Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Yet another collegetown bar bites the dust

Posted by Ben Rocky '04 
Page:  1 234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Yet another collegetown bar bites the dust
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.ngpsoftware.com)
Date: December 31, 2015 02:06PM

Sadness.
[cornellsun.com]

Not gonna miss the bathrooms though.....

Re: Yet another collegetown bar bites the dust
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 31, 2015 02:22PM

I had no idea Dunbar's had only been open for 2 years when I first stumbled in there in 1981. I assumed it had been there since the 60s.

It is comforting, however, to know it looked like a shithole right from the beginning.

Farewell, youth.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2015 02:24PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: gonyr (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 31, 2015 03:29PM

And there goes the one of the last reasons to go to Collegetown. How long does Rulloff's have left?

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 31, 2015 03:31PM

Trotsky
I had no idea Dunbar's had only been open for 2 years when I first stumbled in there in 1981. I assumed it had been there since the 60s.

It is comforting, however, to know it looked like a shithole right from the beginning.

Farewell, youth.

I too arrived in 1981, and likewise had assumed Dunbars had been around for years. It may have always looked like a shithole, but it was our shithole.

Date: December 31, 2015 03:42PM

scoop85
Trotsky

Farewell, youth.

I too arrived in 1981, and likewise had assumed Dunbars had been around for years. It may have always looked like a shithole, but it was our shithole.

Hopefully the very last song on the very last night was "American Pie," split awkwardly across two recordings.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.129.41.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: December 31, 2015 08:39PM

The bar was on the site for a while before Pep bought it and renamed it Dunbar's. When I arrived on campus it was called The Gin Mill. Before that it was called Maury's.

Pep and Lee bought it in '79 and changed the name to Dunbar's in 1980. It was named after Pep's dog. That's the date the article refers to.

It breaks my heart. I loved that place.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2016 03:28PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.ngpsoftware.com)
Date: January 05, 2016 10:13AM

Rulloffs closed in late 2014, and then reopened in 2015.
[dining.14850.com]

Date: January 05, 2016 10:16AM

Ben Rocky '04
[dining.14850.com]
Food writers should be stabbed in the face.

Were there any significant changes to Rulloff's structurally?

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: January 05, 2016 04:13PM

Trotsky
Ben Rocky '04
[dining.14850.com]

Please check the byline on that article and report back, Greg.

Date: January 05, 2016 04:17PM

ugarte
Trotsky
Ben Rocky '04
[dining.14850.com]

Please check the byline on that article and report back, Greg.
Well, food writers except for Mark should be stabbed in the face...

Posted by: RatushnyFan (74.118.217.---)
Date: January 05, 2016 04:28PM

RIP Dunbars. I knew ye well.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: January 05, 2016 04:28PM

Trotsky

I stopped in shortly after the re-open last winter, and while I didn't go to the downstairs seating area, it sure looked the same to me. A little cleaned up and polished, too.

Date: January 05, 2016 04:32PM

I posted a list in another thread, and present it, updated as best as I know:

Current Collegetown spots with a bar:
Collegetown Bagels
Resurrected Rulloff's
The Nines
Level B
Jack's Grill
Loco Cantina

RIP:
Palms
Dino's
Johnny's
Johnny O's
The Chariot
The Connection/Bear Den (College Ave)
Little Joe's
Pixel
Stella's
Chapter House*
Dunbar's

*Shall Rise Again from the ashes.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2016 06:20PM

RichH

Some part of me hopes that the closing of Dunbar's will speed this process along a bit.

(Never much of a Dunbar's guy, but I did have the worst shot of my life there… so that's something.)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2016 07:57PM

Scersk '97
RichH

Some part of me hopes that the closing of Dunbar's will speed this process along a bit.

(Never much of a Dunbar's guy, but I did have the worst shot of my life there… so that's something.)
Worst shot of my life was at The Connection. Best popcorn I've ever had was there, too.

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2016 08:42PM

Scersk '97
RichH

What was the name of that shot? Salsa by any chance?

Date: January 07, 2016 05:19PM

toddlose
Scersk '97
RichH

I'll give you an acronym: FLDA. The D was Worcestershire sauce, I believe. Casting about the internets for a recipe, I'm pretty sure the ringleader of this foolish shot drinking business just added that in for good measure.

