Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Any Ideas for the Proposed Development In Ithaca

Posted by likeshockey 
Any Ideas for the Proposed Development In Ithaca
Posted by: likeshockey (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 03, 2007 01:13PM

I am a graduate student in NYU's Real Estate Institute. In my Development Process course, my group is assigned a feasibility study of Southwest Area development site.

The City seeks to convert the vacant site into a vibrant, mixed-income urban neighborhood with as many as 600 housing units and compatible uses. The development site is situated in the southwest portion of Ithaca, contiguous to the 61-acre Southwest Natural Area and within walking distance of shopping, Buttermilk Falls State Park, and the Cayuga Inlet, which is heavily used for non-motorized boating. Ithaca, home to Cornell University and Ithaca College, is in Tompkins County, which enjoys the strongest economy in upstate New York.

As a student, I did not go into the city of Ithaca often. In fact, I think I can count the number of times on my hand. I have not been to the school in a number of years. So I don't know what the living and working atmosphere is like downtown. I am trying to understand where the people will be coming from to live in this new housing. I read that the growth will come from 45-54 age group. Are these professors retiring or alumni coming back to area? Would they really want to live in this area? Also, besides the universities where are the employment opportunities in the area? With all the new buildings on campus, does anyone know if high technology companies are planning on locating near the university?

I imagine that this forum has a number of people that could give some insight into understanding Ithaca and its needs. I appreciate any thoughtful analysis. Thank you

Re: Any Ideas for the Proposed Development In Ithaca
Posted by: 2 (59.94.114.---)
Date: February 06, 2007 05:51AM

That's an interesting idea, but I wonder if it won't turn into more affordable housing and another somewhat shady neighbrhood in Ithaca. Tompkins County may have the strongest economic north and west of the City,but there is already a seedy character to part of the town. I believe that is why Ithaca has been mentioned several times as an place for criminals and witnesses to flee in Law & Order.

There is a senior citizen living center on Triphammer that caters to older alumni and faculty who return to or stay in Ithaca, but it seems that 45-54 is an odd age for newcomers to a town. Most people don't retire that early. I wonder if they will try to sell the housing as a place for people from more rural communities who want to move to Ithaca. In any case, it strikes me as odd and perhaps a little unrealistic to build this.

Perhaps you could call the chamber of commerce or someone in municipal gov't to see if there is expanding industry in the area. Maybe they'll be building airplanes or cash registers in Ithaca again. But I prefer it if they just build hockey teams.

Date: February 13, 2007 09:56PM

My project group is going to make the trip to Ithaca this weekend. I have not been to the school in twenty years. Can someone recommend a good place to have lunch? I remember the 9's, Royal Palm, the greek restaurant, Moosewood etc. I am sure most of them are gone. Thanks

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2007 10:24PM

To the contrary - the Nines, the Royal Palm ("the Palms";), and Moosewood are still there. I don't know what you mean by "the greek restaurant," but if you mean The Greek House on Dryden Road in C-town, that's only recently closed, but there are a few other good Greek places in town, including Souvlaki House on Eddy Street. And I don't think the Palms serves food anymore, though I could be mistaken.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: reilly83 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2007 12:36AM

Hope you'll get to the games this weekend! I think the chili festival is Saturday so you can get some ideas about what life is sometimes like on the Commons.

I know nothing about real estate development, but just from following the news and reading editorials, I can tell you about some of the attitudes you might encounter here, in general terms.

You will meet a great deal of resistance against any type of development in Ithaca, especially because your project is large, dense, and so close to the Southwest Natural Area. To make it palatable, you will have to make it "green." And forget high-rise buildings. There will be resistance to any change of the viewscape. (There might even be a building height limit in the city IIRC.)

I have no answer about why the 45-54 age group is expected to grow, but I am not sure that they are looking to live in the city. People seem to be moving to the towns outside of the city, either because it is considered more affordable or because of the perception that the schools are better. Generally, there seems to be an anti-wealth sentiment and alot of desire that low and middle income housing be built. However, some successful developers, do believe that upscale apartments are going to be rentable downtown. Check out this gateway commons web-site advertising a new building at the foot of the State Street hill and then check it out in real life when you visit.

Good luck with your project!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2007 12:39AM by reilly83.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2007 01:27AM

You may want to look at [dining.14850.com] for Ithaca restaurant info. Although I recall doing the chili cook-off thing for lunch when I was in town for the corresponding weekend last year.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: February 14, 2007 12:30PM

Beeeej
And I don't think the Palms serves food anymore, though I could be mistaken.

Well...beer is food isn't it? uhoh

Posted by: likeshockey (---.VPN.NYU.EDU)
Date: February 15, 2007 03:47PM

I hear that Ithaca has 2 feet of snow. Is it true? If it is true, then I think that I will postpone my trip another week. The greek restaurant is the Souvlaki House. Do any of the bars still have the happy hour special of a pitcher of beer for $3?

