Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell in the Movies

Posted by Jeff Hopkins '82 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cornell in the Movies
Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2022 08:30PM

I streamed the second episode of The Sinner last night. When the lead detective talks with the murder victim’s parents, the mother mentions that her dead son went to Cornell and worked “a hundred hours a week.” BTW, he got into medical school.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: December 14, 2022 12:02PM

the ATF agent in the new Stallone series Tulsa King graduated from Cornell in political science.. maybe they work in a Cornell reference one day

Date: January 05, 2023 09:18PM

A Cornell Hotelee just got a job working at the BNB on the tv show Ghosts ,,

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.45.21.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 05, 2023 10:35PM

upprdeck

Was he/she alive? faint

Posted by: French Rage (165.225.243.---)
Date: January 05, 2023 11:54PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
upprdeck

Was he/she alive? faint

Yes. And apparently *not* a murderer!

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2023 04:16PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
upprdeck
Was he/she alive? faint
Cripe! For a moment I confused this with the shows of the Paranormal channel, which on our Verizon system you get to if you go one channel down below HGTV to Magnolia (sort of HGTV meets Jesus Loves You) to a Guy Fieri channel (warning it's getting weirder) to Paranormal. So you were warned.

Date: January 22, 2023 11:54AM

Movie to be released in July, Oppenheimer, “The epic thriller chronicles the life of J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic American scientist who ran the Manhattan Project — which led to the creation of the atomic bomb during World War II.“ As Hans Bethe, Richard Feynman and Paul Olum (had a class with him, BTW) all worked on the Manhattan Project, I think Cornell may get a mention. Even if not, sounds like an interesting movie.

Date: January 22, 2023 12:24PM

George64
Movie to be released in July, Oppenheimer, “The epic thriller chronicles the life of J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic American scientist who ran the Manhattan Project — which led to the creation of the atomic bomb during World War II.“ As Hans Bethe, Richard Feynman and Paul Olum (had a class with him, BTW) all worked on the Manhattan Project, I think Cornell may get a mention. Even if not, sounds like an interesting movie.

Also, Dale Corson (CU president, 1969–1977) and Robert Wilson (synchrotron) worked on the Manhattan Project.

Posted by: David Harding (76.150.68.---)
Date: January 22, 2023 10:17PM

George64
George64

Also, Dale Corson (CU president, 1969–1977) and Robert Wilson (synchrotron) worked on the Manhattan Project.
Also Professors Kenneth Greisen, John DeWire, William Woodward, Lyman Parrot, and Boyce McDaniel. Those are ones I crossed paths with in addition to some of the above. There's a longer list on [en.wikipedia.org].

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.241.---)
Date: January 24, 2023 02:54PM

David Harding
George64
George64

Also Professors Kenneth Greisen, John DeWire, William Woodward, Lyman Parrot, and Boyce McDaniel. Those are ones I crossed paths with in addition to some of the above. There's a longer list on [en.wikipedia.org].

and George Santos also made significant contributions.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (114.23.223.---)
Date: January 26, 2023 01:47AM

Roy 82
David Harding
George64
George64

He calculated the drag coefficient.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2023 05:55AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Roy 82
David Harding
George64
George64

He calculated the drag coefficient.
That jerk.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2023 10:18PM

Roy 82
David Harding
George64
George64

A+

Date: January 27, 2023 11:00PM

In White Lotus, perhaps the most obnoxious character, among a host of really unlikable characters, Shane Patton, apparently went to Cornell, at least he wears a Cornell cap in episode 4, season 1. His put-upon wife, who’s the only likable character so far, went to SUNY Potsdam.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2023 10:23AM by George64.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2023 06:23AM

George64
In White Lotus, perhaps the most obnoxious character, among a host of really unlikable characters, Shane Patton, apparently went to Cornell, at least he wears a Cornell cap in episode 4, season 1. His put-upon wife, who’s the only likable character so far, went to SUNY Potsdam.
In season 2, the similarly (or even more) obnoxious character went to Yale. Mike White, the creator/director of White Lotus, went to Wesleyan.

Date: February 04, 2023 10:06AM

Early on in Inspector Morse, season 1, episode 2, Donald Martin, who turns out to be the killer, has a Cornell pennant in his Oxford office.

Date: February 18, 2023 05:02PM

Not exactly a movie, but I stumbled on this kinescope from an early Merv Griffin Show that features the Chapin Brothers. Merv gives a shoutout to Cornell, but by 1965, classmate Harry Chapin was long gone from the Hill. We used to kid him, if don’t quit balladeering all the time, you’ll bust out and never be successful. Well, we were partly right. He returned in 1972, along with Phil Ochs and Eric Weissberg (Dueling Banjos), for a Barton Hall concert benefitting Ramsey Clark, who was vying for the Democrat nomination for president.

