Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

cornell covid testing

Posted by upprdeck 
cornell covid testing
Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: November 18, 2021 09:13AM

As the numbers on campus are rising for staff it would be interesting if they broke down the testing numbers a bit better. Of the 5K of tests a day how many are staff vs students because the staff numbers are pretty bad the last 5 days. Faculty has been lagging a bit as well. From what I can see the numbers are only for people getting testing on the campus locations as well. How many people are getting tested at other locations and are not being included in this?

Re: cornell covid testing
Date: December 02, 2021 05:20PM

man crazy numbers for the kids coming back from break.. staff not much better.

Date: December 09, 2021 05:36PM

wow 60 people yesterday on campus.. it must be rolling around town at this point

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: December 09, 2021 07:49PM

upprdeck
wow 60 people yesterday on campus.. it must be rolling around town at this point

It's rolling around everywhere right now.

Date: December 10, 2021 06:24PM

and now the mail that they have upped the anti.. 120 in 2 days.. its really gonna be interesting to see after break.. could be its long enough many get sick, hopefully all minor or no symptoms and we come back and the testing gets better since it will have gone thru people.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2021 11:00PM

[cornellsun.com] 194 cases in the last week.

Date: December 11, 2021 10:59PM

provost with another email today 300 cases the last 2 days.. is break gonna make this better or worse in a few weeks.,

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2021 12:52PM

upprdeck
provost with another email today 300 cases the last 2 days.. is break gonna make this better or worse in a few weeks.,

Do I recall correctly that Cornell did not have a vax mandate for students this semester? RIT had one for students, but the faculty/staff mandate didn't come into effect until now (as a result of the federal mandate for employees of organizations receiving federal funds).

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Weder (47.199.77.---)
Date: December 12, 2021 03:29PM

jtwcornell91
upprdeck

Do I recall correctly that Cornell did not have a vax mandate for students this semester? RIT had one for students, but the faculty/staff mandate didn't come into effect until now (as a result of the federal mandate for employees of organizations receiving federal funds).

Cornell has a vax mandate for students without a medical/religious expedition. The covid dashboard says 26,000 students have been vaccinated, so that’s gotta be pretty close to 100 percent.

Date: December 13, 2021 09:15AM

the staff one is in effect.. theres a reason so many people have been let go the last few weeks.

Posted by: underskill (204.194.190.---)
Date: December 13, 2021 10:25AM

These poor kids are going to be such hypochondriacs by the time they graduate.

Date: December 13, 2021 01:35PM

glad my kid only had 2 yrs of chaos.. some of these kids may end up with 4 yrs of this crap

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2021 06:00PM

underskill
These poor kids are going to be such hypochondriacs by the time they graduate.
Exactly the opposite. They're learning to live with facts and balance threats and probabilities and risks.

These kids are going to be so much better than their moron parents and grandparents at dealing with stuff like this.

I mean, they'll still burn their planet to a cinder for shareprice, but they'll be smarter about it.

Date: December 14, 2021 10:44AM

it was closer to 450 new cases at the end of last week. jumped from under 1% to 3% positivity.

thats like 750 cases in the last 2 weeks. and interesting those cases dont show up at all on the tompkins county listings for the state

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 14, 2021 11:28AM

welp

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2021 12:04PM

If Omicron becomes the dominant strain, and IF (fingers crossed) it is less virulent than prior strains, then the focus should shift from who tests positive to how many people need hospitalization.

We'll know soon enough if this is where we'll be heading.

Date: December 14, 2021 12:51PM

reading the Prez email at the rate this is spreading more people are gonna end up in hospitals than ever if you dont get a vax

Date: December 14, 2021 01:14PM

I wonder what other schools would be finding if they were testing this hard around the area.. You wouldnt think a highly vax area like the Tomp county to be worse than other local areas. Cortland/TC3 probably have much the same but dont even know it.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-204-139.myvzw.com)
Date: December 14, 2021 01:42PM

With respect to canceling sporting events, given how cautious Cornell/the Ivy League has been since the beginning of the pandemic, nothing would surprise me at this point. But it would frankly be outrageous to cancel events long-term/into spring semester. Prior to the existence of a widely available vaccine, delaying the spread of COVID made sense. Now, there is no coherent argument in favor of delaying the spread of an endemic disease for which there exists a vaccine that prevents severe illness. We will never eradicate COVID; closing campus and canceling events will not prevent spread but only delay it. If an uptick in cases necessitates shutting things down, then Cornell will have to repeatedly shut things down every year until the end of time.

Date: December 14, 2021 02:35PM

cornells response is pretty much try to slow it down enough and test enough to get kids off campus without taking it home. if this was sept and it happened and you didnt test like we did it would roll thru in 3-4 weeks and no kids would be left to get it at this rate.

