Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Internet speed question for the cognoscenti

Posted by Trotsky 
Internet speed question for the cognoscenti
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2011 05:43PM

My internet connection runs (per Speakeasy) about 25 Mbps download after I cycle the power on the router. However, it immediately begins to degrade at about 15-20% per hour and it will sink all the way below 1 Mbps after a couple days. By cycling the power, bam, right back up to 25 and then another slow decline.

1. What's making it slow down like that?

2. Is that normal? Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks.

Re: Internet speed question for the cognoscenti
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2011 10:22PM

Trotsky
My internet connection runs (per Speakeasy) about 25 Mbps download after I cycle the power on the router. However, it immediately begins to degrade at about 15-20% per hour and it will sink all the way below 1 Mbps after a couple days. By cycling the power, bam, right back up to 25 and then another slow decline.

Thanks.
This is a fairly default suggestion rather than one based on having dealt with your specific issue in the past, but have you tried updating the firmware on your router?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: May 16, 2011 12:32PM

Josh '99
Trotsky

Thanks.
This is a fairly default suggestion rather than one based on having dealt with your specific issue in the past, but have you tried updating the firmware on your router?
Nope (now I will). You're suggesting it's actually the router that's the problem (Cisco Linksys WRT300N), not the connection, right?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2011 10:50PM

Trotsky
Josh '99
Trotsky

Thanks.
Nope (now I will). You're suggesting it's actually the router that's the problem (Cisco Linksys WRT300N), not the connection, right?
Based on the fact that restarting the router fixes the problem temporarily, I would guess that it is a problem with the router, yes. Plus because presumably you own the router and not the cable modem (or whatever), it's easier to address problems with the router yourself to start with.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: May 17, 2011 12:21PM

Updating the firmware seems to have helped. Considering the old version was more than 2 years out of date...

Thanks very much!

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: May 17, 2011 05:38PM

This is a bit of drift, but when 802.11n routers started popping up, I decided to make the switch and I can't tell you how many trips I made to Staples and back and Best Buy and back, pretty much starting from one end of the rack and ending up at the other, with much exasperation along the way. Either performance was terrible, range was terrible, the connection was unstable, or all of the above. After Cisco bought Linksys, their hardware seemed to be pretty good, but they've gone downhill with the rest of them in recent years. My last ditch attempt was with an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. I'm not sure why that was my last resort being an Apple guy and all, but I was suspicious about the lack of antennae. They're also not cheap, but I had certainly tried more expensive options from other companies. Well, I was simply blown away. Much better range than all the others hands-down, excellent performance, easy-to-use administration, and I don't think it's gotten reboots outside of very occasional firmware updates and power outages in years. I eventually got an Airport Express to extend my network to one of the far reaches of my house and it couldn't have been easier to set up. They're platform agnostic and I couldn't be happier with the hardware, so when it's time for a new wireless router, do yourself a favor and avoid the headaches.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: May 18, 2011 12:19PM

I use a WRT600N with the dd-wrt firmware, and the thing has been running rock-solid for over 2 years.

The best solution to crappy Linksys firmware is not to use it.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: May 25, 2011 10:59AM

I bricked my Linksys router trying to install the dd-wrt firmware. That's what sent me looking for a new one in the first place.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2011 07:03AM

I think you've got the right answers already. But: Is it possible your ISP is throttling you after a burst of activity to teach you a lesson?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login