Harry’s family lived in the Bronx, so during my sophomore year, I drove Harry home several times on my way to Long Island. During his freshman year, he apparently took the Greyhound, as did I, that went through Scranton (30,000 Pounds of Bananas). Another of his popular songs was Old College Avenue. He tragically died in 1981, when the VW he was driving was rear-ended on the LIE.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2023 05:39PM by George64.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2023 10:34PM

On a recent episode of the rebooted “Quantum Leap,” “Live. Die. Repeat.” (S1E11), we get about a 1/2 second glimpse of a Cornell diploma on the wall in nuclear physicist (played by Robert Picardo) Dr. Woolsey’s office. Looking on pause, I’m not even sure they went to the trouble of getting one that credibly looks like it says “Woolsey,” but it was a nice detail.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-231-52.myvzw.com)
Date: February 24, 2023 02:59PM

Beeeej
On a recent episode of the rebooted “Quantum Leap,” “Live. Die. Repeat.” (S1E11), we get about a 1/2 second glimpse of a Cornell diploma on the wall in nuclear physicist (played by Robert Picardo) Dr. Woolsey’s office. Looking on pause, I’m not even sure they went to the trouble of getting one that credibly looks like it says “Woolsey,” but it was a nice detail.

So there is a Quantum Leap reboot. Are there still 500 different series to choose from? I don't know which show is my favorite this year because I'm sure I haven't watched it.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2023 03:15PM

marty
Beeeej

So there is a Quantum Leap reboot. Are there still 500 different series to choose from? I don't know which show is my favorite this year because I'm sure I haven't watched it.

Yes, and it's not a reimagining; it takes place in the present, thirty years after Sam Beckett's "final" disappearance. It has its weaknesses, but its two greatest strengths are a) a larger regular cast, since we get to see the Quantum Leap staff every episode along with the person leaping, and b) an underlying story arc. It's been renewed for a second season, so I guess enough people are enjoying it. Scott Bakula declined to be involved, apparently after much soul-searching; we'll see if that lasts the duration of the series.

And yes, there are still far too many original TV series for any one person to keep up with, but we try anyway.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2023 03:17PM by Beeeej.

Date: February 24, 2023 03:20PM

My hope is that Quantum leap finds out when its gonna end with enough time to get Bakula into some kind of ending for his char. if its next yr to 5 yrs from now. Even if he wont come back to film anything they can do something with it

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2023 03:47PM

Maybe in some alternate reality, he already has

Posted by: Dunc (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: February 25, 2023 07:13PM

This tournament feels relevant lol:

[docs.google.com]

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2023 10:19AM

I am very proud of the fact that most of those entries mean nothing to me.

Date: March 05, 2023 11:33AM

Perhaps the definitive Cornell in the Movies list, courtesy of Corey Earle ‘07

Here are the downloadable brackets.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2023 04:24PM by George64.

Date: March 05, 2023 05:08PM

Waiting for the ECAC playoffs to resume — Love Story

Date: March 05, 2023 06:21PM

Those characters are both so magnificently punchable. But the movie does provide a valuable public service in demonstrating that, regardless of social caste, Harvard always has sucked and always will suck.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2023 06:22PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: French Rage (165.225.243.---)
Date: April 12, 2023 02:52PM

Rob Lowe's son's character in Unstable on Netflix went to Cornell and there's a quick clip of Rob Lowe's character giving a commencement speech at Cornell.

Date: May 22, 2023 08:25AM

In So Help Me Todd the leads Girlfriend is now attending Cornell.

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: May 22, 2023 11:30AM

So, Hollwood uses Harvard and Princeton to indicate privilege and Yale and MIT to indicate intelligence. What are they conveying when they connect a character to Cornell? Is it "smart but relateable"?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2023 11:31AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: May 22, 2023 01:56PM

Trotsky
So, Hollwood uses Harvard and Princeton to indicate privilege and Yale and MIT to indicate intelligence. What are they conveying when they connect a character to Cornell? Is it "smart but relateable"?

Smart but did not live up to their potential (or did not have the right connections).

(I’m reminded of the scene in the Netflix comedy Never Have I Ever from Mindy Kaling where the college consultant throws the Penn and Cornell mascots into the trash.)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2023 01:58PM by Weder.

Date: May 22, 2023 02:37PM

Is there any distinction between Eng (best Ivy to go to, smart and perhaps Asian kid) vs A&S (Oh... So close, honeybunny. Maybe next year in New Haven)?

