Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Computer Use and Comfort survey

Posted by ben03 
Computer Use and Comfort survey
Posted by: ben03 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2010 02:24PM

okay ... so this has little to do with anything other than the fact that you are viewing this on some sort of computer. which happens to be exactly why i'm hopeful you might be willing to help me out. i'm collecting some data regarding the use and comfort and of computer workstations. if you you have 1-2 minutes and want to help please click through and the link below. thanks in advance for your help.

~Ben

Computer Comfort Survey #1

Re: Computer Use and Comfort survey
Posted by: profudge (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: April 26, 2010 09:02AM

Ben, took your survey - enjoy - Maybe later post a short summary of results, and why and how they are helpful, if they are ?

TY (curious is my middle name)

Date: April 26, 2010 01:07PM

profudge
Ben, took your survey - enjoy - Maybe later post a short summary of results, and why and how they are helpful, if they are ?

TY (curious is my middle name)

thanks for your help. i'll be sure to post a summary when we finish collecting the data and let you know if we find some insights.

cheers!

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: April 26, 2010 01:57PM

I might be inclined to take the survey (or even click the link) if I knew more about who you were and why you wanted the information.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 26, 2010 02:36PM

Roy 82
I might be inclined to take the survey (or even click the link) if I knew more about who you were and why you wanted the information.
His real name is ben and he's posted 913 times on eLynah since 2004. What more could you want to know? :-P

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 26, 2010 03:10PM

Roy 82
He's trying to steal souls, like with photographs of indians.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 26, 2010 06:09PM

Do you accept answers from non-Cornell fans? If so, should questions 5, 7, and 8 refer to my work computer, my home computer, or a weighted average?

Date: April 26, 2010 08:15PM

you guys are a funny bunch ... i've met a large handful of you in some way shape or form since my time in Ithaca, apparently just not Roy82. this is just a simple survey trying to better understanding comfort and productivity of computer use. please feel free to take it if you like or not - both are cool with me. i'm a practicing human factors professional who works in health and safety ... it's for my own curiosity.

ursusminor - all are welcome ... weighted averages are more than acceptable :-D you make the call. as you can see this is very basic.

thanks to those who participated.

LGR!

Date: April 26, 2010 08:24PM

KeithK
Roy 82
His real name is ben and he's posted 913 times on eLynah since 2004. What more could you want to know? :-P

that info is incorrect ... it was reset when the site was migrated to Age's new server (iirc) :-P i first started posting in 2000-01

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2010 08:25PM by ben03.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 26, 2010 10:32PM

ben03
KeithK
Roy 82

that info is incorrect ... it was reset when the site was migrated to Age's new server (iirc) :-P i first started posting in 2000-01

We used to see you at games...and then you disappeared. that is, if you are the Ben I'm thinking of.

Date: April 27, 2010 12:13AM

judy
ben03
KeithK
Roy 82

We used to see you at games...and then you disappeared. that is, if you are the Ben I'm thinking of.

yes, same one ... you can chalk my disappearance up to the move to California :-)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 28, 2010 08:25AM

ben03
judy
ben03
KeithK
Roy 82

yes, same one ... you can chalk my disappearance up to the move to California :-)

Then why haven't you run into Roy 82? He's out on the left coast, too. whistle

BTW, Ben. The reason I said in the survey I'm not interested in learning about ergonomics is that I know a lot about it already. My company requires us to do an ergo survey of our workstation EVERY YEAR. I've done about 15 of them, so I pretty much know what constitutes an ergonomic workstation set-up.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2010 08:30AM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: April 28, 2010 12:21PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
ben03
judy
ben03
KeithK
Roy 82

BTW, Ben. The reason I said in the survey I'm not interested in learning about ergonomics is that I know a lot about it already. My company requires us to do an ergo survey of our workstation EVERY YEAR. I've done about 15 of them, so I pretty much know what constitutes an ergonomic workstation set-up.

Thanks Jeff ... you work for a fairly progressive company if you've been doing so for 15 years. A large number are really just coming around to the idea b/c they can finally see a cost/benefit of preventive measures vs. reactive.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 06:29PM

Roy 82
He's Ben. He got harassed by ushers at Clarkson one time. I can only assume he wants the information so he can build super-intelligent ergonomic desk chairs that will eventually rise up against their human masters and conquer the world and then sit on us for a change.

(And because I know someone else is going to say it if I don't: In USSR, ergonomic desk chair sits on you!)

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2010 11:24PM

One thing that I think I find important that is not on your survey is the height of the chair relative to the desk and computer.

Date: April 29, 2010 01:08AM

cth95
One thing that I think I find important that is not on your survey is the height of the chair relative to the desk and computer.

you're spot on - this is an important factor to consider when setting up a workstation. since most desks are not (easily) height adjustable that leaves us with the keyboard tray option ... which more often than not draws the ire of many. but setting up the chair with your feet on flat and firmly on the floor is the starting point. for those in discomfort the missing key is often the addition of a lowered surface for the keyboard and mouse.

i classified this as "equipment setup" in the survey.

thanks for the feedback:-)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 30, 2010 04:34PM

ben03
Jeff Hopkins '82
ben03
judy
ben03
KeithK
Roy 82

Thanks Jeff ... you work for a fairly progressive company if you've been doing so for 15 years. A large number are really just coming around to the idea b/c they can finally see a cost/benefit of preventive measures vs. reactive.

I think we went through a spate of carpal tunnel surgeries way back when, and that woke people (read: the company's lawyers) up.

I find the comment about progressive a bit ironic. There's a story (possibly apochryphal) from the late 80's about the president of our company saying he didn't want to spend the money to give the engineers PC's because he was convinced they wouldn't catch on.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: April 30, 2010 05:39PM

Question.....not worth its own thread. I want to upload HD videos of my boys hockey games so that teammates can watch the video as well. Can I use a free hosting service provider or Facebook or do I need a higher quality service provider? The key aspects that are important to me are (1) ability to host HD video, (2) bandwidth - I don't want to have to upload multiple video segments for a single game and (3) ability to share with others so that they can view the game.

Thanks for any advice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login