Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Ann Coulter On Cornell Hockey

Posted by TimV 
Ann Coulter On Cornell Hockey
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2009 11:05PM

Disses Keith Olbermann for an entire column. Very funny. Here's the good part for Kyle, who otherwise better skip the whole thing:

Graduates of the ag school include David LeNeveu of the Anaheim Ducks, Mitch Carefoot of the Phoenix RoadRunners, Darren Eliot, former professional hockey player, and Joe Nieuwendyk, multiple Stanley Cup winner.

One begins to understand why Harvard students threw a chicken on the ice during Cornell's famous rout of Harvard at a 1973 hockey game.

Hey, Ann? Dartmouth got eliminated by RPI. RPI!!

Anne Coulter vs Keith Olbermann

Re: Ann Coulter On Cornell Hockey
Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 10, 2009 11:16PM

What does Dartmouth have to do with anything? Coulter went to Cornell also. Read the whole column and then follow the thread on JSID.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 10, 2009 11:16PM

You don't read JSID, do you? :-)

Dissing Olbermann is always a good thing these days though.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2009 11:25PM

So the only Ivy School at Cornell is the A & S? Many of us went to CU expressly because it wasn't all Liberal Arts majors. I guess those of us who went to Engr. didn't get an Ivy education. Maybe she's a wannabee Harvard grad. Well too bad for her, she can be proud of the chicken; I can be proud to know a diverse group of students and be able to take a diverse group of courses.

I'm at least glad she knows something of our hockey tradition, even if she disses all the rest of us.flipc

Date: March 10, 2009 11:27PM

I get these babes mixed up... Who's the blonde Dartmouth grad?

Date: March 10, 2009 11:33PM

Haven't been there in quite a while. It's what I read when it's not hockey or lacrosse season.

My Bad.blush

Posted by: sen '08 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2009 11:57PM

You must be REALLY confused. I don't think I've ever heard anyone call Coulter a "babe." yark

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 12:16AM

I like how she says that A&S is the only one that matters because it gives the only Bachelor of Arts degree. Has anyone given a shit what sort of "Bachelor of ???" degree a person had in, say, the last 30 years.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2009 12:33AM

I know it's been said before but I'd like to point out how ridiculous it is to say "Cornell education", much less "Ivy League education," as if there are uniform curricula and standards spanning the institutions. I might as well tell people I got an "ECAC Hockey education" while at Cornell...even though, in a lot of ways, I did :-D.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 12:39AM

imafrshmn
I know it's been said before but I'd like to point out how ridiculous it is to say "Cornell education", much less "Ivy League education," as if there are uniform curricula and standards spanning the institutions. I might as well tell people I got an "ECAC Hockey education" while at Cornell...even though, in a lot of ways, I did :-D.

ECAC[HL] Hockey Education pop quiz! Fill in the blank! "See you, asshole! You ____"

1) Lose
2) Loose
3) Goon
4) Syphilis

Answer: Abar bs gur nobir; "nffubyr" jvyy trg lbhe nffqbaxrl guebja bhg.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hortonpv.ul.warwick.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 07:51AM

Read the column -- Coulter is insufferable (hey, did I spell that correctly? I'm a Communications major, after all ;-)).

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 11, 2009 08:19AM

ftyuv
imafrshmn

ECAC[HL] Hockey Education pop quiz! Fill in the blank! "See you, asshole! You ____"

1) Lose
2) Loose
3) Goon
4) Syphilis

Answer: Abar bs gur nobir; "nffubyr" jvyy trg lbhe nffqbaxrl guebja bhg.

Funny. banana

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: March 11, 2009 08:30AM

scoop85
Read the column -- Coulter is insufferable (hey, did I spell that correctly? I'm a Communications major, after all ;-)).
If you had an Ivy League education, you'd know. :-D

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)

French Rage
I like how she says that A&S is the only one that matters because it gives the only Bachelor of Arts degree. Has anyone given a shit what sort of "Bachelor of ???" degree a person had in, say, the last 30 years.

Well, yeah, especially since A&S has Physics, Chemistry, etc. If BA vs BS actually meant something from school to school, I would be at a disadvantage for having a Bachelor of Arts in Astronomy.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2009 06:09PM by jtwcornell91.

