Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

The swim test

Posted by Weder 
The swim test
Posted by: Weder (---.atlanta.hp.com)
Date: November 29, 2012 01:05PM

Cornell's swim test gets the A-hed treatment in today's Wall Street Journal. For the record, I didn't take the swim test until spring semester of my senior year.

Re: The swim test
Posted by: jtn27 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2012 02:04PM

I always thought the swim test was a bare bones safety measure to prevent drowning in the campus gorges. Regardless of why we have it, it should remain in place because being able to swim is a valuable life skill. I actually thought the test was too easy and would be in favor of expanding the test from 3 laps to 10 or more (of course, maybe that's just because when I took the test I was fresh off 7+ years of swimming competitively).

Posted by: dag14 (---.ag.cornell.edu)
Date: November 29, 2012 02:36PM

This is the reason the swim test is still required: : [www.msnbc.msn.com]

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 29, 2012 03:08PM

jtn27
I always thought the swim test was a bare bones safety measure to prevent drowning in the campus gorges. Regardless of why we have it, it should remain in place because being able to swim is a valuable life skill. I actually thought the test was too easy and would be in favor of expanding the test from 3 laps to 10 or more (of course, maybe that's just because when I took the test I was fresh off 7+ years of swimming competitively).
As someone who was fresh off of 5+ years away from swimming I think the swim test was hard enough as is, thank you! :-)

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: November 29, 2012 03:35PM

There are plenty of basic life skills, many of which are more generally applicable than swimming, that are not required. The swim test is completely arbitrary. It's also arguably discriminatory, though that's probably a stretch. Swimming is a great skill that everyone should have but I don't think it makes anyone a more well-educated biologist or architect or whatever and shouldn't be tied to a degree.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2012 03:44PM

Chris '03
There are plenty of basic life skills, many of which are more generally applicable than swimming, that are not required. The swim test is completely arbitrary. It's also arguably discriminatory, though that's probably a stretch. Swimming is a great skill that everyone should have but I don't think it makes anyone a more well-educated biologist or architect or whatever and shouldn't be tied to a degree.

This is why we can't have nice things. rolleyes

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2012 03:52PM

Weder
Cornell's swim test gets the A-hed treatment in today's Wall Street Journal. For the record, I didn't take the swim test until spring semester of my senior year.

With graduation approaching this spring, Jessica McSweeney has a sinking feeling. A senior Human Development major at Cornell University, she has completed her required science and writing classes and looks forward to traveling this summer.

But one thing stands between the 21-year-old Ms. McSweeney and her diploma: three lengths in the school's 25-yard swimming pool.

Cornell students must take the plunge in order to graduate, either by passing a swim test or enrolling in a beginner's swim class. Ms. McSweeney, who hasn't been in a pool much since grade school, is less than lukewarm on the tradition.

"I guess it's a noble skill to have," she says, "but I don't intend to be a water-going person."

"You go through four years of classes. I don't think three lengths of the pool should decide whether or not you get a diploma," says Corey Minerva, a 2010 Cornell graduate who put off his test until senior year.
Why focus only on two Cornellians who put it off until the very last minute instead of finding one of the thousands who had enough foresight to take the class as freshmen or sophomores and said "well that was no big deal"?

Date: November 29, 2012 03:56PM

Josh '99
Why focus only on two Cornellians who put it off until the very last minute instead of finding one of the thousands who had enough foresight to take the class as freshmen or sophomores and said "well that was no big deal"?

Because a bunch of quotes of people saying "It wasn't a big deal" and "I completely forgot about it; it was years ago" makes for a boring read.

Date: November 29, 2012 04:25PM

jtn27
Josh '99

Because a bunch of quotes of people saying "It wasn't a big deal" and "I completely forgot about it; it was years ago" makes for a boring read.
In which case, maybe there didn't need to be an article about it in the first place.

Posted by: Willy '06 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2012 04:47PM

I definitely saw people puking after the swim test my Freshman year.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 29, 2012 08:02PM

Never took it. I was never asked to. I have no idea if it isn't a requirement for transfers but... no swim test.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2012 08:29PM

Not a requirement for transfer students.

Posted by: cth95 (---.sub-70-192-4.myvzw.com)
Date: November 29, 2012 10:36PM

Speaking of puking, I took the swim test shortly after running windshield wipers (picture the motion of running back and forth) up and over the Crescent concourse stairs for crew tryouts. I wasn't a fast swimmer, but I still should have passed the test relatively easily. Instead I was getting passed by people in the next group and almost couldn't finish. I started to worry that I was going to have to take the phys ed class if I didn't drown in the middle of the pool first. When I finely finished, I was barely able to pull myself out of the pool and nearly puked in a nearby garbage can.