Date: December 14, 2021 03:55PM

i have been off campus for awhile now. did i miss some thing major happening to campus buidlings.

cornell campus

Date: December 14, 2021 07:47PM

upprdeck
i have been off campus for awhile now. did i miss some thing major happening to campus buidlings.

cornell campus

Dammit, we told the Physics Department to stop doing experiments with Alice strings!

Date: December 14, 2021 08:13PM

jtwcornell91
upprdeck

cornell campus

Dammit, we told the Physics Department to stop doing experiments with Alice strings!

Isn't that in Australia?

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 14, 2021 11:29PM

scoop85
If Omicron becomes the dominant strain, and IF (fingers crossed) it is less virulent than prior strains, then the focus should shift from who tests positive to how many people need hospitalization.
so far i think the evidence is that it is less virulent but more transmissible. alas, the transmissibility is potentially overwhelming the virulence, making it net more dangerous (though mostly to the unvaccinated, as the vaccinated get sick but clear the virus).

Date: December 15, 2021 04:39AM

upprdeck

cornell campus
Deep fake: it's a nice day.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2021 11:00AM

Just wondering.

Almost all the identified infectives are students. The incubation period (time from exposure to the development of symptoms) of the virus is estimated to be between 2 and 14 days based on the following sources:

The World Health Organization (WHO) reported an incubation period for COVID-19 between 2 and 10 days.

The CDC estimates the incubation period for COVID-19 to be between 2 and 14 days.

Viruses propagate in a susceptible population more or less exponentially, so might students who left campus for Thanksgiving have brought the virus back with them? The models, which were the basis for originally keeping the campus open, showed that holding in-person classes was better than having students take classes virtually, where mandates for testing or other controls couldn’t be enforced.

Maybe Mike should quarantine the team. Just wondering.

Date: December 15, 2021 11:11AM

much of the team lives together which is good if they really maintain a bubble.. but doubt they do.

Posted by: underskill (204.194.190.---)
Date: December 15, 2021 02:50PM

Helluva vaccine they’re forcing on people

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2021 04:13PM

underskill
Helluva vaccine they’re forcing on people

sure, the vaccines are useless :-|

Date: December 15, 2021 06:11PM

Ignore it. It feeds on attention.

Posted by: toddlose (76.117.252.---)
Date: December 15, 2021 06:43PM

[people.com]

Date: December 16, 2021 04:00PM

Trotsky

The Querdenker are everywhere, it seems.

Date: December 16, 2021 04:33PM

jtwcornell91
Trotsky

The Querdenker are everywhere, it seems.

Not sure there doing much denken.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 18, 2021 01:07PM

Harvard will be remote to open spring term. Would be reasonable to expect other schools to follow suit.

[www.harvard.edu]

Date: December 18, 2021 02:57PM

i find it interesting so many of the tested have not been of the new variant. after all fall suddenly t-day kicks off a huge outbreak for the kids, like they went home and mixed with people and boom break thru covid all over.. 10% of the kids getting sick in a week.. good news 10% so it worked for 90% I guess.

Date: December 18, 2021 05:41PM

upprdeck
i find it interesting so many of the tested have not been of the new variant. after all fall suddenly t-day kicks off a huge outbreak for the kids, like they went home and mixed with people and boom break thru covid all over.. 10% of the kids getting sick in a week.. good news 10% so it worked for 90% I guess.

I thought I read that substantially all Cornell student cases were omicron.

Date: December 18, 2021 11:33PM

Chris '03
upprdeck

I thought I read that substantially all Cornell student cases were omicron.
From the [cornellsun.com] December 17, 2021
Tompkins County Public Health Director Frank Kruppa
“The initial batch of positive results from the 18-24 population, prioritized for sequencing due to the rapid spread observed and indication of Omicron, resulted in all 115 samples being confirmed cases of the variant,” Kruppa wrote. “These results indicate that the primary spread amongst this population is due to the more transmissible Omicron variant.”

Date: December 19, 2021 10:06AM

thats not what I heard I was told 100 out of the 300.. but if its 115 because thats all they sequenced that explains they uptick much better, and is actually good news. It mans delta didnt suddenly get worse but that Omi spreading is gonna go fast.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2021 09:12AM

From today’s D&C regarding New York’s COVID mandates:

Are masks required when playing indoor sports?

Yes, in the case of sports taking place inside a gym or other indoor sports facility.”

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: December 21, 2021 11:37AM

George64
From today’s D&C regarding New York’s COVID mandates:

Are masks required when playing indoor sports?

Yes, in the case of sports taking place inside a gym or other indoor sports facility.”