Posted by: Trotsky (199.46.170.---)
Date: March 11, 2009 09:28AM

She has stated repeatedly she hated Cornell. Classy, always.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 09:43AM

jtwcornell91
French Rage

Well, yeah, especially since A&S has Physics, Chemistry, etc. If BA vs BS actually meant something from school to school, I would be at a disadvantage for having a Bachelor of Arts in Astrology.
FYP.

Date: March 11, 2009 09:56AM

ugarte
jtwcornell91
French Rage

Well, yeah, especially since A&S has Physics, Chemistry, etc. If BA vs BS actually meant something from school to school, I would be at a disadvantage for having a Bachelor of Arts in Astrology.
FYP.
I thought Astrology was a B.S.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 11, 2009 10:13AM

I despise Ann. Does the administration have the ability to revoke an embarrassing alumnus' (happy?) degree?

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: March 11, 2009 11:11AM

At my age, any estrogenized female looks good.:`-(

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.akamai.com)
Date: March 11, 2009 11:20AM

RatushnyFan
I despise Ann. Does the administration have the ability to revoke an embarrassing alumnus' (happy?) degree?
Thus making it official that agreeing with the opinions of some arbitrarily-chosen person is a requirement for getting a degree?

You and I may not like what she says, but to imply that her opinions make her unworthy of a degree is IMO more of a sign that you didn't learn enough at Cornell.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.akamai.com)
Date: March 11, 2009 11:22AM

KeithK
You don't read JSID, do you? :-)

Dissing Olbermann is always a good thing these days though.
Olbermann is a jackass and an ignoramus. He really should have stuck to sports. Sadly, similar things can be said for most of what passes for the establishment media these days.

Date: March 11, 2009 11:51AM

No, I'm not a fascist. I'm not a Republican but I get along fine with many Republicans. Ann deserves special treatment for frequently getting her facts wrong and speaking like a complete idiot, regardless of her opinions or politics. Perhaps I missed some of the special classes that you took, it's always possible.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: March 11, 2009 12:03PM

Kyle Rose
RatushnyFan
Thus making it official that agreeing with the opinions of some arbitrarily-chosen person is a requirement for getting a degree?

I agree, although I don't think it would be unreasonable for Cornell to issue a statement rebuking her statement and affirming the value and equivalence of degrees from all seven undergraduate colleges.

But, I doubt it would happen, and, its probably just playing into her attention-getting anyway, so better to leave stupid enough alone.

TimV
At my age, any estrogenized female looks good.:`-(

And that has what to do with Ann Coulter?

Posted by: RichH (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 12:25PM

Exactly the political pissing match I was hoping to head off at the pass and avoid the hockey board by starting the thread several days ago on JSID, but whatever. It's not like it's playoff season or anything.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 11, 2009 12:27PM

RatushnyFan
No, I'm not a fascist. I'm not a Republican but I get along fine with many Republicans. Ann deserves special treatment for frequently getting her facts wrong and speaking like a complete idiot, regardless of her opinions or politics. Perhaps I missed some of the special classes that you took, it's always possible.
No she doesn't. Special treatment for the really bad ones can too easily become special treatment for the sort of bad ones and maybe even special treatment for anyone who doesn't agree witht he party line. Let's not go there.

Date: March 11, 2009 12:44PM

ftyuv
ugarte
jtwcornell91
French Rage

FYP.
It is both an art and a science, really.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2009 01:17PM

ugarte
ftyuv
ugarte
jtwcornell91
French Rage

FYP.
It is both an art and a science, really.
So does that make it a B.A.S. or B.S.A.? (The later is short for bovine serum albumin; I don't know about the former.)

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 11, 2009 01:20PM

jtwcornell91
French Rage

Well, yeah, especially since A&S has Physics, Chemistry, etc. If BA vs BS actually meant something from school to school, I would be at a disadvantage for having a Bachelor of Arts in Astronomy.

Or for example, for my major, computer science, you get a B.S. from Engineering or a B.A. from A&S, despite the fact it's the same core courses (though real CS majors are in Engineering :P).