I thought it was only two laps when I did it in the fall of '90, but maybe I am remembering incorrectly. If it was more than that, than I feel better about being totally shot :)

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 29, 2012 10:49PM

cth95
I thought it was only two laps when I did it in the fall of '90, but maybe I am remembering incorrectly. If it was more than that, than I feel better about being totally shot :)
It was 3 laps in 1994. I wasn't at all in shape or even much of a swimmer. I thought it was easy and pointless, and I imagine I would still think it easy and pointless.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2012 01:12AM

cth95
Speaking of puking, I took the swim test shortly after eating half a pizza to get over my hangover. I wasn't a fast swimmer, but I still should have passed the test relatively easily. Instead I was getting passed by people in the next group and almost couldn't finish. I started to worry that I was going to have to take the phys ed class if I didn't drown in the middle of the pool first. When I finely finished, I was barely able to pull myself out of the pool and nearly puked in a nearby garbage can.

I had almost exactly the same experience.

Btw, the author of this article is a Cornellian.

Posted by: Robb (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2012 07:07AM

Chris '03
Sure, but wine-tasting - now that's a valuable skill for an architect...

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 30, 2012 08:00AM

I don't remember 3 laps. I remember just once across the pool. I could be wrong though.

What I do remember was that if you didn't pass, taking swimming for gym was mandatory your first semester.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2012 09:52AM

Chris '03
The biggest lifesavers would be serious driver training (#1 killer until about age 25) and a course on physical fitness (ie gym class) and eating well or maybe combine the two. The WSJ's most telling quote was about swimming skills being passed down by families so your parents didn't swim, maybe you don't, and the swim test / mandatory swimming class breaks the cycle of drowning-candidates.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 30, 2012 11:06AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I don't remember 3 laps. I remember just once across the pool.
That's what I remember, too. I also remember for some reason there was no place to change at Teagle so we had to use lockers at Barton and then cross the road. It was, of course, January. I don't think I have ever been that cold again.

Date: November 30, 2012 11:10AM

billhoward
The WSJ's most telling quote was about swimming skills being passed down by families so your parents didn't swim, maybe you don't, and the swim test / mandatory swimming class breaks the cycle of drowning-candidates.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: November 30, 2012 11:37AM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
That's what I remember, too. I also remember for some reason there was no place to change at Teagle so we had to use lockers at Barton and then cross the road. It was, of course, January. I don't think I have ever been that cold again.

And I guess you didn't know about the tunnel as a freshman.

Date: November 30, 2012 11:39AM

RichH
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82

And I guess you didn't know about the tunnel as a freshman.

Yeah, I wondered why I was the only one walking... ;)

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2012 01:31PM

So RPI wasn't the only place that had this dumb requirement! In order to pass Phys Ed I, we had to pass a swimming test, and we had to pass Phys Ed I-IV to graduate, although I never heard of anyone not graduating because of this requirement. The test consisted of jumping in from the side of the pool, swimming one lamp normally and then one lap on the back. (I remember because it took me four semesters of remedial swimming to pass.)

Supposedly because it kept the pool cleaner, swimming had to be done in the nude. I better add that the few women at RPI at the time were exempt from gym class, as were members of ROTC and members of athletic teams in semesters when their team played.

This topic has come up on USCHO, and the Phys Ed requirement has been eliminated. I assume that the swimming requirement has gone with it.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 30, 2012 01:52PM

dag14
Not a requirement for transfer students.
Not that a swim test makes sense in the first place but exempting transfer students is definitely odd. Were they afraid that 5 semesters wasn't enough time to learn to dog paddle?

Date: November 30, 2012 02:59PM

ursusminor
Supposedly because it kept the pool cleaner, swimming had to be done in the nude.
uhoh

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 30, 2012 03:43PM

ursusminor
So RPI wasn't the only place that had this dumb requirement!

My father was at RPI in the early 50s. He said he took the swim test at least one additional time on behalf of a fraternity brother that couldn't swim.