Date: January 07, 2016 05:21PM

Trotsky
Scersk '97
RichH

Worst shot of my life was at The Connection. Best popcorn I've ever had was there, too.

Ah, The Connection! Which was open, strangely, once my senior year, that I'm aware of. Seeing those lights on was like sighting the Flying Dutchman.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2016 05:21PM by Scersk '97.

Date: January 07, 2016 06:45PM

Scersk '97
toddlose
Scersk '97
RichH

I'll give you an acronym: FLDA. The D was Worcestershire sauce, I believe. Casting about the internets for a recipe, I'm pretty sure the ringleader of this foolish shot drinking business just added that in for good measure.

The bartender sent me across the street to the Universal Deli to buy Worcestershire sauce specifically for this terrible idea.

Date: January 07, 2016 07:35PM

RichH
Scersk '97
toddlose
Scersk '97
RichH

The bartender sent me across the street to the Universal Deli to buy Worcestershire sauce specifically for this terrible idea.

Not the shot that I got accustomed too. The shot I'm thinking of is bacardi 151, tequila and tobacco sauce. Just thinking about the taste (and smell) turns my stomach to this day.

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2016 03:10AM

toddlose
RichH
Scersk '97
toddlose
Scersk '97
RichH

Not the shot that I got accustomed too. The shot I'm thinking of is bacardi 151, tequila and tobacco sauce. Just thinking about the taste (and smell) turns my stomach to this day.
Tobacco sauce? That really sounds awful!

Date: January 08, 2016 06:52AM

Guess I should have checked my reply before posting. Haha. For the record, it was tobasco sauce. It was bad.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2016 03:25PM

I stopped in at Dunbar's after lunch in C-town this afternoon. Lee was there doing a little bit of shutdown work,

There's not a lot left. A few ceiling tiles, the bar and the booths along the north wall, and a couple of cheap beer signs nailed to the walls. He mentioned they have a couple of signed hockey sweaters (one from Mike Richter) that they're willing to sell, but pretty much everything worth having is gone.

Lee told me that it came down to a landlord who made things difficult for them (he actually had some choice words to describe her). It just became too stressful for Pep to keep the place open. It started affecting his health (he's in Florida R&R-ing for the next couple months). And given what they're building in place of the Palms - another 6 story apartment block - it wouldn't surprise me if the whole goal was to shut them down so she could build something big and gaudy in it's place.

Damn shame. :`-(
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2016 07:31PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (74.118.217.---)
Date: January 14, 2016 02:23PM

Too many prairie fires at Dunbar's.....tequila and Tabasco sauce. The boys used to buy them for me and dare me to drink them. I usually did. I think my stomach still has a lining but I'm not sure.

New bar in Dunbar's location
Posted by: David Harding (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 07, 2016 07:54PM

Cornell Sun reports that a new bar, Hideaway, will open in Dunbar's old location "before the fall semester." They're writing the name using Greek letters that look like Roman letters, starting with a capital eta for the "H". I remember the location as home of Morrie's.

Re: New bar in Dunbar's location
Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: August 08, 2016 11:43AM

David Harding
Cornell Sun reports that a new bar, Hideaway, will open in Dunbar's old location "before the fall semester." They're writing the name using Greek letters that look like Roman letters, starting with a capital eta for the "H". I remember the location as home of Morrie's.

Regarding that old Sun article, that's quite the waggish caption to a photo with violent undertones.

Re: New bar in Dunbar's location
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.cws.sco.cisco.com)
Date: August 08, 2016 04:51PM

David Harding

When I arrived on Campus (1978) it had already changed to The Gin Mill. Pep and Lee bought it in late '79 or early '80 and changed the name to Dunbar's in the fall of '80.

Rongo for sale
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2016 09:08PM

It's not Collegetown and it's not closing, but Rogo is up for sale in an attempt to attract a new chef by offering part ownership. [ithacavoice.com]

Hal's Deli closing
Date: March 11, 2017 12:26PM

Not in Collegetown and not a bar, but this is a reasonable place to mention Hal's Deli closing.