And I guarantee that professional sports teams will be magically exempt from those mandates. They're using the same tired playbook from late 2020 despite the availability of vaccines. And omicron spread aside, many recreational sports participants have much less tolerance for mask mandates considering what has happened within the past year.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2021 11:38AM by Iceberg.

Date: December 21, 2021 05:41PM

Chris '03
Harvard will be remote to open spring term. Would be reasonable to expect other schools to follow suit.

[www.harvard.edu]
IIRC we followed them in 2020. Gonna be something when they cancel their sports.

Date: December 21, 2021 06:39PM

Trotsky
Chris '03

[www.harvard.edu]
IIRC we followed them in 2020. Gonna be something when they cancel their sports.

Seems like lots of schools trying to find a balance. Yale and cornell now mandating boosters but still plan to open on time. Yale banning spectators from sports through at least 1/1. Union delayed reopening of campus a week.

I would guess they will try to postpone things like ivy sports schedules where possible (maybe push basketball back a week and cancel tournament) before just shutting everything down again. Would hate to see ivy hockey teams pushed into January forfeits.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2021 09:05PM

So are we just going to cancel things forever? What’s the end game with this? Is there any sort of plan or scientific theory as to how this can end?

Date: December 21, 2021 09:27PM

CU2007
So are we just going to cancel things forever? What’s the end game with this? Is there any sort of plan or scientific theory as to how this can end?

Everybody infected or vaccinated.

Or dead.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-193-134.myvzw.com)
Date: December 21, 2021 10:06PM

CU2007
If this season gets canceled, then there is officially no endgame. The endgame should have been a widely accessible vaccine, which there now is. COVID is/will be endemic, so canceling things now is essentially signing up to cancel things during every future wave, of which there will be many.

Date: January 08, 2022 10:57PM

you look at the cornell numbers this week and it really hasnt slowed down all that much. almost 300 the last 2 days of numbers.. I guess everyone boosted up and then said time to go party and eat out every night. its as much staff as kids at this point.

Date: January 10, 2022 11:23PM

Starting the spring semester on time, but with two weeks of virtual classes only. Phase move-in. Get a booster. Test before you come back. Test twice a week for two weeks. Athletic events continue.
[cornellsun.com]
[www.14850.com]
[ithacavoice.com]

Date: January 11, 2022 09:25AM

this week cornell tested 200 people and had about 90 test positive. I wonder if its mainly because only people got tested who thought they had it or were exposed..

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2022 07:48PM

Testing for employees/students is mandatory. There is still a pretty fair amount of students on campus

Date: February 18, 2022 10:57AM

masks come off and numbers on campus go right back up. around town yesterday its way less than 50/50 in most stores/shops. I saw people walk up to panera see they still wanted masks and they turned around, and got in the car and left.

40 positives on campus wed

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2022 12:44PM

upprdeck
masks come off and numbers on campus go right back up. around town yesterday its way less than 50/50 in most stores/shops. I saw people walk up to panera see they still wanted masks and they turned around, and got in the car and left.

40 positives on campus wed

But the counter argument is all 40 of those people are probably totally fine or have the sniffles. So, who cares?

Date: February 19, 2022 12:57PM

not a smart argument. you have no idea who is getting it from them and 40 is just the ones who were found with no symptoms.. the ones with symptoms are not being testing on campus anyway..

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2022 01:18PM

But that’s been true of viruses and illness forever. Why cancel everything and force masks etc indefinitely now?

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2022 04:21PM

closing things wouldn't be as necessary if people didn't have to be such fucking babies about masks. i "get" not wanting to be vaccinated. not that i agree with it, but vaccine skepticism has a long and storied history so i "get" that there will be some resistance. anti-mask attitudes are based on absolutely nothing. the purest form of virtue signaling from the people who pretend to hate it the most.

Date: February 19, 2022 05:46PM

ugarte
closing things wouldn't be as necessary if people didn't have to be such fucking babies about masks. i "get" not wanting to be vaccinated. not that i agree with it, but vaccine skepticism has a long and storied history so i "get" that there will be some resistance. anti-mask attitudes are based on absolutely nothing. the purest form of virtue signaling from the people who pretend to hate it the most.
But mah freedumbs!!!1!1

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.241.---)
Date: February 22, 2022 09:44PM

CU2007
But that’s been true of viruses and illness forever. Why cancel everything and force masks etc indefinitely now?

I think that as we approach, in the US alone, 1 million dead and still around 1000 deaths per day that there might just be something different about COVID compared to other viruses and illnesses in our lifetimes. I agree that we can't continue on indefinitely with a lot of restrictions but as others here have noted, if people just did some pretty minimal things like vaccinating themselves and their families and masking or distancing as appropriate then we would indeed be in a position to lift restrictions and treat isolated breakouts. So we continue to protect lives until we can get past some more hurdles rather than give up and have many many more dead.