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 11, 2009 01:52PM

RichH
Exactly the political pissing match I was hoping to head off at the pass and avoid the hockey board by starting the thread several days ago on JSID, but whatever. It's not like it's playoff season or anything.
Age can banish it to JSID. Everyone on the board is familiar enough with each other's politics to predict exactly how everyone else is going to opine about this, probably verbatim, so hopefully we'll all refrain.

Coulter v. Olbermann: The Real Cornell
Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2009 04:15PM

Well, judging from what certain people say, not only do I know that I live in the Fake America, but I also know that I went to a Fake Cornell.

I'm somewhat surprised that this hasn't been posted here yet:

Alumni Fight!

For people who just want the video in YouTube form

Highlight: "Here is my receipt." *clunk*

Edit: Reading Coulter's column makes me wonder if this is the proper forum for this topic:

Among the graduates of the Ivy League Cornell are Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Thomas Pynchon, Paul Wolfowitz, E.B. White, Sanford I. Weill, Floyd Abrams, Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Ginsburg, Janet Reno, Henry Heimlich and Harold Bloom.

Graduates of the ag school include David LeNeveu of the Anaheim Ducks, Mitch Carefoot of the Phoenix RoadRunners, Darren Eliot, former professional hockey player, and Joe Nieuwendyk, multiple Stanley Cup winner.

One begins to understand why Harvard students threw a chicken on the ice during Cornell's famous rout of Harvard at a 1973 hockey game.

Regardless of your politics, this is pretty amusing. popcorn
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2009 04:24PM by RichH.

Re: The Real Cornell
Date: March 06, 2009 04:18PM

Holy shit, Ann Coulter is even more full of crap than I realized. wow

ETA: she also misses the fact that Kurt Vonnegut never graduated from Cornell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2009 04:24PM by jtwcornell91.

Re: Coulter v. Olbermann: The Real Cornell
Date: March 06, 2009 04:38PM

Olbermann is wrong about an Aggie being able to take "just as many courses" in endowed colleges as an Artsie, though. IIRC statutory college students can take no more that half of their courses in endowed colleges. Got to get some benefit for that extra tuition.

But, wow, "only the Arts and Sciences College is Ivy League" is the sort of "SUNY Ithaca" crap you expect to hear from students at other Universities, not from a Cornellian.

Date: March 06, 2009 05:19PM

What about engineering, are we still real? To go to real Cornell do you have to commit voting fraud, or is that just her?

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2009 05:23PM

Yeah, this is the part where I usually say something like "repeat after me: the Ivy League is an Athletic Conference." IMO, anyone who really gives a crap about the "Ivy League" label as a prestige chip has at least a little bit of insecurity.

Actually, IvyGate and Gawker have some pretty good takes at this elitism pissing match.

As an engineer, we often made fun of the hotelies mainly out of jealousy because they were all out at the bars by Wednesday night and actually had more than 30% women. Who were the smart ones?

Date: March 06, 2009 05:33PM

RichH
As an engineer, we often made fun of the hotelies mainly out of jealousy because they were all out at the bars by Wednesday night and actually had more than 30% women. Who were the smart ones?

Not to mention that they'd end up with more lucrative careers on average than the rest of us...

Posted by: Lauren '06 (206.12.55.---)
Date: March 06, 2009 07:28PM

jtwcornell91
RichH

Not to mention that they'd end up with more lucrative careers on average than the rest of us...
Shut up SHUT UP
[/English major]

Date: March 06, 2009 09:03PM

Ms. Coulter, we have a name for people who say such retarded things about the SUNY schools: Colgate students.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2009 03:53PM

Wow.

I already thought that Ann Coulter is one of the lowest, poor-excuses-for-a-human-being, more like cow dung than actual intelligent life, things on the planet... but she still managed to shock me by dropping even lower.

Trying to make it sound like Ag is unrelated to Cornell, just happening to share a name, rather than a full fledged, equally valid school is ridiculous. I mean, its not like he's a hotelie (previous comments on that subject already read and concurred with).

