Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Sorority Dress Code

Posted by Killer 
Sorority Dress Code
Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 23, 2010 10:19AM

Found this out on Huffington Post last night:

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Re: Sorority Dress Code
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 02:34PM

Much of this is from [www.ivygateblog.com]
Cornell Rush Tells You — Yes, You, Ugly! — How to Dress

(Part of the rules)

CLOTHING.

Round I & II: “Casual chic”

Bottoms:

Yes:
Medium-to-dark or black skinny or straight jeans
Dark skinny or straight cords
"Denim-legging" is appropriate as long as it's done right: aka, not from American Apparel and worn with chic, cool chunky boots over them and a longer top. NO camel toe.

No:
Super "Flared leg" pants
Cropped pants. Ugh.
Bleached/very light or TORN jeans I don't care if they're in style.
Khakis
Leggings worn as pants
Muffin tops or extreme low rise!!

Tops:

Yes:
Blouses: flowy, pretty material.
Sweaters or other long-sleeved shirts, V or Crew.
Cardigans (with longer tank top under preferably)
Blazers: Yes, please! I love a casual top with a cool boyfriend blazer over it

No:
Summer pattern/colors, too tight or too short shirts or blouses!
Low-cut
Sleeveless
Tank tops
Frumpy
Preferably no short sleeves-- recommended: full coverage aka elbow length, 3/4 length, long, thin layers.

Shoes:

Yes:
Nice flats: Tory Burch, etc. More evening-ish, understated. Patent leather good.
Heels: mid-height. This round is still "casual", so no sky-high hooker heels! I'm thinking mid-height Mary Jane heels, or mid-height chunky kate spade, etc.
Boots: love. Chunky or simple/elegant, heel on the lower side to flat. Worn OVER pants.

No:
Open-toed!
WHITE
Strappy
High-heeled/going out boots.
If you're wearing cheapo shoes, make sure they don't look it.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 01:16PM

I honestly don't know how this is "news." All it is is each sorority trying to brand themselves, because rush is not exactly the time during which in-depth research about each house's sisterhood is made, deep, life-long, friendships are formed, etc. Everyone is running around superficially judging each other -- and I don't mean that in a good or bad way, it's just the process. That being said, this is the kind of mystifying female nonsense that kept me a GDI.

HOWEVER...I take issue with this: "Boots: love. Chunky or simple/elegant. heel on the lower side to flat. Worn OVER pants." OVER pants? Really? Because that went out of style in 2008, and even before that time, I distinctly remember a conversation I had with a Barney's salesman at the store's jeans bar, where I expressed an interest in buying jeans I could wear tucked into boots, and he shuddered. When a Barney's salesman shudders at the idea of an outfit, YOU DO NOT WEAR THAT OUTFIT. Whatever, I am sure this edict exists solely to emphasize the skinniness of Pi Phi calves.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 25, 2010 02:44PM

Jerseygirl
HOWEVER...I take issue with this: "Boots: love. Chunky or simple/elegant. heel on the lower side to flat. Worn OVER pants." OVER pants? Really? Because that went out of style in 2008, and even before that time, I distinctly remember a conversation I had with a Barney's salesman at the store's jeans bar, where I expressed an interest in buying jeans I could wear tucked into boots, and he shuddered. When a Barney's salesman shudders at the idea of an outfit, YOU DO NOT WEAR THAT OUTFIT. Whatever, I am sure this edict exists solely to emphasize the skinniness of Pi Phi calves.
That's the attitude that ensures that I will never understand fashion (or female nonsense). If you like the way something looks then go a head and wear it. Who cares if some salesman or a fashion magazine or whatever says it's so 2008? Sure if you're trying to wear a polyester liesure suit your friends should organzie an intervention, but that's an extreme case.

(No, I don't need to have people chime in and tell me I have no sennse of style. I know that.)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 03:54PM

My vast experience with women allows me to explain how they think, in four part harmony.

Part of (most of) liking a look is liking how people react to it. That's what fashion and style are -- a ridiculously expensive form of fitting in (particularly when not appearing to fit in is the way of fitting in). Think of it as grammar -- you may personally love "thee" and "thou," but you don't use them because of the impression they would make -- the ground rules of which are set by the environment, not you.

Or think of why you wear a tie to a job interview, and now imagine thousands of different permutations of "ties" involving every aspect of your wardrobe, each of which sends a subtly different message.

Then be thankful you're male.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 25, 2010 04:03PM

Trotsky
My vast experience with women allows me to explain how they think, in four part harmony.

Part of (most of) liking a look is liking how people react to it. That's what fashion and style are -- a ridiculously expensive form of fitting in (particularly when not appearing to fit in is the way of fitting in). Think of it as grammar -- you may personally love "thee" and "thou," but you don't use them because of the impression they would make -- the ground rules of which are set by the environment, not you.

Or think of why you wear a tie to a job interview, and now imagine thousands of different permutations of "ties" involving every aspect of your wardrobe, each of which sends a subtly different message.

Then be thankful you're male.
Thank you!
Thank you!!
Thank you!!!
Thank you!!!!

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 08:45PM

From a distance, both gender and years, one wonders if this dress code will brand a Pi Phi differently from a Kappa or DG -- who wouldn't like $195 Tory Burch sandals? -- or if it lays out guidelines that present the ideal of the well-presented member no matter which sorority.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2010 07:22AM by billhoward.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 10:37PM

KeithK
Jerseygirl
That's the attitude that ensures that I will never understand fashion (or female nonsense). If you like the way something looks then go a head and wear it. Who cares if some salesman or a fashion magazine or whatever says it's so 2008? Sure if you're trying to wear a polyester liesure suit your friends should organzie an intervention, but that's an extreme case.

(No, I don't need to have people chime in and tell me I have no sennse of style. I know that.)

To be clear, I was writing this with tongue held firmly in cheek. I mean, I personally don't give a shit if you fashion antlers out of your damn boots, but wearing boots like that did reach its peak in 2007-2008. So it's interesting to me that a sorority that is trying to look very cool and fashionable would decree that boots should be worn over jeans. But then again, I guess the fashion shock waves that keep everyone current do get rather faint toward Ithaca, that far away from NYC.

Yes, I do have an inordinate amount of fashion knowledge for someone who can't be bothered to shave her legs on even a semi-regular basis. (Shaddup, I am Scandinavian. I can get away with it.)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2010 11:54PM

Jerseygirl
But then again, I guess the fashion shock waves that keep everyone current do get rather faint toward Ithaca, that far away from NYC.
Whereas northwestern Connecticut is on the cutting edge of all things trendy. :-}

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2010 12:12AM

I think it's amusing to read the whole seven pages of instructions, but this can't possibly be a surprise to anyone who knows anything about the Cornell Greek system. Every house does this to some extent.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 10:31PM

And now on Yahoo.com.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login