Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Recruits 2006: The New Thread

Posted by Beeeej 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Recruits 2006: The New Thread
Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: February 03, 2006 05:45PM

perhaps, ho-hum, average...didn't dazzle him. B-]

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 04, 2006 02:26AM

Thiessen is not going to Cornell and is hoping to land at UND. What I'd like to know is why Cornell is recruiting another goaltender. Scrivens, DiLeo, McKee makes three. I'm not going to say anymore.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2006 02:28AM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 11:53AM

calgARI '07
Thiessen is not going to Cornell and is hoping to land at UND. What I'd like to know is why Cornell is recruiting another goaltender. Scrivens, DiLeo, McKee makes three. I'm not going to say anymore.

I hope you're right...according to an article on Thiessen by Research on Ice, we're looking at DiLeo and Scrivens next year.

[bigredpuckhead.blogspot.com]

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 12:25PM

ithacat
calgARI '07

I hope you're right...according to an article on Thiessen by Research on Ice, we're looking at DiLeo and Scrivens next year.

While I don't doubt that they may have told him that - perhaps to lure him - I have a hard time believing that McKee would have made up his mind about such a thing in the middle of a season. And not a standout season at that. Its a big decision to leave school early, and not one that should be made in the middle of a season and school year.

Just my take.

Date: February 04, 2006 12:36PM

DeltaOne81
ithacat
calgARI '07

While I don't doubt that they may have told him that - perhaps to lure him - I have a hard time believing that McKee would have made up his mind about such a thing in the middle of a season. And not a standout season at that. Its a big decision to leave school early, and not one that should be made in the middle of a season and school year.

Just my take.

Perhaps something was misconstrued as well? I have to believe, however, that if the coaching staff told Thiessen this it's true. Intentionally misleading a recruit would not be the way to build a program. Again, I don't believe that's the case. It could also simply be the way McKee talks about things -- I seem to recall he said something in the Alumni magazine article (re: Coach's desire to coach in the Pros) that could be read as him leaning towards leaving after this year.

I really hope it's not true. Of course, if he's coming back (without question), and DiLeo isn't going to pull a Troy Davenport, one would wonder why they're still pursuing a goalie.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 12:42PM

I'd find it ironic if McKee left school after setting up a program to help learning centers. I'd think he would be pretty committed to finishing college.

Don't go, Dave :(

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: February 04, 2006 12:45PM

It's probably as simple as someone saying something like "There's a good chance David might not come back next year, since even last summer he got several offers to turn pro."

Date: February 04, 2006 12:50PM

jkahn
It's probably as simple as someone saying something like "There's a good chance David might not come back next year, since even last summer he got several offers to turn pro."

Yeah, exactly. I misspoke to say they "told" him. I meant they said something to imply it. That said, I'm glad he didn't come here, cause if he misunderstood that, and then McKee didn't leave, he'd be pretty pissed.

Date: February 04, 2006 12:50PM

It really does seem absord that McKee would have made up his mind already. However, the coaches are recruiting another goalie. That tells me that he's made his decision.

Re: Recruits 2006: Doomsday scenario
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 12:57PM

If it looks as if Cornell has a sizable batch of recruits incoming - of course, not all the maybes are really signing on - is that because Cornell is making provisions for the worst case happening this spring?

- Moulson graduates
- Five other seniors graduate
- Pokoluk stays or leaves?
- O'Byrne stays or leaves?
- McKee stays or leaves?
- Would any of the freshmen want to take their chances in the pros, or a Ray Sawada? (June 2004: "I'm still going to Cornell," said Sawada, who was selected 52nd overall by Dallas. "You never know how long you're going to stay there, but I'll work my hardest once I get there." [USCHO])
- Mike Schafer hears a tempting offer

That's a lot of people for coach Shafer to replace. Um, Mike, you're still with us, right?

It's not good for the program to bring in 20 solid recruits and cut 10 but it's not good for the program, the fans, or Cornell's winning record to bring in 8 and find you need 12.

When Leneveu left over the summer, recall, Schafer found himself a solid goalie over that same summer in Mckee. That only works if the player has finished HS and is playing juniors for a year.

Ari may be right that Ryan O'Byrne is the most valuable player (when healthy) that Cornell has, but if MVP is the guy without whom you're hosed, then it's McKee. Nobody knows for sure what he's doing and all we can do is look at the numbers: His family is a big part of the Cornell community and it must be a great time being here for David and family ... the family is well off so David doesn't need to bail this spring to earn a living and conversely if his Cornell degree is delayed, he's not going to be collecting food stamps ... he's the same age as David Leneveu: spring 1983 birthdates.

