Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Online feud continues with real world fisticuffs

Posted by billhoward 
Online feud continues with real world fisticuffs
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2009 02:14PM

One more reason we in NJ are No. 48 in a recent Happiness Index: We fight too much, as exemplified by the story in today's Newark Star Ledger, "Facebook sparks fights at Union County high school." A half-dozen girls took exception to what was posted about them, got into fights in Scotch Plains-Fanwood HS, and then were suspended. The Star-Ledger writer found a lawyer who's a cyber bullying expert / consultant and who offered this comment: "We have to teach [children] to take it offline." Or you could say the kids did exactly that.

(New York is #50 in the happiness poll and the NY Times has a somber (dull) editorial on the subject. Louisiana is #1 (happiest) which caused the Star-Ledger to note, "Louisiana, the poll told us, is the happiest state in the union — right, the state still mopping the muddy waters of Hurricane Katrina from its living rooms. But maybe it makes sense after all: Louisiana always ranks near the top of any lists with the worst schools, and it’s one of the most obese states in the nation. So does that mean they really are fat, dumb and happy?"

Re: Online feud continues with real world fisticuffs
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: December 23, 2009 04:54PM

billhoward
(New York is #50 in the happiness poll and the NY Times has a somber (dull) editorial on the subject. Louisiana is #1 (happiest) which caused the Star-Ledger to note, "Louisiana, the poll told us, is the happiest state in the union — right, the state still mopping the muddy waters of Hurricane Katrina from its living rooms. But maybe it makes sense after all: Louisiana always ranks near the top of any lists with the worst schools, and it’s one of the most obese states in the nation. So does that mean they really are fat, dumb and happy?"
Well that'll do wonders for the perception that the NYT is arrogant.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.115.197.118.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 09:56AM

billhoward

Confirmation of "Ignorance is bliss?"

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 03:33PM

Mo money, mo problems.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 26, 2009 10:15AM

Josh '99
billhoward

It was actually the Star-Ledger that makes that comment

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 26, 2009 12:03PM

scoop85
Josh '99
billhoward

It was actually the Star-Ledger that makes that comment
Huh, how about that. My mistake.

In the interest of being topical, I'm sure there's a "Jersey Shore" joke in here somewhere, but I'm too lazy to find it.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2009 02:21PM

Josh '99
In the interest of being topical, I'm sure there's a "Jersey Shore" joke in here somewhere, but I'm too lazy to find it.
They're mostly from Staten Island, anyway.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 27, 2009 03:57PM

Trotsky
Josh '99
Staten Island: the unwanted bastard child of the South Shore of Long Island and the Philly suburbs in South Jersey. :-}

Posted by: billhoward (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 27, 2009 05:33PM

There are some very nice places on Staten Island, as there are in New Jersey, but no one believes it, and anyway if a few more people move out, the highways won't be so crowded, which might move us up on the happiness poll.

Posted by: Ken70 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 28, 2009 04:05PM

billhoward
There are some very nice places on Staten Island,

Name one:-D

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: December 28, 2009 04:13PM

Ken70
billhoward

The St. George Ferry Terminal?

Date: December 29, 2009 11:13AM

ugarte
Ken70
billhoward

Precisely the point

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 29, 2009 12:55PM

Josh '99
Trotsky
Josh '99
Staten Island: the unwanted bastard child of the South Shore of Long Island and the Philly suburbs in South Jersey. :-}
South Shore my ass. Huntington High School in lovely northern Suffolk County had about a dozen homegrown versions of "The Situation" circa 1980*. I tell my wife as long as that show is on I never have to go to another reunion.

(* as did the ILR school circa 1985, though, to be fair, they actually were from Staten Island)

Date: December 29, 2009 02:42PM

Ken70
billhoward

Around where the Newhouse family (Conde Nast, Newhouse Newspapers, Communications School at Syracuse) resides would be a decent place to hang your hat.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 04:35PM

ugarte
Ken70
billhoward

The Ballpark at St. George (or whatever the hell they're calling it now) is pretty cool.

Date: December 31, 2009 10:49AM

Staten Island was concerned enough about its, ah, pristine beauty to keep out a NASCAR track. Although NASCAR claimed with a straight face that since the bridges couldn't handle a race day influx, most fans - NASCAR fans - would take mass transit to the track. The obvious solution would be to fill in a bit more of NJ's Meadlowlands and unleash more Jimmy Hoffa jokes; I think you do something with the road course inside the oval and name part of it Dead Man's Curve.

Date: January 02, 2010 02:55PM

billhoward
Around where the Newhouse family (Conde Nast, Newhouse Newspapers, Communications School at Syracuse) resides would be a decent place to hang your hat.

Where on the Island is that?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login