Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

CU in Elmira?

Posted by redice 
CU in Elmira?
Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-221-175.myvzw.com)
Date: August 02, 2006 06:34PM

In an interview on WETM-TV news tonight: Robbie Nichols, GM of Elmira's First Arena, reports that Cornell is considering playing up to 9 home games at the First Arena this fall. CU has until Sept 15th to make a decision.
Let's hope this is not necessary. CU Hockey belongs at Lynah.

Re: CU in Elmira?
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: August 02, 2006 07:52PM

[q]Let's hope this is not necessary. CU Hockey belongs at Lynah.[/q]Since there's no way that the Lynah renovation will be complete by November, Cornell hockey will definitely be somewhere other than Lynah this fall. The only question is where.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: August 02, 2006 09:32PM

The capacity for the First Arena is 4000. The War Memorial in Syracuse holds 6230 for hockey.

It would be nice to try out a bigger place for at least a few dates.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 02, 2006 10:16PM

KeithK
Since there's no way that the Lynah renovation will be complete by November, Cornell hockey will definitely be somewhere other than Lynah this fall. The only question is where.

Can you substantiate this?

Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-221-175.myvzw.com)
Date: August 02, 2006 10:48PM

KeithK
[q]Let's hope this is not necessary. CU Hockey belongs at Lynah.[/q]Since there's no way that the Lynah renovation will be complete by November, Cornell hockey will definitely be somewhere other than Lynah this fall. The only question is where.

As I understand it, if Lynah is not ready, the home games will be played at the First Arena. The location is not in doubt.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2006 11:46PM

Roy 82

It would be nice to try out a bigger place for at least a few dates.

12,000+ in Rochester. Elmira's closer and probably cheaper. Rochester produces pretty good college hockey players & has more alums than the other two cities. That'd be my vote, if I had one.

The prospect of having to break in a new goalie, replace excelerated losses on defense, compensate for the graduation of the team's top scorer, and the likely chance of having to play half (or more) of its home games away from home should make for one heck of a challenge.

lgr...

Posted by: RedFromLJ (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2006 11:51PM

MY question is: How will they do tickets for the fall games that are played elsewhere? Will there be shuttles? Will there be advance tickets through Cornell at all? Where are my pants?

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2006 12:08AM

RedFromLJ
MY question is: How will they do tickets for the fall games that are played elsewhere? Will there be shuttles? Will there be advance tickets through Cornell at all? Where are my pants?

No matter what happens with games away from Lynah, you can be assured it will be a disaster.

Personally (and with no real knowledge of the situation), I'm optimistic that all the home games will be played in Lynah this season. I have no reason to believe the press box and seating can't be done by the end of October. It really doesn't matter when the new locker rooms and offices are completed. As long as there are seats and the old locker rooms, I expect games at Lynah. But maybe I'm a fool for thinking that.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: August 03, 2006 01:13AM

Chris '03
RedFromLJ

No matter what happens with games away from Lynah, you can be assured it will be a disaster.

Personally (and with no real knowledge of the situation), I'm optimistic that all the home games will be played in Lynah this season. I have no reason to believe the press box and seating can't be done by the end of October. It really doesn't matter when the new locker rooms and offices are completed. As long as there are seats and the old locker rooms, I expect games at Lynah. But maybe I'm a fool for thinking that.

I think the biggest issue if the lockeroom etc. extension is not done is fire exits. That entire side of the rink is supposed to have fire exits out where the construction would likely still be continuing, so I don't know if IFD would let them have that many people in the building.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: August 03, 2006 01:25AM

RedFromLJ

This is a very good question. I certainly hope the Athletic Dept. has thought about it. There are a lot of students on campus who don't have cars and who still should have access to the hockey games. Besides, as ithacat pointed out, the season will not be a cakewalk this year, and Cornell could probably use some help from the Lynah Faithful.

Perhaps a ticket to the game could get you onto the bus to Elmira - hoardes of freshmen would use this option. Throw another dollar into the price of the tix with the understanding that it goes towards transportation to the game, if you're concerned about the cost. If you're concerned about safety/insurance, put another clause on the back of the ticket.

It would get people there, it would get people there on time (a pet peeve of much of this board, I imagine), and it might give people a taste for road trips. I see this idea as nothing but good, and the lack of it as detrimental to the team and the creation of devoted hockey fans.

Read this, Athletic Dept!

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: August 03, 2006 01:32AM

Liz '05
Throw another dollar into the price of the tix with the understanding that it goes towards transportation to the game, if you're concerned about the cost.

Or leave the price where it is; Athletics has inflated the cost of tickets over the past few years because demand allowed them to do so. Now I'm sure games played in Elimira will be less in demand, so they can use that extra profit margin to get students there.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-193-7.myvzw.com)
Date: August 03, 2006 07:19AM

jtwcornell91
Liz '05
Throw another dollar into the price of the tix with the understanding that it goes towards transportation to the game, if you're concerned about the cost.