Cornell only got three years out of Ken Dryden. Different reason, of course.

Date: February 04, 2006 12:58PM

DeltaOne81
jkahn

Yeah, exactly. I misspoke to say they "told" him. I meant they said something to imply it. That said, I'm glad he didn't come here, cause if he misunderstood that, and then McKee didn't leave, he'd be pretty pissed.

I'm happy he didn't come because I think that is kind of a sketchy thing to say in an interview. If the coaches told him that, they likely did with the idea he wouldn't go telling everyone.

Date: February 04, 2006 01:26PM

calgARI '07
It really does seem absord that McKee would have made up his mind already. However, the coaches are recruiting another goalie. That tells me that he's made his decision.

Could they just be being safe? And maybe ask one to defer if he stays. Lets compare McKee and the last Cornell goalie that left early :)
Lenny, coming off a career year and NCAA record GAA
McKee, having a decent year, but definitely a drop from the previous

Lenny, coming off a dramatic ECAC title and trip the Frozen Four
McKee, we'll see

Lenny, drafted, with the maximum rookie offer that would undoubtedly be restricted with the new CBA pending
McKee, undrafted, with no doubt lesser offers

Lenny, makes up his mind in late June/July
McKee, made up his mind in January?

I'm not saying McKee's not leaving, nor am I insulting him... I just somehow find it unfathomable that he'd decide so much earlier than Lenny, while Lenny had so much more reason to leave.

Posted by: redredux (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 01:36PM

I can't remember where but I'm pretty sure McKee has said he's not too fond of Ithaca being from Texas and all. I would be surprised if he leaves but who knows.

What seems more likely is that O'Byrne and Pokulok leave. That combined with McKee leaving and Gleed gradutaing obviously would be tough for the D to take. But even if just the "towers" and Gleed leave, we'd have 5 dmen plus one recruit coming in. Maybe another D recruit is the biggest priority.

We are losing a lot of forwards but the firepower coming in plus this year's freshmen, who are coming into form, should smooth the transition.

Date: February 04, 2006 02:03PM

DeltaOne81
calgARI '07

Could they just be being safe? And maybe ask one to defer if he stays. Lets compare McKee and the last Cornell goalie that left early :)
Lenny, coming off a career year and NCAA record GAA
McKee, having a decent year, but definitely a drop from the previous

Lenny, coming off a dramatic ECAC title and trip the Frozen Four
McKee, we'll see

Lenny, drafted, with the maximum rookie offer that would undoubtedly be restricted with the new CBA pending
McKee, undrafted, with no doubt lesser offers

Lenny, makes up his mind in late June/July
McKee, made up his mind in January?

I'm not saying McKee's not leaving, nor am I insulting him... I just somehow find it unfathomable that he'd decide so much earlier than Lenny, while Lenny had so much more reason to leave.

I think this is probably pretty accurate so maybe Cornell is looking for a goalie for '07 but could come a year early like McKee did. They turned out to be very lucky in that whole situation especially beacuse Marr ended up getting hurt. However, I'm sure that they would have gotten a safegap mid-tier guy had McKee not come a year early.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 11:59PM

I spoke to someone who would know such things before the @Colgate game, and she shook her head at the rumor that McKee had made up his mind to leave. I'm satisfied with that for now, but you never know if he'll make up his mind at the end of the season.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 12:02AM

Section A Banshee
I spoke to someone who would know such things before the @Colgate game, and she shook her head at the rumor that McKee had made up his mind to leave. I'm satisfied with that for now, but you never know if he'll make up his mind at the end of the season.
I think the she gives it away, but I wouldn't expect her to say anything else.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 12:13AM

Jim Hyla
Section A Banshee
I think the she gives it away, but I wouldn't expect her to say anything else.
Hey you never know, it could have been the equipment chick who gave me back my jersey before warmups tonight. I asked her quite a few questions about the team's state of undress. :-P

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 12:17PM

calgARI '07
Recruiting another goalie, on its own, could simply mean that DiLeo decided to jump due to lack of playing time. Not saying it does mean that, but it could.

Date: February 05, 2006 01:55PM

jmh30
calgARI '07
Recruiting another goalie, on its own, could simply mean that DiLeo decided to jump due to lack of playing time. Not saying it does mean that, but it could.

I think DiLeo knows his place. He was not a highly ranked goaltender and was a very late commitment. I think he knows he is Chabot's replacement and think he knows this.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 02:26PM

calgARI '07
I think DiLeo knows his place. He was not a highly ranked goaltender and was a very late commitment. I think he knows he is Chabot's replacement and think he knows this.
But does he think he knows it?