Re: Hal's Deli closing
Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2017 02:17PM

David Harding
Not in Collegetown and not a bar, but this is a reasonable place to mention Hal's Deli closing.

I certainly remember Hal's Deli and of course Hal, who was a fixture at Cornell basketball games in Barton Hall. His son, Mike who's pictured, was a ballboy for Sam MacNeil's team.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: April 26, 2017 11:24AM

George64
David Harding

I certainly remember Hal's Deli and of course Hal, who was a fixture at Cornell basketball games in Barton Hall. His son, Mike who's pictured, was a ballboy for Sam MacNeil's team.

My friends and I agreed Hal's had the fastest delivery. They once got us our food in 7 minutes, and we lived a couple miles away.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.108.---)
Date: April 26, 2017 01:16PM

Which bars still exist in collegetown?

Date: April 26, 2017 02:06PM

CU2007
Which bars still exist in collegetown?

From this very thread, which to the best of my knowledge is accurate. (Added Dunbar's replacement, Hideaway):

Collegetown Bagels
Resurrected Rulloff's
The Nines
Level B
Jack's Grill
Loco Cantina
Hideaway

RIP:
Palms
Dino's
Johnny's
Johnny O's
The Chariot
Little Joe's
Pixel
Stella's
Chapter House*
Dunbar's

Date: April 26, 2017 02:59PM

Well clearly kids have stopped drinking...

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 28, 2017 02:44PM

David Harding
Sad to see Hal's close. But ... Our fraternity at reunion three years ago (or was it eight?) went there Sunday morning for brunch. The place was a little dimmer and grayer than we remembered from undergrad years. One spouse used the ladies room and said that'd be the last time she did that. Once, Hal's was about the only place to get a good bagel. Hal's did not adapt to the rising competition or quickly branch to meet customer interests such as coffees beyond regular and decaf. Recalls the line from Inherit the Wind: Sometimes you can change by standing still. I feel disloyal saying that. If you haven't gone back, just hang on to your memories from the 80s.

Posted by: Robb (---.host.ucla.edu)
Date: April 29, 2017 08:24PM

Trotsky
Nah. Just no difference between drinking at home vs. a bar when you're just staring into your phone either way.

Date: April 30, 2017 08:43PM

Robb
Trotsky
Nah. Just no difference between drinking at home vs. a bar when you're just staring into your phone either way.
Maybe the phone in public is a way to look busy not alone, the way you could fiddle with a cigarette a generation ago.

Date: July 06, 2017 10:21PM

Image credit to Corey Ryan Earle '07

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2017 11:22AM

George64

I was going to say "What, the Chariot doesn't make the list?" but I then I remembered it's been closed for over a decade. uhoh

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 19, 2017 09:47PM

jtwcornell91
George64

I was going to say "What, the Chariot doesn't make the list?" but I then I remembered it's been closed for over a decade. uhoh
That was the beginning of the deep rot.

Re: Yet another collegetown bar bites the dust - best US college bars
Date: July 21, 2017 09:54AM

[www.msn.com] Clickbait, "The 51 Best College Bars in America." Cornell not among the winners. Apparently no other Ivy schools either. Checked by googling the story title and each school name one at a time. Otherwise you click through fifty-some screens.

Re: Yet another collegetown bar bites the dust - best US college bars
Date: July 21, 2017 01:53PM

Actually clicking through 50+ screens didn't take long and yielded better results: 21 Harvard, 32 Dartmouth and 41 Brown. Links provided for non-retirees who should be working.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2017 04:53PM

And while the Dutch Goose is a nice place to grab burgers and beer and watch Stanford beat USC at The Coliseum, it's not really a bar in the classic sense (more of a bar and grill) and it's more of a local place that college students happen to go to occasionally rather than a student place.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.64.---)
Date: August 10, 2017 08:52PM

French Rage
And while the Dutch Goose is a nice place to grab burgers and beer and watch Stanford beat USC at The Coliseum, it's not really a bar in the classic sense (more of a bar and grill) and it's more of a local place that college students happen to go to occasionally rather than a student place.

