Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Dunbars

Posted by toddlose 
Dunbars
Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2013 08:10PM

[www.cornellsun.com]

Sad news indeed

Re: Dunbars
Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 01, 2013 08:44PM

Cornell Daily Sun
Such memories will not make selling the bar, a Collegetown fixture that has seen hundreds of Cornellians pass through its doors, easy, Peppin said.
It's a wonder he was able to keep the place open for 33 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2013 08:46PM by ugarte.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2013 09:49PM

I hope he knows how much we appreciate it. And I agree -- God knows how you keep a dive bar open for 30 years after they hike the drinking age and make 80% of your clientele illegal.

Our Cornell experience was created by people like Dave. It didn't just "happen."

Hopefully there will be generations more who carry on, not necessarily that bar or even that type of place, which may by now be as anachronistic as 19th century dance hall with today's yutes, but whatever is analogous now.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2013 10:42PM

Trotsky
I hope he knows how much we appreciate it. And I agree -- God knows how you keep a dive bar open for 30 years after they hike the drinking age and make 80% of your clientele illegal.

Our Cornell experience was created by people like Dave. It didn't just "happen."
Hear, hear.

but whatever is analogous now.
I hope it's not a web site.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2013 10:43PM by ftyuv.

Date: February 02, 2013 12:41AM

ftyuv

It needs to have a non-zero* chance of catching something, or they're doing college wrong.

* In the case of Dunbar's, that chance was roughly 50/50.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2013 12:43AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 03, 2013 01:01AM

Trotsky
1) I was making fun of the Sun.

2) If Dunbars 2012 was anything like Dunbars 1990, the change in law did nothing to change the clientele. I drank with a drivers license that a friend found in a cab that said I was 27, blonde and 6'5".

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2013 10:04AM

Trotsky
ftyuv

It needs to have a non-zero* chance of catching something, or they're doing college wrong.

* In the case of Dunbar's, that chance was roughly 50/50.

Not sure how you came to be posting a picture that I could swear I took on my phone, but hey, I guess there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Posted by: gonyr (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2013 05:49PM

I really hope a possible new owner keeps it exactly the way it is. Although maybe purchasing a broom and a mop would be appropriate upgrades. Every college needs a true dive bar. For Cornell to have one that the Stanley Cup has visited is pretty special. I always make a point to stop in before last call when I'm back in Ithaca. It's truly comforting that Dunbar's has stayed the same all these years. And it seems just as crowded as ever, so it's I would assume it's probably financially viable to keep it running under new ownership. Anybody have an idea what the asking price is?

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2013 07:53PM

The problem is that Dunbar's is only crowded for 2-3 hours 2 or 3 nights a week. So it probably isn't that profitable. That is one of the reasons there are so few bars in Collegetown these days.

Students drink where they live, and go out to Collegetown at 11 pm to be seen before hitting after-hours at a fraternity or apartment. And that is if you have ID [fake or otherwise] to get into a bar.

Back in the good old days, when the drinking age was 18, virtually everyone at Cornell, including all the fraternity boys, went out to party at the bars, arriving at 8 or 9, not 11 pm, and staying until closing. We did so for sure Thursday - Saturday, and the other nights of the week weren't completely off the table. While there were fraternity parties, they were the exception, not the rule. I remember spending at least 3 nights a week at the Chapter House, virtually every week, for my four years at Cornell. I actually worked there with Kevin Pettit who tended bar sometimes in season and the place was always packed on weekends.

Posted by: css228 (---.sub-70-215-17.myvzw.com)
Date: February 04, 2013 11:31PM

dag14
The problem is that Dunbar's is only crowded for 2-3 hours 2 or 3 nights a week. So it probably isn't that profitable. That is one of the reasons there are so few bars in Collegetown these days.

Students drink where they live, and go out to Collegetown at 11 pm to be seen before hitting after-hours at a fraternity or apartment. And that is if you have ID [fake or otherwise] to get into a bar.

