Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Showing Support

Posted by melissa 
Showing Support
Posted by: melissa (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2002 07:46AM

Hey All!

For anyone going to the Harvard game (I assume that this is most):

AM thinking that because this is a BIG game (both because of the rivalry and because they are sitting right behind us in the ECAC) major support should be given. Am wondering if the boys with the "You're in Big Red Country" etc signs might be interested in putting them up?? They are a hoot and they kinda bring the pride to a whole new level. PLus they are damn big! After reading the We hate Harvard article and realizing how much enjoyment/ pride(?) the team gets out of the fish (as well as their the diasppointment in the lack thereof last year) am hoping that more of us can manage to smuggle them in. This game should be a helluva lot of fun and I hope that everyone brings their loudest voices with them. Maybe there should be a contest about who could cheer "Mooreon" loudest ??:-D

I know that with the crowd that has been showing up at Lynah so far this year this is bound to be a great game. Can't wait to hear all those witty remarks that are sure to appear! LGR!

Re: Showing Support
Posted by: judy (---.hrb.com)
Date: January 29, 2002 07:48AM

Is there any place in Lynah where that sheet can actually hang without blocking views? Under the scoreboard maybe...

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2002 10:58AM

If you are speaking in regards to the big white sheet sign with "BIG RED Country" written on it that was hung in the '80 rink for last years ECAC final...I would be more than happy to bring it to the game, only problem is - where to hang it? If we just talk it out and think of some ideas, we're bound to find one that'll work. LGR!!!

Harvard SUCKS!!!

Posted by: CUlater '89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: January 29, 2002 11:10AM

It's also important to show a super level of support because this is the game to which the coaching staff brings their top potential recruits. Lots of the players on the team (now and in the past) tell stories about how the visit to Lynah for the Harvard game influenced them to come to Cornell.

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2002 11:23AM

Showing major support? Great idea...signs are good. I'm thinking with the "Big Red Country" sign, the only place you could hang it and keep it visible while not blocking anyone's view would be below the scoreboard on the East wall. Where the "Spirit of the Red" banner used to be. You'd have to get there early on Friday and obviously ask the rink staff's permission and help to get it up there.

Other random craziness is typical for this game. In the early to mid 90s, there was the guy who actually dressed up like a chicken for the Harvard game. And I remember some guy had an enormous hat shaped like a fish.

But the best way to show support, IMO? GET THERE EARLY! Generally this year, the student sections don't fill in until 5 minutes into the game, and the only people there when teams come out for first warm-ups are the bandies and ushers. That's fine because that's the way it is...but this is the Harvard Game! If the general Section B taunting would start 30 minutes before game time, it just adds that much more to what hopefully will be a looong night for anything Crimson. Of course, the lure of the fish toss will probably draw in people earlier anyway, but having a full house going nuts when the teams skate out for line-ups is fantastic.

Let's Go RED, Harvard Sucks!

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (206.254.3.---)
Date: January 29, 2002 11:56AM

After all, only those who were there for warmups in November '97 got the "Hey JR, let's get Wicked tonight!" cheer.

Posted by: melissa (---.ip.termserv.net)
Date: January 29, 2002 12:16PM

Yeah, thinking about it below the scoreboard is the only place to put such a sign but how would you get it up there. A great point by Rich was showing up early. Watching warm-ups can be fun and it is an extra opportunity to heckle the opposition. If we can unsettle them before the game, all the better. I have to agree that it is beginning to seem as if we have a true rivalry on our hands. Harvard was INCREDIBLY happy to have beaten us at Lynah East this year. I remember commenting afterward that their reaction was similar to what you would expect had they won at Placid.

Big Red Country sign
Date: January 29, 2002 01:37PM

I was up at Lynah for open skate this afternoon and inquired with the rink staff about hanging the sign under the scoreboard for the Harvard game. They told me to check back tomorrow b/c they had to check it out with Coach, if he gives us the green light then we can figure out how to get it up there. If he says he doesn't want it under the scoreboard, then we'll just have to think of another place and be creative. Either way, I have the sign and we can go from there. I'll keep y'all posted on what Coach has to say.

Harvard SUCKS. . .LGR!!!!

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: January 29, 2002 01:56PM

As important: please be a Force For Good and explain to all your sectionmates, especially the young and the drunk, that there is one and only one time when it is appropriate to throw fish on the ice -- when Harvard enters for the first period.

Many people know that Cornell was repeatedly called for delay penalties in the late 80's because some pinheads could not get this into their heads and threw fish after goals or at the start of other periods. The warning that Arthur reads about objects on the ice is not an idle threat.

Posted by: melissa (---.ip.termserv.net)
Date: January 29, 2002 02:22PM

Way to go Ben! Thanks for the initiative! Hopefully coach agrees! I'd love to see that sign up. Just one more way to let Harvard know whose rink they are in!

Date: January 29, 2002 02:24PM

Point well taken. . . that's the last thing we need, our own fans hurting the team. The point will be made loud and clear!

Fish Report
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (206.254.3.---)
Date: January 29, 2002 04:04PM

Is it time once again for the Fish Report?

[amurgsval.org]

Posted by: Adam '01 (---.telocity.com)
Date: January 29, 2002 08:12PM

This year's game seems to have an added level of intensity among fans. Those that I have talked to seem especially rabid this year for Harvard. That's awesome.

I guess I just wanted to add another voice to the growing chorus of THIS IS THE HARVARD GAME, SHOW UP AT 4PM IF YOU WANT!!!

Well, ok, maybe not that early. But there is no better place than Lynah at 6:30 on a Friday (or Sat) night. It is lots of fun to heckle the hell out of teams when they first skate onto the ice and give them the formal Lynah welcome. Last year, during the playoffs, we had the pleasure of greeting Princeton with the "Thank You For Subscribing To E-Lynah" sign. Many of the Tigers saw the sign and gave us nods like, "touche" and "we're busted!" It was great.

One more note while I'm still writing. For those of you who are new at Lynah...please, please, please learn the goalie's name. This is Harvard, "hey Goalie" just won't fly. Get inside the poor SOB's head. Best of luck to the Red AND the Faithful.

LGR. Harvard SUCKS.

Posted by: judy (---.howard01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2002 10:40PM

goalie's name...anyone know who's starting in goal for Harvard?

and speaking of fan clubs...wonder if the "do me dov" (or is it duv) girls will be here...though some how I doubt it

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2002 10:56PM

If I had to guess, I'd say it'll be Dov. He played both games in Harvard's last weekend of conference play, losing to Princeton and then coming back to beat Yale. (Much less significant, he started against the US U18 team last weekend, gave up one goal in half the game, probably a planned switch.) The other goalie, Will Crothers, has somewhat better numbers overall, but Grumet-Morris has better numbers in ECAC play. Plus he played us really well in the first game, the little bastard. :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login