The Dutch Goose is clearly deserving, if only because of the deviled eggs...

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: September 11, 2017 10:36AM

Is the Nines the next to go? I saw links on Ithaca Voice about a project to replace the building with a 6 story apt. building..

Date: September 11, 2017 11:24AM

upprdeck
Is the Nines the next to go? I saw links on Ithaca Voice about a project to replace the building with a 6 story apt. building..

Story here: [ithacavoice.com]

Rather than management retirement, poor business, or a fire, this is just out-and-out landlord greed and thirst to milk the "luxury highrise" market dry. Nevermind the views of the surrounding hills, soon you'll barely be able to get daylight on College Ave or Dryden Rd with the canyon that's slowly being pieced together.

Date: September 11, 2017 03:57PM

one would wonder if the nines would come back to life in another location of the many places in college town that are long gone. its has a loyal following.

Date: September 12, 2017 09:36AM

upprdeck
one would wonder if the nines would come back to life in another location of the many places in college town that are long gone. its has a loyal following.
Nines is running out of competitors to be loyal to.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.37.26.69.virtela.net)
Date: September 13, 2017 04:59PM

RichH
upprdeck

Rather than management retirement, poor business, or a fire, this is just out-and-out landlord greed and thirst to milk the "luxury highrise" market dry. Nevermind the views of the surrounding hills, soon you'll barely be able to get daylight on College Ave or Dryden Rd with the canyon that's slowly being pieced together.

Frankly, that was a similar reason to Dunbar's closing, too. The landlord just made life unbearable because she wanted to do something else with the space.

Date: September 14, 2017 11:17AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
RichH
upprdeck

Frankly, that was a similar reason to Dunbar's closing, too. The landlord just made life unbearable because she wanted to do something else with the space.

Something else, like another bar?? My memory (2nd hand) is that Pep just wanted to move south and he gave several years notice that he was looking for a buyer.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.37.26.69.virtela.net)
Date: September 14, 2017 11:49AM

RichH
Jeff Hopkins '82
RichH
upprdeck

Something else, like another bar?? My memory (2nd hand) is that Pep just wanted to move south and he gave several years notice that he was looking for a buyer.

According to Lee, Pep wanted to get out mainly because running the bar became too stressful thanks to demands from the landlord. They felt she was trying to force them out. What those demands were, he wasn't specific about. But it was clear to me that he felt they would have kept the bar open if not for the landlord.

Date: October 20, 2017 11:43PM

billhoward
upprdeck
Ithaca Voice reports on latest news about The Nines.

Date: October 30, 2017 04:08PM

wonder if the owner sells out or stay the course for awhile..

Date: November 02, 2017 11:55PM

Not a bar, but a pending replacement in Collegetown has taken a step forward. [ithacavoice.com]

Date: December 02, 2017 08:26PM

David Harding
billhoward
upprdeck
Another concept in the Nines replacement story.

Date: December 18, 2017 12:10PM

David Harding
David Harding
billhoward
upprdeck

I see nothing in that article about corn nuggets. :-(

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 18, 2017 07:35PM

VP Market Development
Our goal is to approach redevelopment of 311 College with sensitivity to its context.
<gag> The context is Collegetown used to be a dump housing poor students en route to a comfortable life. Now the comfortable life starts sophomore year. If you can afford $2,000 for a one-bedroom in a new building.

Date: February 12, 2018 10:05PM

David Harding
David Harding
billhoward
upprdeck
Still another installment in the Nines building saga from [ithacavoice.com].

Nines
Date: April 07, 2018 01:54PM

David Harding
David Harding
David Harding
billhoward
upprdeck
Still another installment in the Nines building saga from [ithacavoice.com].

The end is nigh. Ithaca.com: Farewell concert at The Nines features local bands
Event poster

More turnover
Date: May 03, 2018 12:42AM

Not bars, but both Collegetown Pizza and Dunkin Donuts have closed abruptly. [cornellsun.com]

Re: More turnover
Date: May 03, 2018 11:05AM

David Harding
Not bars, but both Collegetown Pizza and Dunkin Donuts have closed abruptly. [cornellsun.com]
Seems impossible that a pizza joint in Collegetown could lose money.
Times change when the closing of a Dunkin' in Collegetown is news. Or when it come to Collegetown. Maybe the coffee didn't cost enough.