Date: February 05, 2006 09:37PM

Here's an update of next year's recruits. The numbers include various tournaments, all-star games, etc. Scrivens' games count is based on minutes played.

Gms	Gls	Ast	Pts
Blake Gallagher	58	29	26	55
Colin Greening	49	28	35	63
Justin Milo	47	21	19	40
Brendon Nash	46	 8	33	41
Tony Romano	46	54	50	104
Joe Scali	36	19	17	36
	       Gms	GAA	SV%
Ben Scrivens	38	2.22	92.67

Date: February 05, 2006 11:26PM

ugarte
calgARI '07
But does he think he knows it?
And does he know that Ari thinks he knows?

But I guess my point is, if DiLeo *did* know that his role at Cornell was going to be limited to a four-year backup, would it be unreasonable to think he might want to go play somewhere else where he'd have a chance of starting?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2006 11:27PM by jmh30.

Posted by: Jackson (---.lightlink.com)
Date: February 21, 2006 02:09AM

Is there anywhere to get a full list of recruits without going through 200 posts?

Date: February 21, 2006 02:38AM

Jackson
Is there anywhere to get a full list of recruits without going through 200 posts?

[members.aol.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 21, 2006 10:16AM

Jackson

[www.tbrw.info]

Re: Recruits 2006: Doomsday scenario
Date: February 21, 2006 10:25AM

billhoward
If it looks as if Cornell has a sizable batch of recruits incoming - of course, not all the maybes are really signing on - is that because Cornell is making provisions for the worst case happening this spring?

- Moulson graduates
- Five other seniors graduate
- Pokoluk stays or leaves?
- O'Byrne stays or leaves?
- McKee stays or leaves?
- Would any of the freshmen want to take their chances in the pros, or a Ray Sawada? (June 2004: "I'm still going to Cornell," said Sawada, who was selected 52nd overall by Dallas. "You never know how long you're going to stay there, but I'll work my hardest once I get there." [USCHO])
- Mike Schafer hears a tempting offer

That's a lot of people for coach Shafer to replace. Um, Mike, you're still with us, right?

Nothing we can do about the seniors graduating. Well, I suppose we could join the SEC, but that wouldn't give them any more eligibility. ;-)

On the others:

Sasha's definitely possible. The saving grace is that he isn't exactly maxing out his NCAA potential, and the Caps aren't in desperate need of anything except everything -- meaning, there's no point in rushing him up to help them finish last again next year.

O'Byrne I just can't see. Still too many holes in the guy's game. He's improving, but he doesn't compare to the guys who have left early in the past.

Sawada I'd say is a lock to stay, having not shown a true breakout year, but I was very surprised when Hynes bolted.

McKee, well, there's the Thiessen quote, but then there's every indication that the McKee family is 100% behind the Cornell educational experience and the Cornell community. And it isn't as if David has to worry about leaving early to get Momma outta the projects or Dad outta the zinc mine. I think the continuing search implies that DiLeo is Louis Chabot and Scrivens is Ian Burt, and Coach is interested in finding, at minimum, another Matt Underhill.

And Coach Himself, well, I doubt he'd screw Cornell right in the middle of the funding drive for the improvements he's pushed for all these years. The Lynah improvements are Schafer's payday for the incredible change he has made in the program. It makes no sense that he wouldn't stick around and reap the benefit.

Posted by: pfibiger (66.77.101.---)
Date: February 22, 2006 12:11PM

Blake Gallagher lost out to teammate Wahsontio Stacey for SJHL rookie of the year (each team can only nominate one player), but Blake and the rest of the Hounds took almost all the slots in the SJHL All-Rookie team:

DIRECT WEST SJHL ALL-ROOKIE TEAM

GOAL- Blake Bashor, Notre Dame Hounds
DEFENSE-Tyler Karst, La Ronge Ice Wolves
DEFENSE-Riley Clark, Notre Dame Hounds
CENTRE-Blake Gallagher, Notre Dame Hounds
RIGHT WING-Wahsontio Stacey, Notre Dame Hounds
LEFT WING-Thomas Hawkins, Notre Dame Hounds

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2006 09:11PM

Waahooo, another set of twins! The Devin brothers are coming in for 2007 according to Heisenburg's website. Anybody know anything about them????

Date: February 26, 2006 09:17PM

Brian
Waahooo, another set of twins! The Devin brothers are coming in for 2007 according to Heisenburg's website. Anybody know anything about them????

Could they possibly be from Boston????

