Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Chapter House fire last night/this morning

Posted by dag14 
Chapter House fire last night/this morning
Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2015 09:33AM

Multi-building fire on Stewart Avenue may be the end of the Chapter House. No injuries, thank goodness.

Ithaca Journal
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2015 09:36AM by dag14.

Re: Chapter House fire last night/this morning
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2015 11:27PM

Extensive coverage in the Ithaca Voice, too.
[ithacavoice.com]
[ithacavoice.com]
[ithacavoice.com]
[ithacavoice.com]
[ithacavoice.com]
[ithacavoice.com]
[ithacavoice.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2015 05:28PM

I'm still in denial about this, so in the meantime I'll ask: wasn't there a fire at the Chapter House about 20 years ago? Am I remembering correctly?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: April 15, 2015 06:13PM

jtwcornell91
I'm still in denial about this, so in the meantime I'll ask: wasn't there a fire at the Chapter House about 20 years ago? Am I remembering correctly?

The only other fire mentioned in the histories I've read was a kitchen grease fire in 1960 where the bar sustained smoke damage. In the late 90s, they did some minor remodeling as they pulled out the brewing tanks and the grilled cheese counter, which opened up the back "hallway" part for the pool tables, dart boards & music stage. They also replaced and expanded the tap system, IIRC.

A couple of eLF regulars got into this piece: [cornellsun.com]

Fundraisers are starting up: [www.ithacajournal.com]

And while I haven't seen anything from Jon (the owner), a current bartender was reached for comment: [ithacavoice.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2015 06:15PM by RichH.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 08:18PM

With the Chapter House blaze, the Collegetown bar is a further endangered species. Protective legislation is needed.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (74.118.217.---)
Date: May 12, 2015 06:15PM

Wow, the Chapter House, Palms, Johnny O's, Dino'........did I hear that Pep sold his share of Dunbar's? And Lee long ago. Rulloff's has reopened I guess, is it any good? What is left? :-(

So many memories, so many hours, so many dollars spent!

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2015 08:11PM

RatushnyFan
Wow, the Chapter House, Palms, Johnny O's, Dino'........did I hear that Pep sold his share of Dunbar's? And Lee long ago. Rulloff's has reopened I guess, is it any good? What is left? :-(

So many memories, so many hours, so many dollars spent!

I've been meaning to put together a list.

Current Collegetown spots with a bar:

Collegetown Bagels
New-lloff's
Stella's
The Nines
Pixel (recently tore out their taps & just have cheap swill in bottles)
Dunbar's
Level B (more of a dance club)
Jack's Grill (burger place added a sports bar side)
Loco Cantina (dive in the old ABC Cafe across the side alley from Chapter House)

I'm sure somebody local will suggest corrections.

RIP:
Palms
Dino's
Johnny's
Johnny O's
The Chariot
The Connection/Bear Den (College Ave)
Little Joe's (more restaurant than bar)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2015 08:14PM by RichH.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2015 01:15PM

There's still some hope for the Chapter House.

Date: July 16, 2015 11:50PM

George64
There's no mention of it in Journal, but the article was probably triggered by the item on Tuesday (7/14) night's agenda for the Ithaca Landmarks Preservation Commission. The Chapter House is in the East Hill Historic Preservation District, so it would have to be rebuilt in keeping with the original style.

Posted by: RichH (---.northgrum.com)
Date: July 20, 2015 12:26PM

Updating this list with the news that both Pixel and Stella's have closed for good this summer.

Collegetown Bagels
Resurrected Rulloff's
The Nines
Dunbar's
Level B
Jack's Grill
Loco Cantina

RIP:
Palms
Dino's
Johnny's
Johnny O's
The Chariot
Little Joe's
Pixel
Stella's
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2015 12:28PM by RichH.

Date: July 22, 2015 04:09AM

RichH
Updating this list with the news that both Pixel and Stella's have closed for good this summer.

Collegetown Bagels
Resurrected Rulloff's
The Nines
Dunbar's
Level B
Jack's Grill
Loco Cantina

RIP:
Palms
Dino's
Johnny's
Johnny O's
The Chariot
Little Joe's
Pixel
Stella's

Are The Greek House and The Souvlaki House too long gone to warrant an RIP?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2015 07:54AM

Did TSH have a bar?