Posted by: dag14 (---.ag.cornell.edu)
Date: November 30, 2012 04:21PM

Transfer students are exempt from the Phys Ed requirement and swim test is part of the PE requirement so I assume that is the rationale. I agree it is somewhat illogical if one is going to impose the requirement on first-year matriculants. But it also doesn't apply to grad students. Or faculty and staff, for that matter.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2012 04:55PM

Trotsky
billhoward
The WSJ's most telling quote was about swimming skills being passed down by families so your parents didn't swim, maybe you don't, and the swim test / mandatory swimming class breaks the cycle of drowning-candidates.
This would be from [www.despair.com], yes? No matter how crappy my day is going, the site quickly resolves depression, one way or the other.

Date: November 30, 2012 05:33PM

dag14
Transfer students are exempt from the Phys Ed requirement and swim test is part of the PE requirement so I assume that is the rationale. I agree it is somewhat illogical if one is going to impose the requirement on first-year matriculants. But it also doesn't apply to grad students. Or faculty and staff, for that matter.

President Skorton (voluntarily) took the swim test. Wouldn't it be hilarious if it was mandatory for all professors to take it? (Although I suppose that might hinder the University's ability to recruit new professors).

Image source: [swimtest.cornell.edu]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2012 05:33PM by jtn27.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 30, 2012 05:37PM

billhoward
The biggest lifesavers would be ... eating well
Good luck getting enough of a consensus on that to be able to teach people how to eat well.

Posted by: munchkin (---.som-wlan.simmons.edu)
Date: December 06, 2012 09:30AM

I used to lifeguard the test - it has always been 3 laps. I think my favorite kids were the ones after two days on campus were saying, "I've got to keep my repuation, that's why I'm still drunk/hungover and am having trouble swimming, and I've still got to go out tonight, will gatorade fix this?" They seem to think their party status will be irrevokably damaged if they take one night off after having their blood pressure plummet or sky rocket from 75 yards.

The reason it's three laps is you have one set of kids climbing out at the shallow end while the next set are jumping in at the deep end. It's one lap on the front, one lap on the back, and the third lap is choice. I happened to take my test with a number of other former swimmers/lifeguards and we did IM order minus free (back, breast, and fly), we were asses.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2012 01:30PM

Willy '06
I definitely saw people puking after the swim test my Freshman year.

That's because you took your shirt off. (Yeah I got nothin'.)

I remember during mine it was after walking all the way up from West Campus, while it was raining, still on a new campus, so it was kind of wierd experience. I did the 3 lengths without much problem, but it took me like 10 attempts to actually lift myself out of the pool for some reason.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 13, 2012 12:12AM

My swim test happened on my move-in day. I remember being impressed by the size of the Teagle locker room... The row of urinals in there is remarkably long--even longer than the one in Barton, if I recall. My parents, god bless them, insisted on watching from the stands. The test itself was fine for me, and I don't think I witnessed anyone not make it. I don't believe in maintaining traditions just for the sake of the traditions, but I think the swim test is worth holding on to.

Date: December 13, 2012 09:42AM

imafrshmn
My swim test happened on my move-in day. I remember being impressed by the size of the Teagle locker room... The row of urinals in there is remarkably long--even longer than the one in Barton, if I recall. My parents, god bless them, insisted on watching from the stands. The test itself was fine for me, and I don't think I witnessed anyone not make it. I don't believe in maintaining traditions just for the sake of the traditions, but I think the swim test is worth holding on to.

Your parents watching your swim test is possibly the cutest thing I've ever heard. It's like something out of a Harold Lloyd movie. Bravo to them. I would like to think they were heckling the whole time.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 13, 2012 04:56PM

imafrshmn
I always found the row of toilet stalls without doors to be more impressive. Not in a good way.

Date: December 14, 2012 10:50AM

Trotsky
imafrshmn

Your parents watching your swim test is possibly the cutest thing I've ever heard. It's like something out of a Harold Lloyd movie. Bravo to them. I would like to think they were heckling the whole time.

"My son is a better swimmer than you! You're going to fail the swim test! DROWN! DROWN! DROWN!"

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2012 12:32PM

jtn27
Trotsky
imafrshmn

"My son is a better swimmer than you! You're going to fail the swim test! DROWN! DROWN! DROWN!"

"Stroke, stroke, stroke, stroke, tuuuuuuuurn, ..."

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: December 14, 2012 02:43PM

French Rage
jtn27
Trotsky
imafrshmn

"Stroke, stroke, stroke, stroke, tuuuuuuuurn, ..."

Rec'd.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 16, 2012 08:03PM

Which son is the swimming son? This son is the swimming son!
Which son is the drowning son? This son is the drowning son!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login