Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell alumni email forwarding

Posted by jtwcornell91 
Cornell alumni email forwarding
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: August 07, 2019 04:58PM

Just got an email entitled "Upcoming changes for your Cornell email address". It turns out the current changes don't apply to me because I get my Cornell email forwarded to a different account, but the email also includes this warning:

We suggest moving your forwarding setting to Google, since Cornell's system
for forwarding email to outside accounts will eventually be turned off.
(You'll receive a notification and reminders before this happens.)
This a terrible prospect, since gmail is the one service from which I can't automatically forward my email somewhere else, so I hardly ever read my google emails. Obviously what they'd like you to do is forward everything to gmail, but it seems very inappropriate for Cornell to be collaborating in that endeavor, to the detriment of its own alumni.

Just in case anyone else wants to complain.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: Cornell alumni email forwarding
Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2019 07:13AM

I believe they are moving their mail hosting to Gmail and are just asking you to log in to the Cornell Gmail account to set your forwarding address. You should be able to forward to any email you want.

Posted by: RichH (104.194.218.---)
Date: August 08, 2019 07:16PM

jtwcornell91
This a terrible prospect, since gmail is the one service from which I can't automatically forward my email somewhere else, so I hardly ever read my google emails. Obviously what they'd like you to do is forward everything to gmail, but it seems very inappropriate for Cornell to be collaborating in that endeavor, to the detriment of its own alumni.

Why not? There's a help article with the title "Automatically forward Gmail messages to another account"

All I had to do to connect my login credentials with the G Suite interface is change my netID password on the CIT site. It turns out I've had the same netID password since 1995. :-O (Best practices, yada yada.) The forwarding to my personal email is already loaded in the Gmail settings, with a really long @alr.mail.cornell.edu alias. You can keep it for now, or change it to something else, which is what the recent notice suggests since this alias forwarding will end at some point.

Yes, privacy-wise, Google is one of the worst companies to trust, but there are more important battles to wage than to think about if pleas from Andy Noel to help meet their fundraising goals will be fine going into the Infosphere.

Anyway, I just started dealing with this yesterday with this notification. I'd like to make changes, since the alumni email forwarding has been sloppy at best over the past few years (often throwing up security or spam alerts). Now that it will be going through Google rather than CU's servers, I think it will be better, or at least easier to control myself. I have filters so all of my cornell.edu email goes into a separate mailbox, and now I've let that pile up over 2+ years. panic I'm trying to come up with the best way for me to more regularly keep an eye on and cull this account.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 07:28PM by RichH.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: August 23, 2019 05:15AM

RichH
jtwcornell91

Why not? There's a help article with the title "Automatically forward Gmail messages to another account"

I did not know about that, thanks. How long has this been an option? I could have sworn I tried to set it up once and learned it was impossible.

Now I can go back to just being mad at gmail for wrecking the ASCII message-quoting convention that had worked just fine since at least 1990.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: August 23, 2019 08:15AM

Do we have to worry about this and do something or can we ignore it?

Asking for everybody.

Posted by: RichH (104.194.218.---)
Date: September 02, 2019 11:00PM

Trotsky

Asking for everybody.

For now, yes, you can ignore it. Everything will continue to work as it has been recently. It sounds like at some point, the school-controlled email forwarding will be shut down and we will have to worry about it.

Just the act of logging into the GSuite (essentially a Gmail account for your @cornell.edu address) lets you control everything about it: most notably things like forwarding, filters, deletion/archiving, and spam management.

Posted by: RichH (104.194.220.---)
Date: November 13, 2019 01:33PM

RichH
Trotsky

Asking for everybody.

For now, yes, you can ignore it. Everything will continue to work as it has been recently. It sounds like at some point, the school-controlled email forwarding will be shut down and we will have to worry about it.

Just the act of logging into the GSuite (essentially a Gmail account for your @cornell.edu address) lets you control everything about it: most notably things like forwarding, filters, deletion/archiving, and spam management.

Another email just went out with more details, and you will need to take action in the next 6 months. The old CU email forwarding mechanism will be shut down in the summer of 2020. All you have to do by then is sign into the Cornell Gmail site (gsuite.cornell.edu) and enter your forwarding preferences, described here.

Here's what today's email says:

Edit, there are multiple versions of the email, depending on your prior (in)actions.
[it.cornell.edu]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2019 01:41PM by RichH.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login