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2015 10:33AM

No bar, just beer and bad wine on the menu. And Peter and the S House are still going strong.

Date: July 23, 2015 11:03PM

David Harding
George64
There's no mention of it in Journal, but the article was probably triggered by the item on Tuesday (7/14) night's agenda for the Ithaca Landmarks Preservation Commission. The Chapter House is in the East Hill Historic Preservation District, so it would have to be rebuilt in keeping with the original style.
Now The Ithaca Voice reports that the plan is to rebuild to match photos from about 1905. The exterior walls left standing are too far gone to be salvaged. The plan is to have the Chapter House return to the ground floor and student housing on the three floors above, all opening by August 2016. "Mr. John Hoey, the prior long-term Lessee and owner of the rights to the Chapter House Pub name," will return

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: July 24, 2015 12:38PM

David Harding
The plan is to have the Chapter House return to the ground floor and student housing on the three floors above, all opening by August 2016. "Mr. John Hoey, the prior long-term Lessee and owner of the rights to the Chapter House Pub name," will return

I'm glad it has been granted eligibility, even if it has to take a red shirt year.

I for one, am excited for my first visit to The Phoenix House.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2015 12:42PM by RichH.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2015 10:53PM

Let's hope they get it right: tall ceilings, wood paneling, cozy front windows. Even if the walls have to come down, one hopes they can salvage the front facade woodwork on the first floor. no one makes thAt kind of stuff right anymore.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2015 09:58PM

Scersk '97
Let's hope they get it right: tall ceilings, wood paneling, cozy front windows. Even if the walls have to come down, one hopes they can salvage the front facade woodwork on the first floor. no one makes thAt kind of stuff right anymore.

If they are going to match a 1905 design, we could get a delightfully atmospheric rathskeller.

Date: August 15, 2015 01:34PM

RichH

Collegetown Bagels
Resurrected Rulloff's
The Nines
Dunbar's
Level B
Jack's Grill
Loco Cantina

RIP:
Palms
Dino's
Johnny's
Johnny O's
The Chariot
Little Joe's
Pixel
Stella's
The Ithaca Voice reports on expectations for Stella's reopening.

Date: September 25, 2015 10:38PM

George64
The Ithaca Voice reports on preliminary plans for the Chapter House rebuild. It's going to need approval from the Ithaca Landmarks Preservation Commission (ILPC), which can be quite prickly about maintaining the character of the original, before all the other approvals a new building requires. I'd wager that it takes several months just to get through ILPC. It's hard for me to imagine them hitting the target date of reopening in August 2016. Here's an old photo (c. 1905) to compare with the new design. Maybe the new design flies through.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 28, 2015 01:55PM

How is it that a building can remain a landmark after it burns down?

Date: September 28, 2015 10:22PM

KeithK
How is it that a building can remain a landmark after it burns down?
Here the issue is one of maintaining the character of the neighborhood, the "East Hill Historic Preservation District".
ILPC ordinance, Powers and Duties
K. Preparing a report or recommendation to other City boards and committees regarding plans and proposals that could have an impact on designated individual landmarks and/or historic districts;
See this story with photos on a new apartment building on a formerly vacant lot on Secenca Street between Quarry and Stewart. [brancra.wordpress.com] The new building is in the character of its neighbors. Replicating the old building ensures that you're in character. Here's an example of a replication of an old building on Eddy Street. [brancra.wordpress.com]

Date: November 06, 2015 10:12PM

There's an "early design review" of the Chapter House rebuilding plans scheduled for Tuesday evening, 11/10/2015, before the Ithaca Landmarks Preservation Commission. Brian Crandall reports and comments.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 02, 2015 11:40PM

David Harding
There's an "early design review" of the Chapter House rebuilding plans scheduled for Tuesday evening, 11/10/2015, before the Ithaca Landmarks Preservation Commission. Brian Crandall reports and comments.
And in the Ithaca Voice.

Date: January 22, 2016 09:40PM

David Harding
David Harding
And in the Ithaca Voice.
The Chapter House rebuild design is evolving. Brian Crandall comments.in his second bullet today.

Date: January 28, 2016 11:28PM

Chapter House rebuild approved. [ithacavoice.com]

Date: April 27, 2016 09:18PM

Well, crap.

Future Of New Chapter House In Doubt

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2016 10:45AM

jtwcornell91
Well, crap.

