Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

30th Anniversary

Posted by Rita 
30th Anniversary
Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: February 25, 2007 04:03PM

Here is an interesting tidbit that I picked up while listening to the Edmonton audio of today's Edmonton/Minnesota game.

On February 25, 1977, in Johnstown, PA, the movie "Slapshot" made its debut.

I remember seeing it at the Drive-in movies during the summer of 1977. My parents wanted to see the movie and well, with three kids under the age of 8, decided not to get a baby-sitter and thought the kids would fall asleep after the "family friendly" first movie. My brothers were asleep, but I was wide awake through it all. I had been playing hockey for 2 years, so there was no way I was sleeping through a hockey movie.

So forget the Oscars tonight, stay home and rewatch a classic :).

Reggie Dunlop:: They brought their fuckin toys!

Re: 30th Anniversary
Posted by: WillR (---.br1.glv.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 25, 2007 07:25PM

I just never seem to tire of hearing lines from this movie. It is probably the greatest movie ever made. Afterall when you lace up the skates no one ever whispers "Rosebud".

As something of an aside, i played in a hockey tournament 2 weeks ago and one of the players was actually named Hanrahan. Sadly, he didn't play goalie. I can only wonder how many times people have told him that his wife is a dike.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 27, 2007 06:03PM

WillR
I just never seem to tire of hearing lines from this movie. It is probably the greatest movie ever made. Afterall when you lace up the skates no one ever whispers "Rosebud".

As something of an aside, i played in a hockey tournament 2 weeks ago and one of the players was actually named Hanrahan. Sadly, he didn't play goalie. I can only wonder how many times people have told him that his wife is a dike.

Probably very few. Dyke, however...

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: March 14, 2007 02:43AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
WillR

Probably very few. Dyke, however...

Jeff, I think you are being a bit of a dyckhead. :)

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2007 04:29PM

A not-uncommon mistake. We had a writer whose copy slipped through two levels of copy edit, about a nagging problem that left you with "that finger in the dyke feeling."

Date: April 19, 2007 09:58AM

The link below has an update on what the Hanson Brothers are up to these days.

[www.twincities.com]

Re: slap shot remake... UGGGHHHHH
Date: February 04, 2009 01:49PM

Why can't Hollywood let things be?!!? It was bad enough that they did the Slap Shot sequels. Hockey in the 70's is much different than it is today and they just won't be able to do the original any justice. cuss

From nhl.com (2/4/09)
=======
'Slap Shot' remake planned Wednesday, 02.04.2009 / 12:35 PM / News NHL.com There have been sequels to "Slap Shot" the legendary hockey movie that starred the late Paul Newman and the film that created the Hanson Brothers sensation, but no remake.

According to Daily Variety, that is about to change.

Variety reports Universal Pictures is ready to drop the puck on a "Slap Shot" remake, selecting Dean Parisot to direct the redo of the 1977 hockey comedy classic.

Peter Steinfeld ("21";) is writing the script and Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall will produce according to the publication.

The original starred Newman as the fading player/coach of a minor league hockey team. Trying to hype the Charlestown Chiefs of the Federal League for a possible move South, the coach ramps up interest by turning his team into a group of brawlers.

When Steinfeld took the writing job and spoke about it last summer, Internet pundits were critical of the notion of updating a favorite sports film. Yet such nostalgic resistance certainly did not hurt "The Longest Yard" remake, a global hit that grossed far more than the original.

Parisot last directed the remake of another comedy "Fun With Dick and Jane."
====
Maybe we can suggest to the writers a "blow job in the stands" scene, (but we should get $$ for the suggestion up front and not wait for the gate receipts!).

Re: slap shot remake... UGGGHHHHH
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 05, 2009 12:19PM

Great. They're comparing it to the remake of "The Longest Yard." That remake completely sucked.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login