Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Campus architecture

Posted by David Harding 
Campus architecture
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2015 05:40PM

A few tidbits on campus architecture:
A remake of Rand Hall as fine arts library, with a major change to the exterior. [ithacavoice.com]
University suees Pei Cobb Freed & Partners over flaws in Johnson Museum addition. [ithacavoice.com]
Gannett Health Center expension. [ithacavoice.com]
Another monster apartment building in Collegetown [ithacavoice.com]

Re: Campus architecture
Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: June 06, 2015 06:34PM

David Harding
A lot more than one monster apartment building is needed to bring rents back to sane levels on the hill.

Posted by: Robb (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 07, 2015 11:13AM

Kyle Rose
David Harding
A lot more than one monster apartment building is needed to bring rents back to sane levels on the hill.
What are rents these days? When I was there (90-94), $300/person/month would get you a crappy dive, but I have no clue how much the luxe apartments in C-town were going for - never even considered going that route.

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.64.---)
Date: June 08, 2015 09:30PM

Robb
Kyle Rose
David Harding
What are rents these days? When I was there (90-94), $300/person/month would get you a crappy dive, but I have no clue how much the luxe apartments in C-town were going for - never even considered going that route.

I got curious so I just did a quick search. $2300 for a 2-bedroom in one of those big C-town buildings on Dryden between College and Eddy, $800 for a room in an 8 bedroom group housing unit, and $1300 for a studio/1-br. Pricing on 3 and 4 bedroom units wasn't available because they're all rented out. That's eye-popping compared with 15 years ago when I was paying $575/month for a 1-bedroom in a house about 4 blocks from there. I seem to remember rents in those buildings were always pretty high by area standards but I'd be surprised if a 2-BR was more than $1500 back then.

By pure chance* the Lakeland Apartment complex popped up as one of the top hits. I lived in a 3 bedroom there and I seem to remember rent being about $350/month plus utilities (~$1300 for all 3 of us because I don't think it was an even split). Looks like it's up to $1450 for a 2-bedroom. I don't remember what those were going for but I think it was around $1100/month.

* Probably not pure chance, actually. I ended up living there because it was the only affordable option available to us lazy-ass cheapskates. We didn't start looking for housing until mid-March, so I'm guessing their target markets haven't shifted much.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2015 03:34PM by Tom Lento.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (204.27.156.---)
Date: June 09, 2015 07:58AM

Back when I was a lad...

In '80-'82, I lived in a three bedroom apartment on Dryden Rd. with hot and cold running cockroaches right around the corner from Dunbar's. This was when there was still a park across the street. We each paid $140/month.

Times change.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2015 10:16AM

If Cornell does not yet have parity with BU in Red Hot Hockey, off-campus apartment rents are coming close. The difference is when you get a half-mile from campus in Ithaca, you can't sustain those rent levels.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2015 10:49PM

That was quick. Five buildings on the south side of Dryden Road east of College Ave are down [ithacavoice.com], including the Palms.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: June 12, 2015 04:01PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Back when I was a lad...

In '80-'82, I lived in a three bedroom apartment on Dryden Rd. with hot and cold running cockroaches right around the corner from Dunbar's. This was when there was still a park across the street. We each paid $140/month.

Times change.
'82-83 on Dryden Road, practically across from the purple piano: two bedrooms, $250 each, and we thought we were being robbed.

For perspective, the single year I lived in Albany I had a room with smaller dimensions than a UHall single, and paid $99 flat, including utilities.

"Do you see this quarter? It used to be a nickel."

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: July 27, 2017 03:00PM

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 29, 2017 09:56AM

Really good article, thank you.

Eng revisions look good. Hard to process that.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.37.26.69.virtela.net)
Date: September 13, 2017 04:56PM

Trotsky

I'm going to miss the big yellow, green, and red panels. The joke about color-coding the buildings doesn't work as well with just tiny stripes.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: September 14, 2017 11:20AM

Trotsky

I would rebuke you with a comment about how it looks like a boxy stack of corrugated cardboard, but almost anything is better than what had been there.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2017 08:34AM

RichH
Trotsky

I would rebuke you with a comment about how it looks like a boxy stack of corrugated cardboard, but almost anything is better than what had been there.

It smacks of "exterior cladding fad that will look dated very soon and disappoints when applied with such overwhelming uniformity." Looks like an "office park of the future!" past. What's so wrong with brick and stone?

Plus, it looks like we're back to hating windows again, a fad that takes hold every time our society makes ill-targeted attempts at conservation. Who doesn't like an arrow-slit window for an office!
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2017 08:38AM by Scersk '97.

Date: September 15, 2017 12:18PM

Scersk '97
Who doesn't like an arrow-slit window for an office!

You laugh now but they're going to come in handy when the Mongols invade.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 15, 2017 01:33PM

Scersk '97

Plus, it looks like we're back to hating windows again, a fad that takes hold every time our society makes ill-targeted attempts at conservation.

I think that you're overstating things. Consider recent Cornell construction -- Veterinary School expansion, Klarman Hall, Physical Sciences Building, Milstein Hall, or the new buildings on Roosevelt Island. I remember when many of the windows in the original Engineering Quad buildings were covered over with aluminum foil because apparently sunlight interfered with whatever went on inside.

Date: September 15, 2017 05:01PM

George64
sunlight interfered with whatever went on inside.

The sex. It had to have been all the sex.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 15, 2017 06:06PM

Heh. Engineer sex.wank

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2017 09:40PM

Trotsky
George64
sunlight interfered with whatever went on inside.

The sex. It had to have been all the sex.

Nah, that's what the rooves are for.

Posted by: George64 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2018 04:10PM

Pritzker Prize winning Cornell architecture alumnus accused of (and tacitly admits to) sexual harassment. Richard Meier ‘56 recently endowed the chairmanship of AAP architecture department.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2018 04:50PM

George64
Pritzker Prize winning Cornell architecture alumnus accused of (and tacitly admits to) sexual harassment. Richard Meier ‘56 recently endowed the chairmanship of AAP architecture department.
In other news, many rich people are entitled assholes.

Date: March 13, 2018 10:12PM

George64

Email from Kent Kleinman, dean of AAP.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: March 20, 2018 10:52AM

If the donor decided to shift the money to Women's hockey as a sign of repentance and to make amends, would they accept it?

Date: March 20, 2018 12:16PM

TimV
If the donor decided to shift the money to Women's hockey as a sign of repentance and to make amends, would they accept it?

I’m not counting on it, so I made my annual gift to Women’s Ice Hockey this morning.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login