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2009 11:27PM

DeltaOne81
Wow.
I already thought that Ann Coulter is one of the lowest, poor-excuses-for-a-human-being, more like cow dung than actual intelligent life, things on the planet... but she still managed to shock me by dropping even lower.

Can't someone go back and check her swim test result? Anything—anything—to dissociate her from our fair alma mater.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 07, 2009 11:44PM

Scersk '97
DeltaOne81
Wow.

Can't someone go back and check her swim test result? Anything—anything—to dissociate her from our fair alma mater.

She probably passed. After all, she's a witch, and witches float.

Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 12:00AM

Killer
Scersk '97
DeltaOne81
Wow.

I imagine it went down as a "no contest", as the lifeguards probably vomited and passed out after seeing those anorexic chicken legs in a bathing suit.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 09, 2009 09:05AM

sah67
Killer
Scersk '97
DeltaOne81
Wow.

I imagine it went down as a "no contest", as the lifeguards probably vomited and passed out after seeing those anorexic chicken legs in a bathing suit.

OK, that's an image I really didn't want. I think I'm going to look at some photos of the pink uniforms again, in order to get Ann out of my head.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: March 09, 2009 11:04AM

Killer
Scersk '97
DeltaOne81
Wow.

Churches! Churches!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2009 11:37PM

jtwcornell91
Olbermann is wrong about an Aggie being able to take "just as many courses" in endowed colleges as an Artsie, though. IIRC statutory college students can take no more that half of their courses in endowed colleges. Got to get some benefit for that extra tuition.

But, wow, "only the Arts and Sciences College is Ivy League" is the sort of "SUNY Ithaca" crap you expect to hear from students at other Universities, not from a Cornellian.
Actually, can't they take as many as they want, but they are limited to how many they can get at a state rate? I don't know the exact wording but I always thought it was a financial thing.

Posted by: Weder (159.54.131.---)
Date: March 11, 2009 12:13AM

Jim Hyla
jtwcornell91

Actually, can't they take as many as they want, but they are limited to how many they can get at a state rate? I don't know the exact wording but I always thought it was a financial thing.

From the Ag School's graduation requirements:

Maximum credits from endowed colleges: 55 endowed credits can be completed without incurring excess tuition charges. Endowed credits include all courses from departments in the College of Arts and Sciences, Architecture, Art, and Planning, Engineering, the Hotel School, the Johnson School of Graduate Management, and the Law School. Courses completed during the summer and winter sessions do not count against the 55 endowed credit limit.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)

[thread drift]

It made me stop and think: how many different Colleges gave the courses I took? Answer: 4.

Mostly Eng. and Arts, but I took one or two in the Ag. School and one in Hotel (wine-tasting, of course).

[/thread drift]

Date: March 11, 2009 09:58AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
[thread drift]

It made me stop and think: how many different Colleges gave the courses I took? Answer: 4.

Mostly Eng. and Arts, but I took one or two in the Ag. School and one in Hotel (wine-tasting, of course).

[/thread drift]
Likewise; and I always studied in the ILR library. It was, bar none, the best library on campus for actual studying (as opposed to napping or chatting while pretending to study).

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2009 01:22PM

Weder
Jim Hyla
jtwcornell91

From the Ag School's graduation requirements:

Maximum credits from endowed colleges: 55 endowed credits can be completed without incurring excess tuition charges. Endowed credits include all courses from departments in the College of Arts and Sciences, Architecture, Art, and Planning, Engineering, the Hotel School, the Johnson School of Graduate Management, and the Law School. Courses completed during the summer and winter sessions do not count against the 55 endowed credit limit.
Thanks.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: March 11, 2009 02:02PM

jtwcornell91

The university has eliminated that restriction in recent years. Olbermann may still be wrong if he's referring to the time he was in school, though.

Date: March 11, 2009 06:13PM

RatushnyFan
I despise Ann. Does the administration have the ability to revoke an embarrassing alumna's (happy?) degree?

FYP :-}

(I guess you could argue it should be alumnae, genitive. No neuter jokes, please.)