Re: Yet another collegetown bar bites the dust - Nines
Date: June 08, 2018 11:38AM

Latest on the Nines. [cornellsun.com]

Sarah Skinner, Cornell Sun
The Common Council officially struck down the controversial proposal to declare the Nines building in Collegetown a local landmark. The tiebreaker vote followed a five-hour meeting Tuesday night that set a “record” for public comment.

The owners, Mark Kiel­mann ’72 and Harold Schultz, will be able to sell the property for development without the constraints of landmark designation, which would have required any exterior change to the building to be approved by the Ithaca Landmarks Preservation Commission.

I do not know why "record" is in quotes. Actually, I see it now: One of the aldermenpersons said he heard it was a record, 52 commenters.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.sub-174-199-5.myvzw.com)
Date: October 04, 2018 12:08PM

Closing.

[cornellsun.com]

Date: October 04, 2018 01:34PM

well that sucks

Posted by: RichH (117.6.85.---)
Date: October 04, 2018 09:26PM

Collegetown Bagels
Resurrected Rulloff's
Level B
Jack's Grill
Loco Cantina
Hideaway

RIP:
Palms
Dino's
Johnny's
Johnny O's
The Chariot
Little Joe's
Pixel
Stella's
Chapter House
Dunbar's
The Nines
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2019 10:09PM by RichH.

Posted by: gonyr (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2018 11:00PM

RichH
Collegetown Bagels
Resurrected Rulloff's
Level B
Jack's Grill
Loco Cantina

RIP:
Palms
Dino's
Johnny's
Johnny O's
The Chariot
Little Joe's
Pixel
Stella's
Chapter House
Dunbar's
The Nines

Isn't there something where Dunbar's was? Or did it close already?

Date: October 06, 2018 03:55PM

gonyr
RichH
Collegetown Bagels
Resurrected Rulloff's
Level B
Jack's Grill
Loco Cantina

RIP:
Palms
Dino's
Johnny's
Johnny O's
The Chariot
Little Joe's
Pixel
Stella's
Chapter House
Dunbar's
The Nines

Isn't there something where Dunbar's was? Or did it close already?
Hideaway is in Dunbar's location. Google reviews It opened in the fall of 2016. [cornellsun.com] [ithacavoice.com]

Date: April 26, 2019 02:07PM

First the Nines and now Napoli's..

not much warning for this one though. closing today

Date: August 31, 2019 12:25AM

RichH
Collegetown Bagels
Resurrected Rulloff's
Level B
Jack's Grill
Loco Cantina

RIP:
Palms
Dino's
Johnny's
Johnny O's
The Chariot
Little Joe's
Pixel
Stella's
Chapter House
Dunbar's
The Nines
The "Sun" headline reads "Are Collegetown Bagels and Ruloff’s On the Chopping Block? Developers Plan Demolition for June 2020"
Also, in the Ithaca Voice.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2020 01:19AM by David Harding.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 01, 2019 10:52PM

the Green Market place? on the corner has been closed for a long time.

Posted by: RichH (104.194.218.---)
Date: September 02, 2019 10:32PM

I neglected to update that list until today to include the Hideaway, in the Dunbar's location. Also, that's the Ithaca Voice. The Village Voice shut down a year ago this week.

But wow, looking at the photos, the majority of that building is quite fugly, so I understand the desire to do a rebuild, especially considering the maintenance issues discussed in the articles. Even so, I maintain that the commercial spaces of it, CTB and Ruloff's most notably, are charming as hell, and I know the replacement won't come close to that feel.

And I'm expecting that the new rent structures will probably price out the current tenants. So what annoying chain isn't in Collegetown yet? There's already Starbucks and 7-Eleven. Dunkin F'ing Donuts? yark

Date: September 03, 2019 06:04AM

RichH
But wow, looking at the photos, the majority of that building is quite fugly, so I understand the desire to do a rebuild, especially considering the maintenance issues discussed in the articles. Even so, I maintain that the commercial spaces of it, CTB and Ruloff's most notably, are charming as hell, and I know the replacement won't come close to that feel.