Back in the good old days, when the drinking age was 18, virtually everyone at Cornell, including all the fraternity boys, went out to party at the bars, arriving at 8 or 9, not 11 pm, and staying until closing. We did so for sure Thursday - Saturday, and the other nights of the week weren't completely off the table. While there were fraternity parties, they were the exception, not the rule. I remember spending at least 3 nights a week at the Chapter House, virtually every week, for my four years at Cornell. I actually worked there with Kevin Pettit who tended bar sometimes in season and the place was always packed on weekends.
Not true with Dunbars, I say they usually get a good crowd 4 nights a week. They're not open Mondays (or is it Sunday?). But Wednesday through Saturday, they are packed.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2013 12:03AM

gonyr
I really hope a possible new owner keeps it exactly the way it is. Although maybe purchasing a broom and a mop would be appropriate upgrades. Every college needs a true dive bar. For Cornell to have one that the Stanley Cup has visited is pretty special. I always make a point to stop in before last call when I'm back in Ithaca. It's truly comforting that Dunbar's has stayed the same all these years. And it seems just as crowded as ever, so it's I would assume it's probably financially viable to keep it running under new ownership. Anybody have an idea what the asking price is?
Looking to see what I could find, I stumbled on this listing for The Nines, which includes the building, for $2,950,000. The Burrito Place business is available for $97,500, presumably without the building. It's not clear from the Sun story whether it's the business or the building plus business that are for sale.

Posted by: Robb (---.lsanca54.static.covad.net)
Date: February 05, 2013 04:01AM

dag14

Reminds me of the dire straits facing English pubs, which are closing at calamitous rates. 20 years ago, 90+% of English beer was purchased in pubs (including takeout for consumption at home), but with the rise of American-style big box supermarkets (Tesco, Sainsbury's), the percentage is, IIRC, under 50% now.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.northlandsecurities.com)
Date: February 05, 2013 12:16PM

Does anyone know if Dave owns the building? I spent a lot of time there. Maybe I'll buy it with some Cornell buddies. I'd be much more interested if he owns the building. Probably not a good investment, but a good excuse for me to get to Ithaca more than once a year.

Would people be offended if some of the music in the jukebox wasn't 40+ years old? drunk

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2013 12:38PM

RatushnyFan
Does anyone know if Dave owns the building? I spent a lot of time there. Maybe I'll buy it with some Cornell buddies. I'd be much more interested if he owns the building. Probably not a good investment, but a good excuse for me to get to Ithaca more than once a year.

Would people be offended if some of the music in the jukebox wasn't 40+ years old? drunk
Yes. And don't even THINK about making American Pie one song.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 05, 2013 12:48PM

Josh '99
RatushnyFan

Yes. And don't even THINK about making American Pie one song.

Carly Rae on single-song repeat. Make it so.

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2013 02:30PM

I'm pretty confident he does not own the building.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2013 09:56AM

Robb
dag14

Reminds me of the dire straits facing English pubs, which are closing at calamitous rates. 20 years ago, 90+% of English beer was purchased in pubs (including takeout for consumption at home), but with the rise of American-style big box supermarkets (Tesco, Sainsbury's), the percentage is, IIRC, under 50% now.

There also seem to be a proliferation of clubs and American-style bars (loud music, small glasses), at least in the cities, for competition. Those places also used to be open later, but my understanding is that the 11pm pub closing time has been relaxed in recent years. Personally, I find people's apparent preferences in that area upside-down. Even in pubs (or gastro-pubs) you'll see e.g., a pint of real ale for 1.85 and a pint of Carlsberg for 2.10. (This was Cardiff a few years ago, so prices may be higher now...)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 07, 2013 11:57AM

RatushnyFan

You'll have to pry that from the Boomers' cold, dead fingers.

(Which is pretty much what's happening, here.)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 12, 2013 08:45AM

Truly the end of an era, but I can't say as I blame Pep.

Dunbar's was my "local" in Collegetown. I lived right around the corner on Dryden Rd. and was in there several nights a week. Usually I'd show up without a jacket because it was such a short walk. Friday happy hour I'd claim a seat right in front of the taps at 4 o'clock, and wouldn't leave until closing. I was such a regular that Dave would cash personal checks for me if I ran out of cash on the weekend (this was in the days before ATMs). I'll have to check, but I may still have a Dunbar's t-shirt or two in a drawer somewhere.

And a trivia question for you youngsters: Who was Dunbar?

Posted by: Robb (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2013 09:27AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Truly the end of an era, but I can't say as I blame Pep.

