Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Self-promotion - podcast stuff

Posted by ugarte 
Self-promotion - podcast stuff
Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: October 03, 2017 02:12PM

Gone are the days when I would talk about standup shows to people that would ignore them because they either didn't live in New York or properly understood the depressing nature of free comedy shows in a bar basement. Here are the days when you can listen to me rant about law and politics and culture from the comfort of your own home or commute or office.

I'm a recurring guest on Jeb Lund's podcast, This Week in Atrocity, which you can find on Soundcloud or iTunes (and probably other places? libsyn podbay).

The show is good even when I'm not on but I wouldn't post this stuff if I weren't proud of it.

My episodes (soundcloud links):

18: Discussion of Russia-paranoia-fantasia on the left, the Voting Rights Act, particularly the NC redistricting case, and some Trump ephemera.

21: A lot about Wisconsin, from the Brendan Dassey (Making a Murderer teen) appeal to the partisan gerrymandering case SCOTUS heard oral argument on today, to the guy running against Paul Ryan, with some other SCOTUS ephemera.

24: Three funny guys watch and rip apart The Horse Whisperer.

26: A week in review from a few weeks ago, covering the confederate statue protests to internecine fighting on the left to deregulation.

Another week in review episode is set to drop soon.

I don't think my politics will come as a surprise. How nasal my voice is certainly may.

Re: Self-promotion - podcast stuff
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: October 06, 2017 10:50AM

ugarte
I don't think my politics will come as a surprise. How nasal my voice is certainly may.

I saw this morning that you've been nominated for a Webby for your pronunciation of "certiorari" alone.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: October 10, 2017 02:34PM

This new episode took longer than expected to edit due to hurricanes and such but it's live now.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: October 31, 2017 03:36PM

New episode. If you want a frantic rundown of the Manafort/Papadopolous stuff, that's the first 7 minutes.

Date: November 17, 2017 12:21PM

a little insulted that even the spambots ignore this thread but all the same...

we cover the court's voiding of Trump's military trans ban, asset forfeiture, jared fogle's weird not-quite-a-sovcit filing and the Lionel Hutz representing Roy Moore

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 18, 2018 08:10PM

I've started a new law podcast with some friends, called Mic Dicta. It's available on iTunes and you can also get it here on Soundcloud. It's pretty good even as we work the kinks out. [soundcloud.com] We've got 4 episodes up.

I also did another epsiode of This Week in Atrocity, where I talk about Roy Moore, the Zarate trial, the attempted military trans ban, and other things. Really good stuff in here too, though I should have posted sooner. [soundcloud.com]

Date: January 29, 2018 09:08PM

Episode 5 of Mic Dicta: we cover recent death penalty cases (Hidalgo and Tharpe) and the partisan gerrymandering cases, as well as Milo's suit against Simon & Schuster over his canceled book deal. [soundcloud.com]

Date: March 12, 2018 01:28PM

So we're up to episode 9 on Mic Dicta, and it remains good and it's getting recognized more and more [soundcloud.com]

Also, I went back to week in atrocity [soundcloud.com]

both are available on itunes and i can get the rss on request.

Date: May 15, 2018 01:17PM

We're up to Episode 14 on Mic Dicta, and it's actually doing very well.

I also did a guest spot on a podcast where we give a far-too-close reading to a Hallmark Channel movie mystery.

And finally, Deadspin asked me to write about yesterday's New Jersey sports betting decision by SCOTUS.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2018 09:50PM

ugarte
We're up to Episode 14 on Mic Dicta, and it's actually doing very well.

I also did a guest spot on a podcast where we give a far-too-close reading to a Hallmark Channel movie mystery.

And finally, Deadspin asked me to write about yesterday's New Jersey sports betting decision by SCOTUS.

The Deadspin article is terrific.

Date: May 15, 2018 11:23PM

thanks scoop

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2018 11:44AM

ugarte
thanks scoop

You're welcome. As a fellow attorney I appreciated how clearly you were able to break down the key holdings in the decision in easy to understand (and quite humorous) terms.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: May 16, 2018 11:47AM

scoop85
ugarte
thanks scoop

You're welcome. As a fellow attorney I appreciated how clearly you were able to break down the key holdings in the decision in easy to understand (and quite humorous) terms.

