Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cover jinx?

Posted by David Harding 
Cover jinx?
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 09:12PM

Land on the cover of CAM [cornellalumnimagazine.com] and look what happens to you [www.news.cornell.edu].

At least we still have the best motto. [www.news.cornell.edu]

Re: Cover jinx?
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (129.2.170.---)
Date: August 11, 2007 08:51AM

Very lame.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2007 07:22PM

First a hockey player from RPI, now a dean from us. Poaching assholes.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2007 10:27PM

I found this a bit odd from the CAM article:

I think that the reality of urban situations, where the competition and the everyday reality and hardship are a little more physical, is maybe not a bad thing--especially in this field. We're not doing theoretical physics here; we're dealing with subjects that are deeply rooted in the world.
Followed by:

Is there a specific area in which you would like AAP to be stronger than it has been in the past?

I would like us to be known as an important intellectual center for the production of contemporary art.

I bet a couple of you would disagree, but to me, there's something odd and creepy (in the "sigh, the more academics change the more they stay the same" kind of way) in identifying a problem with Cornell being too stuck on its ivory throne, and then turning around and saying the thing you want to improve is the school's status among intelligentsia for contemporary art.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 12, 2007 09:17AM

ftyuv

I think that the reality of urban situations, where the competition and the everyday reality and hardship are a little more physical, is maybe not a bad thing--especially in this field. We're not doing theoretical physics here; we're dealing with subjects that are deeply rooted in the world.
Followed by:

Is there a specific area in which you would like AAP to be stronger than it has been in the past?

I would like us to be known as an important intellectual center for the production of contemporary art.

I bet a couple of you would disagree, but to me, there's something odd and creepy (in the "sigh, the more academics change the more they stay the same" kind of way) in identifying a problem with Cornell being too stuck on its ivory throne, and then turning around and saying the thing you want to improve is the school's status among intelligentsia for contemporary art.
My read is that the first question was about the first A (or maybe the P) and his answer to the second question dealt with the second A.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2007 10:15AM

ugarte
ftyuv

Followed by:

My read is that the first question was about the first A (or maybe the P) and his answer to the second question dealt with the second A.

I agree that that's what he was probably thinking, but it's still off for me. To identify a problem with the kind of elitist isolation we have, but then not identify that as the thing you want to improve in AAP, is exactly what I'm talking about. Academics make lip service about making their studies relevant to the world at large, but when it comes down to it, their priorities are still focused around being seen as the top dog among fellow elite academics.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: August 13, 2007 10:25AM

ftyuv
I agree that that's what he was probably thinking, but it's still off for me. To identify a problem with the kind of elitist isolation we have, but then not identify that as the thing you want to improve in AAP, is exactly what I'm talking about. Academics make lip service about making their studies relevant to the world at large, but when it comes down to it, their priorities are still focused around being seen as the top dog among fellow elite academics.
I suppose that he would disagree and say that contemporary art is not exclusively a snooty ivory tower pursuit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login