Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Finally a sellout at Germain Arena (Fla)

Posted by billhoward 
Finally a sellout at Germain Arena (Fla)
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 09, 2017 06:41PM

The Florida Hockey Classic that Cornell participated in is gone from Germain Arena in Estero, Fla. (west coast, north of Naples, south of Sarasota / Tampa) because of slipping attendance. It's doing good business this week, as a Hurricane Irma shelter. The arena has 3 rinks plus concourse space. Thousands flock to Germain Arena, SWFL's largest hurricane shelter

If people need the shelter for more than a week, the arena's Hot Tub & Swim Spa Expo may be in jeopardy.

Re: Finally a sellout at Germain Arena (Fla)
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2017 08:05PM

The whole shelter situation in florida is horrible. it was announced on friday night that Germain would open at 10 am. people started lining up (and parked their cars on the sidewalks) until they could be let in the building.
Shelters are full and turning away people to another shelter. They increased the evac zones this morning and the counties have had to open more shelters. people waiting 6 hrs in line to get inside - they hope.

with 2 dogs we are sheltering in place. my parents rode out Charlie here. we are 2nd floor with access to a third floor condo unit if needed. This is scarier than any blizzard I experienced. We still have power - the brunt of it will be all day sunday.

Since early week predictions had miami and the east coast as the main target many on the east coast headed north, then the models and irma tracked for the west coast. I heard you have to go to georgia to get a hotel room and I-75 north of tampa has been gridlocked most of the week.

Keep Florida in your thoughts.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 09, 2017 08:55PM

My best wishes to you. Good luck.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.37.26.69.virtela.net)
Date: September 13, 2017 04:51PM

I hope you made it OK, Rita.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2017 10:47PM

Hi everyone.

yes, I made it okay and my family has fared well. We got power back very quickly (my brother and his family still do not have power and have moved in here with their kids and puggies) and today finally got back internet and cable. But our homes are safe and no major damage.

My dog Eden who has very bad separation anxiety was wonderful. this sums it up: You (rita) leave, the world will end. If the world is coming to an end i'll be fine if you (rita) are here. We spent 90 minutes in the bathroom while the eye passed over us and she worked on her food stuffed kong and took no notice of the howling winds.

Irma made landfall on Marco Island and along with Naples/Collier county and the regions by the everglades things are bad. Power has been very slow to come back and all utilities including water treatment plants are affected. It could have been much worse if she hugged the SWFL coast (and kept the eye over water) like it was predicted

We were stocked with food and gas and didn't have to venture out until later in the week when many of the uprooted trees and downed branches had been removed from the roadways. There is a part of Bonita Springs (right around exit 116 off of I-75) that still had significant flooding as of last sunday - water still on the roadways.

The lower keys have been devastated. the Caribbean/Virgin islands and Puerto Rico are being pummelled for a 3rd time. Scary times that we live in - scary times. If it isn't hot-headed world leaders it is mother nature.

Thank you all for the good thoughts. There are many people/places that need them.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2017 11:51AM

It is amazing that in a state of 20 million, there have been fewer than 50 deaths, the largest number being from carbon monoxide from portable generators in the aftermath. Good that you're in one piece. Makes me think that if we move to the Florida coast, or any coast, we might be better off as renters.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login