Agreed. For those who haven't yet read it, I highly recommend it for both the clarity and the snark.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: May 22, 2018 05:51PM

One more freelance writing thing, this time for Vice, on the fight over Michael Avenatti's pro hac vice motion to appear in the Michael Cohen search warrant litigation.

Date: July 02, 2018 05:38PM

Some updates. I did another freelance piece for Vice, this time on the legacy of Justice Kennedy.

and we got a really good review from The Crossfader, which I assume is bigger than Life Magazine in the 50's.

Episode 17 coming soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2018 05:39PM by ugarte.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 02, 2018 08:06PM

ugarte
Some updates. I did another freelance piece for Vice, this time on the legacy of Justice Kennedy.

and we got a really good review from The Crossfader, which I assume is bigger than Life Magazine in the 50's.

Episode 17 coming soon.

Bigger than Time and Newsweek (combined) circa 2018.

Date: July 03, 2018 12:50PM

ugarte

Episode 17 coming soon.
Update: Episode 17 here. SCOTUS end of term recap and a lot of making fun of Jordan Peterson's terrible lawsuit against Wilfrid Laurier.

Date: January 18, 2019 03:01PM

Well, the podcast is dead but at least I'm being asked to write sometimes. Slate asked me to turn some tweets about the McDonald's trademark cancellation into a story, so I did.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2019 03:55PM

ugarte
Well, the podcast is dead but at least I'm being asked to write sometimes. Slate asked me to turn some tweets about the McDonald's trademark cancellation into a story, so I did.

And people may wonder why lawyers have such high incidences of drug and alcohol abuse, as well as suicide.

Date: January 18, 2019 05:05PM

scoop85
ugarte

And people may wonder why lawyers have such high incidences of drug and alcohol abuse, as well as suicide.
I don't think anyone wonders. They mostly don't even object.

Date: January 19, 2019 09:13AM

ugarte

Can Charlie the Tuna be far behind?

Date: April 12, 2019 02:39PM

got asked to write about avenatti [theconcourse.deadspin.com]

(fixed link. thanks beeeej.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2019 03:38PM by ugarte.

Date: April 15, 2019 11:20AM

ugarte
got asked to write about avenatti [theconcourse.deadspin.com]

(fixed link. thanks beeeej.)
also talked about it on a podcast, but first you have to listen to me get angry about Gorsuch and the death penalty [soundcloud.com]

Date: October 21, 2019 12:16PM

New show, especially but not exclusively for lawyers. [www.caveat.nyc]

It will be good.

Posted by: RichH (104.37.31.---)
Date: October 22, 2019 07:01PM

ugarte

It will be good.

Will there be jokes?

Date: October 23, 2019 02:05PM

RichH
ugarte

It will be good.

Will there be jokes?
i mean, yeah.

Posted by: marty (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2019 02:46PM

ugarte
RichH
ugarte

It will be good.

Will there be jokes?
i mean, yeah.

Will there be lawyer jokes?

Date: October 23, 2019 03:03PM

marty
ugarte
RichH
ugarte

It will be good.

Will there be jokes?
i mean, yeah.

Will there be lawyer jokes?
not in the sense that you mean them

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 31, 2019 05:21PM

RichH
ugarte
It will be good.
Will there be jokes?
Intentionally?

Date: November 26, 2019 03:01PM

ugarte

It will be good.
A second show is on Saturday. It will also be good, and it is about sports law. Specifically, what happens if Olympic-hopeful wrestlers actually sue to get their match results overturned. It has happened surprisingly often. [www.caveat.nyc]

You can read more about what I'm going for here: [news.bloomberglaw.com]

Date: November 26, 2019 08:45PM

ugarte
ugarte

It will be good.
A second show is on Saturday. It will also be good, and it is about sports law. Specifically, what happens if Olympic-hopeful wrestlers actually sue to get their match results overturned. It has happened surprisingly often. [www.caveat.nyc]

Great news. Cornell can look forward to suing over the results of the 2003 semi vs UNH.

Posted by: RichH (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 27, 2019 01:07AM

ugarte
ugarte

It will be good.

Good thing nothing else is happening in New York City that day.