Generally, absentee landlords are nothing but festering carbuncles on the body politic.

One wishes a cooperative of Cornellians and other interested locals could get together and remove such an important property from the clutches of these management companies upon management companies.

Date: April 28, 2016 11:43AM

Scersk '97
jtwcornell91
Well, crap.

Generally, absentee landlords are nothing but festering carbuncles on the body politic.

One wishes a cooperative of Cornellians and other interested locals could get together and remove such an important property from the clutches of these management companies upon management companies.

It seems like there ought to be some sort of posthumous landmark status that forbids the owners from building anything except a new Chapter House on that site.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: April 28, 2016 12:58PM

jtwcornell91
Scersk '97
jtwcornell91
Well, crap.

It seems like there ought to be some sort of posthumous landmark status that forbids the owners from building anything except a new Chapter House on that site.
Because it's well-established that the best way to get property owners to keep their properties from becoming blighted is to cap rents by limiting use. Just ask this scientician: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 28, 2016 03:18PM

Kyle Rose
jtwcornell91
Scersk '97
jtwcornell91
Well, crap.

Because it's well-established that the best way to get property owners to keep their properties from becoming blighted is to cap rents by limiting use. Just ask this scientician: [www.youtube.com]

Oh, Kyle. Never change.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: April 28, 2016 04:02PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose
jtwcornell91
Scersk '97
jtwcornell91
Well, crap.

Oh, Kyle. Never change.
You mean starting now?

Date: September 12, 2016 11:42AM

I will cry with joy if the "possible layout" on the Pyramid brokerage flyer comes to pass. I want to be able to sit by the windows watching people struggle up and down Williams on a snowy evening again.

There is not a doubt in my mind that a "reconstruction" would be the most lucrative use for that space. Let's hope things keep moving that way.

Date: December 04, 2016 08:57PM

Scersk '97

I will cry with joy if the "possible layout" on the Pyramid brokerage flyer comes to pass. I want to be able to sit by the windows watching people struggle up and down Williams on a snowy evening again.

There is not a doubt in my mind that a "reconstruction" would be the most lucrative use for that space. Let's hope things keep moving that way.
A little more movement. Nick Reynolds at Ithaca.com reports on the reconstruction approvals. The building has cleared its biggest regulatory hurdle, the Ithaca Landmark Preservation Commission, but the owner is asking twice as much rent for the restaurant/bar space as the Chapter House trademark holder was paying. He calls it "a money pit spending more and more before construction with no anchor tenant.”

Date: June 12, 2017 07:34PM

David Harding
Scersk '97

A little more movement. Nick Reynolds at Ithaca.com reports on the reconstruction approvals. The building has cleared its biggest regulatory hurdle, the Ithaca Landmark Preservation Commission, but the owner is asking twice as much rent for the restaurant/bar space as the Chapter House trademark holder was paying. He calls it "a money pit spending more and more before construction with no anchor tenant.”

Back in Ithaca for reunions over the weekend I noticed there seemed to be construction activity on the property. Mark Anbinder at 14850.com and Brian Crandell at The Ithaca Voice now report that is indeed the case, though a tenant for the planned first floor retail/restaurant space (formerly the Chapter House) has not been announced.

Date: August 25, 2017 06:31PM

David Harding
David Harding
Scersk '97

Back in Ithaca for reunions over the weekend I noticed there seemed to be construction activity on the property. Mark Anbinder at 14850.com and Brian Crandell at The Ithaca Voice now report that is indeed the case, though a tenant for the planned first floor retail/restaurant space (formerly the Chapter House) has not been announced.
Brian Crandall reports on construction progress at the Chapter House site and elicits from John Hoey, the proprietor of the Chapter House, the statement that he intends to bring back the Chapter House either at that location or in one of the other empty Collegetown bar sites.

Date: December 17, 2017 08:44PM

Brian Crandall reports good progress the building being erected where the Chapter House stood. From his photos, I would guess that most alumni won't realize that it's a new building. But I still haven't seen anything definitive about what will occupy the restaurant/bar space on the ground floor.

Date: February 18, 2018 12:46AM

David Harding
Brian Crandall reports good progress the building being erected where the Chapter House stood. From his photos, I would guess that most alumni won't realize that it's a new building. But I still haven't seen anything definitive about what will occupy the restaurant/bar space on the ground floor.