Date: July 18, 2023 12:15PM

George64

Oppenheimer opens in theaters July 21. Portrayed Cornell faculty include Hans Bethe (Gustaf Skarsgard), Philip Morrison (Harrison Gilbertson) and Richard Feynman (Jack Quaid), also Nobel Laureate, Isidor Isaac Rabi, BS ‘19 (David Krumholtz).

While at Cornell, Feynman lived at Telluride House, where he said “it's there that I did the fundamental work" for which he won the Nobel Prize in 1965.

Date: July 18, 2023 12:55PM

My first assignment as a freshman Cornell journalism student was to interview Hans Bethe.

I hope I was not a total jackwagon, but I have my fears.

(My second was Jason Seley -- one of the most wonderful people I ever met. He died only about a year later.)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2023 12:56PM by Trotsky.

Date: July 18, 2023 01:54PM

Jason Seley ‘40, But where can I get bumpers this big?

Date: July 19, 2023 10:04AM

Here's a few:

Date: October 03, 2023 07:17PM

I was listening to XM radio and the radioclassic channel had a green hornet episode they were deciphering a clue of conrad and realized it wasnt a name but a phone number. it was CO 6723.. the CO was the exchange for CORNELL.. I think it was a mid 40s episode.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2023 10:11PM

A new film festival in Ithaca cerebrates silent movies. [ithacavoice.org]

Posted by: Dunc (199.79.156.---)
Date: October 03, 2023 10:54PM

David Harding
A new film festival in Ithaca cerebrates silent movies. [ithacavoice.org]

Silent City Film Festival for anyone interested:

[www.silentcityfilmfestival.com]

Screening most films at Deep Dive along with a few features at Cinemapolis

Date: October 05, 2023 03:03PM

upprdeck
I was listening to XM radio and the radioclassic channel had a green hornet episode they were deciphering a clue of conrad and realized it wasnt a name but a phone number. it was CO 6723.. the CO was the exchange for CORNELL.. I think it was a mid 40s episode.

One of a number of excellent series on XM Classic, along with Johnny Dollar, Escape, Suspense, Broadway is My Beat, Lights Out, X Minus One, Quiet Please. God bless Greg Bell.

Date: October 10, 2023 11:37AM

The book, Boys in the Boat, was great, the documentary was great, the movie should be terrific, too.

[fb.watch]

As I recall, Cornell was prominently mentioned in the book, so we should get a mention in the movie.

Date: October 13, 2023 01:15PM

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: October 13, 2023 05:58PM

Love it. Although when I was there, the biggest right-winger didn't wear bow-ties. He wore a monocolor double-knit shirt with monocolor slacks of exactly the same color (as in a kelly green shirt with kelly green slacks). Think "Revenge of the Nerds."

Date: November 21, 2023 12:22PM

Not exactly Cornell in the Movies, but this morning I heard a song by the Chapin Brothers, Blood Water, that explicitly mentions Cornell.

[spoken intro]
In the Spring of 1964, at Cornell University
a young girl fell 98 feet to her death
in one of the gorges adjoining the campus
It is the custom at Spring Weekend
For the faternities to dye the gorges a color
And that year it happened to be red.

I don’t know if Harry ‘64 wrote it, as I think he had “busted out” by then.

I drove Harry to and from his home in the Bronx several times my sophomore year. I suppose it was better riding with me than taking the bus through Scranton, PA. BTW, several of his other songs allude to Cornell, e.g., Old College Avenue. I think that the “Sue” he mentions in Taxi is another Architecture student, but I’m not certain.

Posted by: Dunc (199.79.156.---)
Date: November 21, 2023 05:30PM

Cornell is name dropped in the Holdovers a few times

Highly recommend The Holdovers, I Loved it

Date: November 22, 2023 01:04PM

In the 3rd episode of the new Frasier they are at Harvard discussing careers and how if not for Frasier the lady would have ended up at a backwater community college "Cornell"

Date: December 15, 2023 03:20PM

Dunc

Went and saw it yesterday. Nicely done, vintage filming, shows a nice story doesnt need a ton of action.

Posted by: George64 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 02, 2024 10:36PM

George64
The book, Boys in the Boat, was great, the documentary was great, the movie should be terrific, too.

[fb.watch]

As I recall, Cornell was prominently mentioned in the book, so we should get a mention in the movie.

The 1936 Poughkeepsie Regatta, in which Cornell finishes fifth, is depicted in the film. Interestingly, according to Corey Earle, Cornell is the only school with more Intercollegiate Rowing Association championships than the University of Washington (26 to 19). In 1936, Cornell had 14 and Washington had only three. Of course, it helped that early on only Cornell, Columbia and Penn competed. The very first IRA race was held in June 1895 and Cornell won with a time of 21:25.0.

