Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Two Cornell mentions on TV 2/22/07 + Colbert Report 3/21

Posted by nyc94 
Two Cornell mentions on TV 2/22/07 + Colbert Report 3/21
Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 23, 2007 02:34PM

30 Rock: Tracy Morgan and his entourage were discussing the whereabouts of previous members of the group and he says one of them is "studying Hotel Management at Cornell".

And Conan O'Brien had Prof. Steven Kaplan talking about bread.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2007 12:32AM by nyc94.

Re: Two more Cornell mentions on TV 2/22/07
Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: February 23, 2007 02:51PM

nyc94
30 Rock: Tracy Morgan and his entourage were discussing the whereabouts of previous members of the group and he says one of them is "studying Hotel Management at Cornell".
"That's a good program. Good for him."

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2007 03:13PM

ugarte
nyc94

Please, it's, "Well go ahead, Fat Balls. That's a good program."

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: February 23, 2007 03:50PM

nyc94

And Conan O'Brien had Prof. Steven Kaplan talking about bread.

As well as alumnus Keith Olbermann '79.

"Night of a Thousand Cornellians...only on NBC!"

Date: February 23, 2007 04:00PM

If anyone follows The Office closely, did they ever give Ed Helms a big send-off? I missed last week's episode. It seems like he just disappeared. Last night Karen said she was the only one left from the Stamford office.

Posted by: mttgrmm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2007 04:12PM

yeah i noticed that too.

he left in episode 3x14, titled "The Return", it's the one in which Dwight is working at Staples and Michael goes and gets him to come back.

Andy loses his mind and punches a wall after Michael tells him off (and Jim hid his phone in the ceiling and kept calling it... "large tuna, have you seen my cellular telephone device?";).

then they have a christmas party and he's not there, but they never actually say like "he's fired" if i remember correctly. he shows up at the end looking through a window of the break room, but that's the last i've seen of him.

(i have these downloaded, i'm not just running this back from memory...)

Date: February 23, 2007 04:22PM

Chris '03
ugarte
nyc94

Please, it's, "Well go ahead, Fat Balls. That's a good program."
Mea Culpa. I knew I shouldn't have gone forward without remembering the name."

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 23, 2007 04:30PM

nyc94
If anyone follows The Office closely, did they ever give Ed Helms a big send-off? I missed last week's episode. It seems like he just disappeared. Last night Karen said she was the only one left from the Stamford office.
She also said that Ed Helms' character is in anger management, which I guess means he'll be back.

Date: February 23, 2007 04:36PM

mttgrmm
yeah i noticed that too.

he left in episode 3x14, titled "The Return", it's the one in which Dwight is working at Staples and Michael goes and gets him to come back.

Andy loses his mind and punches a wall after Michael tells him off (and Jim hid his phone in the ceiling and kept calling it... "large tuna, have you seen my cellular telephone device?";).

then they have a christmas party and he's not there, but they never actually say like "he's fired" if i remember correctly. he shows up at the end looking through a window of the break room, but that's the last i've seen of him.

(i have these downloaded, i'm not just running this back from memory...)

Thanks. I thought he was in the scenes in the office at the very beginning of the Phyllis' Wedding episode although he may not even have had a line. It made sense that he wouldn't be at the wedding. Even if he was potentially the worst Cornell alum on TV he was pretty funny.

edit:

She also said that Ed Helms' character is in anger management, which I guess means he'll be back.

I somehow missed that. Maybe he'll be back when Ed Helms can work in some time off from Harold and Kumar 2.
[www.imdb.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2007 04:38PM by nyc94.

Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2007 09:13PM

Josh '99
nyc94

Andy, the Cornell alum portrayed by Ed Helms, is indeed attending anger management classes (recall that he punched a hole in the wall). This information was revealed in a deleted scene posted at nbc.com, but was never shown on air.

As an aside, a few weeks ago there was a debate among hardcore Office fans (present company included crazy) whether the deleted scenes should have “counted” in the Office canon, even though they were never officially aired.

Nevertheless, Andy will definitely return to The Office, as Ed Helms was promoted by NBC to a series regular.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2007 09:27PM

min
Andy, the Cornell alum portrayed by Ed Helms, is indeed attending anger management classes (recall that he punched a hole in the wall). This information was revealed in a deleted scene posted at nbc.com, but was never shown on air.
Karen definitely said at the party (that is to say, in a scene that aired) that Ed Helms' character was at anger management classes.

Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2007 12:37PM

Josh '99
min
Karen definitely said at the party (that is to say, in a scene that aired) that Ed Helms' character was at anger management classes.

