Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Spitzer

Posted by mnagowski 
Spitzer
Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2008 12:38PM

What a fall. Admittedly I was already getting quite annoyed with him, but he may have been the State's best shot at changing the way Albany is run. To think I actually had some respect for the guy at one point.

Although who knows, maybe it takes an event like this for the politicos to wake up and smell the roses. Combined with rapidly declining revenues from Wall Street, maybe push will really come to shove.

In my opinion, a hatchet job really needs to be done on about half of the state's budget, and some creative policies need to be created to address the Upstate/Downstate divide. Upstate needs a budget like a Wisconsin or a Minnesota, not a huge urban metropolis.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2008 12:39PM by metaezra.

Re: Spitzer
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 12, 2008 05:32PM

Couldn't happen a nicer guy. The way he conducted himself as AG makes me pleased at the way things are going for him.

You're right about NYS government being dysfunctional though. I don't really understand the mechanics of it, but as I understand it the legislative process is almost entirely dependent on the heads of the Assembly and Senate plus the governor. Rank and file legislators have very little practical power. This is almost certain to produce lousy results, given basic human tendencies.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2008 10:29PM

Spitzer in his prime could have taken down the Duke lacrosse players. No guilty plea but the reparations from the consent decree would've killed their lives just as much.

Four grand for a hooker for the evening ... and she wasn't even supposed to be the elite of the agency. Bill Clinton never would have paid that much.

Need to Tivo the Leno and Letterman and monologues.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2008 01:16AM

Spitzer is a sanctimonious dickhead hypocrite who deserves to end up in PMITA prison under RICO laws for eliminating the Emperor's Club's competition while AG. Don't drop the soap, Eliot!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2008 10:39AM

metaezra
and some creative policies need to be created to address the Upstate/Downstate divide. Upstate needs a budget like a Wisconsin or a Minnesota, not a huge urban metropolis.

What do you mean by this?

Date: March 13, 2008 11:00AM

Jim Hyla
Not going to speak for metaezra, but IMO for reasons of both budget and general legislative behavior, upstate NY would be a wonderful place to live if Westchester-and-south were its own state. It would be mostly like a bigger Vermont.

As things stand, I will not live in NY again because it is ruled from Westchester/NYC/LI, and I have no interest in living in a state where all the rules are made by people who share nothing in common with me. As a separate state, I would move back to Ithaca tomorrow. Seriously.

Kyle
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2008 11:01AM by krose.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2008 11:23AM

krose
Jim Hyla
Not going to speak for metaezra, but IMO for reasons of both budget and general legislative behavior, upstate NY would be a wonderful place to live if Westchester-and-south were its own state. It would be mostly like a bigger Vermont.

As things stand, I will not live in NY again because it is ruled from Westchester/NYC/LI, and I have no interest in living in a state where all the rules are made by people who share nothing in common with me. As a separate state, I would move back to Ithaca tomorrow. Seriously.

Kyle

Staying out of the general Spitzer discussion for professional reasons, but wanted to drop my two cents in on this point at least... while the politics of upstate certainly differs from that of downstate, it's important also to remember that downstate to a significant extent pays for upstate.

Of course I presume in your version of "West New York," the 51st state, there'd be a libertarian tax system which works perfectly. :-) But there's a reason not everybody who loves upstate as much as you do would be as quick to celebrate that kind of secession.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 13, 2008 11:27AM

Beeeej
it's important also to remember that downstate to a significant extent pays for upstate.
Fabulous. I'm sure upstate NYer's can cover what they need, just as those in VT and NH do.

Of course I presume in your version of "West New York," the 51st state, there'd be a libertarian tax system which works perfectly. :-)
Please don't put words in my mouth.

But there's a reason not everybody who loves upstate as much as you do would be as quick to celebrate that kind of secession.
Sure. Which is one of the many reasons why I won't be looking for houses in Ithaca anytime soon.

Kyle

Date: March 13, 2008 11:33AM

krose
Beeeej
Of course I presume in your version of "West New York," the 51st state, there'd be a libertarian tax system which works perfectly. :-)

Man, and I used an emoticon and everything.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2008 11:34AM by Beeeej.

Date: March 13, 2008 11:35AM

Beeeej
Thus justifying an ad hominem remark and straw man fallacy?

Kyle
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2008 11:36AM by krose.

