Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Forbes.com's take on America's Best Colleges

Posted by min 
Forbes.com's take on America's Best Colleges
Posted by: min (---.dynamic.hinet.net)
Date: August 07, 2009 07:47PM

[www.forbes.com]

To find Cornell's ranking, just keep on clicking 'next'...:-/

Re: Forbes.com's take on America's Best Colleges
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: August 07, 2009 10:22PM

Even putting aside the silliness of making such a list in the first place, I wouldn't be too concerned about where Cornell places in a list that 1) is delivered without any accompanying explanation and 2) appears to have used shock value as one of its criteria.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: August 08, 2009 08:13AM

There actually is a "methodology" in the accompanying article:

[www.forbes.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: August 08, 2009 11:14AM

Ah, that explains the snide comments about ratemyprofessor.com.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2009 12:08PM

The National Research Council rankings [of graduate departments, but essentially of faculty] are what university administrators pay attention to. These are very much out of date. New ones are expected this year.

[www.stat.tamu.edu]

[www.stat.tamu.edu]

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2009 11:11AM

The methodology goes out of its way to beat up the methodology of US News (pot, kettle, black?), defend Forbes' reliance on Who's Who as a valid measure of accomplishment that can't be gamed or bought into, and explain why ratemyprofessor is worthy of being part of the measurement.

The methodology ranks Ithaca College and Cornell College ahead of Cornell University.

The methodology heavily weights cost, so two service academies make the top ten, but doesn't counterweight the lost salary opportunities because of the five-year service commitment.

Silly as they are, these ratings do make schools think about how they're perceived. And sometimes spend money in the wrong direction.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 09, 2009 12:20PM

Al DeFlorio
The National Research Council rankings [of graduate departments, but essentially of faculty] are what university administrators pay attention to. These are very much out of date. New ones are expected this year.

[www.stat.tamu.edu]

[www.stat.tamu.edu]
Interesting that the SUNY schools are rated in the order Stony Brook > Albany > Buffalo > Binghamton. That is essentially the reverse of what I remember being the admissions criteria (and therefore the academic reputation to the applying student) in the late 80's when I was applying.

Date: August 09, 2009 05:34PM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio

[www.stat.tamu.edu]

[www.stat.tamu.edu]
Interesting that the SUNY schools are rated in the order Stony Brook > Albany > Buffalo > Binghamton. That is essentially the reverse of what I remember being the admissions criteria (and therefore the academic reputation to the applying student) in the late 80's when I was applying.
More or less parallels substance ingestion?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 10, 2009 09:54AM

The comments are amusing.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: August 11, 2009 04:46AM

It also seems counterproductive to look at student debt load. If people are willing to take on high amounts of debt to attend a school, to me that indicates that people believe the school is good enough to be worth it - and strongly enough that they are willing to put their money where their mouth is. How many students would be willing to go $100k in debt to obtain a SUNY Binghampton degree?

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: August 11, 2009 11:41AM

Robb
It also seems counterproductive to look at student debt load. If people are willing to take on high amounts of debt to attend a school, to me that indicates that people believe the school is good enough to be worth it
Forbes probably thinks that there isn't much difference in value between bachelors degrees from various institutions. Or at least that the difference in value is not accurately reflected in the price. We on eLynah may be convinced that an Ivy League education is better than that from a SUNY Binghamton but is it really worth an extra $50 thousand (or whatever the differential is). You can probably make arguments both ways and in the end the "value" is probably more a distribution than a fixed number anyway.

Of course, I firmly reject these rankings for not putting Cornell at or near the top. :-D.

Date: August 11, 2009 12:32PM

KeithK
Forbes probably thinks that there isn't much difference in value between bachelors degrees from various institutions. Or at least that the difference in value is not accurately reflected in the price.
Wonder how many Forbes family kids go to West Point...or SUNY Binghamton.

Date: August 12, 2009 10:54PM

Al DeFlorio
KeithK
Forbes probably thinks that there isn't much difference in value between bachelors degrees from various institutions. Or at least that the difference in value is not accurately reflected in the price.
Wonder how many Forbes family kids go to West Point...or SUNY Binghamton.
You mean following your own advice? Heck, no. I think Duty, Honor, Country translates to, "Let somebody else get their legs blown off."

