Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Tickets for Games at Lynah

Posted by Jeff Hopkins '82 
Tickets for Games at Lynah
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---)
Date: August 14, 2002 06:10PM

I don't know if this is covered in an FAQ somewhere, but I was wondering how an alumnus living in Pennsylvania about 3 hours from Ithaca could get tickets to individual games at Lynah.

I spoke to the ticket office and their answer was "Well, we have a few tickets that go on sale at 6:00 on the morning of the game, but they go pretty fast." That doesn't really give me a warm feeling about getting in. And I've never seen a hockey ticket for sale on their online service.

I'd appreciate any advice from the experts, both honest and devious, that can get me into a game.

TIA,

Jeff

Re: Tickets for Games at Lynah
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: August 14, 2002 06:29PM

This board is actually not a bad place. A number of us have season tickets in C and live in parts of the country where we can only get to Lynah a few weekends a year. (I, for example, expect to be looking to unload two tickets to every home game except Harvard, Brown, and BU.) Most of us are happy to let our seats go for face value.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: August 14, 2002 09:03PM

From observations (though not experience), you can generally buy tickets by the box office (if not FROM the box office) at the start of all but the biggest games. Whenever I walk in that way, I always see people selling.

Posted by: Anne 85 (---)
Date: August 14, 2002 09:55PM

According to the season ticket renewal form:
[Q]Single game tickets go on sale Oct. 16. [/Q]
So, if you know in October which games you'll want to attend over the winter, you can give it a shot. The letter doesn't say what time tickets go on sale, or whether there's usually a long line, etc.

Good luck!

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz '84 (---)
Date: August 14, 2002 10:41PM

Hi, Jeff. I'm in a similar situation and here's how I handle it. Although this board is a good place to buy individual game tickets, another option is to contact the opponent's ticket office and get tickets in section O. At my age (40 this month, yikes!) I actually like to sit for most of the game and it's also a lot of fun to watch the anctics of our student fans in sections A, B, and C. Occasionally you get to sit near a notorious opposing fan like the Princeton Tiger Mom or the grouchy old Yale fart, which gives you good fodder for this bulletin board. In addition, you always almost sit on the glass and get to watch CU on offense for two periods, which also gets you into intimate taunting distance of the sieve variety. Besides, you're close to the bathroom and exit. Good luck.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: August 15, 2002 12:15AM

Good point--I used to buy visitors' tickets in O (Mom and I would typically end up on the platform above A anyway, so it didn't matter where our seats were) before I gave up and got seasons. If it's a popular game like Clarkson or Harvard, make sure you try early, though, since you won't be the only one with this idea. Also, be warned that Harvard has an elaborate pecking order to determine who gets their tickets. One year I ended up with three pairs of tickets for the Cornell-Harvard game at Lynah, since I kept getting people with closer and closer Crimson Connections to call in. (I sold the four extra tickets at face value, although if I'd scalped them, I could have financed a lot of my trip.)

Also, note that Colgate and Clarkson actually bring bands and significant number of fans, so you will be outnumbered in Section O for those games. (Also, in recent years, some folks have made Cornell look bad by going overboard with the hostilities directed towards groups of visitors. Remember it's supposed to be fun, folks!)

Posted by: French Rage (---)
Date: August 15, 2002 09:08AM

Worst comes to worst, you can always get a scalped ticket (outside the Field House) ranging anywhere from $5 to $15 depending on the game quality. That's how those of us who didn't get season tickets freshmen year were able to go to every home game (even for Harvard there are alot).

Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: August 15, 2002 12:50PM

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:

Harvard has an elaborate pecking order to determine who gets their tickets. One year I ended up with three pairs of tickets for the Cornell-Harvard game at Lynah, since I kept getting people with closer and closer Crimson Connections to call in.

Harvard has an obfuscated, byzantine caste system for getting tickets? I don't believe it...

Posted by: French Rage (---)
Date: August 15, 2002 01:58PM

At Harvard, 93% of the students get section A seats, even though 40 years ago their work would only earn them section C seats.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---)
Date: August 16, 2002 12:28PM

Scalped tickets at Lynah? Say it ain't so!

My how times have changed since when I were a lad.

Actually it's useful info.

tnx all,

JH

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz (---)
Date: August 16, 2002 02:08PM

Can you edit messages here? I misspelled a word in my previous post. Not good form for an English teacher. If you can edit posts, please tell me how. Thanks.

Posted by: jy3 (---)
Date: August 26, 2002 08:11PM

about those scalped tix...it is interesting how some people insist on only taking face value for the tickets while others want more...someone wanted a couple bucks above face value for tix last year and i asked him if he was going to go to the game if he didnt sell the tix. of course he said no, so then I told him it must stink to lose $12 instead of breaking even ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login