Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

The Ivy League Flunks Out

Posted by George64 
The Ivy League Flunks Out
Posted by: George64 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 09, 2023 12:09PM

With hockey in hiatus and David Archer replaced, it’s time for other things Ivy League, to wit, the pathetic performances by the presidents of Harvard and Penn before Congress. Maureen Dowd summed it up nicely in her Times op ed. BTW, both used the same white-shoe law firm.

Say what you will about Martha Pollack, at least she hasn’t embarrassed herself in front Congress like the mealymouthed presidents of our brethren institutions . As she stated unequivocally, in early November, “We will not tolerate antisemitism at Cornell; indeed we will not tolerate hatred of any form, including racism or Islamophobia.” Maybe Cornell just has better lawyers.

In order to keep this apolitical, I won’t say anything about Ivy League alums, representative Stefanik and senators DeSantis, Hawley, Cruz . . .

Re: The Ivy League Flunks Out
Date: December 09, 2023 09:06PM

George64
With hockey in hiatus and David Archer replaced, it’s time for other things Ivy League, to wit, the pathetic performances by the presidents of Harvard and Penn before Congress. Maureen Dowd summed it up nicely in her Times op ed. BTW, both used the same white-shoe law firm.

Say what you will about Martha Pollack, at least she hasn’t embarrassed herself in front Congress like the mealymouthed presidents of our brethren institutions . As she stated unequivocally, in early November, “We will not tolerate antisemitism at Cornell; indeed we will not tolerate hatred of any form, including racism or Islamophobia.” Maybe Cornell just has better lawyers.

First Penn loses its OC to Cornell, now president, Elizabeth Magill, and the chairman of its board of trustees resign after intense pressure from donors, politicians and alumni. Go Quakers!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2023 10:21AM by George64.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 10, 2023 09:52AM

Let's stop before this starts.

The virtue of the Cafe is not knowing for sure who is a dumbass. That way we can root together without feeling animosity or pity.

So let's not.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2023 09:52AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: underskill (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 10, 2023 10:15AM

The rot starts at the top but it can’t just be the presidents who are forced out. We need the trustees and admins out as well.

Posted by: Iceberg (172.56.218.---)
Date: December 10, 2023 12:01PM

Penn (not counting the massive healthcare arm) is such a bubble in the city that I only heard about this when Huntsman basically called for Magill's head.

Date: January 03, 2024 12:25PM

George64
George64

First Penn loses its OC to Cornell, now president, Elizabeth Magill, and the chairman of its board of trustees resign after intense pressure from donors, politicians and alumni. Go Quakers!

Now, Harvard’s president resigns. While I despise her antagonist, Elise Stefanik, Claudine Gay’s response to a simple question was truly insipid. As a pundit said, “She was over-lawyered.” Can’t a Harvard graduate think for herself!

As to plagiarism, technically she’s guilty and in violation of the Harvard student code of conduct. It’s now going to be very difficult to reprimand a student for doing the same. I say, “A plague on both your Harvard’s houses.” That said, lifting several sentences verbatim is stupid or, at best, lazy, but it’s not the same as stealing someone’s seminal idea and passing it off as ones own. At least, she doesn’t appear to be guilty of that. Nonetheless, Harvard still sucks.

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: January 03, 2024 02:39PM

George64
the Harvard student code of conduct

Has anyone ever been able to say these words with a straight face?

Posted by: marty (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 06, 2024 10:04AM

George64
George64
George64

Now, Harvard’s president resigns. While I despise her antagonist, Elise Stefanik, Claudine Gay’s response to a simple question was truly insipid. As a pundit said, “She was over-lawyered.” Can’t a Harvard graduate think for herself!

As to plagiarism, technically she’s guilty and in violation of the Harvard student code of conduct. It’s now going to be very difficult to reprimand a student for doing the same. I say, “A plague on both your Harvard’s houses.” That said, lifting several sentences verbatim is stupid or, at best, lazy, but it’s not the same as stealing someone’s seminal idea and passing it off as ones own. At least, she doesn’t appear to be guilty of that. Nonetheless, Harvard still sucks.

The lifting of ideas from others in her papers was mimicked in her testimony. She regurgitated the BS her overpaid attorneys gave her during their prep.

Date: January 06, 2024 06:36PM

She could have said "freedom of expression means what it says, asshole" and walked out. But she equivocated like every mealy-mouthed corporate-academic President or Provost of the last 30 years would, and she wrote her own death sentence.

Good riddance.

Date: January 06, 2024 07:41PM

Trotsky
She could have said "freedom of expression means what it says, asshole" and walked out. But she equivocated like every mealy-mouthed corporate-academic President or Provost of the last 30 years would, and she wrote her own death sentence.

Good riddance.

I like Martha Pollack’s written response when asked by some members of Congress to make clear Cornell’s policies on genocide. “Genocide is abhorrent, and Cornell condemns calls for the genocide of any people. An explicit call for genocide, to kill all members of a group of people, would be a violation of our policies.” Fittingly succinct, nothing about “context.” Of course, she might have added “Fuck you, assholes!” for emphasis.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2024 08:37PM

George64
Trotsky

Good riddance.

I like Martha Pollack’s written response when asked by some members of Congress to make clear Cornell’s policies on genocide. “Genocide is abhorrent, and Cornell condemns calls for the genocide of any people. An explicit call for genocide, to kill all members of a group of people, would be a violation of our policies.” Fittingly succinct, nothing about “context.” Of course, she might have added “Fuck you, assholes!” for emphasis.
Nice...but I keep hearing she hates football!rolleyes

Date: January 06, 2024 10:22PM

Al DeFlorio
George64

Nice...but I keep hearing she hates football!rolleyes

It’s rumored that’s why she left Michigan.

