Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

The Red and White Game

Posted by Will 
The Red and White Game
Posted by: Will (---)
Date: October 15, 2002 01:55PM

The Red and White Game is this coming Friday, right? The front page of eLynah seems to make it clear that it's counting down to this Friday, but then again, I can't seem to find any other reference to the Red and White Game anywhere. Can anybody give me some clarification?

Re: The Red and White Game
Posted by: rhovorka (---)
Date: October 15, 2002 01:59PM

There was a roster sheet at the alumni game this summer that had the upcoming season schedule on the reverse side. It listed Red/White as this Friday, Oct. 18 at 7 pm.

Posted by: tml5 (---)
Date: October 15, 2002 03:26PM

Well, for those of you on campus I remember seeing a flyer on the entrance to Lynah - the one next to the zamboni garage door, where you go in for public skating and pick-up hockey. It gave the date, time, and ticket price for the red/white game, but I didn't pay much attention to it.

I'll try to remember to look at it the next time I go there, but I can't promise that I'll make it before this Friday.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---)
Date: October 15, 2002 03:56PM

Are you doubting the eLynah counter? Actually I can't remember where I originally got the date, other than that it was moved from Sat to Fri to accomodate football. It should be right.

Posted by: Tom Tone (---)
Date: October 15, 2002 07:19PM

I'm sorry you all missed the Red/White game..the Cornell calendar has it listed for tonight. What a shame.

-Tom Tone

Posted by: Larry72 (---)
Date: October 15, 2002 08:39PM

Practice officially began on Wed. October 15. The Red/White game is on Friday Oct 17 @7:00pm. Info is at: [cornellbigred.ocsn.com]

Larry '72

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: October 16, 2002 01:36AM

I was gonna coment on the last of coverage myself, except I had trouble accessing the site last night. I'm glad I'm not the only one and it's not like I was just missing something big.

Man, just a couple days away from the first taste of hockey... now how exactly am I supposed to concentrate on my project this week?!? :-P

Posted by: tml5 (---)
Date: October 16, 2002 11:55AM

The sign at Lynah says that tickets will be available at the door, and the game is Friday the 18th at 7:00.

:)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---)
Date: October 18, 2002 05:58PM

Could someone post the lineup as listed for this game. Thanks.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: October 18, 2002 06:00PM

And perhaps the lines and defensive pairings--that is, if they're at all consistent.

Date: October 18, 2002 09:54PM

I can't say I made note of the lines too well, but here's the rosters:

Red Team:
2 Travis Bell Sr
6 Doug Murray Sr
8 Ryan Vesce Jr
12 Ben Wallace Jr
14 Cam Abbott Fr
15 Daniel Pegoraro Fr (<-- only non-shootout, non-EN goal)
16 Greg Hornby Jr
19 Chris Abbott Fr
21 Stephen Bâby Sr
22 Kelly Hughes Jr
25 Sam Paolini Sr
29 Mark McRae Sr
xx Nathaniel Brand Jr (walk-on)

White Team:
4 Jan Pajerski So
5 Jon Gleed Fr
7 Charlie Cook So
9 Paul Varteressian So
17 Matt McRae Sr
20 Shane Palahicky Sr
23 Jeremy Downs So
24 Matt Moulson Fr
26 Scott Krahn Jr
27 Michael Knoepfli So
28 Shane Hynes Fr
xx Alex Norton Fr (walk-on)

Goalies:
1 Louis Chabot Fr (red) (taking Undy' #! :-(
30 Todd Marr Jr (red)
31 David LeNeveu So (white)

Not dressing
19 Michael Iggulden So -- is he alright?

Writing this list made me realize how many seniors we have, 7, more than typical for us (last two years we had like 5?), definitely all big names.

Date: October 18, 2002 11:13PM

Well, take some solace in the fact that Undy wasn't the first to wear #1.;-)

Posted by: jason (---)
Date: October 19, 2002 01:03AM

I believe the team has historically tolerated only the "traditional" spectrum of jersey (or sweater, if you like) numbers (i.e., 1-31, no 13), of which 1, 30 and 31 are the acknowledged goalie numbers . With 3 goalies taking the ice, someone had to take Undy's number, (the 1, 30 and 31 jerseys are often the only ones in a size suitable for goalie equipment).

Date: October 19, 2002 01:31AM

Yeah, yeah... I guess I shoulda put a ;-)... I've been watching hockeylong enough to know there are approximately 3 goalie numbers (1, 30, and 31)... occassionally you get like 32-39. I also know 1 is probably the most popular so someone would take it... doesn't mean it feel right though :-))

Posted by: Josh '99 (---)
Date: October 19, 2002 02:38AM

DeltaOne81 '03 wrote:

15 Daniel Pegoraro Fr (<-- only non-shootout, non-EN goal)
Although it WAS on a penalty shot. (But, to give proper credit, a penalty shot that he earned by hustling to get himself a breakaway and getting hooked down.)

A few impressions, though I didn't get a program and so didn't know who most of the freshmen were.

Pegoraro impressed me... Can't exactly put my finger on it, but he hustled and made good plays.

Chris Abbott is QUICK. It'd be nice to see the puck skills grow to match his speed, but in the meantime, while he might not be as fast as LaTulippe up at Clarkson, he definitely could be the fastest guy on the team.