Yeah, looking at that picture I had no recollection of what the upper floors of that building were supposed to look like. I guess I've spent most of my time in Ithaca with my head down huddled against the rain/snow.

Date: September 04, 2019 09:36PM

RichH
Also, that's the Ithaca Voice. The Village Voice shut down a year ago this week.
Ooops.

Date: September 23, 2019 10:31PM

An undergrad bemoans the loss of character in the Collegetown restaurant scene, CTB in particular. [cornellsun.com]

Posted by: Scersk '97 (32.210.48.---)
Date: September 24, 2019 07:46AM

David Harding
An undergrad bemoans the loss of character in the Collegetown restaurant scene, CTB in particular. [cornellsun.com]

Spot on! I'll buy that kid a beer and tell him about the old days!

Oh, wait! He's a junior so probably not legal. Oh, wait! There are few (and soon to be fewer) proper bars left in Collegetown.

"Oh, it's too hot today…"

Date: September 24, 2019 10:21AM

And Joes shuts down this week too.. Long past its prime but still a place around for like 50-75 yrs

the college town of 25 yrs ago was a great place..

How could such a big campus not actually support decent places anymore and why dont the new owners of these buildings realize that a vibrant night life just adds to people want to be there?

Date: September 24, 2019 11:04AM

upprdeck
How could such a big campus not actually support decent places anymore and why dont the new owners of these buildings realize that a vibrant night life just adds to people want to be there?
You might need a planned economy and subsidies for the things that make Collegetown be Collegetown: scruffy bars, bagel delis. Put Cornell in charge ... they'd subsidize a 24-hour copy center and Italian restaurants not Asian fusion, or they'd get caught up in a never-ending debate about why is Eddy Street Pizza subsidized when it doesn't have enough variety of vegan pies and they can't prove the olive oil was sustainably farmed.

If there's one thing Collegetown needs, it's a supermarket that doesn't force you 1-3 miles away to Aldi, Wegman's, P&C. Okay, there's Greenstar so you've got something.

New York City has the same issues orders of magnitude bigger: an area is a dump, artists move in, it becomes cool, rents go up, artists forced out, your neighbors are young urban professionals, and then Taylor Swift moves in.

Date: September 25, 2019 04:00AM

I think this is a problem all over the world: developers rush to build housing, but the service economy that makes a place livable (grocery stores, bakeries, restaurants, banks) always seem to lag behind. Of course I live upstairs from two supermarkets and a drugstore, and will be able to see a bakery from my kitchen window once the leaves fall off the trees, so I can hardly complain at the moment.

Date: September 29, 2019 03:10PM

Date: September 29, 2019 05:59PM

Some of our finest protecting impressionable youths from the scourges of demon rum. Nothing could possibly benefit society more!

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2019 12:19PM

In a news release Friday, police said they found violations in all of those bars except Level B.
Level B!

Date: December 12, 2019 11:28PM

The Sun kciks off its summary of the decade with an article on "A Foodie Farewell to the Top 10 Collegetown Establishments That Have Closed in the Past Decade".

Date: December 13, 2019 08:53AM

really missing the Nines Pizza this time of yr. so many xmas office parties down there over the yrs

and losing Napolis wings too has probably been better for my diet,
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2019 10:43AM by upprdeck.

Collegetown Bagels to move, not close
Date: January 18, 2020 01:25AM

[ithacavoice.com]

Collegetown Bagels will move across the street to the Cornell-owned Sheldon Court where they get a 10-year lease. Ruloff's is still up in the air. The nominal end date for both Collegetown Bagels in their current location and for Rulloff's is June 1. The owners are in discussion with their landlord, Student Agencies, for a one week extension to allow big parties with alumni in town for reunions.

Re: Collegetown Bagels to move, not close
Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: January 18, 2020 09:19AM

it shows that the money is in the housing and none of the landlords really care about the experience they are creating.

you have a ready made restaurant thats been vacant on the 4 corners thats been empty for a decade and something like CTB never even thinks about moving in. no doubt they want to knock it down and build up when that lease is done. although i saw signs of some work around it last week.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2020 11:03AM

upprdeck
it shows that the money is in the housing and none of the landlords really care about the experience they are creating.

you have a ready made restaurant thats been vacant on the 4 corners thats been empty for a decade and something like CTB never even thinks about moving in. no doubt they want to knock it down and build up when that lease is done. although i saw signs of some work around it last week.

