Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell's 13th president: Elizabeth Garrett, USC

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell's 13th president: Elizabeth Garrett, USC
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2014 12:02PM

From a doctor to a lawyer: Cornell's 13th president is Elizabeth Garrett. She's provost and senior VP for academic affairs at USC. University of Oklahoma and Virginia Law. Had been dean at U Chicago Law School. [www.news.cornell.edu]

Re: Cornell's 13th president: Elizabeth Garrett, USC
Posted by: French Rage (38.99.127.---)
Date: September 30, 2014 12:09PM

We don't play the same song over and over at our football games; will that be a problem for her?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: September 30, 2014 12:15PM

She probably won't mind the music as much as she'll mind the football.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2014 12:16PM by TimV.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: September 30, 2014 09:20PM

TimV
Maybe she can get Pete Carroll after he decides he's had enough of the NFL.

Of course, we're more likely to end up with Rich Kotite, who would still probably improve Cornell's program.

Posted by: Robb (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 01, 2014 09:44AM

Kyle Rose
TimV

Of course, we're more likely to end up with Rich Kotite, who would still probably improve Cornell's program.
Or Lane Kiffin.... barf

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: October 01, 2014 12:22PM

Robb
Kyle Rose
TimV

Or Lane Kiffin.... barf

Charlie Weis.

Paul Pasqualoni.

This is fun.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2014 12:23PM by RichH.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2014 11:08PM

Was anyone else struck by the fact that the fourth paragraph of Cornell Chronicle article was about Garrett's husband and his position, even before telling us about her career (other than her current position)? Back in January 2006, when Skorton's appointment was announced, his wife wasn't mentioned until the 11th paragraph. Skorton's age was reported in the first paragraph, while Garrett's is not mentioned at all. What other differences do you note?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2014 09:56AM

David Harding
Was anyone else struck by the fact that the fourth paragraph of Cornell Chronicle article was about Garrett's husband and his position, even before telling us about her career (other than her current position)? Back in January 2006, when Skorton's appointment was announced, his wife wasn't mentioned until the 11th paragraph. Skorton's age was reported in the first paragraph, while Garrett's is not mentioned at all. What other differences do you note?

I noted that the Garrett announcement was eight and a half years after the Skorton one, written by different people, and not obsessively crafted with unnecessary equivalence in mind.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 04, 2014 12:28AM

Beeeej
David Harding

I noted that the Garrett announcement was eight and a half years after the Skorton one, written by different people, and not obsessively crafted with unnecessary equivalence in mind.
I'm more interested in Harding's close read than you are, Beeeej. The passive(?) sexism of how women are treated is no small thing. Everything can be written off to coincidence or different writers or any of a million reasons* but I don't think you should hand-wave away the fact that a male President's spouse barely merits a mention but the spouse of the first female President in Cornell's history is mentioned before her full bio is given.

* I almost wrote "notably, that her husband will be joining the law and A&S faculty" but… Skorton's wife also joined the faculty of the vet and med schools.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2014 12:30AM by ugarte.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2014 06:59AM

ugarte
Beeeej
David Harding

I'm more interested in Harding's close read than you are, Beeeej. The passive(?) sexism of how women are treated is no small thing. Everything can be written off to coincidence or different writers or any of a million reasons* but I don't think you should hand-wave away the fact that a male President's spouse barely merits a mention but the spouse of the first female President in Cornell's history is mentioned before her full bio is given.

* I almost wrote "notably, that her husband will be joining the law and A&S faculty" but… Skorton's wife also joined the faculty of the vet and med schools.