Date: February 23, 2022 10:57AM

its gonna be a few years before we find out how to handle this.. we already know people have long range effects. Its like saying its like the FLU but it isnt. you tend to recover from the flu and a small number die but how many have long lasting issues that affect all parts of the body for month after month.

many want to gloss over it. but if we did more to make less people sick its not only a better short term thing its a better long term thing.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.net.cia.gov)
Date: February 23, 2022 11:09AM

I love that people think their impatience and wants factor into medical realities.

It's so... charming.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2022 01:45PM

Trotsky
I love that people think their impatience and wants factor into medical realities.

It's so... charming.
The following statements are not at odds with each other:
1. COVID is a lot worse than “the sniffles” or “the flu.”
2. Masks and (especially) vaccines are very good at protecting people and preventing spread.
3. There are high costs and minor benefits to many COVID restrictions beyond mandating masks and vaccines.

People suggesting governments, schools, etc. should continue to restrict gatherings, make classes remote, etc. need to be upfront about when (if ever) they’d be comfortable with these restrictions going away. We’ve all lived under some level of COVID restrictions for two years now. We’ve had a free and widely accessible vaccine for a year now. What are we waiting for? If some people are too dumb to get vaccinated, what makes you think that is going to change? We’re likely going to be stuck with this seasonal, endemic virus forever. Luckily, we have highly effective ways of protecting ourselves. At this point, people need to be afforded the freedom to fully return to their pre-pandemic lives.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.net.cia.gov)
Date: February 23, 2022 02:07PM

People suggesting governments, schools, etc. should continue to restrict gatherings, make classes remote, etc. need to be upfront about when (if ever) they’d be comfortable with these restrictions going away.

"Upfront" is obviously loaded rhetoric, since it implies the doctors and health policy experts have an agenda, whereas in reality they're practicing their profession as distinct from individuals who just want what they want cuz WAAH.

But I think it's fair to have trigger conditions for relief of these policies. And I'll bet they even have them, as if the ideological opponents would (could) read them.

This is science vs fantasyland. If you really need to put black and white hats on the parties, we all know who's who so please just stop.

Date: February 23, 2022 02:14PM

i found the restrictions like masks almost a minor issue at best.. but then i didnt need to work around people and wear one all day. the people doing the work complained less than the people who needed to wear one for 10-15 at a time..

I am find with the restrictions going away but I dont think we are really low enough and if you wear a mask in some places you do get ridiculed which is sad.

The worst part is that when it happens again we now know a huge number are gonna not follow the rules again.. the good part is maybe its 100 yrs from now and most of us wont care.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2022 02:20PM

Trotsky

People suggesting governments, schools, etc. should continue to restrict gatherings, make classes remote, etc. need to be upfront about when (if ever) they’d be comfortable with these restrictions going away.

"Upfront" is obviously loaded rhetoric, since it implies the doctors and health policy experts have an agenda, whereas in reality they're practicing their profession as distinct from individuals who just want what they want cuz WAAH.

But I think it's fair to have trigger conditions for relief of these policies. And I'll bet they even have them, as if the ideological opponents would (could) read them.

This is science vs fantasyland. If you really need to put black and white hats on the parties, we all know who's who so please just stop.
I’m referring to people imposing restrictions (eg. governments and colleges) needing to be upfront, not doctors and health policy experts. To the extent doctors and health policy experts have an agenda, it’s “keeping people healthy.” Which is obviously a worthy and admirable goal, and they are absolutely not the bad guys. But doctors are not tasked with weighing the non-health-related costs of certain restrictions. It wouldn’t make sense to ask a doctor to weigh the health benefits of remote learning (a subject on which they can opine) against the cost to a student of missing out on in-person learning (a subject about which doctors should not be expected to have any knowledge).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2022 02:22PM by BearLover.

Date: February 23, 2022 04:31PM

its funny to think most college kids cared about in person learning when so many skip classes all the time.. i know not the majority, but still many.. i had 2 kids in college thru this.. the missed alot of stuff, but the going to class part not much..

have 2 other kids teaching thru this, again the kids who actually had responsible people at home to help them did pretty well. tons of kids fell thru the cracks, but also many of those kids didnt care about school before this all happened.

if the choice was in person or safety, then safety first. and many school districts only really had remote learning in the beginning because they had no other way to do it.. the 2nd and now 3rd year of this has been in person almost the whole time.

Date: March 04, 2022 03:02PM

so IC is making the leap to less mask mandates.. wonder if cornell decides to go that way ic masks coming off

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login