Dunbar's was my "local" in Collegetown. I lived right around the corner on Dryden Rd. and was in there several nights a week. Usually I'd show up without a jacket because it was such a short walk. Friday happy hour I'd claim a seat right in front of the taps at 4 o'clock, and wouldn't leave until closing. I was such a regular that Dave would cash personal checks for me if I ran out of cash on the weekend (this was in the days before ATMs). I'll have to check, but I may still have a Dunbar's t-shirt or two in a drawer somewhere.

I always just figured they named it that due to the color scheme of the bar...;)

Posted by: nyc94 (---.sub-174-236-79.myvzw.com)
Date: March 13, 2013 07:58AM

Jeff Hopkins '82

I don't know and would like to know if nobody answers!

Posted by: dag14 (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2013 08:00AM

Not just youngsters might be in the dark; some of us oldsters spent more time with Jim at the Chapter House than with Pep at Dunbar's....

Date: March 13, 2013 08:48AM

dag14
Not just youngsters might be in the dark; some of us oldsters spent more time with Jim at the Chapter House than with Pep at Dunbar's....

Or the Palms.

Date: March 13, 2013 09:14AM

And the answer is: Dunbar was Pep's dog at the time he bought the bar in 1979. He was a black lab and appeared on older t-shirts wearing a red scarf and sunglasses.

Date: March 13, 2013 09:20AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
And the answer is: Dunbar was Pep's dog at the time he bought the bar in 1979. He was a black lab and appeared on older t-shirts wearing a red scarf and sunglasses.

Cool. What was it before?

Posted by: nyc94 (---.sub-174-236-79.myvzw.com)
Date: March 13, 2013 10:57AM

Jeff Hopkins '82

I Googled Dunbar's when this thread started just to see if there was any other information. What I did stumble upon is that the business is incorporated as Dunbar's Fenway Tavern West. Any idea what that's about?

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: March 13, 2013 12:01PM

nyc94
Jeff Hopkins '82

I Googled Dunbar's when this thread started just to see if there was any other information. What I did stumble upon is that the business is incorporated as Dunbar's Fenway Tavern West. Any idea what that's about?

If the dog was a purebred and registered (like in the American Kennel Club), that might be the dog's formal name. Purebred/show dogs have very fancy names, but their "call name" is something short and easy like "Dunbar" or "Topher".

And if you are going to incorporate a business named after your dog, might as well go all the way.

Date: March 13, 2013 05:21PM

Rita
nyc94
Jeff Hopkins '82

If the dog was a purebred and registered (like in the American Kennel Club), that might be the dog's formal name. Purebred/show dogs have very fancy names, but their "call name" is something short and easy like "Dunbar" or "Topher".

And if you are going to incorporate a business named after your dog, might as well go all the way.

I know Pep is/was a Red Sox fan, so that fits, too.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 13, 2013 07:13PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Rita
nyc94
Jeff Hopkins '82

Really?!? Well, good riddance then!!! :-P

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nyc.gov)
Date: March 15, 2013 03:06PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

Is he a Red Sox fan? I know he HATES the Yankees, so that could just be part of the same spectrum. I always thought he was more of a Mets fan. Or just grumpy.

For the record, I'll be wearing my Dunbar's hat tonight, if anyone wants to find me. I don't have the dog shirt, but a number of my (slightly older) friends do, so I figured there was a dog involved in the naming somehow.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (24.229.69.---)
Date: March 16, 2013 09:12PM

Greenberg '97
Jeff Hopkins '82

Is he a Red Sox fan? I know he HATES the Yankees, so that could just be part of the same spectrum. I always thought he was more of a Mets fan. Or just grumpy.

For the record, I'll be wearing my Dunbar's hat tonight, if anyone wants to find me. I don't have the dog shirt, but a number of my (slightly older) friends do, so I figured there was a dog involved in the naming somehow.

Yeah, I know he likes the Mets, too. And I know he likes the Sox, but that may just be an artifact of hating the Yankees.

Date: March 16, 2013 09:19PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Greenberg '97
Jeff Hopkins '82

Yeah, I know he likes the Mets, too. And I know he likes the Sox, but that may just be an artifact of hating the Yankees.
He used to have drink specials for every Gooden strikeout, millions of years ago.

Posted by: Ivyman (---.amc.edu)
Date: April 10, 2013 11:27AM

Sheesh

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2013 03:33PM

Trotsky
He used to have drink specials for every Gooden strikeout, millions of years ago.
Now, specials for parole violations and re-arrests. No longer limited to any one player. It's continuous happy hour.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login