Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Places to eat in Ithaca

Posted by joecct 
Places to eat in Ithaca
Posted by: joecct (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 13, 2010 07:15PM

OK

I asked Kepler if he knew any good places to eat in Ithaca, but he's been away for a while. I'm doing a program review @ the USDA location in early June and would like some good places to eat. My team is coming in on June 6 and leaving the following Friday.

So, where are good places to eat? My sole eating experiences in town have been grab & sit @ Lynah.

Thanks!!

Joe

Re: Places to eat in Ithaca
Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: May 13, 2010 07:20PM

Ah! The proto-typical off-season thread. I have a feeling this will get the forum going.

What type of place are you looking for? Lots of diversity in the Ithaca dining scene.

joecct
OK

I asked Kepler if he knew any good places to eat in Ithaca, but he's been away for a while. I'm doing a program review @ the USDA location in early June and would like some good places to eat. My team is coming in on June 6 and leaving the following Friday.

So, where are good places to eat? My sole eating experiences in town have been grab & sit @ Lynah.

Thanks!!

Joe

Posted by: joecct (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 13, 2010 08:55PM

I like beef, hate fish and anything exotic, so no Thai, Mongolian, Chinese, or anything excessively spicy.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2010 09:16PM

Can't beat the nines for deep dish.

Boatyard grill is pretty good.

if you want artery clogging chicken wings, Wings Over Ithaca has a flavor of wings for everyone.

Ruloff's also has pretty good burgers.

Posted by: Weder (144.142.13.---)
Date: May 13, 2010 10:54PM

Cafe DeWitt for weekend brunch and the Glenwood Pines for a burger. If you want to spend a bit and don't mind a bit of a drive, try Hazelnut Kitchen in Trumansburg.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.cluster-g.websense.net)
Date: May 14, 2010 09:42AM

Antlers in Route 366.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: May 14, 2010 09:56AM

mnagowski
Antlers in Route 366.

It is still there? Wow. The Antlers was one of my favorites when I was there in the 90's. In fact, that is where we went for dinner after my PhD defense. B-]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: May 14, 2010 12:27PM

Rita
mnagowski
Antlers in Route 366.

It is still there? Wow. The Antlers was one of my favorites when I was there in the 90's. In fact, that is where we went for dinner after my PhD defense. B-]

We used to go there during finals when I was a soph (79-80), It was called The Stables when I went the first time in winter '78.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: May 14, 2010 12:43PM

Antlers was great - hope it still is. And Joe your name used to be the place in town - Joe's. But I guess it changed ownership and isn't as good. And don't forget popcorn at Dunbars if you only have enough money for beer. Ithaca Bakery is great for lunch. Moosewood is worth a try if you're open to vegetarian cuisine. Ruloff's is a good place for a date - took my future wife there on our first date! (she had the fajitas and liked them)

Posted by: dag14 (---.calsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: May 14, 2010 01:37PM

Joe's isn't bad, it is just seems like an Olive Garden knockoff, at least for dinner.

My choice in C'Town is the Souvlaki House on Eddy St., just down the hill from Dunbars. My favorite pizza in Ithaca and great Greek food, too.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: May 14, 2010 03:13PM

With all due respect to the people who enjoyed Joe's when they were in Ithaca, the first time I was unfortunate enough to end up at an Olive Garden, I thought "this reminds me of Joe's."

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 14, 2010 08:47PM

dag14
Joe's isn't bad, it is just seems like an Olive Garden knockoff, at least for dinner.

My choice in C'Town is the Souvlaki House on Eddy St., just down the hill from Dunbars. My favorite pizza in Ithaca and great Greek food, too.

The calzones there are pretty great (and large) also.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: May 15, 2010 03:03AM

I don't suppose that Hot Truck food is available in the off-season?

I still eat a nice meal at about 1 AM.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: May 15, 2010 05:51PM

Roy 82

Probably at ShortStop. Which for purists like you, Roy, means no.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2010 05:52PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: May 15, 2010 08:34PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Roy 82

Probably at ShortStop. Which for purists like you, Roy, means no.
It's just not as good at Shortstop. And they give you funny looks when you order something atypical. It does scratch the itch though.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2010 09:24PM

ugarte
With all due respect to the people who enjoyed Joe's when they were in Ithaca, the first time I was unfortunate enough to end up at an Olive Garden, I thought "this reminds me of Joe's."
I enjoyed Joe's back then. I didn't this winter. I can't see it surviving on nostalgia. It has more atmosphere than Olive Garden but the food isn't that good.

I suppose it would be great to have eating / drinking places that survive for decades and even generations such as Mory's in New Haven, except it closed in 2008 or 2009, IIRC. Better to have good places to eat regardless of history. My father in law took us to a restaurant he recalled from way back when (in NJ where he grew up) except the parcel was a brand new Land Rover dealership, so he took us to another place he thought was still around. It was. We asked when he was there last. "Just before I shipped out." That would be 1944. Run by Cornell Hotelies so of course it was pretty good.

Posted by: munchkin (---.c3-0.sbo-ubr4.sbo.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: May 16, 2010 05:55PM

Rongovian Embassy in Trumansburg, if you're willing to drive. Big beer selection and decent food, often live music.