[www.boston.com]

Date: February 26, 2006 09:19PM

Brian
Brian

[www.boston.com]

Also found and INCH article:

[insidecollegehockey.com]

Posted by: Chris '03 (69.37.11.---)
Date: February 26, 2006 09:20PM

Brian
Brian

[www.boston.com]

Please see this thread at around 1/30/06.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.37.117.32.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 09:24PM

ursaminor on Jan 30
According to Heisenberg's list, Cornell has received commitments from another set of twins, Mike and Joe Devin from Catholic Memorial. Since one plays defense, I guess that they won't replace the Abbotts.

Date: February 26, 2006 09:26PM

ebilmes
ursaminor on Jan 30
According to Heisenberg's list, Cornell has received commitments from another set of twins, Mike and Joe Devin from Catholic Memorial. Since one plays defense, I guess that they won't replace the Abbotts.

No but the McRae's were splite, one defense, one forward and they were very exciting to watch, much like the abbotts.

Date: February 26, 2006 09:27PM

Sorry, didn't go back that far to look and I didn't see there stats in the comparison of everybody else.

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 10:09PM

Just noticed Heisenberg lists Davenport, goalie, as a Cornell recruit for 2006. Isn't this a replay?
Cheers!
Drew

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 10:11PM

Just noticed Heisenberg lists Troy Davenport, goalie, as a Cornell recruit for 2006. Isn't this a replay?
Cheers!
Drew

Edit: Sorry for the dupe, trying to be helpful.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2006 10:14PM by Drew.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.37.117.32.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 10:14PM

[q][Davenport) Will return to team as junior[/q]

Wow...Four goalies for next year? Or does this mean McKee is definitely out?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2006 10:15PM by ebilmes.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 26, 2006 10:15PM

Drew
Just noticed Heisenberg lists Troy Davenport, goalie, as a Cornell recruit for 2006. Isn't this a replay?
Cheers!
Drew

WOW...I'm pretty shocked. I'm suprised to see Schafer allow Davenport back after he left the team high and dry last January. This tells me McKee must be leaving.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2006 10:16PM by redhair34.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 26, 2006 10:21PM

Drew
Just noticed Heisenberg lists Troy Davenport, goalie, as a Cornell recruit for 2006. Isn't this a replay?.

I have to say, I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 26, 2006 10:27PM

I actually don't think this is a bad move at all. Despite the fact that he left us high and dry (for which you can't totally fault him) he's still a very good goalie. I think the only reason other teams weren't going after him was because of his eligibility.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2006 10:29PM by redhair34.

Date: February 26, 2006 10:28PM

Shocking but not all that shocking. Has Cornell ever had four goalies? There is no way McKee has made a decision but they now have a lot more insurance. Wouldn't be shocked if DiLeo got cut if McKee stayed.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 10:50PM

[Q] Heisenberg wrote:
Davenport ... Will return to team as junior"[/Q]
He'd be a sophomore, not junior, right? Academically, probably a second semester freshman, but a soph athletically as you're normally allowed four years of eligibilty in a five year period. Or am I missing or forgetting something?

Posted by: Robb (68.171.152.---)
Date: February 27, 2006 01:10AM

jkahn
[Q] Heisenberg wrote:
He'd be a sophomore, not junior, right? Academically, probably a second semester freshman, but a soph athletically as you're normally allowed four years of eligibilty in a five year period. Or am I missing or forgetting something?
Well, I think the Ivies "highly encourage" you to use your eligibility in the first four years - to the point that a medical redshirt is pretty much the only reason Ivy athletes are eligible for a 5th year. I'm not sure if it's an actual policy or just a strongly encouraged guideline.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 03:13AM

Robb
jkahn
[Q] Heisenberg wrote:
Well, I think the Ivies "highly encourage" you to use your eligibility in the first four years - to the point that a medical redshirt is pretty much the only reason Ivy athletes are eligible for a 5th year. I'm not sure if it's an actual policy or just a strongly encouraged guideline.
That's discriminatory. Why must a student-athlete or anyone else go through in four consecutive years. Doing missionary work, finding yourself, working to earn tuition, all are legitimate reasons to pause during your studies.

Wasn't there a stupid NCAA rule way back that said Canadians lost a year of NCAA tournament eligibility if they were over 25 but not Americans, and isn't that why you see pictures of former cop and Cornell senior Dick Bertrand, 29 or so years old, in a plaid sports coat during the NCAAs, not a red jersey? I'd love to be able to litigate that one now.

It was supposed to stop Canadians from playing 5 years of junior hockey after HS and being way better than Americans. But Bertrand was twirling a nightstick before Cornell, wasn't he?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 06:45AM

billhoward
Wasn't there a stupid NCAA rule way back that said Canadians lost a year of NCAA tournament eligibility if they were over 25 but not Americans, and isn't that why you see pictures of former cop and Cornell senior Dick Bertrand, 29 or so years old, in a plaid sports coat during the NCAAs, not a red jersey?