Or leave the price where it is; Athletics has inflated the cost of tickets over the past few years because demand allowed them to do so. Now I'm sure games played in Elimira will be less in demand, so they can use that extra profit margin to get students there.

In addition to the usual costs, there will be a cost associated with using the First Arena (or whatever non-Lynah arena they chose to use). The shuttle idea is a great one! I hope that comes to pass. And, don't worry about lack of demand for tickets to CU games in Elmira. Yes, there will be some season ticket holders who don't make the trip to Elmira. But, the Elmira-area hockey fans will more than make up that deficiency. There is a LOT of people in the Elmira-area who would love to see a Cornell game. But, most never do because they perceive that tickets are unavailable (due to sellouts at Lynah). You can count on sellouts in Elmira!!

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 03, 2006 09:56AM

Liz '05
RedFromLJ

This is a very good question. I certainly hope the Athletic Dept. has thought about it. There are a lot of students on campus who don't have cars and who still should have access to the hockey games. Besides, as ithacat pointed out, the season will not be a cakewalk this year, and Cornell could probably use some help from the Lynah Faithful.

Perhaps a ticket to the game could get you onto the bus to Elmira - hoardes of freshmen would use this option. Throw another dollar into the price of the tix with the understanding that it goes towards transportation to the game, if you're concerned about the cost. If you're concerned about safety/insurance, put another clause on the back of the ticket.

It would get people there, it would get people there on time (a pet peeve of much of this board, I imagine), and it might give people a taste for road trips. I see this idea as nothing but good, and the lack of it as detrimental to the team and the creation of devoted hockey fans.

Read this, Athletic Dept!
If Quinnipiac can ship students to Hartford for their "home" games, there's no reason Cornell can't do the same... except stupidity.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: August 03, 2006 10:39AM

It would certainly cut down on the facetimer problem...

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2006 10:44AM

Section A Banshee
]
If Quinnipiac can ship students to Hartford for their "home" games, there's no reason Cornell can't do the same... except stupidity.

If given the chance to choose the QU athletics dept. or the CU athletics dept., I'm with QU every time. It's really not fair to compare the sports adminstration and marketing professionals at QU with the wresting department at Cornell. It's insulting to the Fighting Deer Ticks.

Date: August 03, 2006 10:47AM

That's Skating Deer Ticks.

Posted by: CUontheslopes (204.42.175.---)
Date: August 03, 2006 11:29AM

When I spoke to Gene in June, he told me they thought the rink would be ready for the first game and that construction was well ahead of schedule.

Posted by: Omie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 03, 2006 11:47AM

Seriously sometimes people have to let go a little on the whole "facetimer" issue, everyone is a facetimer at one time and how do expect for the fanbase to grow if you don't allow facetimers everyonce in a while.

Question is... How many student tickets will be sold this year since they expanded the seating, but the seating at Lynah would still be less than that at other venues?

Date: August 03, 2006 12:15PM

redhair34
KeithK
Since there's no way that the Lynah renovation will be complete by November, Cornell hockey will definitely be somewhere other than Lynah this fall. The only question is where.

Can you substantiate this?
Nope. I just don't have any reason to think that the rink will be ready based on all of the information that is available plus a little bit of cynicism about construction schedules. Maybe CUontheslopes is right and it will be done. I don't know. To be honest, my post was more a snap response to the last line of your original post that sounded like wishful thinking. We all agree that Cornell hockey should be in Lynah if possible.

Date: August 03, 2006 01:15PM

Omie
Seriously sometimes people have to let go a little on the whole "facetimer" issue, everyone is a facetimer at one time and how do expect for the fanbase to grow if you don't allow facetimers everyonce in a while.
You're conflating "facetimer" and "newbie."

The Faithful constantly renews itself through showing newbies what the traditional cheers are, and by showing them what the (rough) parameters are for doing impromtu stuff. As the newbies learn, they begin to participate on their own, add new things, and keep the "Wall of Sound" of Lynah thundering on.

A "facetimer" isn't there to be part of the Faithful at all. It's just another chance to accumulate and expend social capital. If the ping pong team, the Glee Club, or the Women's Studies program was hip this season, he/she would be there instead.

Allah bless the newbies and call down camel pox upon the facetimers.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: August 03, 2006 01:23PM

Trotsky
A "facetimer" isn't there to be part of the Faithful at all. It's just another chance to accumulate and expend social capital.
You can easily tell who the facetimers are: they're well-represented by the gaggle of chicks standing near me my senior year who didn't understand hockey, didn't care, and spent the entire time talking with each other instead of paying attention to the game. You know, the ones who say, "What just happened?" whenever the Faithful start booing a particularly egregious call, or who tell you to stop shouting in their ear when you scream something at the opposing goalie.