Date: March 13, 2008 11:40AM

krose
Beeeej
Thus justifying an ad hominem remark?

I apologize for attributing libertarian views to you based on considerable evidence from your postings in the past, and then questioning whether those views are realistic in the context of the exact scenario we were discussing. And I'm sorry you don't have a thicker skin and can't recognize good-natured ribbing even when it's offered to you on a platter labeled "good-natured ribbing" in 48-point Garamond.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: March 13, 2008 11:42AM

Beeeej
krose
Beeeej

He was upset that you called the new state "West New York" instead of Albania.

And while I agree with the consensus that AG Spitzer was a dickhead, he was a dickhead who set his mind to reforming a system that was more sleight of hand than invisible hand, and so insanely corrupt that stealing from shareholders was the accepted business model.

The perp walks, bullying tactics and orchestrated press conferences to set up a run for governor don't reflect well on him and call to mind another famous asshole out of NYC who I hope is also finished in politics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2008 11:45AM by ugarte.

Date: March 13, 2008 11:46AM

Beeeej
And I'm sorry you don't have a thicker skin
I in fact have an incredibly thick skin. You are mistaking my desire to point out your dismissing my points (good-natured or not) with my taking offense at it. I assure you, I am neither offended nor defensive. ;-)

Kyle

Date: March 13, 2008 11:54AM

krose
Beeeej
And I'm sorry you don't have a thicker skin
I in fact have an incredibly thick skin. You are mistaking my desire to point out your dismissing my points (good-natured or not) with my taking offense at it. I assure you, I am neither offended nor defensive. ;-)

Oh, well, then, carry on. :-) I don't think I was dismissing your points, but reasonable minds can differ on all sorts of things.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: March 13, 2008 12:31PM

krose
Beeeej
it's important also to remember that downstate to a significant extent pays for upstate.
Fabulous. I'm sure upstate NYer's can cover what they need, just as those in VT and NH do.

Bah, NH's government is buttressed by sales taxes from all the people coming up from Massachusetts to take advantage of the lack of sales tawaitaminute....

Posted by: mnagowski (---.allfirst.com)
Date: March 13, 2008 12:48PM

krose

I'm not certain if Vermont would be the best analogy, as Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, etc. are all pretty urban areas with a lot of problems. Wisconsin may be a more apt comparison. Certainly the swath from Ithaca up to Albany and the Adirondacks would feel a lot like Vermont.

And to Beeeej's point, there certainly is a net flow of dollars from Downstate to Upstate, but a lot of those dollars are used to support pretty bloated government programs that Downstate may demand, but Upstate may well be able to do without. Then there's the fact that a lot of Upstate's resources (cheap hydro energy, fresh water, etc.) end up getting used by Downstate. Plus, Upstate would probably end up receiving a lot more federal money as a separate state.

I tend to be pretty liberal, and I'm certainly not a libertarian, but when it comes to New York State politics, it's pretty clear that a hatchet job needs to be done. Spitzer may have been the best chance for something going down, but I suppose he went down on somebody else instead...

Here's a quick synopsis of the problem:

[www.bcnys.org]

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: March 13, 2008 01:36PM

metaezra
And to Beeeej's point, there certainly is a net flow of dollars from Downstate to Upstate, but a lot of those dollars are used to support pretty bloated government programs that Downstate may demand, but Upstate may well be able to do without. Then there's the fact that a lot of Upstate's resources (cheap hydro energy, fresh water, etc.) end up getting used by Downstate. Plus, Upstate would probably end up receiving a lot more federal money as a separate state.

That's really a great summary of the difference of the upsate/downstate mindsets metaezra. Upstaters see it: 'we have to pay this huge tax rate and see very little return for it." as certain areas keep getting more and more depressed. Their perception is that much of their money is being gobbled up by the "big, bad city" and the growth around it. Downstaters see it: "OUR money generated by our robust economy is being used to subsudize the poor dirt farmers upstate." Of course, to many in NYC, "upstate" means White Plains, and there might be some land past that or something.

Every few years, some state assemblyman introduces a secession bill for "West New York" that never leaves the floor, but may win a few votes back home when it makes the local news. That sort of thing is also always there for California & Illinois and I'm sure a few other states. TX, VA, SC are some guesses.