It was supposed to stop Canadians from playing 5 years of junior hockey after HS and being way better than Americans. But Bertrand was twirling a nightstick before Cornell, wasn't he?
I think he was wearing a Cornell blazer, Bill. The wild plaid sportcoats came later when he coached and Irv Lewis's Sport Shop provided them for him to "model" behind the bench.

In Good Sports, Bob Kane writes: "He [Bertrand] had been a policeman in Toronto for two years after graduating from high school...He played on a mediocre village team, and was not chosen to take part in Canada's Junior A competition. No colleges came after him. At age 25 he decided he wanted to pursue his education. He sought out Ned Harkness with the hope he might be accepted to Cornell."

Posted by: Robb (68.171.152.---)
Date: February 27, 2006 08:37AM

billhoward
That's discriminatory. Why must a student-athlete or anyone else go through in four consecutive years. Doing missionary work, finding yourself, working to earn tuition, all are legitimate reasons to pause during your studies.
Hmmm - interesting point. Not sure how the Ivies would treat a situation where someone actually took a break from school (i.e. was not enrolled as a full-time student). But I'm pretty sure that while you're enrolled, your Ivy eligibility is ticking away.

Even so, I'd have a hard time characterizing the policy as "discriminatory." The Ivy league is about academics - don't like it? You don't have to go here. There are plenty of Jock U's where you can prioritize athletics over academics. I think it's a good policy - if you want a red shirt, take it before you enroll. Once you enroll, we expect to you to focus on studies first, athletics second. If athletics has distracted you enough that you don't finish in 4 years, then it's time to either give up the athletics and finish your degree or leave school so you can focus on athletics.

Date: February 27, 2006 09:07AM

billhoward

Anyone can pause during their studies. As long as you fill in the leave of absence paperwork and pony up the tuition when you return, Cornell will be glad to have you. Whether or not you have any years left to play varsity curling is irrelevant to the university's mission.

Date: February 27, 2006 09:11AM

calgARI '07
Has Cornell ever had four goalies?

In 1977, four different men played in at least one game in goal for Cornell: Steve Napier (23), John Vandermark (12), Kevin Wang (1), and Mike Doyle (1 -- 6 minutes): [www.tbrw.info]

Good Article on the Devin brothers
Posted by: bothman (---.allfirst.com)
Date: February 28, 2006 02:17PM

Re: Good Article on the Devin brothers
Date: February 28, 2006 02:31PM

bothman
http://www.boston.com/sports/schools/hockey/articles/2006/02/28/family_tradition_at_cm?mode=PF

Nice article. It contains the line that they will be coming to Cornell "in the Fall." Either that is an error, or Heisenberg is wrong in listing them for 2007.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 28, 2006 02:33PM

[q]That's discriminatory.[/q]Sure. So what? Since when did people/schools not have a right to discriminate? The law makes discriminating on the basis of certain qualities (race, ethnicitY, etc.) illegal and Congress has used the power of the purse to make certain other kinds essentially illegal as well (Title IX). But Cornell and the Ivy LEague have every right to decide that their student-athletes may only compete in varsity sports for four years. You may think that this is bad policy, but others may disagree.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 03:19PM

I am pretty sure there is an exception for missionaries to the 5 years to play 4 seasons rule. Brandon Hall '02, a former lax captain, played his freshman year in 1996, went on a two year mission, came back in 1999, missed a season due to injury, then somehow played at least two more seasons. I actually researched this because I didn't want to get it wrong, and he's listed as a senior for both the 2001 and 2002 seasons. Whatever happened in his case, his missionary work didn't seem to take any eligibility away from him, but his injury might have. If anyone with more knowledge of lax websites/databases than I have can find his career stats, this might prove my point better. Or not. But he definitely played his first season in '96 and his last in '02.

Whatever the rule is, there's always ways around it -- I know a few wrestlers have gotten an extra year or two of eligibility because they've gotten hurt and only wrestled a certain percentage of matches that year. And that's not just approved by Noel of course, but the NCAA.

I have a headache now.

Posted by: dave hunter (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 04:24PM

The high school team I help coach in Mass, just played the Devin brothers team last week. They both played very well, as they crushed our team. They are going to play for Schafe and CU starting in 2007.

DH '86

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 28, 2006 04:52PM

[Q]''They're used to playing hurt," Hanson said. ''They've played with injury. Whereas other kids may not play, Michael is used to being hurt. Joe, he's sucked it up many times."[/Q]

Sounds like they'll fit right in help

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2006 04:57PM

Sounds like another set of twins will have to learn how to play with someone that isn't their brother...