Monthly update from Brian Crandall
The owners are looking for a tenant for 3000 sqft at $35/sqft gross.

Posted by: ugarte (---.250.38.244.hwccustomers.com)
Date: February 18, 2018 07:51PM

every time this gets updated for a second i think "ANOTHER FIRE?"

Date: February 19, 2018 09:32AM

David Harding
The owners are looking for a tenantfor 3000 sqft at $35/sqft gross.

Out of curiosity and some concern considering the comment at the bottom of Crandall's summary, can anyone speculate as to what the Chapter House's lease might have been before the fire? Or, for that matter, what a fair rate would be for the property, since no one seems to be biting at Pyramid's ask? As I have absolutely no experience in commercial properties, I'm wondering what spread is being "negotiated" here.

I mean, I can't speak for everyone, but I'd gladly kick in an extra 50 cents a beer to get the right business back in the right place…
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2018 09:34AM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.64.---)
Date: April 11, 2018 02:37PM

Scersk '97
David Harding
The owners are looking for a tenantfor 3000 sqft at $35/sqft gross.

Out of curiosity and some concern considering the comment at the bottom of Crandall's summary, can anyone speculate as to what the Chapter House's lease might have been before the fire? Or, for that matter, what a fair rate would be for the property, since no one seems to be biting at Pyramid's ask? As I have absolutely no experience in commercial properties, I'm wondering what spread is being "negotiated" here.

I mean, I can't speak for everyone, but I'd gladly kick in an extra 50 cents a beer to get the right business back in the right place…

No idea, but doing some quick calculations they'd need to sell about 150 beers a night, every night, at a markup of $2 each just to cover gross rent. I don't know what a good draft goes for in Ithaca these days, but if it's $5 that's bound to be a really thin margin over expenses, if it even covers at all. I suspect they'd need double or triple the 150/night volume at those prices, and that strikes me as a lot for a collegetown beer hall. Maybe they've poured a thousand beers on a busy Friday in February when the weather wasn't bad and nothing else was going on, but there are a lot of dead nights in the summer to weigh those averages down.

Of course, more $ per beer means less volume required, but it also means less volume. In a college town bar catering primarily to broke graduate students my guess is the volume drop-off by price is pretty steep.

Date: April 11, 2018 04:25PM

Tom Lento
No idea, but doing some quick calculations they'd need to sell about 150 beers a night, every night, at a markup of $2 each just to cover gross rent. I don't know what a good draft goes for in Ithaca these days, but if it's $5 that's bound to be a really thin margin over expenses, if it even covers at all. I suspect they'd need double or triple the 150/night volume at those prices, and that strikes me as a lot for a collegetown beer hall. Maybe they've poured a thousand beers on a busy Friday in February when the weather wasn't bad and nothing else was going on, but there are a lot of dead nights in the summer to weigh those averages down.

Of course, more $ per beer means less volume required, but it also means less volume. In a college town bar catering primarily to broke graduate students my guess is the volume drop-off by price is pretty steep.

Thanks for responding to my laziness with reason and a bit of math. Your back-of-the-envelope calculation seems about right to me, and I concur that the volume necessary seems unrealistic. And we're not even talking yet about taking care of employees, insurance, utilities, popcorn supplies, bathroom re-grouting, etc.

My mind immediately headed on to the other kind of business that I think Pyramid is chasing, which would be a restaurant, I would guess. The markups would be significantly higher, but the labor costs and overhead would be too. I have no idea what the average mid-price restaurant clears per cover, but let's say it's $5. So, you'd need to do 50 covers per night every night, in that location? Also seems unrealistic. And anyway, does Ithaca need another restaurant, particularly there?

Let's hope that Pyramid is open to significant negotiation.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 11, 2018 09:30PM

isnt the profit on beer pretty high? i know the cost of soda to a macd is less then 10 a cup and i thought beer was pretty close to the same for draft

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.64.---)
Date: April 12, 2018 09:13PM

upprdeck
isnt the profit on beer pretty high? i know the cost of soda to a macd is less then 10 a cup and i thought beer was pretty close to the same for draft

I expect it is, but given the fixed costs of the business gross receipts matter a lot. If you put a bar in there at those lease terms and turn 100% profit over beer, equipment, and maintenance cost on every $5 draft (which implies you get all that stuff for free) AND you have minimal staffing expense, you still go broke within the first year if you aren't selling 50-100 a night. Honestly, if you open in April you'll probably be out of business in August.