Date: January 25, 2024 11:39AM

George64
Trotsky

Good riddance.

Now, former Cornell trustee, Jon Lindseth ‘56, is calling for the ouster of President Pollack and Provost Kotlikoff. Cornell Sun article

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: January 25, 2024 12:21PM

George64
Now, former Cornell trustee, Jon Lindseth ‘56, is calling for the ouster of President Pollack and Provost Kotlikoff. Cornell Sun article

The Voice of Treason is all over it. The only time the fasc mention Cornell they're jamming us into their imbecile narratives. (I mean, I guess that's true of everything.)

What's the decorous way for Cornell to send him a letter telling him GFY?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2024 12:23PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 25, 2024 01:30PM

Trotsky
George64

The Voice of Treason is all over it. The only time the fasc mention Cornell they're jamming us into their imbecile narratives. (I mean, I guess that's true of everything.)

What's the decorous way for Cornell to send him a letter telling him GFY?

Unfortunately, James N. Bailey, Esq. has long since retired.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2024 02:25PM

It's a "Make The Ivies Great Again" group, lol.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 26, 2024 09:40PM

DEI is the root of all that is wrong with today's academic institutions. People are so god damn afraid of the cancel culture. I told them to go fuck themselves and retired.

Date: January 26, 2024 09:55PM

Uh huh. Cancel culture. That's the problem.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: January 26, 2024 11:25PM

Gee, I wonder what those letters stand for? Must be some horrific concepts to have such a reaction.

Date: January 26, 2024 11:33PM

Well when your told if you misgender someone you may face discipline. How the hell is anyone supposed to know the gender identity of over 16,000 students ? It's at that point you realize just how fucked up the campus is and did I really want to be part of that nonsense. My response was nope, so I removed myself from the dumpster fire.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-216-243.myvzw.com)
Date: January 27, 2024 01:14AM

Yes god forbid an officer should be asked to respect the people he is supposed to serve. F that! I’ll call them Whatever I damn well please. I quit!

Diversity. Horrors! Equity. Terrible!!! Inclusion. Unacceptable!!

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: January 27, 2024 02:15AM

Hmm. I could make some “real victim” crack, but instead, I’ll just say to CaL that I respect their place as long-standing poster here who has value in this space. I just took a beat and seriously thought about the point of view they presented.

I feel bad that you’ve been hurt or offended by the changing times, even though I think you’re not fully seeing why changing policies are important in society. Heck, I’ve had to make adjustments to my own viewpoints — It’s not the easiest or most comfortable thing. If things like respecting people for who they are warrants calling a community that tries to adhere to such a concept a “fucked up dumpster fire,” then all I can ask is to try to consider toning down the resentment and grievance politics just a bit.

Good luck in retirement and thanks for your past service to the campus and your presence on this forum.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 27, 2024 03:42AM

He’s right though. Threatening a police officer with discipline because he calls a woman “she” or “her”? Get a grip.

Date: January 27, 2024 07:54AM

For the record I didn't "quit". I retired after 34 years of working nights, weekends and Holidays.

Posted by: BigRedBrouhaha (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2024 11:46AM

CU2007
He’s right though. Threatening a police officer with discipline because he calls a woman “she” or “her”? Get a grip.

Imagine getting angry enough to be against diversity, equity and inclusion because someone asked you to say "they" instead of "she" or "he". Talk about get a grip.

Posted by: TimV (---.inf.spectrum.com)
Date: January 27, 2024 03:59PM

BigRedBrouhaha
CU2007

Imagine getting angry enough to be against diversity, equity and inclusion because someone asked you to say "they" instead of "she" or "he". Talk about get a grip.

I think what got to Cop at Lynah was the threat of being punished for an innocent mistake, that (to him) was trivial.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 27, 2024 07:53PM

TimV
BigRedBrouhaha
CU2007

I think what got to Cop at Lynah was the threat of being punished for an innocent mistake, that (to him) was trivial.

Thought that was clear but go off brouhaha. Quite a leap from saying someone’s livelihood shouldn’t be threatened over a pronoun to being against DEI.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2024 12:44AM

TimV
BigRedBrouhaha
CU2007

nobody, and i mean *nobody* has ever gotten canned over an innocent mistake. stop listening to morons, it makes you dumber and more afraid.

Posted by: marty (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 28, 2024 08:09AM

ugarte
TimV
BigRedBrouhaha
CU2007

nobody, and i mean *nobody* has ever gotten canned over an innocent mistake. stop listening to morons, it makes you dumber and more afraid.

I'm so glad we never get into politics on eLynah. :-(

Posted by: TimV (---.inf.spectrum.com)
Date: January 28, 2024 09:33AM

ugarte
TimV
BigRedBrouhaha
CU2007

I said "punished" not "canned." And HIS point of view. So is it your testimony, sir, that in the long history of medical malpractice, employment, and other civil verdicts, NO ONE has ever been punished for an innocent mistake?

Date: January 28, 2024 10:00AM

marty
ugarte
TimV
BigRedBrouhaha
CU2007

I'm so glad we never get into politics on eLynah. :-(

JSiD is a crapshoot.

Date: January 28, 2024 10:01AM

ugarte
stop listening to morons, it makes you dumber and more afraid.

These are extremely well chosen words.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2024 03:04PM

TimV
ugarte
TimV
BigRedBrouhaha
CU2007

I said "punished" not "canned." And HIS point of view. So is it your testimony, sir, that in the long history of medical malpractice, employment, and other civil verdicts, NO ONE has ever been punished for an innocent mistake?
Tim, with all due respect, shut the fuck up. if you plan to be this stupid out loud in the future.

Date: February 01, 2024 09:29AM

George64
George64
Trotsky

Good riddance.

Cornell Board - “Stick it in your ear, Jon!” Good for them!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login