More seriously, there were studies at the turn of the decade (what some call turn of the millenium) that showed when you discounted for family income and SAT scores coming in, long-term outcomes were quite similar for elite schools and average-to-good schools. Smart kids go in to Princeton, smart kids come out of Princeton - no surprise. If you go to an elite school, you get to meet more bankers' sons and that translates to summer job opportunities you won't get at State U.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2009 10:55AM

We're #15 in the US News and World Report poll.

There is a lot of sibling kissing going on in this year's rankings.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: August 20, 2009 11:24AM

Rita
Now that's a report I can believe!

Nothing like a good dose of self-justification to start the day. :-)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: August 20, 2009 05:39PM

Rita

Well, at least we're ahead of Brown. When/how did Penn (sucks) work their way up to #4?

Date: August 20, 2009 05:53PM

Josh '99
Rita

Well, at least we're ahead of Brown. When/how did Penn (sucks) work their way up to #4?
Penn is only #4 if you think there's validity to the USNWR formula. Duke is also very much overrated, based on my experience in the higher ed world.

Berkeley, which ought to be top five (maybe top three) in any ranking, is sitting at #21. This is ridiculous, and strictly a result of yield and selectivity calculations, which hurts all public institutions, including part-statutory Cornell. Berkeley, UCLA, Illinois, and several other publics have a stronger faculty than Duke or Dartmouth or Brown. Stronger than Penn, too.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 20, 2009 06:17PM

Al DeFlorio
Berkeley, UCLA, Illinois, and several other publics have a stronger faculty than Duke or Dartmouth or Brown. Stronger than Penn, too.
I have to imagine stronger than WUSTL or Northwestern, as well.

The US News ranking is guilty of false precision: they put together a formula that looks all scientific and therefore lends it an air of credibility to uneducated or gullible folks, but winds up being useless by weighting inputs according to a fixed set of weights that represent nothing more than the biases of the editors influenced primarily to sell magazines.

A more useful number to potential engineering undergraduates aiming for industry, for instance, would be based on an investigation among engineering employers of the reputation of each school: this would be a metric that the vast majority of applicants would actually find useful. Unfortunately, that's hard, because it would require journalists to do, you know, actual work rather than merely mailing their yearly survey to a few hundred colleges' PR offices and waiting for the response.

US News, along with the rest of the dinosaur media, has outlived its usefulness and can't die soon enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2009 06:18PM by Kyle Rose.

Date: August 20, 2009 06:28PM

Kyle Rose
Al DeFlorio
Berkeley, UCLA, Illinois, and several other publics have a stronger faculty than Duke or Dartmouth or Brown. Stronger than Penn, too.
I have to imagine stronger than WUSTL or Northwestern, as well.
No question. Stronger than all but a very few (and, in Berkeley's case, possibly stronger than all) of the twenty ranked ahead of them.

Your "false precision" argument is dead on. Making it worse is the "gaming of the system" going on at many schools aiming to climb in the rankings by manipulating the statistics.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: September 09, 2009 05:00PM

I find it somewhat amusing that I was accepted to both Penn and U. Chicago and they were distant second and third choices for me. I wouldn't change my decision over 15 years later (even if I hadn't met my future wife at Cornell, which I did!). I'm sure others have similar stories.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: September 11, 2009 09:10AM

RatushnyFan
even though if I hadn't met my future wife at Cornell

FYP **]

Date: September 11, 2009 01:47PM

Thanks, but isn't that changing the meaning of what I was trying to say? That said, I frequently need the grammar/diction nazis to step in and point me in the right direction.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 03:43PM

RatushnyFan
Thanks, but isn't that changing the meaning of what I was trying to say? That said, I frequently need the grammar/diction nazis to step in and point me in the right direction.

It is a joke that Fred wrote after stepping out of a time machine that he used to visit 1952.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 09:29PM

Yeah, it was a marriage joke. Pretty sure those are still in vogue in the 21st century :-P

Now might I just not be funny? ... That's entirely possible.

Date: September 11, 2009 09:59PM

Now I get it, boy I'm slow today. Jerseygirl distracted me.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2009 09:59PM by RatushnyFan.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2009 10:51PM

RatushnyFan
Now I get it, boy I'm slow today. Jerseygirl distracted me.

I tend to have that effect... innocent

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login