Date: January 07, 2024 09:09AM

Not a Cornell mention but the last episode of Reacher had a mention of Cortland.. You know that little town just north of Manhatten.

Is there another Cortland in ny?

Posted by: marty (---.windscribe.com)
Date: January 07, 2024 10:14AM

upprdeck
Not a Cornell mention but the last episode of Reacher had a mention of Cortland.. You know that little town just north of Manhatten.

Yes! It's known to me because it's a stop on Metro North. The spelling is not the same.

Posted by: Roy 82 (136.226.6.---)
Date: January 08, 2024 08:11PM

marty
upprdeck

Yes! It's known to me because it's a stop on Metro North. The spelling is not the same.

I grew up in the Town of Cortlandt (with a "t";)
[townofcortlandt.com]
It was a real town but never seemed to have a postal address with its name. So we used Peekskill NY - where, FUN FACT, the Facts of Life sitcom was set. In recent years, the Van Cortlandt Manor name was allowed to be used because it sounded more pretentious for purposes of selling real estate.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: January 30, 2024 01:37AM

Dunc

And I know it takes place and was filmed in New England, but the bar they go to (pinball scene) reminded me a lot of The Palms.

Date: February 09, 2024 11:01AM

I was reading a book on Ty Cobb and there is a mention that in 1900-01 a pro baseball coach drove a car into into an unlit Cornell Swimming pool. Wonder where that would have been at the time if its true.

Date: February 09, 2024 11:16AM

upprdeck
I was reading a book on Ty Cobb and there is a mention that in 1900-01 a pro baseball coach drove a car into into an unlit Cornell Swimming pool. Wonder where that would have been at the time if its true.

Ask unofficial Cornell historian Corey Earle ‘07, cre8@cornell.edu.

Date: February 09, 2024 11:19AM

if only cornell had a way to present maps of the campus over the years.. Someday someone will invent that ability I suppose.

Date: February 09, 2024 12:06PM

upprdeck
if only cornell had a way to present maps of the campus over the years.. Someday someone will invent that ability I suppose.

Check out The Cornell Campus by Kermit Parsons, 1968.

Date: February 09, 2024 12:16PM

George64

upprdeck

Ask unofficial Cornell historian Corey Earle ‘07, cre8@cornell.edu.

Perhaps the Old Armory, razed in late 50s to make way for Hollister Hall?

Date: February 09, 2024 02:14PM

upprdeck
I'm pretty sure Cornell does not want to trace the evolution from this to this.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2024 11:34PM

upprdeck
Beebe Lake?

Posted by: French Rage (104.129.202.---)
Date: February 11, 2024 01:02AM

To me the story is better if it was still in Teagle even then.

Date: February 19, 2024 04:16PM

George64
Oppenheimer, “The epic thriller chronicles the life of J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic American scientist who ran the Manhattan Project — which led to the creation of the atomic bomb during World War II.“ As Hans Bethe, Richard Feynman and Paul Olum (had a class with him, BTW) all worked on the Manhattan Project, I think Cornell may get a mention. Even if not, sounds like an interesting movie.

Streamed Oppenheimer free on Peacock yesterday. Professors Bethe, Feynman and Morrison appeared briefly, but future Nobelist Isidor Rabi ‘19 had a bigger role. A good friend to Oppenheimer, a real mensch.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2024 04:21PM by George64.

Date: February 29, 2024 01:02PM

Good article about Oppenheimer by Corey Earle ‘07.

Date: March 10, 2024 11:55AM

I have been misremembering Altered States for 40 years. I thought Edward Jessup was at Columbia, but he is at "Cornell Medical College." Emily is at Columbia. Note Wikipedia makes the same error.

Date: March 10, 2024 11:06PM

George64
George64

Oppenheimer opens in theaters July 21. Portrayed Cornell faculty include Hans Bethe (Gustaf Skarsgard), Philip Morrison (Harrison Gilbertson) and Richard Feynman (Jack Quaid), also Nobel Laureate, Isidor Isaac Rabi, BS ‘19 (David Krumholtz).

While at Cornell, Feynman lived at Telluride House, where he said “it's there that I did the fundamental work" for which he won the Nobel Prize in 1965.

Best Picture, Best Leading Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Cinematography . . .

Date: March 16, 2024 05:26PM

Not a movie, but I just ran across this:

Jonathan Silver is an English musician who was the second drummer for the English rock band Genesis. He replaced Chris Stewart in the summer of 1968 and appears on their first full-length album, From Genesis to Revelation, and on the Genesis Archive 1967-75 box set. He left the band in August 1969 and was replaced by John Mayhew after leaving to study at Cornell University.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login