Posted by: pfibiger (---.180.36.72.reverse.layeredtech.com)
Date: February 28, 2006 05:32PM

nr53
Sounds like another set of twins will have to learn how to play with someone that isn't their brother...

nr,

Joe is a forward, Mike is a defenseman. It shouldn't be a problem.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2006 08:41PM

[Q]
''It's much easier playing with him than someone else," Mike added. "On the ice, I'd rather have him out there than someone else. We always know where the other is. We work off each other real well."
[/Q]

I would have put that quote in earlier, but the site wouldn't let me see the 2nd page of the article unless I registered. Guess my cookie timed our or something so I could get it now.

Posted by: billhoward (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 02:37AM

Robb
billhoward
Hmmm - interesting point. Not sure how the Ivies would treat a situation where someone actually took a break from school (i.e. was not enrolled as a full-time student). But I'm pretty sure that while you're enrolled, your Ivy eligibility is ticking away.

Even so, I'd have a hard time characterizing the policy as "discriminatory." The Ivy league is about academics - don't like it? You don't have to go here. There are plenty of Jock U's where you can prioritize athletics over academics. I think it's a good policy - if you want a red shirt, take it before you enroll. Once you enroll, we expect to you to focus on studies first, athletics second. If athletics has distracted you enough that you don't finish in 4 years, then it's time to either give up the athletics and finish your degree or leave school so you can focus on athletics.

College is not exclusively for 18- to 22-year-olds. Also, wouldn't you think Cornell is about more than just what goes on in academic buildings? If Cornell housing wouldn't allow black women students to live in dorms (early 1900s), were they getting the full Cornell experience? Dick Bertrand wasn't allowed to compete in the NCAA tournament simply because he was Canadian and over 22 or over 25. The rule might have had a legimate purpose, such as not allowing (Canadian) hockey players who'd been in a semi-pro environment (at a time when the pro vs. amateur issue was a big thing) for several years after high school, but that's not the way it was written. It was a blanket prohibition on (I believe) Canadians who were over a certain age, and it had lots of loopholes, such as being American, or being in the service.

Even the pro/amateur issue was a matter of class, some might say. Patricians could afford to train for the Olympics by living off their family wealth. That's why a lot of Harvard, Yale, and Cornell men were Olympians in the early 20th century. Home Depot (um, if it existed) wouldn't pay you to take a year off to train, and if they did pay you, you would have lost amateur status.

Posted by: Robb (---.northgrum.com)
Date: March 01, 2006 09:41AM

billhoward
College is not exclusively for 18- to 22-year-olds. Also, wouldn't you think Cornell is about more than just what goes on in academic buildings? If Cornell housing wouldn't allow black women students to live in dorms (early 1900s), were they getting the full Cornell experience? Dick Bertrand wasn't allowed to compete in the NCAA tournament simply because he was Canadian and over 22 or over 25. The rule might have had a legimate purpose, such as not allowing (Canadian) hockey players who'd been in a semi-pro environment (at a time when the pro vs. amateur issue was a big thing) for several years after high school, but that's not the way it was written. It was a blanket prohibition on (I believe) Canadians who were over a certain age, and it had lots of loopholes, such as being American, or being in the service.

Even the pro/amateur issue was a matter of class, some might say. Patricians could afford to train for the Olympics by living off their family wealth. That's why a lot of Harvard, Yale, and Cornell men were Olympians in the early 20th century. Home Depot (um, if it existed) wouldn't pay you to take a year off to train, and if they did pay you, you would have lost amateur status.
All very interesting historical information. But none of it seems to have much relevance to the Ivy League practice of strongly encouraging athletes to use their 4 years of NCAA eligibility within their first 4 years of enrollment.

And of course Cornell is about more than academics - but that doesn't mean that its many missions should all have equal priority. Academics is #1. Period.

Posted by: Omie (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: March 01, 2006 12:03PM

Not that it matters much now but Heisenberg's site just reported Brad Thiessen chose Northeastern wtf

Date: March 01, 2006 08:23PM

Anyone know anything about the Crimson's new goalie recruit -- Kyle Richter? He plays in the same league as Scrivens. With Daigneau graduating and his backups not being too stellar, I'd expect Richter to see playing time next year. Just wondering if anyone who follows the recruiting scene closely has any scoop on him.

Date: March 01, 2006 10:18PM

Keith Seabrook committed to Denver for '07. No clue if he was interested in Cornell but I really had my hopes up for him being that second defenseman for next year.

