morning. Yes, that is the other very cool thing about Cornell's graduation ceremony, you can march with your pet. My brother thought I was nuts, and afterwards informed me that there were ~ 20 others who also marched with their dog (I had told him I wouldn't be the only one!). My dog had a graduation cap and tassel, after all she had earned her C.G.C (Canine Good Citizen) degree while at Cornell :-). We also had a fabulous weekend, unlike the class of 1992 (or was it 1993) that graduated on a cold (low 50's) rainy day. It had been in the 80's on Saturday and then a cold front came through. I lived behind Schoellkopf that year and remember watching on it on TV while bundled in blankets.

Date: February 28, 2006 02:34PM

1992 was the commencement where it was rainy and nearly freezing, though it started to rain toward the end of 1996's too.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: February 28, 2006 02:48PM

Thank you for confirming that is was 1992 as I originally thought. I felt sorry for all the people in the stands in their nice spring-summer clothes. What a miserable day.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 02:55PM

It's funny. When I entered as a freshman, I was somewhat disappointed that I wasn't going to have a celebrity speak at my commencement. I also thought I was a big jock-hating/anti-corporate hippie (now I have several athletically inclined friends, am doing a sprint triathlon in June, and work on Wall Street), so, uh, things obviously changed. By the time I earned my degree 4 years later, I was really proud that I went to a school that doesn't give a doctorate to someone just for showing up. Having the president give the commencement address made me feel like the administration and faculty were really proud of the degree candidates. I especially liked Lehman's addresses; his seemed like they took a lot of thought to craft and didn't employ platitudes.

Posted by: RichH (---.cttel.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 03:22PM

Rita
Thank you for confirming that is was 1992 as I originally thought. I felt sorry for all the people in the stands in their nice spring-summer clothes. What a miserable day.

I was up near the top of the crescent when it started sleeting. Also, many of the graduates had the black from the robes run all over their clothes. I don't remember it raining hard in 1996. There might have been one cloudburst.

Bit of trivia: The only two honorary degrees Cornell has given: Andrew Dickson White, and David Starr Jordan, the first president of Stanford. Jordan, who already had an M.S. from CU in 1872 (he skipped the bachelor level), apparently signed a petition against having honorary degrees, and it's well known that White himself instituted the policy during his presidency.

Date: February 28, 2006 03:25PM

RichH
Bit of trivia: The only two honorary degrees Cornell has given: Andrew Dickson White, and David Starr Jordan, the first president of Stanford. Jordan, who already had an M.S. from CU in 1872 (he skipped the bachelor level), apparently signed a petition against having honorary degrees, and it's well known that White himself instituted the policy during his presidency.

Cornell also conferred a posthumous degree on my '94 classmate who died in a stupid accident (trying to enter a house through the kitchen chimney, if I'm remembering correctly) only a couple of months before he would have graduated. There was a bit of stink when they were originally going to stick to their "no degree shall be awarded that has not actually been earned to completion" policy rather than help comfort a grieving family, but they finally wised up, and I don't think anybody really disagreed with the decision.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 28, 2006 03:42PM

cth95
I think Hillary Clinton spoke a few years ago.

Bill Clinton, 2004, my MEng year. Quite an experience. Even more people in Schollkopf than for commencement - now *that's* rare.

James Carville was the year before. Looks like Wesley Clark was last year.

We've definitely moved up from Danny Glover in 2002 - not that I have anything against the guy :).

Cornell Commencement
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 09:22AM

I actually went to graduation my Sophomore and Junior years because I happened to be in town. Frank Rhodes was a great commencement speaker, and having all the graduates together is better than splitting it into six ceremonies so you can read all the names (like we did at UCSB). The short ceremony for the whole university followed by individual department receptions was a nice arrangement.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Winnabago (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 11:36AM

cth95
I mean he was the keynote speaker. I don't think that is normal. For example, I think Hillary Clinton spoke a few years ago. Feel free, anyone, to correct me if I am wrong.

Hilary spoke to a mostly female crowd in Barton mid-semester, I recall not knowing about it and wondering what the black lincoln procession was for, so much so that I wandered in and listened. I have no official comment concerning the content on this hockey forum.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: March 01, 2006 02:05PM

I remember that now. I was playing pick-up basketball, and there were secret servicemen all over Barton as the place was being set up. It must have been Bill that I was thinking of as a convocation speaker a few years later as someone else had mentioned.

I guess I was wrong that Rhodes was our main speaker for commencement just because we had wanted no one else (although that would have been true, given the choice). I thought there was also normally a guest speaker as well. I did see Danny Glover at a friend's graduation in 2002 and thought it was an odd choice. I didn't realize he had done so much charity work.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: March 02, 2006 02:02PM

Jerseygirl

And it was Bill, not Hillary. Also, the graduation speaker hasn't always been the President. At mine, it was Morris Bishop. Can't imagine a better choice to send us all on our way. Still remember part of the address.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2006 02:11PM by ninian '72.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login