It's too bad I'm not actually a student anymore, because I would now have no problem responding to that sort of shit with "Get lost, facetimer." But then again, I've become more crass in lots of ways (and less tolerant of bullshit) with each passing year... pretty soon, it'll be time to get a cane or crook my finger so I'll have something to wag at young'uns when they irritate me. :)

Kyle

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: August 03, 2006 02:23PM

krose
You can easily tell who the facetimers are: they're well-represented by the gaggle of chicks standing near me my senior year who didn't understand hockey, didn't care, and spent the entire time talking with each other instead of paying attention to the game. You know, the ones who say, "What just happened?" whenever the Faithful start booing a particularly egregious call, or who tell you to stop shouting in their ear when you scream something at the opposing goalie.

Not caring is the worst part. Not understanding and asking why is forgivable...everyone needs to learn sometime. But not caring? Boo!

Posted by: longtimered (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 03, 2006 03:15PM

What, with global warming Beebee doesn't freeze anymore? I understand outdoor hockey is in vogue.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: August 03, 2006 05:52PM

jtwcornell91
Athletics has inflated the cost of tickets over the past few years because demand allowed them to do so.

Considering I spent 36 bucks per ticket (plus 10-20 for parking) to watch Syracuse football go 1-10 last year, continue to count me among those who think Cornell hockey is priced at a discount. Well, ok, maybe I'm the only one.

Date: August 03, 2006 06:03PM

ithacat
jtwcornell91
Athletics has inflated the cost of tickets over the past few years because demand allowed them to do so.

Considering I spent 36 bucks per ticket (plus 10-20 for parking) to watch Syracuse football go 1-10 last year, continue to count me among those who think Cornell hockey is priced at a discount. Well, ok, maybe I'm the only one.
Shhhhhhhhh!

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 03, 2006 11:24PM

KeithK
ithacat
jtwcornell91

Shhhhhhhhh!

It could be worse. Decent basketball tickets to conference games can start in the 40s. Of course, to be fair, students can get in to football games for 17.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: August 07, 2006 09:59AM

I ran into Anita Brenner in Lowe's on Friday. She said that while the contractors suggest having a contingency plan just in case, they're quite confident it will be ready in time.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2006 05:17PM

At the end of the O'Byrne story in Friday's Ithaca Journal [www.ithacajournal.com] we find this report.
[q]Cornell notes: Schafer said construction on the Lynah Rink renovation is on schedule and they hope to have ice in the rink before the month is out. It still will be some time before they know for sure whether Cornell's early season games can be played at Lynah.
[/q]

Posted by: Oat (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2006 10:40PM

Beebe still freezes, but it's a death trap for hockey players.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-195-103.myvzw.com)
Date: September 20, 2006 06:27PM

WETM-TV news (in Elmira) just reported that Cornell officials have confirmed that CU will not be playing home games in Elmira. They went on to say the remodeled Lynah Rink will be ready for CU's home games. Not a big surprise. But, it was heartening to hear it said. LGR

Posted by: BMac (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 21, 2006 01:22AM

I honestly don't understand people's pessimism...it's not like the AD is doing the construction, people. It's professionals.

Bad-dum-BOOM!

Thank you, thank you very much. Try the mashed potatoes.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2006 01:23AM by BMac.

Posted by: redice (66.195.232.---)
Date: September 21, 2006 12:24PM

BMac
I honestly don't understand people's pessimism...it's not like the AD is doing the construction, people. It's professionals.

Bad-dum-BOOM!

Thank you, thank you very much. Try the mashed potatoes.

Are you okay? Jesus!! I was just sharing what I heard on the news!! Maybe if you try the F$&KING mashed potatoes, it would lighten your mood.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: September 21, 2006 02:29PM

redice
WETM-TV news (in Elmira) just reported that Cornell officials have confirmed that CU will not be playing home games in Elmira. They went on to say the remodeled Lynah Rink will be ready for CU's home games. Not a big surprise. But, it was heartening to hear it said. LGR

Good. Now maybe the Dept & ticket office can figure out what's going on with premium seating, and the waiting list...and, maybe, make some people very happy.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2006 07:26PM

ithacat
redice

Good. Now maybe the Dept & ticket office can figure out what's going on with premium seating, and the waiting list...and, maybe, make some people very happy.

Based on last year's run-for-the-tickets steeplechase, those smiling faces would belong to orthopedic surgeons.

Posted by: BMac (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 21, 2006 08:38PM

Whoooa, chill out there. I wasn't responding to your post in particular. I was trying to respond to the whole thread...

That's what I get for flat (non-nested) view...

Posted by: sen '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 21, 2006 10:22PM

Just got done with women's club practice in Lynah. The guy I gave my skates to to have sharpened said games will "definitely" be in Lynah.

The varsity locker room won't be ready until December though. Until then the guys will be using their old locker room...but after they move out we get it:-D

It looks good in there. Much less different than I thought it would be. I'm pretty darn happy with how it looks:-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login