Full disclosure, I've lived much of my life in the Southern Tier near the PA border, but most of my family is from the NYC area. I'm a huge advocate for upstate NY, yet have grown to love everything NYC and Eastern LI have to offer. I hated Hillary carpetbagging into NY for senatorial election convenience, however since she's taken in office has done a wonderful job paying attention to upstate needs.

Now, I live in central CT, and I'm struggling to comprehend the obsessive provincial compulsion of many locals to associate with the concept of "New England" here. Not only is this place nothing like VT, NH, and Maine, but most absolutely laugh at the idea that Central NYS could have things like fall foliage, maple syrup, outdoor activities (both lake and mountain-based), and harsher winter weather. For some, there might as well be a wall built at the NY-CT border, even though the Hudson Valley is closer than Boston.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2008 02:29PM by RichH.

Date: March 13, 2008 01:57PM

RichH
yet have grown to love everything NYC and Eastern LI have to offer.
Let me make it clear that I love NYC as well. But I don't see why NYC legislative priorities should apply to rural voters in upstate NY. I strongly suspect separating NY into two states divided at the Putnam/Westchester line would dramatically improve the overall happiness of each group.

FWIW, I grew up in southern Dutchess County, so I am not speaking out of my ass... on this topic, at least. ;-)

Kyle

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2008 03:02PM

Beeeej

I assume you mean that there is a net flow of tax dollars from NYC to upstate. While that has been true with the Wall Street boom, that has not always been true. You don't have to back too far to remember when upstate had to bail out a bankrupt NYC. These things change over time, and I for one would not want to take too strong a stand one way or another.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.allfirst.com)
Date: March 13, 2008 03:25PM

Jim Hyla
It has been true with the Wall Street boom, that has not always been true. You don't have to back too far to remember when upstate had to bail out a bankrupt NYC. These things change over time, and I for one would not want to take too strong a stand one way or another.

And hey, maybe with the way the dollar is falling, manufacturing is restarting, and the way Wall Street is imploding, maybe Upstate will arise again.

I'll also say this to anybody living in Phoenix or Texas or Georgia -- don't come begging to us when you run out of fresh water.

Date: March 13, 2008 03:32PM

metaezra
I'll also say this to anybody living in Phoenix or Texas or Georgia -- don't come begging to us when you run out of fresh water.
This is an interesting point. It will become substantially more expensive to live in arid climates as the population grows. The good news is that people in those areas are likely to rediscover cisterns and water reclamation, to mitigate the rather outrageous prices they are likely to pay for fresh water. Nonetheless, it will be interesting to watch.

Kyle

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2008 04:35PM

RichH
Now, I live in central CT, and I'm struggling to comprehend the obsessive provincial compulsion of many locals to associate with the concept of "New England" here. Not only is this place nothing like VT, NH, and Maine, but most absolutely laugh at the idea that Central NYS could have things like fall foliage, maple syrup, outdoor activities (both lake and mountain-based), and harsher winter weather. For some, there might as well be a wall built at the NY-CT border, even though the Hudson Valley is closer than Boston.

I'm from Connecticut! And yes, it's not like VT, NH, and Maine, but it is like Southern New England - Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and itself. There are also a LOT of people that regularly travel into Northern New England, but not so much outside the region, to ski, to visit family, to go to summer camps, or to summer houses. I don't know many people that cross the border to do that, unless they were originally from outside New England. And except for the western third of CT, we pretty much all like the Boston teams (except for hockey, where there are still a lot of Whalers fans who've scattered their allegiances). We're a region for a reason.

But you're right - we draw a line at the NY border and pretending that the rest of the United States can't compare is silly.

Now, back to the discussion of Eliot Spitzer and his hooker :)

Connecticut
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: March 13, 2008 05:17PM

Liz '05
We're a region for a reason.

What reason? I've lived in CT for the better part of three years now and still don't get it- the insane level of pride, the idea that CT is in anyway like other parts of New England, the defensiveness. To me CT seems as much like Jersey (if not more) than Mass or RI.

And don't get me started on the car tax...

Date: March 13, 2008 06:40PM

OK...I don't mean this to pile on CT, because overall, I do like it here. (And trust me, I'd love to get to Spitzer's hooker...ahem) But I feel like I need a chance to respond, and thread drift on JSID is probably the most minor sin possible...