Date: December 18, 2019 10:11PM

Date: March 11, 2020 10:43PM

I finally started a new law podcast, Hostile Witness. The first episode is about Hernandez v Mesa (a Supreme Court case you may have heard about where the court held 5-4 that the family of a Mexican teenager that a border patrol officer shot and killed had no cause of action because the kid was on the other side of the Mexican border) and the rash of dumb defamation suits being filed by famous people. Subscribe and share!

Date: March 24, 2020 11:48AM

ugarte
I finally started a new law podcast, Hostile Witness. The first episode is about Hernandez v Mesa (a Supreme Court case you may have heard about where the court held 5-4 that the family of a Mexican teenager that a border patrol officer shot and killed had no cause of action because the kid was on the other side of the Mexican border) and the rash of dumb defamation suits being filed by famous people. Subscribe and share!
Episode 2, on the 5th Circuit and it's antagonism of gay and trans litigants. [soundcloud.com]

Date: October 15, 2021 08:24PM

Been a while since I've posted so here is some stuff I've done:

Hostile Witness has three more episodes. The last of them I'm particularly proud of; I interview Professor Jessica Clarke of Vanderbilt Law and Ezra Young '09, who is now a visiting professor at Cornell Law about Bostock v Clayton County (applying Title VII to trans and gay litigants).

I am now also a member of ALAB Series, another law podcast. On the last episode we talk about the Michigan sanctions decision from the Kraken election litigation. Another one will come out soon, covering the collapse of Ozy Media.

I was a guest on Fangraphs' Chin Music podcast with Ken Goldstein to talk about baseball's antitrust exemption.

On the Batting Around podcast I talked about baseball but not antitrust.

On the No Cartridge/Patch Notes podcast I talk about antitrust but not baseball (Epic v. Apple).

Finally, I was on Probably Science with comedians Andy Wood '99, Matt Kirshen and Jesse Case to talk about weird science news.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2021 08:25PM by ugarte.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 28, 2022 05:54PM

After being on hiatus for almost two years, I put out another episode of Hostile Witness. Episode 6 covers the 5th Circuit decision that held that SEC enforcement hearings violated the right to a jury trial, a statutory interpretation case that is very bad for immigrants seeking citizenship and a campaign finance case that legalized bribery (even more).

I also appear most Thursdays at 1-ish on Anthony Atamanuik's Twitch stream to talk about legal issues. You may know Tony from The President Show on Comedy Central, where he did the quality Trump impression that Alec Baldwin could not. (JAJ on SNL is also great.)

And ALAB should be back soon.

Date: August 12, 2022 04:00PM

I think this podcast, where I write a song with the host in 30 minutes, is some of my finest work. Really funny from process to product. Fast Track with Howell Dawdy

I was also on Batting Around to talk about the Pirates last month:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2022 04:03PM by ugarte.

Date: September 29, 2022 03:28PM

Lot going on!

A two-part Hostile Witness podcast about the Mar-a-Lago search and the Special Master litigation: Part 1 Part 2

A new episode of ALAB Series regarding Florida's felon disenfranchisement law.

thanks etc.

Date: October 25, 2022 12:24AM

Another ALAB, the first in a series we're going to do about Alex Jones and the Sandy Hook litigation. This episode is about his formative years, early career and other litigation trouble. [soundcloud.com]

Date: December 13, 2022 04:53PM

Couple of things.

First, ALAB Series was named to a best of '22 list by Slate, as was the Hallmark movie podcast I appear on from time to time.

Second, I was on an episode of Soundtracker to talk about B*A*P*S.

Third, I've collected all of my various guest spots and podcast projects and writing under one link.

Happy holidays in advance, everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2022 04:54PM by ugarte.

Date: September 22, 2023 05:18PM

The one link to rule them all is still good, but for specifics,

Hostile Witness is now the home to the City Saint & Country Saint football podcast, where my friend and I have guests to talk about New Orleans Saints football. Look for Hostile Witness wherever you get your podcasts.

I was also a guest on Soundtracker, talking about The Nice Guys. There are a lot of other appearances there too - Batting Around (baseball), Street Fight (work and how it sucks), Fast Track (wrote a love song)... good stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login