Posted by: BCrespi (209.191.175.---)
Date: February 15, 2007 05:54PM

likeshockey
I hear that Ithaca has 2 feet of snow. Is it true? If it is true, then I think that I will postpone my trip another week. The greek restaurant is the Souvlaki House. Do any of the bars still have the happy hour special of a pitcher of beer for $3?

Put off your trip and miss a huge hockey weekend just because of a little snow?? Ithaca doesn't want your development anyway!;-)

See if you can postpone until home playoff games? That may be acceptable.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 15, 2007 06:05PM

BCrespi
likeshockey

Put off your trip and miss a huge hockey weekend just because of a little snow?? Ithaca doesn't want your development anyway!;-)

See if you can postpone until home playoff games? That may be acceptable.
After all, what's a hockey road trip without inclement weather?

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2007 03:54PM

likeshockey
My project group is going to make the trip to Ithaca this weekend. I have not been to the school in twenty years. Can someone recommend a good place to have lunch? I remember the 9's, Royal Palm, the greek restaurant, Moosewood etc. I am sure most of them are gone. Thanks

You can go back but you may not like it. You probably should look for the best restaurant around, in your price range, not the restaurant you liked that has survived two decades. In a place as vibrant as Ithaca, restaurants and nightspots change constantly, and so does the pecking order of who's best.

Date: February 16, 2007 04:56PM

billhoward
likeshockey

You can go back but you may not like it. You probably should look for the best restaurant around, in your price range, not the restaurant you liked that has survived two decades. In a place as vibrant as Ithaca, restaurants and nightspots change constantly, and so does the pecking order of who's best.
When you're going back to the town where you went to college after many years nostalgia is probably more important than quality. In that situation I'd rather eat in the mediocre place I frequented as a student than at the "vibrant" new hot spot. But YMMV.

Date: February 16, 2007 05:11PM

KeithK
billhoward
likeshockey

When you're going back to the town where you went to college after many years nostalgia is probably more important than quality. In that situation I'd rather eat in the mediocre place I frequented as a student than at the "vibrant" new hot spot. But YMMV.

I say, partake of whichever brunch has the highest concentration of Anbinders. That usually works out pretty well.

Date: February 16, 2007 10:13PM

jtwcornell91
KeithK
billhoward
likeshockey

I say, partake of whichever brunch has the highest concentration of Anbinders. That usually works out pretty well.

Is that measured in molarity?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Robb (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 12:38AM

Beeeej
jtwcornell91
KeithK
billhoward
likeshockey

I think it's more of a quantum phenomenon, not something that can be treated as a continuum...

Date: February 19, 2007 12:11PM

Robb
Beeeej
jtwcornell91

I think it's more of a quantum phenomenon, not something that can be treated as a continuum...
Good, because I really don't want to go to the brunch that has one and a half Anbinders.

Date: February 19, 2007 10:27PM

What is Anbinders? Is it a restaurant?

Date: February 19, 2007 10:39PM

likeshockey

How can I not come up with a witty response to that??? Dang...

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2007 11:55PM

Robb
likeshockey

Yeah, this should be a punchline contest.

Date: February 20, 2007 12:16AM

Robb
likeshockey

It's really more like a buffet.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.201.---)
Date: February 20, 2007 12:29AM

Beeeej
Robb
likeshockey

It's really more like a buffet.
(commence lame joke)
a buffet of eloquent BS that is generally served in an extremely polite manner
(stop lame joke)

Date: February 20, 2007 07:56AM

Robb
likeshockey

How about "a restaurant's natural predator"?

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: February 20, 2007 10:52AM

Robb
likeshockey

It isn't a restaurant but it is a lot of real estate.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (129.2.170.---)
Date: February 20, 2007 12:30PM

reilly83
Generally, there seems to be an anti-wealth sentiment and alot of desire that low and middle income housing be built.

The desire to build middle- and low- income housing stems from the fact that there isn't enough of it in Tompkins County, and what low to moderate income housing we have already is not located within a reasonable driving distance of major employers but instead is in Ulysses, Lansing, Caroline, Danby, and to a lesser extent Cortland, Candor, Groton, the Village of Dryden et cetera. Despite how expansive TCAT is, its still not the NYC subway or bus system; car ownership is almost a necessity due to the weather and hills. The end result of this is elevated prices, which are well above what they should be for a city the size of Ithaca. More low- and middle- income housing is needed, badly.

Date: February 21, 2007 11:12PM

Can anyone recommend a real estate broker who can show me affordable housing in downtown Ithaca?

Date: February 24, 2007 03:18AM

likeshockey
Can anyone recommend a real estate broker who can show me affordable housing in downtown Ithaca?

I live in LA. ALL housing in downtown Ithaca is affordable by my standards... :(

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login