Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

50TH ANNIVERSARY OF LOVE STORY

Posted by Rita 
50TH ANNIVERSARY OF LOVE STORY
Posted by: Rita (---.ftmy.qwest.net)
Date: February 09, 2020 02:16AM

Select movie theaters across the country will be doing a special screening on 2/9 and 2/12. I think most of us have another matinee event that we will be seeing on 2/9/2020. However, if you are free on 2/12, go here to see where it is showing in your neighborhood:

[www.fathomevents.com]

Re: 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF LOVE STORY
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2020 05:03AM

Not on 2/14? Lame.

(I'm getting a colonoscopy this 2/14. How's that for romantic?)

Posted by: Rita (---.ftmy.qwest.net)
Date: February 09, 2020 03:39PM

Trotsky
Not on 2/14? Lame.

(I'm getting a colonoscopy this 2/14. How's that for romantic?)

I was surprised not on 2/14 as well - but since that is a friday night I'm not surprised. These special anniversary releases are limited to 1 or 2 night showing, usually on a Tuesday night. I was hoping that it would be one of the Turner Classic Movies 31 days of Oscars Movies (https://31days.tcm.com/), but no - not this year (but Bull Durham was! and so is Casablanca on 2/15).

Earlier this summer, I took my 13 year old niece to the 40th Anniversary showing of the Muppet Movie. Earlier in the year, I tried to get her to go see the Wizard of Oz, but no luck. I'm not sure I could get her to see Love Story. She is now 14th and kind of goth / moody.

I hope the colonoscopy goes well, and be careful with the "prep". My friend got kind of dehydrated and fainted the night before her colonoscopy - but was adamant that it went on as scheduled.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2020 05:42PM

When I was an undergrad and dinosaurs roamed the Earth, Olin would play it on 2/14 and the audience would walk out after the game scene.

Posted by: RichH (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 09, 2020 06:03PM

Trotsky
When I was an undergrad and dinosaurs roamed the Earth, Olin would play it on 2/14 and the audience would walk out after the game scene.

I mean...it is a great 12-minute movie.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2020 07:25PM

Rita
Trotsky

I hope the colonoscopy goes well, and be careful with the "prep". My friend got kind of dehydrated and fainted the night before her colonoscopy - but was adamant that it went on as scheduled.

After going through the prep you’ll move heaven and earth to make sure the procedure is done

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-244-97.myvzw.com)
Date: February 10, 2020 01:06PM

scoop85
Rita
Trotsky

After going through the prep you’ll move heaven and earth to make sure the procedure is done
Either you should ask for the prep I get (every three years) OR this 68 year old bag of bones has a better than average gut. Compared to a polyp growing into cancer the prep is a piece of cake.

I'm thankful for my GEist and that wonderful scope. I believe they saved my ass and the rest of me.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2020 04:16PM by marty.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 10, 2020 01:21PM

scoop85
Rita
Trotsky

After going through the prep you'll have already moved heaven and earth. moon

Posted by: Robb (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2020 10:23PM

marty
scoop85
Rita
Trotsky

Either you should ask for the prep I get (every three years) OR this 68 year old bag of bones has a better than average gut. Compared to a polyp growing into cancer the prep is a piece of cake.

I'm thankful for my GEist and that wonderful scope. I believe they saved my ass and the rest of me.
You have a Cornellian to thank for the scope - Richard Newman '68 received the ASME Holley Medal for an "achievement...of such public importance as to be worthy of the gratitude of the nation and to call forth the admiration of engineers," for his work on early true-color video endoscopes with the Welch Allyn company of Skaneateles. Other recipients include schleps like Henry Ford, William Shockley, and Charles Draper - pretty heady company.

Way to go, Uncle Rich! :)

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-220-0.myvzw.com)
Date: February 11, 2020 08:54AM

Robb
marty
scoop85
Rita
Trotsky

You have a Cornellian to thank for the scope - Richard Newman '68 received the ASME Holley Medal for an "achievement...of such public importance as to be worthy of the gratitude of the nation and to call forth the admiration of engineers," for his work on early true-color video endoscopes with the Welch Allyn company of Skaneateles. Other recipients include schleps like Henry Ford, William Shockley, and Charles Draper - pretty heady company.

Way to go, Uncle Rich! :)

Yes, thank you again. When we were kids in the 60's the rigid scope did one third of the job of looking for bad stuff. Looking but not cutting, etc.

My GEist knew my personality well enough that he woke me so that I could enjoy the clipping of my first polyp. Great show.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2020 06:27PM

Different docs and different patients get different stuff to drink. Some of it has gotten to where the Gatorade you mix it into is the more noticeable taste. And the propofol that puts you down is first-rate for the, what, 10 seconds you're in limbo between awake and gone. One can see why Michael Jackson wanted unlimited access.

Jeez, we turn a thread on Love Story into a screed on middle- and old-age medical procedures. There are younger readers searching now for an OK, BOOMER emoticon.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2020 06:33PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 13, 2020 09:47PM

billhoward
Different docs and different patients get different stuff to drink. Some of it has gotten to where the Gatorade you mix it into is the more noticeable taste. And the propofol that puts you down is first-rate for the, what, 10 seconds you're in limbo between awake and gone. One can see why Michael Jackson wanted unlimited access.

Jeez, we turn a thread on Love Story into a screed on middle- and old-age medical procedures. There are younger readers searching now for an OK, BOOMER emoticon.

This one will do...wank

And FWIW, I got to "Ooh, it does burn" before I woke up back in my cubicle.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2020 10:49AM

Gwen and I watched it for Valentine's Day along with the not-Harvard Cornell hockey game. Hard to believe it got 7 Oscar nominations including for best actor and actress. Hard to believe so many "good" movies were so bad 2 generations ago. But then this was the same decade that gave us the majesty of The Godfather, Blazing Saddles, and the greatest documentary, Animal House. All things pass and Ryan O'Neal is now 78, Ali MacGraw (Wellesley '60) is 80.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2020 10:28AM

It's treacle. It always was. Those movies do great at the time but in retrospect, ugh. People will not watch Titanic in another decade except to laugh at it. All of Tom Hanks has a 2 generation shelf life.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2020 10:30AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2020 02:45PM

Trotsky
It's treacle. It always was. Those movies do great at the time but in retrospect, ugh. People will not watch Titanic in another decade except to laugh at it. All of Tom Hanks has a 2 generation shelf life.

Another movie from that era that I thought was great but stunk upon re-watch about a year ago is the Paper Chase.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: February 19, 2020 07:12AM

i liked the show much more than the movie.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2020 12:09PM

upprdeck

agreed

Date: February 19, 2020 01:29PM

scoop85
Another movie from that era that I thought was great but stunk upon re-watch about a year ago is the Paper Chase.
Yes.

Date: February 19, 2020 01:30PM

upprdeck
I hated that they gave Kingsfield a heart. That was as bad as making Frank sympathetic on MASH.

Keep my fucking archetypes pure, you barbarians!

Date: February 19, 2020 01:31PM

scoop85
Trotsky

Another one, and this is heresy, is Rosemary's Bâby. Man has that not aged well, although this can be said about pretty much every Mia Farrow movie.

It was a bad time for movies. Like now. These hemlines rise and fall.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2020 01:32PM by Trotsky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login