Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

We made the Washington Post

Posted by abmarks 
We made the Washington Post
Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2020 02:21AM

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Not sure if this is a good look or a bad one

Re: We made the Washington Post
Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 28, 2020 11:01AM

abmarks
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Zhang seems like an admissions mistake--entitled and petulant.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 29, 2020 04:59PM

scoop85
abmarks
[www.washingtonpost.com]

hahaha yeah really breaking the mold

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 29, 2020 06:55PM

ugarte
scoop85
abmarks
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Yeah, I figured someone would point out that she actually is not particularly an outlier

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 29, 2020 11:40PM

The Sun reports a cluster of 9 students testing positive "following several small social gatherings where people did not social distance or wear masks." The Vice President for Student and Campus Life is reported to have emailed that "multiple students have already been temporarily suspended for reported violations of the behavioral compact."

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 31, 2020 03:37PM

U of Alabama is at 1,000 - 1,200 at the end of August. Roll, Tide.

University of Alabama Orders Faculty to Keep Quiet about Outbreak

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2020 02:29PM

ugarte
scoop85
abmarks
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Goddamnit, beat me by this much.

Date: September 03, 2020 02:31PM

David Harding
The Sun reports a cluster of 9 students testing positive "following several small social gatherings where people did not social distance or wear masks." The Vice President for Student and Campus Life is reported to have emailed that "multiple students have already been temporarily suspended for reported violations of the behavioral compact."
To be fair to the moron students, this was completely forseeable and entirely on Cornell. They tried to finesse it, presumably for cash flow, and it's going to blow up in their face. If there was a way for the class action suits to bomb them into penury without affecting the hockey team I'd be all for it.

I used to respect Cornell as the People's Ivy, but even then it was probably just a real estate and defense grant scam masquerading as a university.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2020 02:32PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: September 03, 2020 02:57PM

Trotsky
David Harding
To be fair to the moron students, this was completely forseeable and entirely on Cornell. They tried to finesse it, presumably for cash flow, and it's going to blow up in their face. If there was a way for the class action suits to bomb them into penury without affecting the hockey team I'd be all for it.

I used to respect Cornell as the People's Ivy, but even then it was probably just a real estate and defense grant scam masquerading as a university.

The decisions have been entirely on Cornell, but the context is more complex than you suggest. The studies they did showed that if they went to online instruction only, a certain significant percentage of the students would have returned to Ithaca anyway since it's somewhat unavoidably where they now live - and with them living off-campus, Cornell would not have had the ability to impose and enforce any behavioral compact, so more and larger gatherings were likely. Their analysis (whether it's right or not, I can't say) told them that they were likely to have higher infection and transmission rates in those circumstances than if they held on-campus instruction, which allows Cornell to impose and enforce the compact on all students living either on-campus or off.

Plus, I'm not sure they would've lost money if they'd gone to online-only instruction, so "cash flow" seems misplaced to me. You think they would've refunded anyone's tuition or a portion thereof?

Whether the numbers would be higher or lower than they are now, they are at least significantly lower than at other comparable institutions of Cornell's size, and as of now have not topped 25% of the Cuomo-imposed hard limit. [covid.cornell.edu]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2020 03:01PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: September 03, 2020 08:57PM

if they didnt try this and get some kids into the dorms they would have had serious cash issues and layoffs. even with this they are barely making a go of it.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2020 09:16PM

Trotsky
To be fair to the moron students, this was completely forseeable and entirely on Cornell. They tried to finesse it, presumably for cash flow, and it's going to blow up in their face. If there was a way for the class action suits to bomb them into penury without affecting the hockey team I'd be all for it. I used to respect Cornell as the People's Ivy, but even then it was probably just a real estate and defense grant scam masquerading as a university.
Sixties still running strong in our hearts.

Except now the tees have text to explain the emoji. As the jumbotron at MSG reads CLAP CLAP CLAP to bring the fans to act up.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: September 04, 2020 03:12AM

Beeeej
Plus, I'm not sure they would've lost money if they'd gone to online-only instruction, so "cash flow" seems misplaced to me. You think they would've refunded anyone's tuition or a portion thereof?

I've read that Universities are worried about the loss of housing/dining/activities fees if instruction is all online, although I don't know if those operations make or lose money on net. I know RIT took a hit from refunding dorm fees in the Spring, but presumably part of that is that the money to open the dorms had already been spent.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: September 09, 2020 08:58PM

billhoward
Trotsky
To be fair to the moron students, this was completely forseeable and entirely on Cornell. They tried to finesse it, presumably for cash flow, and it's going to blow up in their face. If there was a way for the class action suits to bomb them into penury without affecting the hockey team I'd be all for it. I used to respect Cornell as the People's Ivy, but even then it was probably just a real estate and defense grant scam masquerading as a university.
Sixties still running strong in our hearts.

God no. Fuck the sixties. Those assholes were just camp followers who then gave us the next 40 years of crap while they refined their portfolios.

We're all going to the blade, bill. And we'll all richly deserve it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login