That's right; I agree with you. My minor point is that, until Karen's scene at the party in last week's episode, for three episodes you wouldn't have known where Andy was, unless you checked out the deleted scenes on nbc.com which show Andy driving off to anger management classes. But of course, it's mostly a moot point now.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 27, 2007 04:48PM

min
That's right; I agree with you. My minor point is that, until Karen's scene at the party in last week's episode, for three episodes you wouldn't have known where Andy was, unless you checked out the deleted scenes on nbc.com which show Andy driving off to anger management classes. But of course, it's mostly a moot point now.
Oops, sorry. Misunderstood you.

Re: Two Cornell mentions on TV 2/22/07 + Colbert Report 3/21
Date: March 22, 2007 12:39AM

Anyone see Stephen Colbert's "Better Know A District" on Wednesday, March 21? In the 434-part "Better Know A District" series Colbert interviewed Congressman Maurice Hinchey of New York's "Fighting 22nd". Before the interview Colbert mentions that the 22nd is home to Cornell University and that Cornell used to have a live bear at football games. If you watch Colbert you know how he feels about bears.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2007 02:17AM

Hinchey was my assemblyman when I was a kid.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (129.2.170.---)
Date: March 22, 2007 08:27AM

Touchdown, like all bears, is a godless killing machine without a soul! I hope Cornell doesn't end up on the 'dead to me' list.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 22, 2007 11:09AM

jtwcornell91
Hinchey was my assemblyman when I was a kid.
I'm sorry.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: March 22, 2007 12:27PM

nyc94
Anyone see Stephen Colbert's "Better Know A District" on Wednesday, March 21? In the 434-part "Better Know A District" series Colbert interviewed Congressman Maurice Hinchey of New York's "Fighting 22nd". Before the interview Colbert mentions that the 22nd is home to Cornell University and that Cornell used to have a live bear at football games. If you watch Colbert you know how he feels about bears.

For those of you who missed it, and aren't home for any of the 5 replays on Comedy Central, the segment is available on the Comedy Central website. A picture of the campus and a couple of Touchdown (accompanied by one booing audience member).

[www.comedycentral.com]

Some nits to pick, seeing as this is the first "BKAD" district profiled that I have personally lived in (1 down, 6 to go).

1) In the show's opening, the teaser for the segment was "I profile the congressional district that contains the Finger Lakes. It's the only way I can write off my summer home." I wouldn't say the Fightin' 22nd contains any of the lakes. Somehow they found a way to make a nice, gerrymandered tunnel to include Ithaca. The Fightin' 24th and Fightin' 29th lay claim to just about all of the Finger Lakes themselves. But nice nod by Stephen to acknowledge that it's a great place to vacation.

2) Interesting that Stephen chose sides in the big "originator of the Spiedie" debate in mentioning Augie's in Endicott, since Sharkey's in Binghamton also claims that title. Glad I've got a bottle of Salamida's sauce at home for when I get the craving.

3) Say what you will about Hinchey, but this was one of the most normal interviews in the series...there was really nothing embarassing/contradictory about his quirks or stances that Colbert could exploit...only the Woodstock/brown acid joke.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (129.2.170.---)
Date: March 22, 2007 12:43PM

Technically, the Fightin' 22nd does include the bottom of Cayuga Lake as the lake touches the City and Town of Ithaca, which are gerrymandered into the district. It probably has a whopping 5 miles of Finger Lakes coastline.

The acid horse was hilarious.

Date: March 22, 2007 06:14PM

Now if I could just get my hands on some of this:

Date: March 22, 2007 06:35PM

nyc94
Now if I could just get my hands on some of this:

I'm trying to get my hands on one of these.

Re: Two Cornell mentions on TV 2/22/07 + Colbert Report 3/21 + Ugly Betty 3/22/07
Posted by: Bio '04 (128.118.170.---)
Date: March 23, 2007 01:01PM

Yesterday (March 22, 2007) on "Ugly Betty," Alexis (Alex) Meade's new assistant said he went to Cornell.

Posted by: KP '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2007 11:38PM

Is that the Harvard "We Suck" picture in the background of the Touchdown segment?

Nice easter egg.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2007 04:40PM

KP '06
Is that the Harvard "We Suck" picture in the background of the Touchdown segment?

Nice easter egg.

That is Harvard Stadium in the background. Schoellkopf doesn't have a press box over the crescent as we all know. Insert Touchdown and the ref and this picture looks very similar. ;-)

Date: April 12, 2007 11:15PM

Quick No.1 Cornell beats 'Cuse mention on the Daily Show Lax Report before the Duke Non-Case was the real story.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login