Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Overrated schools

Posted by billhoward 
Overrated schools
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2022 01:27PM

My heart raced at the idea The Ohio State University was one of the most overrated schools with "borderline worthless diplomas." This was another site that requires you to click through photo/text, ad, photo/text.

It had schools such as Montserrat College of Art in Massachusetts; Columbia College (Hollywood, CA); Montana State University; Mitchell College, Connecticut; and Grambling State University. I believe Georgetown was there, too. I clicked most all the pages and didn't see TOSU. The main criteria for being "borderline worthless" apparently was high tuition, low average starting salary (the first school cited was a college of art), or lengthy period for the average graduating salary to add up to more than the four-year cost to attend.

I went back to Facebook to re-find the link using the search term "borderline worthless diplomas" and FB cautioned, "Posts with words you're searching for may be sensitive or encourage behavior that leads to harm. If you're having a hard time or just want someone to talk to, we're here to support you."

Re: Overrated schools
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2022 02:22PM

billhoward
My heart raced at the idea The Ohio State University was one of the most overrated schools with "borderline worthless diplomas." This was another site that requires you to click through photo/text, ad, photo/text.

It had schools such as Montserrat College of Art in Massachusetts; Columbia College (Hollywood, CA); Montana State University; Mitchell College, Connecticut; and Grambling State University. I believe Georgetown was there, too. I clicked most all the pages and didn't see TOSU. The main criteria for being "borderline worthless" apparently was high tuition, low average starting salary (the first school cited was a college of art), or lengthy period for the average graduating salary to add up to more than the four-year cost to attend.

I went back to Facebook to re-find the link using the search term "borderline worthless diplomas" and FB cautioned, "Posts with words you're searching for may be sensitive or encourage behavior that leads to harm. If you're having a hard time or just want someone to talk to, we're here to support you."

The “OSU” on the cheerleader is Oklahoma State

Date: December 29, 2022 02:28PM

scoop
The “OSU” on the cheerleader is Oklahoma State
One might have waited a day before bursting my bubble.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2022 02:28PM

billhoward

Bill, the logo in the picture is that of Oklahoma State, not Ohio State.
although, as a parent of a grad student at Ohio State who is the Lecturer (NOT just the TA) to undergrads, I would not be shocked if Ohio State undergraduates were candidates for "borderline worthless diplomas."

Date: December 29, 2022 04:30PM

Right-o. My wife's family combines Syracuse and Ohio State fanatics. Ohio State is a fabulous Big Ten school academically if a bit overshadowed by Michigan. But, sheesh, that The Ohio State thing grates. It's in league with buying, correction leasing, a Mercedes so you look good pulling up to The Country Club at Muirfield Village.

Well, Georgetown made the list, I believe for list price of tuition, and Ohio State is not that expensive.

Being in publishing, I read stuff like this to see just how bad a story or photo slideshow can be and still draw readers.

The one part that could be a serious story is if you compared cost to attend versus cumulative salary your first ten years out, although that depends a lot on whether you majored in philosophy or chemical engineering. The site did it for some entries not all.

Posted by: RichH (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: December 30, 2022 01:22AM

billhoward
But, sheesh, that The Ohio State thing grates. It's in league with buying, correction leasing, a Mercedes so you look good pulling up to The Country Club at Muirfield Village.

It’s funny to me since Penn State also has the definite article as “The Pennsylvania State University,” but doesn’t really give that much of a shit. I’m sure that’s true for others.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2022 01:23AM by RichH.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 02, 2023 06:23PM

billhoward
The main criteria for being "borderline worthless" apparently was high tuition, low average starting salary (the first school cited was a college of art), or lengthy period for the average graduating salary to add up to more than the four-year cost to attend.

The fact that the "worth" of an education is measured in terms of salary is much of what's wrong with our society.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: toddlose (76.117.252.---)
Date: January 05, 2023 06:14PM

Does Columbia become more or less overrated now with Hillary Clinton as a professor? Knowing US News rankings, they probably regained all those spots recently lost.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 08, 2023 01:12PM

jtwcornell91
billhoward
The main criteria for being "borderline worthless" apparently was high tuition, low average starting salary (the first school cited was a college of art), or lengthy period for the average graduating salary to add up to more than the four-year cost to attend.

The fact that the "worth" of an education is measured in terms of salary is much of what's wrong with our society.

+1

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login