Date: March 02, 2006 07:49AM

That second D recruit for next year seems like a necessity unless Schafer knows O'Byrne and Pokulok aren't leaving. I noticed there's a D from the Notre Dame Hounds (Luke Brisebois) still unaccounted for.

Date: March 02, 2006 09:57AM

redredux
That second D recruit for next year seems like a necessity unless Schafer knows O'Byrne and Pokulok aren't leaving. I noticed there's a D from the Notre Dame Hounds (Luke Brisebois) still unaccounted for.

Even if he knows they aren't leaving (it'd be shocking if neither were leaving), something tells me they are going to want nine defensemen next year.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 03:47PM

redredux
Anyone know anything about the Crimson's new goalie recruit -- Kyle Richter? He plays in the same league as Scrivens. With Daigneau graduating and his backups not being too stellar, I'd expect Richter to see playing time next year. Just wondering if anyone who follows the recruiting scene closely has any scoop on him.

I think I recall seeing something about him on the USCHO D-1 Forum "Harvard Deserves a Thread" thread. The gist was that he's solid, not eye-popping, like Scrivens.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 03:49PM

Omie
Not that it matters much now but Heisenberg's site just reported Brad Thiessen chose Northeastern wtf

Seems pretty weird indeed to blow off both Cornell and North Dakota for Northeastern. Maybe he really, really liked Boston.

Date: March 02, 2006 05:39PM

Trotsky
Omie

Seems pretty weird indeed to blow off both Cornell and North Dakota for Northeastern. Maybe he really, really liked Boston.
It's all about the Beanpaht man!

Date: March 02, 2006 07:02PM

KeithK
Trotsky
Omie

So, what, he's in love with losing the Beanpot? :-D

Date: March 02, 2006 07:03PM

Will
KeithK
Trotsky
Omie

Everyone knows you go to Harvard if you want to do that.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 07:10PM

KeithK

What's a "Beanpart"?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 02, 2006 07:16PM

jmh30
Will
KeithK
Trotsky
Omie

As much as I love trashing Harvard, Northeastern is the true Beanpot whipping boy, given that they have less than half the Beanpot championships that the Crimson have.

Date: March 02, 2006 07:21PM

jtwcornell91
KeithK

What's a "Beanpart"?
Eh, shaddap! :-P

Date: March 02, 2006 09:33PM

Will
jmh30
Will
KeithK
Trotsky
Omie

As much as I love trashing Harvard, Northeastern is the true Beanpot whipping boy, given that they have less than half the Beanpot championships that the Crimson have.
You're an embarrassment to Cornell hockey fandom. :-P

new defenseman
Date: March 09, 2006 01:15PM

Looks like we've landed another defenseman, Justin Krueger of the Penticton Vees in the BCHL:

[www.pentictonwesternnews.com]

6'2", 205lbs with 7 goals, 15 assists in 55 games played

Date: March 09, 2006 01:18PM

A little more info about Justin Krueger from the Vees' website:

Valley First Vees defenseman Justin Krueger (86) has committed to Cornell University for the 2006-2007 season. Krueger recorded 7 goals and 15 assists in 55 games in his first season in the BCHL. At the recent Vees Awards Banquet Krueger was named the Vees Best Conditioned Athlete. He has been competing on the international stage for the past few seasons as a member of the German National Junior Team. This past December Krueger was part of the squad that won the Group A Division One title at the World Junior Hockey Championships in Slovenia.

Justin’s father Ralph Krueger is the Coach of Team Switzerland and he guided the team to its most historic win in team history. Ralph Krueger has a special connection to Vees Head Coach Bruno Campese as well. Krueger coached Bruno in Austria where their club team would go on to win a championship. During a recent visit to Canada Ralph Krueger attended a few Penticton Vees games and also gave a talk to the team. The last few months have been exciting for the Krueger family, Justin finished first in his pool with Team Germany at the World Junior Hockey Championships and now his father has made history with Team Switzerland at the Olympics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2006 01:24PM by pfibiger.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 09, 2006 02:27PM

Oh, wow, Ralph Krueger's son is coming to Cornell! This could set up a major Swiss Connection. :-D

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: new defenseman
Date: March 09, 2006 09:33PM

Interesting news about Krueger. Good size, once he fills out a little more. I love the fact that he's a coach's kid.

Here's some updated numbers -- includes tournaments games, select games, playoffs, etc. It's not complete, but I think it's pretty close. For goalies, games played is based on minutes (roughly).