Liz '05

Like Chris asked, what reason? It's a made-up reason that's been engrained in your head based on imaginary borders. My best guess why: It's cooler and has more cachet to say you're from "New England" than it is to say you're from Connecticut. Instead of loving CT for what it is (and making it the best CT it could be), people tend to try to force it to be what it isn't...based on the "New England" ideal. And that's too bad.

It is an obsession. I had a conversation recently in CA with a colleague who is originally from the Hartford suburbs, and he told a story from when Bob Kraft was jockeying for a new stadium by threatening to move the Patriots to Hartford. Someone he knew from Boston said to him "Hey, can you believe they want to move the Patriots out of New England?" My colleague got visibly angry even in the retelling of how he couldn't believe that a Bostonite didn't count Connecticut as part of New England. The nerve! It's all well and good to be exclusive until someone else excludes you, eh?

As far as sports allegiences go here, I feel this is ground-zero of the Red Sox-Yankees border war. I'd agree that the further East you go from Hartford, the more Soxy you get, and the further South you go (and closer to the MetroNorth sphere of influence), NYY takes over. It actually makes me feel incredibly sorry for CT Mets fans...they may as well be rooting for the Nippon Ham Fighters for all the coverage they wind up getting. I'm about ready to pretend I'm a Mets fan just to join the fight to get SNY (which Comcast owns) up here for the outstanding hockey/lax coverage they provide. As for football, I discovered recently that there are a lot of older NY Giants fans...because the Pats didn't even exist for them back-in-the-day.

OK, back on topic...odd how the 3 states of the "Tri-State Area" have had their governors all resign in disgrace a few years apart, huh?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2008 06:41PM by RichH.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2008 07:18PM

RichH
Liz '05
Like Chris asked, what reason? It's a made-up reason that's been engrained in your head based on imaginary borders.
Because Boston is just like the Cape which is just like Worcester which is just like the Berkshires. And Manchester, Durham, and Nashua have so much in common. And...well, I haven't lived in Vermont yet, so I'm out sarcastic examples. To the extent "New England" is an accurate term after the Revolution it is only as an ideal of those small towns with their one white church and common. You can find fifty of these in all six states, I promise you. But even our tiny Northeastern states have so much diversity within their own borders that it's silly to pretend that their state identities are so strong compared to any cross-border identity. If we let Kyle redraw the maps maybe they'd be a bit stronger, but there are always going to be two identical towns across the state border from each other. Connecticans didn't assign the term "New England" to themselves, so it seems silly to blame them for using it. And I assure you, Ledyard does look exactly like Londonderry. It's just that people in New Hampshire look to Boston because there's nowhere else to look, but Connecticut (well, part of it) has the best (and worst) of both worlds. Do you think the overall differences are starker than those amongst residents of the Midwest or the South? Can't we all just agree we're better than those places?

Date: March 13, 2008 07:36PM

RichH
Like Chris asked, what reason? It's a made-up reason that's been engrained in your head based on imaginary borders.
It's not an imaginary reason. There's a perfectly good historical reason why CT is part of New England. The New Haven and Connecticut colonies were part of the "United Colonies of New England" as far back as 1643 and then later the "Dominion of New England". Obviously New England hasn't been a political entity for 200+ years, but the populace still remembers their history and attachment, much the same as southerners do. New York and New Jersey were later added to the Dominion, but as later additions that were originally Dutch they had a different character are were never really considered part of NE by the populace.

(Note: source material was wikipedia, but I have no reason to think any of this would be wrong.)

Re: Connecticut
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2008 07:45PM

Chris '03
To me CT seems as much like Jersey (if not more) than Mass or RI.
As a New Jersey native, I am offended by the suggestion that Connecticut is like us. cuss

New Jersey: Irrationally Proud :-D

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: March 13, 2008 07:57PM

Jacob 03
Do you think the overall differences are starker than those amongst residents of the Midwest or the South? Can't we all just agree we're better than those places?

Yeah, except that a lot of the people in my hometown (in WNY) act like midwesterners, which gives me a similar "open your borders and your minds will follow" attitude towards there that I have around here. As in it's politically liberal, socially conservative in both places (save for the REALLY rural people.)

Anyway...all this has awakened the "federalist" portion of my political psyche. Screw the inconsistencies of standing on one side of this line on the map or the other. Blue Laws?? Alcohol sales, interstate commerce...even in these modern times? Another example: what's the reason that each state has to have a painfully bureaucratic DMV when we could have 1 painfully bureaucratic system? (yeah, yeah...hoo-boy...I know) Are the rules of the road across the nation really all that different that we can't have a Federal test and I don't have to jump through 80 hoops every time I move across a state line?

