Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

random grammar question

Posted by DeltaOne81 
random grammar question
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 24, 2007 11:43AM

Isn't "quick thinking" poor grammar? Shouldn't it be "quickly thinking". As in "The quick thinking officer thwarted the criminal's plan" or some such. Or is there some grammar rule I'm missing.

This is motivated by an weekly word puzzle, and I figured you guys on here would know, or at least have an opinion ;)

Re: random grammar question
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 24, 2007 12:02PM

DeltaOne81
Isn't "quick thinking" poor grammar?

Not if "thinking" is a gerund (a noun referring to the action described by the corresponding verb). In that case "quick" is an adjective modifying that noun. As in "That was some quick thinking back there, boss!"

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: January 24, 2007 12:08PM

jtwcornell91
DeltaOne81

Not if "thinking" is a gerund (a noun referring to the action described by the corresponding verb). In that case "quick" is an adjective modifying that noun. As in "That was some quick thinking back there, boss!"

This confirms my instinct that in the original case, "quick thinking" should be a hyphenate adjective: the quick-thinking cop.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 24, 2007 12:19PM

ugarte
jtwcornell91
DeltaOne81

This confirms my instinct that in the original case, "quick thinking" should be a hyphenate adjective: the quick-thinking cop.

If it 'twere a gerund, yes, but in the context, its not.

How does adding a hyphen help? Does it just make it one word and hence the rules of grammar don't apply within a word? Or something more subtle/arcane?

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2007 02:24PM

DeltaOne81
ugarte
jtwcornell91
DeltaOne81

If it 'twere a gerund, yes, but in the context, its not.

How does adding a hyphen help? Does it just make it one word and hence the rules of grammar don't apply within a word? Or something more subtle/arcane?

definitely not a gerund, as "thinking" is not acting as a noun in this case. i would say that "thinking" is a participle acting as an adjective modifying the noun (officer). therefore, "quick" is (or at least should be) an adverb, as you suspect.

as to why it is "quick" and not "quickly," i would suggest that "quick" is one of several words that used to act as both adjective and adverb without modification (like its synonym, "fast";). because many an adverb is formed by the addition of the "-ly" suffix, people began using "quickly" in some contexts. if "quickly" has come to dominate, then only common colloquial phrases like "quick thinking" bear evidence of the past use. off the top of my head, another example would be "high." high jumping people still exist, though nowadays it is more common for them to think highly of themselves.

hyphenation of "quick-thinking" would be advisable if the writer believes there might be some confusion without the additional clue that it is a compound modifier and not a pair of serial modifiers (an adjective and a participle acting as adjective). that "quick thinking" is such a common phrase means one can likely do without the hyphen. hyphenation should not have any bearing on the rules of grammar otherwise.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 24, 2007 02:33PM

Jacob 03
[A]s to why it is "quick" and not "quickly," i would suggest that "quick" is one of several words that used to act as both adjective and adverb without modification (like its synonym, "fast";). because many an adverb is formed by the addition of the "-ly" suffix, people began using "quickly" in some contexts. if "quickly" has come to dominate, then only common colloquial phrases like "quick thinking" bear evidence of the past use. off the top of my head, another example would be "high." high jumping people still exist, though nowadays it is more common for them to think highly of themselves.
I disagree. I think the reason that people use "quick thinking" in this context is because they are use to hearing the gerund form. As a result that starts to sound more natural in all cases. That and the fact that people are increasingly lazy about using the proper adverb forms. I've heard "he ran quick" many times, but it certainly is not and has never in the recent past been correct.

Since this is a sports site we should discuss the similarly annoying "I played good".

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2007 02:58PM

KeithK
Jacob 03
[A]s to why it is "quick" and not "quickly," i would suggest that "quick" is one of several words that used to act as both adjective and adverb without modification (like its synonym, "fast";). because many an adverb is formed by the addition of the "-ly" suffix, people began using "quickly" in some contexts. if "quickly" has come to dominate, then only common colloquial phrases like "quick thinking" bear evidence of the past use. off the top of my head, another example would be "high." high jumping people still exist, though nowadays it is more common for them to think highly of themselves.
I disagree. I think the reason that people use "quick thinking" in this context is because they are use to hearing the gerund form. As a result that starts to sound more natural in all cases. That and the fact that people are increasingly lazy about using the proper adverb forms. I've heard "he ran quick" many times, but it certainly is not and has never in the recent past been correct.

Since this is a sports site we should discuss the similarly annoying "I played good".

you may be right, keith. every dictionary i've checked (including webster's 1928) lists "quick" as an adverb without caveat, but many online grammar guides suggest it is only to be used as an adverb informally. i'm not sure laziness would be a culprit, however, as even john locke carefully crafted sentences which used "quick" this way. and i would definitely avoid equating "he ran quick" with "i played good."

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 24, 2007 03:07PM

Jacob 03
you may be right, keith. every dictionary i've checked (including webster's 1928) lists "quick" as an adverb without caveat, but many online grammar guides suggest it is only to be used as an adverb informally. i'm not sure laziness would be a culprit, however, as even john locke carefully crafted sentences which used "quick" this way. and i would definitely avoid equating "he ran quick" with "i played good."
Fair enough. I didn't check any dictionaries regarding "quick" so I may be incorrectly applying my general impressions about adverb misuse here.

Equating it or not, I still hate that damn expression.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2007 08:24PM

The grammar police seem to be working. I don't think in the past couple weeks any player has said, after a game in the month of January, "I played good."

Posted by: Robb (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2007 11:18PM

billhoward
The grammar police seem to be working. I don't think in the past couple weeks any player has said, after a game in the month of January, "I played good."

Now that's funny. Thanks for brightening my day!

:-P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login