Date: March 11, 2009 06:17PM

ftyuv
Jeff Hopkins '82
[thread drift]

[/thread drift]
Likewise; and I always studied in the ILR library. It was, bar none, the best library on campus for actual studying (as opposed to napping or chatting while pretending to study).
I found it useful for napping. Then again, I was ILR so if there was a place in that building you could nap, I found it.

Date: March 11, 2009 08:10PM

ugarte
ftyuv
Jeff Hopkins '82
[thread drift]

[/thread drift]
I found it useful for napping. Then again, I was ILR so if there was a place in that building you could nap, I found it.
How proletarian; those of us in the Ivy College would nap only in proper venues, like classes.

Date: March 11, 2009 09:32PM

ftyuv
ugarte
ftyuv
Jeff Hopkins '82
[thread drift]

[/thread drift]
How proletarian; those of us in the Ivy College would nap only in proper venues, like classes.
I NAPPED IN CLASSES FOR A FRACTION OF THE PRICE. HERE'S MY RECEIPT!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2009 10:05PM

ugarte
ftyuv
ugarte
ftyuv
Jeff Hopkins '82
[thread drift]

[/thread drift]
I never did that in a class. No sir. Not in Math 294 in Kimball B11. Not a-once. whistle

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 11:22PM

Josh '99
ugarte
ftyuv
ugarte
ftyuv
Jeff Hopkins '82
[thread drift]

[/thread drift]
I never did that in a class. No sir. Not in Math 294 in Kimball B11. Not a-once. whistle
I slept in class a lot my first semester. This taught me a valuable lesson. My bed is a lot more comfortable than a classroom. So then I just stopped going to those classes.

Ann Coulter and Bill Maher
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 11:23PM

Ann Coulter and Bill Maher are on tour this week - New York on Monday, Boston on Tuesday, Chicago on Wednesday. By the time I got the notice about Chicago there weren't any tickets left through Ticketmaster. Anybody else get to see them? [www.politico.com]

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 12:05AM

ugarte
ftyuv
ugarte
ftyuv
Jeff Hopkins '82
[thread drift]

[/thread drift]

We Engineering students napped at the bottom of the gorge...for eternity!

Date: March 12, 2009 12:34AM

French Rage
ugarte
ftyuv
ugarte
ftyuv
Jeff Hopkins '82
[thread drift]

[/thread drift]

Anyone who manages to top that is going to hell. I could try and make a joke from the Sun's perspective, but I don't believe in hell, so it'd be a waste of a perfectly good one-way ticket.

ugarte?

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.220.---)
Date: March 12, 2009 12:56AM

ftyuv
French Rage
ugarte
ftyuv
ugarte
ftyuv
Jeff Hopkins '82
[thread drift]

[/thread drift]

Anyone who manages to top that is going to hell. I could try and make a joke from the Sun's perspective, but I don't believe in hell, so it'd be a waste of a perfectly good one-way ticket.

ugarte?

I heard Engineers used to nap in the hydraulics lab. I guess that would constitute the bottom of the gorge now...

Date: March 12, 2009 08:29AM

jtwcornell91
RatushnyFan
I despise Ann. Does the administration have the ability to revoke an embarrassing alumna's (happy?) degree?

FYP :-}

(I guess you could argue it should be alumnae, genitive. No neuter jokes, please.)
Thanks. I guess she is still deserving of the female graduate reference. It's a close call, though.

Date: March 12, 2009 11:53AM

French Rage
ugarte
ftyuv
ugarte
ftyuv
Jeff Hopkins '82
[thread drift]

[/thread drift]

I NAPPED FOR ETERNITY FOR A FRACTION OF THE PRICE!

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 04:31PM

ugarte
French Rage
ugarte
ftyuv
ugarte
ftyuv
Jeff Hopkins '82
[thread drift]

[/thread drift]

I NAPPED FOR ETERNITY FOR A FRACTION OF THE PRICE!

I napped through significant fractions of astro[nom/log]y classes in which eternity was discussed and paid the full price.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2009 04:32PM by Scersk '97.

Re: Ann Coulter humor
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2009 09:50AM

I thought people might find this reference to Ann Coulter in the 7/26/09 "Get Fuzzy" comic amusing.

Hey, it has been a slow off-season. ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login