Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Hydraulic Lab

Posted by 2 
Hydraulic Lab
Posted by: 2 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2009 12:26PM

Apparently the hydraulic lab under the footbridge west of Beebe Lake collapsed recently.

Cornell Sun

Does anyone have any details? What are they doing with the debris? When exactly did it happen? Is there video of this? Will they put something else there or at least clean the cliff face to restore it to a natural look?

Re: Hydraulic Lab
Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: February 19, 2009 01:49PM

The article that you provided a link for has the answers to some of your questions right in it:

Does anyone have any details?
So far, the Sun article you posted is all I can find online.

What are they doing with the debris?
"The process of how the building’s debris will be cleaned up — if at all — is currently unknown."

When exactly did it happen?
All that's known is "end of last week." The earliest it seems anyone noticed it, according to The Sun article was Friday afternoon. I'm most amused that all the officials contacted by Monday night for the story, including the University's press relations office, as well as the CUPD and IPD were completely oblivious to the news.

Is there video of this?
Are you sure you're not billhoward? Do you want it in HD or would the standard-def slow motion video suffice? ;-) I'm going to say "no" on the possibility of a video existing. Considering this was most likely a spontaneous event caused by decay of the structure, the odds that someone with a video camera out and filming on Thurston Bridge at the exact time it happened are extremely low, unless it was an act of extreme vandalism, which would be a crime. Also, every inch of campus isn't covered by wecams, thankfully.

Will they put something else there or at least clean the cliff face to restore it to a natural look?
I'm sure University officials are at least due to discuss this. I'd be willing to bet big bucks that nothing will be built in it's place...the roads and infrastructure needed to access the old ruins no longer exist, and building something in the gorge like that would cost a lot and also be exposed for the same sort of decay.

Anyway, it's too bad. That was a landmark that I liked a great deal. The before/after pictures were quite surprising. Here's a fantastic photo of the Hydraulic lab which was posted 2 months ago on Flickr:
[www.flickr.com]

And MetaEzra has posted an old postcard image of the lab in its operational days:
[www.metaezra.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2009 01:55PM by RichH.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 19, 2009 02:13PM

Does anyone know why the University never demolished the lab? I would have thought something structurally unsound would be condemned by some government body.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 19, 2009 08:18PM

nyc94
Does anyone know why the University never demolished the lab? I would have thought something structurally unsound would be condemned by some government body.
Speculation, but probably because it was pretty.

Posted by: 2 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2009 10:59AM

RichH
The article that you provided a link for has the answers to some of your questions right in it:

I was asking the questions because the article didn't have real answers to all of those (as you showed), and I thought someone else might have heard more.

There was access to the lab from ground level at the southern end of the footbridge there. I just hope the school doesn't leave a mess there with bricks and beams sticking out of the cliff. I'm sure they'll have to clean the debris from the water.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2009 12:13PM

I suspect any sort of excavation of the ruins will likely be very costly due to the remoteness of the location. Absent any sort of environmental concern a la the Gun Factory, don't expect the site to be cleaned up.

According to the Ithaca Journal, the site was once considered for remediation in the early 90s -- an alumni reception center would have been built. That would have been pretty damn cool, if you ask me.

[www.theithacajournal.com]

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: February 20, 2009 01:25PM

I may catch some flack for this, but I never thought the lab was particularly nice to look at. I thought it had great potential, but by the time I got there ('02-'06), it just looked like decaying trash.

I'd have loved it if they'd built a glass and steel structure into/around the existing stone structure for one of those hip new-plus-old looks.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2009 05:14PM

mnagowski
I suspect any sort of excavation of the ruins will likely be very costly due to the remoteness of the location. Absent any sort of environmental concern a la the Gun Factory, don't expect the site to be cleaned up.

Right. But you still can't burn a dragon on St. Patrick's Day.wtf

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login