This based on your knowledge of what is in the minds of the owners, your experience running eating establishments and your ownership of commercial properties?

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: January 18, 2020 02:18PM

my talks with with the owners of properties in college town and the crazy money some of those have. the buildings downtown went up and 2 places move into. on collegetown nothing and from what i hear it will get worse soon. the rents are killing all those places

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: January 21, 2020 05:15PM

worked at the next door location of collegetown bagels when i lived in sheldon court. still showed up late to work sometimes, somehow.

Date: January 21, 2020 05:19PM

What monstrosity are they going to build on the Oliver's (fine, CTB) site? 20 stories? $3k starting rent?

Date: January 22, 2020 12:07AM

Trotsky
What monstrosity are they going to build on the Oliver's (fine, CTB) site? 20 stories? $3k starting rent?
There are a couple of elevations shown in the Ithaca Voice article from last August, along with a bunch of history.

Date: January 22, 2020 10:48AM

David Harding
Trotsky
There are a couple of elevations shown in the Ithaca Voice article from last August, along with a bunch of history.

That looks... actually, pretty nice. The present building, for all its history, is a horrific eyesore. Pretty much anything they put there is going to be better. 5 stories is, well, inevitable until the plague cuts the population back to a reasonable level.

I'll allow it.

Date: January 22, 2020 11:56AM

Trotsky
The new building gains one additional floor, taking it from four to five. There is a confusing paragraph in the Ithaca Voice about how the number of apartments on the block will increase from 30 to 56, but it's not the only building on the block. If the first floor is retail, then going from four to five floors should increase the apartments by a third, more or less.

Meanwhile, Student Agencies, which I thought of as the people that rented you dorm refrigerators and maybe ran a laundry, now is a conglomerate. Among other things it produces the Cornellian yearbook ... priced "from $150.00."

I continue to be surprised the university hasn't been more aggressive grabbing land. Cornell can buy individual apartment buildings, keep them going for 10-25 years, until they amass enough land to put up something larger. The only downside is Cornell probably has a higher cost of doing business because it needs to actually maintain buildings to code. I used to assume Cornell as a Collegetown landlord is a good thing, now I'm uncertain. It may be that Cornell would see a need to build collegetown apartments that are more affordably priced, if Cornell can do it and not lose money.

I lived for a decade in a two-family apartment bordering Smith College in Massachusetts and in 1980 Smith had a standing offer to buy the house. It's now in a next generation of the landlord's family. And I believe the offer still stands. It's probably like that in every small town collegetown.

Date: January 22, 2020 10:24PM

Trotsky
David Harding
Trotsky

That looks... actually, pretty nice. The present building, for all its history, is a horrific eyesore. Pretty much anything they put there is going to be better. 5 stories is, well, inevitable until the plague cuts the population back to a reasonable level.

Meh. Looks like a prison block on top of an oversized office park building. It turns the Oliver's corner very, very corporate. And you know that brick is going to be that ugly, big, over-grouted crap they use everywhere because no one does quality masonry work anymore. It'll all look uniform and plastic.

What I'll miss most? The oversize shopfront entrance. You know, a detail meant for humans.

Date: January 23, 2020 12:22AM

Not quite so venerable an establishment, but more turnover in the Collegetown resatauant scene. Miyake has closed, another one is set to take its place on Eddy Street.

Date: January 23, 2020 12:42PM

Scersk '97
Trotsky
David Harding
Trotsky

Meh. Looks like a prison block on top of an oversized office park building. It turns the Oliver's corner very, very corporate. And you know that brick is going to be that ugly, big, over-grouted crap they use everywhere because no one does quality masonry work anymore. It'll all look uniform and plastic.

What I'll miss most? The oversize shopfront entrance. You know, a detail meant for humans.

Whaddya want? The last beautiful building in the US was erected 80 years ago.