Posted by: gonyr (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2010 09:57PM

Pizza from The Nines. (Pretty decent wings, too).

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 10:18AM

munchkin
Rongovian Embassy in Trumansburg, if you're willing to drive. Big beer selection and decent food, often live music.
They're still around? Amazing. 35+ years in business.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2010 06:34PM

RatushnyFan
Antlers was great - hope it still is. And Joe your name used to be the place in town - Joe's. But I guess it changed ownership and isn't as good. And don't forget popcorn at Dunbars if you only have enough money for beer. Ithaca Bakery is great for lunch. Moosewood is worth a try if you're open to vegetarian cuisine. Ruloff's is a good place for a date - took my future wife there on our first date! (she had the fajitas and liked them)

Antlers is still there, and still amazing. The Fillet Minion is well worth it.

Posted by: munchkin (---.c3-0.sbo-ubr4.sbo.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: May 17, 2010 07:59PM

billhoward
munchkin
Whenever my mom (class of '78) would visit me, we'd go there. She went a lot when she was in undergrad, not so popular among students these days though, I never went with anyone but her, but I always had great food and a good time.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 18, 2010 12:54PM

munchkin
billhoward
munchkin
Whenever my mom (class of '78) would visit me, we'd go there. She went a lot when she was in undergrad, not so popular among students these days though, I never went with anyone but her, but I always had great food and a good time.

The Rongovian is still one of those places I need to go to. There's also apparently a good restaurant right next to it, Hazlenut Kitchen, that I need to try. Good thing it is between my house and Lynah.

Posted by: Willy '06 (38.98.164.---)
Date: May 18, 2010 02:27PM

This is an extremely helpful resource: [dining.14850.com]

If you are looking to spend some serious money, check out The Heights or John Thomas. I live in downtown Chicago and eat out a lot, and those two would stand up to nearly any of the places that I've been around here.

It's too bad that you're going to miss the Farmer's market because that is also a great place to eat.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2010 02:37AM

For a good beer selection and decent food you can try the Ale House downtown. If you don't mind a bit of a drive you can get good burgers and an interesting location at the Rogue's Harbor Inn. I believe it's up on 34 along the lake. Personally, I always thought Ruloff's was overrated. It's not bad, I just don't like it as much as some of the others around these parts.

Posted by: joecct (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 07, 2010 03:23AM

Evening 1

Ate dinner at the Antlers -- food was excellent. Recommend the place to anyone coming up for reunion.

Complaint department
Staying @ the Best Western -- no ESPN in the hotel. Room is nice, but cable offered in the room stinks.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.cluster-g.websense.net)
Date: June 09, 2010 08:57AM

Evening 1

Ate dinner at the Antlers -- food was excellent. Recommend the place to anyone coming up for reunion.
fr
Glad to hear. Always concerned when I make a recommendation based on an experience from five years ago.

Reunion tomorrow night! I think we're going to kick the weekend off at Glenwood Pines.

Posted by: joecct (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: June 09, 2010 04:39PM

Further update

Monday --
Zsa Zsa's (Za Za's???) - it's across the street from Purity. Avoid it like the plague. Service was very very slow and the meal was not worth the price.
Purity ice cream -- 4 stars

Tuesday
Glenwood Pines -- 4 stars. For the record I did not try for the Wall of Fame. They also have Purity Ice Cream

Tonight
Pray for me.. The ladies want to go to the mall and shop and we'll eat @ the mall

Thursday
Plan is back to the Antlers.... Live Lobster night.

Friday
It's Cornell reunion. This Clarkson grad is heading out of town before you start celebrating the 40th anniversary of your last NCAA championship!!! :)

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 12, 2010 03:20AM

Funny, I ate at Zsa Zsa's the night they opened and had the exact same experience you describe here. I'm amazed they're still around. Hope the mall food wasn't too terrible.

Posted by: joecct (---.usda.gov)
Date: June 17, 2010 02:54PM

Update on last Wednesday....

Ladies decided to go to the mall in Syracuse. The guys went to Anlters for the $12.95 prime rib special.

Posted by: Willy '06 (---.static.123.net)
Date: June 24, 2010 12:39AM

Zsa Zsa's was pretty good a few years ago. I wonder what happened.

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 24, 2010 09:06AM

Za-Za's has been a favorite of mine for years. Last time there was for the Ivy Lacrosse Tournament about a month ago. Great menu, fabulous home made pastas, the Anti-Olive Garden. I never had a bad meal there. Ever.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2018 12:10AM

billhoward
ugarte
I enjoyed Joe's back then. I didn't this winter. I can't see it surviving on nostalgia. It has more atmosphere than Olive Garden but the food isn't that good.

I suppose it would be great to have eating / drinking places that survive for decades and even generations such as Mory's in New Haven, except it closed in 2008 or 2009, IIRC. Better to have good places to eat regardless of history. My father in law took us to a restaurant he recalled from way back when (in NJ where he grew up) except the parcel was a brand new Land Rover dealership, so he took us to another place he thought was still around. It was. We asked when he was there last. "Just before I shipped out." That would be 1944. Run by Cornell Hotelies so of course it was pretty good.

Joe's is for sale, according to Brian Crandall in The Ithaca Voice

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login