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: March 14, 2008 10:49AM

Josh '99
Chris '03
To me CT seems as much like Jersey (if not more) than Mass or RI.
As a New Jersey native, I am offended by the suggestion that Connecticut is like us. cuss

New Jersey: Irrationally Proud :-D

NJ's zipcodes start with zero as do New England's. This must be based on some fundamental similarity. whistle

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 14, 2008 10:56AM

Unfortunately for your argument the COnstitution doesn't give the federal government the power to open and run DMV's and issue licenses in the states. Or at least, no one has tried to warp the "I Can Do Anything As Long As I Say Commerce" clause into covering this.

Federalism is a good thing. It's a very good thing that NY can set a higher minimum age for driving than Montana, for both places. Distributing the power lets local people (or more local) pick laws that better suit them. And if you don't like the laws chosen by your neighbors you can move somewhere where the laws will suit you (especially easy in this day and age). One size fits all solutions are much less likely to be locally optimal and probably involve even bigger bureaucracies to manage their large size.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2008 01:28PM by KeithK.

Posted by: Robb (---.griffin.managedbroadband.co.uk)
Date: March 14, 2008 11:16AM

I am surprised that the Federal Government hasn't tried to horn it's way into states' DMV business more than it already has (e.g. extorting the states into adopting standard speed limits). If some Commerce Department bureaucrat were ever to argue that drivers' licenses should be subject to federal regulations because those licenses are used by truckers for interstate commerce - well, it certainly wouldn't be the dumbest thing ever argued under the commerce clause...

Date: March 14, 2008 12:13PM

Robb
If some Commerce Department bureaucrat were ever to argue that drivers' licenses should be subject to federal regulations because those licenses are used by truckers for interstate commerce - well, it certainly wouldn't be the dumbest thing ever argued under the commerce clause...
And that's pretty much the definition of damning with faint praise.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2008 12:39PM

KeithK
It's a very god thing that NY can set a higher minimum age for driving than Montana, for both places.

It's also a good thing that New York State varies the minimum age for driving by county. I could drive at age 16 in Erie County. Not so on Lawn Guy Land.

One would think that if they could vary driving ages within the state, they could also vary things like state income taxes and Medicaid mandates.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: March 14, 2008 12:58PM

Some states don't even have a DMV. Massachusetts, for instance.

RMV FTW!

Date: March 14, 2008 01:08PM

Robb
I am surprised that the Federal Government hasn't tried to horn it's way into states' DMV business more than it already has (e.g. extorting the states into adopting standard speed limits). If some Commerce Department bureaucrat were ever to argue that drivers' licenses should be subject to federal regulations because those licenses are used by truckers for interstate commerce - well, it certainly wouldn't be the dumbest thing ever argued under the commerce clause...

I'm also surprised, considering the mess with the Real ID Act. It's really confusing, what with all the deadlines and age cutoffs and extension requirements constantly being tinkered with and pushed off. As it stands now, unless your state files an extension waiver, your licenses will be invalid for air travel and entering federal facilities this May 11. (Maine, NH, SC, and Mont. are the holdouts, despite many more states passing resolutions against Real ID. AZ and NY got extensions without even asking for them.

[www.news.com]
[www.usatoday.com]
[en.wikipedia.org]

Basically, if not for the opposition by a lot of lawmakers themselves, I could see the Feds saying, "OK, fine...you want to make this difficult? We're Federalizing licenses." But they were wussies with replacing the dollar bill with a dollar coin like Canada and every other country has done, so why would they be strong on this too?

For the record, I feel Real ID is a Bad Thing and just reading this stuff again has soothed my federalist itch.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2008 01:10PM by RichH.

Date: March 14, 2008 01:36PM

metaezra
One would think that if they could vary driving ages within the state, they could also vary things like state income taxes and Medicaid mandates.
Is there a good justification for varying the state income tax by county? If the idea is to support and fund the state government then everyone across the state should pay the same rates. It would be a different story if you removed many of the responsibilities/expenses from the state level and give them to the counties. Then lower state taxes dramatically and have the counties set their own variable rates (they can be collected by the state - NYC does this).

In the abstract this would be a very good thing - tax competition. Probably lots of potential negatives.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login