Not-the-Chapter-House rebuild
Date: April 30, 2018 08:06PM

Brian Crandall (The Village Voice) and Mark Anbinder (14850.com) report progress on construction of the buildings that are replacing burned Chapter House and adjacent apartments. The apartments appear to be on track for August occupancy. There is still no tenant for the bar/restaurant space.

Re: Not-the-Chapter-House rebuild
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 02, 2018 10:58AM

David Harding
Brian Crandall (The Village Voice) and Mark Anbinder (14850.com) report progress on construction of the buildings that are replacing burned Chapter House and adjacent apartments. The apartments appear to be on track for August occupancy. There is still no tenant for the bar/restaurant space.
If ever there's a need for a GoFundMe campaign. Convince a couple of early-retirement Hotelies to take this on as community service. Pretty soon, Ithaca bars will come under the Endangered Species Act.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: May 02, 2018 12:03PM

David Harding
David Harding

In case you weren't sure, btw, that's $35/sqft gross PER YEAR, not per month. It works out to less than $9,000/month.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Robb (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 06, 2018 09:44PM

Beeeej
David Harding
David Harding

In case you weren't sure, btw, that's $35/sqft gross PER YEAR, not per month. It works out to less than $9,000/month.
Yeah, but even if you could allocate $1 of every beer sale to cover rent, that's 9000 beers/month, or 300/day. At 3 beers each, that's 100 unique customers each and every day of the year - Tuesdays in early June as well as the Saturday of the Harvard game. Sounds like a dicey proposition to me - and, apparently, to every potential tenant who has studied the actual numbers.

Date: July 14, 2018 11:32PM

[ithacating.com]
Brian Crandall
...still looking for a tenant.

Date: July 15, 2018 06:57PM

David Harding
[ithacating.com]
Brian Crandall
A reply to the original post:
John Hoey

Excellent reporting but need to add three facts . First, the location, cause and origin of fire has never been proven and all indications are it started in alley between the chapterhouse and 4006. Second is that Goldman has just purchased 4006 Stewart avenue for cash a couple of months before fire and Third , the Chapterhouse has not been able to negotiate a lease compatible with its prior lease at same location in order to make it competitive and successful in college town where bars are a dying breed due to social networking and high operating expenses. We are looking at other locations to rebrand as Chapterhouse in college town close to our original location at 400-04 Stewart Ave.
John J.Hoey, President and CEO, Ithaca Brewing Company Inc dba The Chapterhouse .

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 16, 2018 11:19AM

In my day, you didn't "rebrand" a bar. But that was before the Johnson School got really famous.

Date: July 16, 2018 01:27PM

David Harding
David Harding
[ithacating.com]
Brian Crandall
John Hoey

Excellent reporting but need to add three facts . First, the location, cause and origin of fire has never been proven and all indications are it started in alley between the chapterhouse and 4006. Second is that Goldman has just purchased 4006 Stewart avenue for cash a couple of months before fire and Third , the Chapterhouse has not been able to negotiate a lease compatible with its prior lease at same location in order to make it competitive and successful in college town where bars are a dying breed due to social networking and high operating expenses. We are looking at other locations to rebrand as Chapterhouse in college town close to our original location at 400-04 Stewart Ave.
John J.Hoey, President and CEO, Ithaca Brewing Company Inc dba The Chapterhouse .

Wait, did he just accuse someone of arson? wow

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2018 02:12PM

jtwcornell91
David Harding
David Harding
[ithacating.com]
Brian Crandall
John Hoey

Wait, did he just accuse someone of arson? wow

If he did then he left out the terms of the insurance settlement. For the arson to be profitable the insurance would have to pay more than the cash purchase price - else Goldman is breaking even at best. Of course if the building had some type of fatal structural flaw then breaking even would be a good outcome assuming he trusts his structural engineer to keep quiet.

Have we any real estate attorneys on the forum (or real estate coercion conversion specialists)?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2018 02:13PM by marty.

Date: October 01, 2018 10:32PM

Construction is done. No commercial tenant. [ithacating.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login