Marr looked very good until the shootout, when pucks started to get past him. (But, breakaway after breakaway, who can blame him?)

Gleed handled the puck well, as far as I can remember.

Murray and Hornby, in particular, won't hesitate to hit their teammates. (Murray, in particular, put a huge check on Pajerski at one point.)

Iggulden and Vesce both did not play.

LeNeveu did get beat on the aforementioned penalty shot, but only allowed one goal (Pegoraro again, maybe? Or Chris Abbott?) in the shootout. (Props to Hornby for getting one past him, even if it went out off the post.)

Lots of talent here... Can't WAIT to see this team in meaningful action!

Posted by: crodger1 (---)
Date: October 21, 2002 02:40PM

The Sun has an article on the Red-White game at:

[www.cornellsun.com]

Can't wait for the season to start. Will there be radio coverage of the York matchup (or should I hold off on shelling out $7 bucks)?

LGR!

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: October 21, 2002 05:10PM

If I were Todd Marr, and I read that report, I wouldn't expect a whole lot of playing time. Still I am glad that all of the goaltending was so sharp. (Or was it the defense? Or poor shooting? Or karma? Or any of the other reasons to account for a shutout other than goaltending . . .)

Posted by: jason (---)
Date: October 21, 2002 05:38PM

D'oh! Reading your message again I can see that you weren't saying that in complete seriousness. That's what I get for reading and posting at 1am after a few nights of limited sleep (due to our newborn baby girl).

Also, my statement about Cornell only using the traditional numbers is based on my own (limited) recollection. Does anyone recall a player wearing a number outside of the typical 1-31 range?

(An off-topic comment: being small and petty ( :-) ), I've really been enjoying the futility of the Syracuse football team --losing to Temple(!) and being dismantled by W. Virginia. Good, good fun.)

Date: October 21, 2002 06:15PM

Anyone figured out yet why Vesce and Iggulden were coaching instead of playing?

Posted by: ACM (---)
Date: October 21, 2002 06:16PM

"Non-traditional" goalie numbers that I can recall off the top of my head (there may be others, I'm too lazy to research it right now):

28 - Corrie D'Alessio
29 - Jim Crozier
39 - Eddy Skazyk.

For many years (Al, Jim and Ken will remember this), the only number worn by goalies at Cornell was #1. Both the starter and the backup wore it. Trivia question: who was the first Cornell goalie to wear a number other than one?

Date: October 21, 2002 08:28PM

Arthur Mintz '71 wrote:

For many years (Al, Jim and Ken will remember this), the only number worn by goalies at Cornell was #1. Both the starter and the backup wore it.
Right. And sometimes two backups. In those days you couldn't "tell the players" even with a scorecard. People kept confusing Ken Dryden with George Swan. nut

Posted by: bigred apple (---)
Date: October 22, 2002 08:24AM

George Swan was the one sitting next to the assistant coach.

Posted by: Richard Stott (128.164.243.---)
Date: October 22, 2002 08:44AM

Jim Wallace wore 13 for Cornell in 1965-66. The superstition against wearing 13 puzzles me -- it's the 21st century, not the Dark Ages.

Date: October 22, 2002 09:12AM

Or could that have been Dave Quarrie?

Number 13
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: October 22, 2002 09:33AM

It's become a tradition, and without tradition, our lives would be as shaky as..., well, as a fiddler on the roof!

Date: October 22, 2002 02:48PM

[Q]George Swan was the one sitting next to the assistant coach.[/Q]

Cornell didn't get an assistant coach until 1976, so that couldn't be who Swan was sitting next to. ;-)

Which brings us to the next trivia question: Who was Cornell's first assistant coach? And what school did he graduate from?

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: October 22, 2002 04:11PM

I knew my ignorance would burn me, but I thought it would be along the lines of "George Swan was the starter during Dryden's first year on the Big Red varsity, so DRYDEN was the one on the bench, smart ass."

Of course, Arthur's response is even cooler (and he just isn't the type to call me 'smart ass').

Date: October 22, 2002 05:04PM

Could it have been my neighbor's son, Jay Riley, who, IIRC, played at Watson Rink?

Date: October 22, 2002 05:06PM

big red apple wrote:

... he [Arthur] just isn't the type to call me 'smart ass'.
But ya never know what he might be thinking...;-)

Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: October 22, 2002 09:06PM

Oh, I think we know.

Date: October 27, 2002 09:52AM

For those who were wondering (I hope there's at least one) ...

Al got the answer to the assistant coach question.

Nobody's answered the goalie number question yet.

Date: October 27, 2002 11:44AM

I'll even take some very small amount of "credit" for Jay's hiring.

Seeing the success BU was having with Boston-area kids in the early 70s, with considerable effort I enticed Dick Bertrand to come to Boston and dragged him to a few high school games. It opened his eyes and he hired an assistant, Riley, with a Boston-area connection. I wouldn't say Cornell has had a lot of recruiting success in this part of the world, but at least the door was finally opened. IIRC, the first "name" recruit from here was Steve Hennessy, '80, from Thayer Academy, and a captain on the 1980 championship team.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login