Gms	Gls	Ast	Pts
Blake Gallagher	69	36	29	65
Colin Greening	57	31	38	69
Justin Milo	56	26	21	47
Brendon Nash	53	 9	34	43
Tony Romano	58	68	72	140
Joe Scali	43	21	23	44
Justin Krueger  60       7      16      23
	       Gms	GAA	SV%
Ben Scrivens	45	2.36	92.3
Troy Davenport  32      2.63    91.9

Posted by: ebilmes (---.0.127.207.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 09:40PM

I know Romano plays in a weak league, but he's got to have some talent to put up those numbers.

Date: March 09, 2006 11:15PM

ebilmes
I know Romano plays in a weak league, but he's got to have some talent to put up those numbers.

The level of play in the AJHL is cause for caution. It may take Romano longer to adjust than some of the others in his class. What's encouraging is how well he seemed to play in the Viking Cup, which was clearly a step (or two) up in competition.

Date: March 10, 2006 05:28PM

Well, there will be freshmen next year who do not play or at least are not regulars. I wonder who they'll be. My money is on Romano to be one of them for the reason that ithacat stated. It is obviously an adjustment for anyone to go to the college level, but particularly guys like Romano who have been playing at such a comparatively low level. Greening was in a similar situation and he deferred and has spent the year at a much higher level than he was in last year.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.cupolice.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2006 02:09PM

Justin Kreuger-RD (3/7/06) Penticton (BCHL) 6'2 205 10-6-86 55-7-15-22-25

Date: March 14, 2006 02:23PM

Cop at Lynah

Is that 10x2+5 or 5x5? :-D

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: March 14, 2006 02:49PM

Trotsky
Cop at Lynah

In this case that's (10 x 2) + 5 if you want to be mathematically correct about it.;-)

Date: March 14, 2006 02:51PM

Rich S
Trotsky
Cop at Lynah

In this case that's (10 x 2) + 5 if you want to be mathematically correct about it.;-)

It's fine, x has precedence over +.

Re: OT: Rich S, go play golf ;-)
Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 02:57PM

Rich S
Trotsky
Cop at Lynah

Actually, no. In this instance, order of operation makes the parentheses redundant. As Colbert says, "Equations are the devil’s sentences. The worst one is that quadratic equation: an infernal salad of letters, numbers, and symbols."

Edit: or better yet, "Facts can change, but my opinion will never change—no matter what the facts are."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2006 03:08PM by atb9.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 15, 2006 10:37PM

Interview with Colin Greening. [www.hockeysfuture.com]

Re: Recruits 2006: Davenport back in Ithaca?
Posted by: ben03 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 01:16AM

not wanting to sift through the both recruiting threads please forgive me if this is very old news ... but Heisenberg lists
Troy Davenport-G (2/26/06) Des Moines (USHL) 6'0 170 1-5-85 Will return to team as junior

if this is old, please disregard. it's been a while and i'm a few months behind. :-/

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 08:06AM

Functionally yes it does but I'm looking at it from the point of view of the way it is taught to middle-schoolers.

They are told to use the parentheses to remove all doubt as to the order of operation. Even high school kids get it wrong some times. :-D

Date: March 16, 2006 08:44AM

Rich S
They are told to use the parentheses to remove all doubt as to the order of operation. Even high school kids get it wrong some times. :-D

And Clarkson graduates ;)

I kid, I kid... :-}

The next Moulson? (literally)
Date: March 16, 2006 10:13PM

An interesting little tidbit from CHN's ECAC Notebook [www.collegehockeynews.com] :

"We've all been playing hockey since we were pretty young. I've got a little brother coming up too, so hopefully he'll be at Cornell soon." - Matt Moulson, whose sister plays for Niagara, stealing a hopeful glance at coach Schafer.

So, anyone who cares/has the time, want to look up the younger Moulson's stats to see if he's good enough? (And, for that matter, how old he is?)

Re: The next Moulson? (literally)
Posted by: scannon (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 16, 2006 10:30PM

This site had a very sparse profile of Chris Moulson but the team's website had someone else with his jersey number so decide for yourselves.

[www.midwesternjrb.com]

Re: The next Moulson? (literally)
Posted by: pfibiger (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 10:36PM

Will
An interesting little tidbit from CHN's ECAC Notebook [www.collegehockeynews.com] :

"We've all been playing hockey since we were pretty young. I've got a little brother coming up too, so hopefully he'll be at Cornell soon." - Matt Moulson, whose sister plays for Niagara, stealing a hopeful glance at coach Schafer.

So, anyone who cares/has the time, want to look up the younger Moulson's stats to see if he's good enough? (And, for that matter, how old he is?)

Looks like his brother is Chris, he's played this year both for the Kitchener Dutchmen of the Midwestern Jr. B and the Mount Carmel Crusaders (a secondary school).

[www.midwesternjrb.com]

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login