Date: January 23, 2020 01:41PM

Trotsky
Whaddya want? The last beautiful building in the US was erected 80 years ago.

Do you mean this?

I'll agree. 1939 was still a good year. The problem was in residential architecture, where Miesian steel/glass boxes took hold, knocked off by architects who didn't have the originator's command of openness and light.

To be honest, something in me likes some of the Stalinist architecture from the 40s and 50s…

I'm probably attracted by the exuberance of ornamentation, something that became anathema in the west because the Nazis loved it and we had to be darn sure to prove we weren't Nazis. Or Socialists.

Even brutalism has its place. (Not in the middle of Boston, but I digress.) But, geez, you need talent to pull it off! Most of the time, the money behind whatever project is being built doesn't have the aesthetic chops to force the architects toward creating something great, that is, if they have the ability to do so in the first place.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 23, 2020 02:58PM

I actually stayed in one of those Stalinist Skyscrapers when it was the Hotel Ukraina. It didn't have air conditioning at the time, which in a Moscow summer is critical.

IMO the TWA terminal at JFK is an attractive building. I actually slept in that one, too, but only because of a blizzard in NYC on the way back to Ithaca from a senior year interview. It wasn't a hotel at the time.

Date: January 23, 2020 04:08PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I actually stayed in one of those Stalinist Skyscrapers when it was the Hotel Ukraina. It didn't have air conditioning at the time, which in a Moscow summer is critical.

IMO the TWA terminal at JFK is an attractive building. I actually slept in that one, too, but only because of a blizzard in NYC on the way back to Ithaca from a senior year interview. It wasn't a hotel at the time.

(Eero) Saarinen's TWA Terminal (1962) was/is a masterwork. Yet, even a master can put out a clunker or two. I give you:

the Earl V. Moore Building of Michigan's School of Music (Eero Saarinen, 1958), the halls of which I had the relative displeasure of haunting for [unprintable] years.

Functional for about five months: May, June, July, and August, when pretty much no one is around; and February when the pond (sometimes) freezes enough to permit skating. Like everyone else who goes there, I spent hours gazing cock-eyed out those window slits at (sometimes) the outdoor beauty or (most of the time) the normal Michigan grey overcast muddiness. The rest of the time, I was shuffling about the sepulchral corridors.

Big patio! Never usable, and you're on display for and blocking the view of those using the classrooms. Big windows! Only in classrooms, three sides of one level of the library, and (only) some (very few, actually!) offices. Sound proofing? Nah…

Going back to your point and Saarinen citation, we're still just talking about monumental projects. Residential and commercial architecture in all countries took a nosedive starting in the mid-50s. On the scale of the single-family house, I even have a soft spot for the venerable ol' split level, but then it all mostly got worse from there, ending where we are now with McMansions.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2020 04:09PM by Scersk '97.

Date: January 23, 2020 04:40PM

Brutalism is a long way to go for a joke, and those Cyclopean Stalinist structures only look good from a distance, if that.

Though to be fair this is so spectacularly stupid it's kind of enjoyable:

"The North's gonna do it again!" They should put that fucker in Potsdam.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2020 04:46PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 23, 2020 05:38PM

Trotsky
Brutalism is a long way to go for a joke, and those Cyclopean Stalinist structures only look good from a distance, if that.

That tower? Bradfield? I admit I had to look twice or three times. (Et tu brutalist?)

But that's not a joke; count on postmodernists to make dubious jokes:

I give you Lurie Bell Tower (Charles W. Moore, 1996), Michigan North Campus. I leave its shape as a proof to the reader. (That "corpus" running up one side is not mirrored on the other one.)

Trotsky
Though to be fair this is so spectacularly stupid it's kind of enjoyable:

[snip]

"The North's gonna do it again!" They should put that fucker in Potsdam.

I like it! Couldn't be more classically gothic inside. But, as a Lutheran church, I suspect siting it somewhere in Minnesota might be more appropriate.

To put a real question out there, has anyone thought of a good residential or commercial building built past, say, 1955? A good skyscraper might count, but something less monumental in the five- or six-story range would be more interesting.

Page:  1 234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login