Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Converting VHS recordings to digital

Posted by Rita 
Converting VHS recordings to digital
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2009 02:02AM

I'm sure many of you also have boxes of VHS tapes of Cornell hockey games and other sporting events. I would like to get those games transferred to some sort of electronic/digital format, but for minimal money. In this week's BED, BATH AND BEYOND, flyer they advertised a "Digital Video Converter" that would convert DVR, VHS, DVD and live TV programs onto an SD card, which then, I gues can be downloaded onto your computer.

Has anyone used such a device? is it worth the $99? They also had a converter for recording cassette tapes and LPs to CD. I also have many boxes of cassette tapes that I would like to have on a CD/MP3 format. Of course, no one device does both VHS and cassette.

So I was wondering if these devices are any good and is it worth putting on my Christmas/ Wish List. Of course other suggestions welcomed because I'm sure that Bed, Bath and Beyond is probably not the best place to get these things. But I saw them and thought, Hey! I can use that.

[www.bedbathandbeyond.com]

[www.bedbathandbeyond.com]

Re: Converting VHS recordings to digital
Posted by: ajh258 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 07, 2009 11:27PM

There is a converter in Carpenter Library, go upstairs to ACCEL and ask for it.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2009 11:42PM

ajh258

Thanks for the info, but that would be quite a hike from my home in South Florida.

Posted by: RichH (67.201.121.---)
Date: December 08, 2009 12:09AM

Rita
ajh258

Thanks for the info, but that would be quite a hike from my home in South Florida.

My first thought exactly. There's a recent "how to" post I saw from Wired today that gives a pretty basic overview:

[howto.wired.com]

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 08, 2009 12:32AM

If you are not really familiar with the whole process save yourself a lot of trouble and just buy one of those set top boxes that you insert the VHS and a DVD and it does it for you. Although these are somewhat difficult to obtain anymore, ebay is a good option.

Using your computer would probably be somewhat cheaper but it can be a somewhat painful process since there are probably 20+ programs that can do the job along with many different configuration options. Plus you will not really be able to use your computer the whole time and each VHS takes as long as the length of the material on it to record to your hard drive.

Posted by: Ken70 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2009 11:57AM

[www.amazon.com]

Comes with S/W for editing and converts to DVD, among other formats.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2009 12:28PM by Ken70.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2009 02:53PM

Ken70
[www.amazon.com]

Comes with S/W for editing and converts to DVD, among other formats.
For fifty bucks, if you're wrong, you're only out fifty bucks. Read the comments on the Amazon page; some are useful, such as the note to write the video file to your disk as an intermediate step rather than go direct to the DVD. A lot of Pinnacle software (the Dazzle package) has been flaky in the past and yet I found it got the job done between crashes. My PC chauvinist heart says you should do it all on a Mac if you have a choice.

Use really good media since you're likely not going to remember to re-burn the DVD in 5 years or 10 years. TDK, Verbatim are good, HP if you're burning Lightscribe discs. The archive fanatics say Taiyo Yuden DVDs are the very best, in quantity they're 100 for $25. I've also heard that writing on the discs with a felt tip pen can affect longevity; don't know if that's true, but several people say it.

Most important is to get your valuable videos off tape now.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 04:24PM

billhoward
Use really good media since you're likely not going to remember to re-burn the DVD in 5 years or 10 years.
The best media is a file on your hard drive and a backup off-site. Physical media are going the way of the dodo and, as you note, recordables don't have particularly good longevity anyway: rolling over a growing collection every few years is going to become a PITA very quickly.

I maintain my own backup (RAID at each of two physically separate locations), but individuals can obtain storage and backup services from a commercial provider for not too much money these days.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2010 05:00PM

Sorry, I don't read this forum enough. Probably the solution that would present the least headaches would be to just buy a cheapish DVD recorder and feed the VCR into that. Don't have to worry about encoding, burning, etc. If the quality of your tapes is at all suspect, avoid the Dazzle or any of the lower-end (less than $200) DV capture hardware. If there's any break in the timecode during playback, worst case is it will just stop capturing and best case is the audio will be out of sync for the rest of the capture.

I'm in the middle of a gargantuan (as in hundreds of tapes) VHS digitizing project, and I tried all that crap and they're all a waste of time. What you really need, if you want to do the capture-edit-burn on your computer thing is one of these:

[www.amazon.com]

They're expensive, but they're awesome. Exhaustive image and sound control, very advanced hardware noise reduction, and no matter how crappy the tape, the sound will always remain in sync.

Alternatively, you can send me the tapes and a hard drive and I can capture them. :) You know how to reach me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login