+1

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: October 05, 2014 08:58PM

ugarte
Beeeej
David Harding

I also think it bears some thought, but besides the existence of an untenable number of other variables, we also have an awfully small sample space. Has anybody dug up the Lehman and Rawlings announcements as well? I'm willing to bet that in 1977 and 1969, Cornell didn't feel Rosa Rhodes and Nellie Corson merited more than a last-paragraph "former Rosa Carlson and their four daughters" type of mention, but 1995 and 2002 would be more telling to me.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2014 09:03AM

Beeeej
ugarte
Beeeej
David Harding

I also think it bears some thought, but besides the existence of an untenable number of other variables, we also have an awfully small sample space. Has anybody dug up the Lehman and Rawlings announcements as well? I'm willing to bet that in 1977 and 1969, Cornell didn't feel Rosa Rhodes and Nellie Corson merited more than a last-paragraph "former Rosa Carlson and their four daughters" type of mention, but 1995 and 2002 would be more telling to me.
Easy enough in one case:

Lehman announcement, no mention of his wife, who came to Cornell at the same time as Lehman.

Unfortunately, the Chronicle's online archive appears only to go back to 1996, after Rawlings took office.

Date: October 07, 2014 12:09AM

Josh '99
Beeeej
ugarte
Beeeej
David Harding

Easy enough in one case:

Lehman announcement, no mention of his wife, who came to Cornell at the same time as Lehman.

Unfortunately, the Chronicle's online archive appears only to go back to 1996, after Rawlings took office.
From the article linked above on Lehman's departure:

Another said that Cornell is just going through an adjustment period as it has its first presidential spouse with a career -- and that such an adjustment is a good one for the university to have gone through.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 05, 2015 11:30AM

Date: September 25, 2015 10:40PM

The Ithaca Voice's seven best quotes from Garrett's inauguration speech.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2015 11:07PM

David Harding

6 empty cliches, but then this:

EG: "Realistically, no institution can be excellent in any study. The faculty instead must focus our energy and resources strategically. We must critically assess all that we are doing and choose which studies we choose to emphasize in our quest for excellence."

"We must organize ourselves in ways that ensure our work has the greatest impact, that propel us forward to new applications and allow fruitful collaborations among faculty and students ... In this analysis we must be guided by the spirit of 'Any Study' by defining our targets with breadth ... and by an openness to new understandings of disciplines, collaborations and methods of scholarship."

Jesus Fuck. Why didn't she just say, "If it pulls in research dollars, we'll do it."

She came about as close as you can to completely reversing, in both intent and emphasis, the entire point of the motto (and the school). It reminds me of Harvard's old defense of not admitting Jews, because "we must concentrate on students who can go on and make the greatest impact in society."

Dear Liz,

Blow me.

Sincerely, the Liberal Arts.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2015 11:37AM

Trotsky
David Harding

EG: "Realistically, no institution can be excellent in any study. The faculty instead must focus our energy and resources strategically. We must critically assess all that we are doing and choose which studies we choose to emphasize in our quest for excellence."

"We must organize ourselves in ways that ensure our work has the greatest impact, that propel us forward to new applications and allow fruitful collaborations among faculty and students ... In this analysis we must be guided by the spirit of 'Any Study' by defining our targets with breadth ... and by an openness to new understandings of disciplines, collaborations and methods of scholarship."

Jesus Fuck. Why didn't she just say, "If it pulls in research dollars, we'll do it."

She came about as close as you can to completely reversing, in both intent and emphasis, the entire point of the motto (and the school). It reminds me of Harvard's old defense of not admitting Jews, because "we must concentrate on students who can go on and make the greatest impact in society."

Dear Liz,

Blow me.

I hope that she watches our Sesquicentennial video again. Justice Ginsburg "took only music and art courses" in her last year at Cornell. "It was a wonderful education."

Posted by: Robb (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 27, 2015 11:11AM

Trotsky
David Harding

Dear Liz,

Blow me.

Dear god, that's awful. She's correct that no single institution can simultaneously be #1 in every field, but read the freaking motto again. There's nothing horrible like the hackneyed Corporate Vision-Mission-Positioning statement "Be #1 or #2 in every market we serve." The whole point of Any Study is that breadth is important for its own sake. The commitment to Any Study is what attracts faculty with a passion for learning and finding unexpected collaborations with fields they never imagined. Excellence follows from that - excellence is not the goal, it is the result.

Bah. What do you expect from USC?

(says the UCLA student)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login